THE LEDGE

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by JRibbons, Aug 9, 2016.

1. hoffmann.sama

hoffmann.sama Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Narrative Based Game?
    Narrative Driven Game?

Hope those help, great game btw. I play it about once every 2 weeks for inspiration and I always end up seeing something new that I like.

Steve is kinda a dick and maybe thinks with his as well.

Marquise* and JRibbons like this.
  2. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ah, wow! That's very flattering! Thank you!

Narrative Driven Game is probably closer, but it doesn't preclude, say, Super Mario which is 'driven' by the narrative of a stolen princess. 

Maybe Game Driven Narrative?!

Marquise* likes this.
  3. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Wow, this is right up my alley! Gonna try this out tomorrow.

JRibbons likes this.
  4. hoffmann.sama

hoffmann.sama Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If mario is driven by a stolen princess your story is driven by the character on the ledge. seriously, we know more about him than steve, well until the end and thats if you pay attention and talk to npc's. I also checked out your website, watched a couple of your shorts and played a little bit of duran duran, I got a heartbreaking ending haha.

it's up to you, but when the argument was made in my game development class tuesday, I wish I heard of a Game Driven Narrative, because some students argued if a narrative driven game like Heavy Rain was a game at all.

well good luck to all your new creations and thanks for making The Ledge. 

JRibbons, kovak and Marquise* like this.
  5. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Played it and liked it! Though, nothing is perfect so I have a few issues to address:

I liked the graphics and graphical effects. Top notch. I also liked the premise though I realized the cop had to be the guy his wife was cheating him with. Most of the dialogue was good as well. However, the way he called that woman babe seems totally unrealistic in the given situation, just as calling the dude in the elevator rear end in a top hat. Also, some parts of story execution could be improved: when the cop get's out of the car, there's no music playing. I got a feeling like everything was a-okay. I needed suspense-driven music! The second part the story execution could have been better is when the husband finds his wife. He seems to be over it rather quickly. I'd like to see a way to feel his desperation, even as he looks around for a note. The way you presented the credits was a bit double, it was original but also broke the atmosphere. However, it's the end of the story so it's a bit like a curtain call, yeah, i'm actually alright with how you did it after all.

Anyway, this is meant as useful feedback, overall I really enjoyed it and will look out for your next projects.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
    JRibbons likes this.
  6. BigTaro

BigTaro Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Awesome game/story.  I really liked the twist at the end.  Gave me the chills.

What did you use to create the videos?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2016
  7. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Hi gRaViJa - thanks for playing! And many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I agree with you in terms of the dialogue and the extra music when the cop exits the car would be good - unfortunately, I had a lot of problems with the 'Wait' command which seemed unpredictable in how long it would wait across different computers. The game was made so I could learn the engine and there will be things I will do differently next time. Your feedback is very helpful in that regards. 

Thanks Big Taro! Glad you got some chills:)

The videos I made in After Effects. I am considering doing a tutorial on how to make them as many people have asked. I just have to find the time...

ALSO:

hoffman.sama - sounds like pretty healthy conversations to be having in your class. Heavy Rain was released into the world as a game, therefore it may as well be viewed as a game, even if that means it expands the traditional definition of what a game is. Wether or not you reach the end still requires your input, so in that birds-eye sense it's identical to Mario.  

So glad you checked out my website and films. Hope you found something fun in there!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  8. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Interesting premise! I´ll take a look when I have the time. 

You should make it like Sierras police quest, so that if the paperwork is not 100% filled out correctly the main character unceremoniously dies. 

kaukusaki and JRibbons like this.
  9. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Haha is that really what happens in that game?! I still haven't played any of the Police Quests, although they've always fascinated me.

Cop Simulator: Paperwork Edition, with all in-field missions removed, could actually be interesting in a weird way. A story could emerge from the perp sheets about an investigation. 

kaukusaki and Canini like this.
  10. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

More or less but I kinda misremembered. What happens is if you do not follow procedure exactly you get fired, if you do not follow procedure when using your car you get a flat tire (which hilariously results in a game over). You do get run over if you do not look both ways and press the traffic light button every time you need to cross the street, though. 

And paperwork could definitely be used to tell a story, just look at Papers Please and Republia Times. 

11. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I love this! It's a creative concept and is very well executed.

JRibbons likes this.
  12. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    A flat tire can sometimes feel like game over in real life, too. 

You're right, great examples. I'm sure there's an audience somewhere out there for it...

Thanks Authumbla! Glad you enjoyed it:)

Canini likes this.
  13. Alonaria

Alonaria Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I loved this!

It's always great seeing short little stories like this that I can play when it's a busy day but I want to just unwind for a bit or something.

That twist was great, though, haha!

I can tell that you put a ton of love and care into this. It goes to show that longer story =/= higher quality all the time. XD

Keep up the awesome work, I'd love to play more by you in the future~

14. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    That's really lovely of you to say Alonaria. I like them short too. Losing patience for the longer games as I get older. 

Glad to know you can feel the love and care:)

I love your art too, by the way!

15. Misterblack

Misterblack Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I absolutely loved this game! I went back and played it a few times and used different responses just to see what kind of reactions/outcomes I'd get! Great little game! Hope to see more from you in the future!

JRibbons likes this.
  16. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks Misterblack! There'll be another game!

17. Necro

Necro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This was the first RPG Maker game I've played in years and I have to say it was great. I'd be happy if my first attempt at a game to learn the engine is half this good.

JRibbons likes this.
  18. JRibbons

JRibbons Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks Necro! I look forward to seeing what you make! 

19. Maxjonathay

Maxjonathay Jonathay Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hello, that was a great game with an interesting history, and a good message. I'm here asking permision to translate this game to Brazilian portuguese.

JRibbons likes this.
  20. waz

waz Veteran Veteran

Just played the game...      ...deym steve sure is an a**hole. The story was really nicee :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2016
    JRibbons likes this.