chalkdust

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I'm trying to complete a few reviews each day, and figured I'd post a thread here to make it easier for those who want to review my project as well! This was a solo project completed in 30 days for IGMC 2017. Special thanks to all resource creators who made it possible!

Synopsis:

Step into the gooey metaphorical shoes of the least likely hero in gaming history, who must save his world from the greatest villain in gaming history! Witness the unexpected birth of a legend, embark upon a grand adventure, and uncover a sinister plot (among other shameless genre-defining tropes)!

Features:
  • Kid-oriented design (play-tested by schoolchildren!)
  • Ultra cheesy humor (dad jokes ftw!)
  • Novel character concepts
  • Linear story-driven adventure plot
  • Fantasy setting with a rich cosmology
  • Puzzle-based gameplay (simple to moderate difficulty)
  • No random encounters, default RPG engine battles, or leveling
  • No equipment or inventory management (only a few quest items)
  • Character progression based on a unique mutation system
  • A moral to the story
  • And much, much more

• Movement speed: starts out slow, but you get faster as part of the character progression! In retrospect, maybe not my best design decision given the time limit. Pay attention to the character's "Speed" attribute when you change forms!
  • Backtracking: this is intended, inspired by Metroid-style games where you pass back through previously explored areas once you acquire new abilities.
  • Critical path: it is possible to access a certain area earlier than intended. This should not be game-breaking, just an oversight in my mapping that has been patched for the future.
  • No quest journal: an excellent idea I will add to a future update after the contest! At first I thought it would be unnecessary since the path is relatively simple, but once it was suggested I realized it could be a very useful addition.

• By chalkdust
  • Made with RPG Maker MV, assets, and DLC ©KADOKAWA Corporation and Degica, Co. LTD.
  • Art: Avery, whtdragon, Panda Maru, hiddenone, Lunarea, Katakura Hibiki, Candacis, Indrah, MrPyramidHead, 魚圭, Sherman3D
  • Scripting: Galv, Yanfly, Tor Damien Design (Galenmareth), Hime, Neon Black, Shaz, Chaucer, Victor Sant

If you're reviewing this game and you dislike doing puzzles, here are the solutions for your convenience:

Bat Cave: The kids are in the upper right and lower left corner. Use Bat form to exit the cave across the hole in the floor.

Troll: Exit the cave on the upper level and use the plant hole.

Cornerstones: You have to backtrack a bit to find the four cornerstones. They are located in the bat cave, troll cave, slime cave, and the rat tunnel under the slime cave. Place them on the pedestals in the corners of the fortress.

Ghost: Gather the sage from the lower left corner of the map near the river. Gather the scarecrow from the little garden. Gather the bone from the burial site (use dog form and look for a faint whiff of the owner's scent near the left-center of the map).

Crypt lights: This is a simplified variant of a 3x3 "lights out" puzzle. The easiest solution is to toggle each light once. Use the blue flame on the wall to reset.

Pirate Ship: Bring the pirate a bottle of rum from the beach house.

Volcano puzzle: This is a more complex variant of a 3x3 "lights out" of my own design. Each spell circle douses three lights, and you can only activate three spell circles. There are 220 possible combinations and only 4 of them actually douse all nine lights. The most effective means to naturally solve the puzzle is to activate one, find a second spell that doesn't overlap with #1, find a third spell that doesn't overlap with #1 or #2, then activate them all at once. However, you could get a #2 that doesn't have a corresponding #3, so you'll need to pick a new #2 if that happens. If you don't want to go through all that trouble: activate the bottom spell on the right side and the two spells in the upper left corner (4, 10, and 11 if you assign the spells the numbers on a clock face).

Entry page:
The Legend of Protey
Game page: The Legend of Protey
Speedy version:
The Legend of Protey (Speedy Version)

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can you please add a few screenshots to comply with our game topic rules?

chalkdust

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can, but for some strange reason they're showing up as links instead of images. I'm using imgur and never had this problem before. (Edit: nevermind, got it. Direct links used to automatically post as images, but the system seems to have been changed.)

Last edited:

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This was a pretty fun game. Quite different. I found one spot while underwater that I thought I should not have been able to walk on, but I did.
I also did not finish the genie thing but went to the rock and broke it then I was able to move on.
Only thing I didn't like was going so slow at times. The horse helped.

chalkdust

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed the game! If you're at the genie that is *almost* the end (and it's totally worth finishing for the story conclusion). There is a puzzle solution posted above for your convenience to speed up the final section if you don't want to fool around solving it the slow way.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No I think you misunderstand. not finishing the genie scene was not something that I couldn't do. I collected the treasures, but just went to the rock and not back to the imp. I finished the game.

chalkdust

Resource Staff
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Awesome! Yeah, I misunderstood the first time but skipping that is unintended. It didn't make it into the IGMC version but I've patched that for the next update. I appreciate you playing and giving your feedback! Send me your link if you've got an entry and I'll be happy to give it a playthrough!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

While we prepare the official trailer, enjoy this kind-of-second teaser! ^^
-Ele
New Episodes of RPG Shenanigans Uploaded to Youtube!

Episode 5 - Surprise Party!
Youtube Link:
Episode 6 - Killer Gin
Youtube Link:
Episode 7 - Gaia's Melody: Echoed Melodies
(Coming soon!)

Episode 8 - Clarent Saga: Tactics
(Coming soon!)

Episode 9 - Star Shift
(Coming soon!)
When the Map Generator throws in the assets in the most dumbest way possible - your path is blocked :D

I went to sleep at 3 am because of my anxiety. Set up my alarm for 7 am so that I could have sasagues for breakfast and do morning routine before lessons starts at 8 am. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep even after my lessons finished because I have to visit my grandparents today I was sad bc I was really tired. Thats when I realised. My lesson starts at 9 am. I could get one extra hour of sleep if I didnt forget it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WDRS