RMMV The Long Road (Demo Available)

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

2/25/2017 Update: A new version of the demo has been released! Enjoy!

The Long Road is a heartwarming, hilarious and (sometimes) tragic Adventure RPG scheduled to release in Q3 2017 on Steam.
At least 5% of all proceeds will go directly to fund no-kill animal shelters!
The game features 100% fully custom graphics, sound effects and musical assets!

Everything is being made in RPGMaker MV entirely by myself (with the exception of some plugins, credited below), Leo_Heart .

You can download the demo right now by clicking above (or here)!

You are a cat.
The only love you have ever known is that of a small child's.
Innocent hands that always held, never harming you.
Now, caught in the turmoil of a dissolving family, you are left behind.
Find your friends.
Find your strength.
Find yourself.
Find your way.
Home.

Cleo
Spending most of her life compulsively taking care of animals has left her feeling restless and empty.
Questioning why she always feels the need to "fix" others (and maybe to seek a bit of excitement too), Cleo joins you on your quest home!

Hunter
His ruff and rowdy nature conceal a gentle and wounded heart.
After being saved from the brink of death, Hunter pledges his loyalty to you.

Douglas
Years of bullying has pushed Douglas to become an awkward shut-in with eccentric tastes.
With no friends or family and not much better to do (besides dance and play video games), Douglas decides to follow you home!

Whax
Rude and a little "rough around the edges", this coyote most of his time lazying about and smoking cigarettes.
Though your first few encounters with him prove to be quite the brawl, Whax seems disconnected from the ideology that motivates him.

You
With origins shrouded in pain and misery, you long to be reunited with a love that saved your life and molded your ♥.

Engage in challenging turn based battles that test your reflexes, brain and... dance moves?
Adventure through colorful and stylized areas like the Merciless Mountain, Spooky Forest, and Wild Rapids!
Run, leap, climb, swim and swing your way through a perilous side-view world.
Do battle with enemies that chase you, no random battles! Once knocked out, they're down for good!
Scour the map, defeat foes, and engage with quirky characters to gain adventure experience points!
Customize your character's abilities and stats through the growth system, no static and boring levels!
Enjoy mini-games! Weight-lifting, dice, duck races and the political campaign of an exiled frog prince await you!
Discover hidden characters, lost items and chose multiple paths down The Road.

Check out the first disc of the OST by clicking here!

Hunter Fighting Sample

Pet Cemetery

The Red Rock

Good Moooooorning

Timing Is Everything!

Just Your Everyday Store Owner

-Nuzzles-

No Pain, No Gainz!

Whacked On The Noggin

WARNING: MAY CAUSE CANCER

A Comfy Night

RPGMaker MV Plugins and Plugin Assistance Provided by:

Yanfly
Zalerinian
Ramiro
Hudell
Dekita
Tor Damian Design
Galenmereth
Orlando
Masked
MikauSchekzen
Hime
Moghunter
Procraftynation
DreamX
Bad Chalk
Galv
SumRndmDde
Victor Sant
Kath
Atreyo Ray

Last edited:

Andronius

Apprentice
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What a WONDERFUL creation you made, @LeoHeart .
Just by watching the vid and screenshots one can tell the huge amounts of work, customization and LOVE that went into creating it!
(100% fully custom graphics, sound effects and musical assets!? Chapeau!)
It's also Based on a Real Life Story (or many, to be true...). Perfect to sensibilize children (or anyone!)
Best of all, 5% of all proceeds will go directly to fund no-kill animal shelters! ❤
It's the firs time I see a game's income goes to Animal Protection, SO I HOPE YOU SELL MILLIONS THEN.
THANK YOU!

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just beat the demo, i give it a score of cute/10. Lots of attention to detail like bee's in the sunflower's and taking damage if you don't use the rope's. Nice old-school graphics. Cute story, wondering how many choices will come into play later, like knocking over the trashcan.

A few things that could take a second look, at least according to me. The bite skills mini game can be beaten by holding down z and it wraps around and records a fail if held down. The lifting mini game gave me some trouble on round five. Maybe have a few more battlers with the worms but maybe they will come later in the game. The shop also seemed a bit pointless, i guess you can trade all the items you get for expensive stuff like the key but for your first play through i didn't trust giving up items.

Last edited:

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I played the demo and I loved every bit of it. Being a mommy of 4 cats myself I got immediately attached to the protagonist and couldn't help but tear up at several scenes, including the game over screen. I love the graphics and the attention to detail (the ants behind the garbage can for example). I love Brock the Rooster and the sense of humor in general. Argh.. I love everything about this, and the cause attached to it is also comendable and one that I am 100% behind. Best of luck and can't wait for the full game! :)

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
A new version of the demo has been released and all download links have been updated. This new version clarifies some of the game mechanics and provides some relief for RPG first timers. Some minor bugs have also been fixed.

I'd also like to take this as an opportunity to invite everyone to check out my development blog for updates! I'll be posting a lot more information there as it becomes available. I will also post some stuff relating to game-dev and RPGMaker dev in general.

An additional screenshot has also been added, see the original post under “Screenshots”!

Finally, we have our very first “Let's Play!” video made by a fan!

Full steam ahead!

@Andronius

Thank you very much for your kind words and encouragement. It is my hope that the players who enjoy the game will also enjoy knowing they helped alleviate the pain and suffering of an animal. I've already identified a few places that would really put the charity money to good use, and look forward to doing what I can for them.

@barnzie8

Thanks for playing the game and giving it a try! I'm glad you appreciate my attention to detail, it's something I plan on continuing with throughout the rest of the game. I completely agree with your feedback and have released a new version (see above) that helps explain the system better and changed the balance slightly.

@Yoraee

Really glad you enjoyed the demo and thank you for playing! I have a sweet little cat myself who has been through a lot, she's a great source of inspiration. I'm glad you've fallen in love with the game as much as I have! Rest assured, I am pouring every ounce of my time and effort into creating something that will exceed your expectations for this game. I cannot wait for you to experience the full game, meet all of the characters, and experience their stories. The game will be placed on green-light soon and the release is scheduled for Q3 2017!

Last edited:

barnzie8

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@LeoHeart Is this mostly a balance update any new story or gameplay? I didn't find the game too hard, except for those last two fights, but you can use a item that seems useless to buy some time.
Giving some profit to animal shelters is nice, but you need to pay a fee to get on greenlight? What if there is not enough interest in your game a units sold falls short?

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@barnzie8
Great questions!

It's mostly a balance update with bugfixes. Several new abilities have been added and can be unlocked as you purchase abilities. The game's difficulty is supposed to ramp up after that boss fight and I felt it was just slightly over-tuned (I only nerfed it by like 4%).

The current fee to get on Greenlight is $100 and I plan on paying this out of pocket. If I wait until the service goes away (which it will after this Spring) I may have to pay more.

Regardless of how many units are sold, a minimum of 5% of each sale will go to charity. Honestly, if I barely sell copies though, I will throw some of my own money into the charity just to help out more.

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Added a new screenshot that shows the concept behind Hunter's combo attack system.

Most basic attacks and abilities will have layers of combo inputs that must be put in the correct order. Not shown is a timer that displays the amount of time left for combo inputs. The idea is that you'll have a limited amount of time to enter several different key inputs, the attack/skill power correlates to how many you've gotten right. The entire thing feels very responsive and you can input keys extremely fast if you'd like to.

Enjoy!

Sauteed_Onion

Mmm Tasty
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Meow I don't know who you are, but I love how your game looks. The kitty meowing not to get left by the humans early on almost made me cry, meow.

Extremely well made, and I loved it.

TheOddFellow

Overactive Artisan Story Crafter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow, the things that are done using RPG Maker... This is a great example of originality in overcoming the specs of a game engine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just realized I have a few Steam gifts floating around. Anyone need RPG Maker MV or XP (Steam only)? Send me a message and I will send them on over!

EDIT: Just an RPG Maker MV gift remaining! XP has been taken.
*when you can do the Unity tutorials, but when you actually try and convert it to your own knowledge, it fails horribly*
Hi, I made a game for a competition. I need some players to help play and vote for the best game.

https://ekamu.itch.io/not4ever
don’t forget to rate the game here

Voting is open until 12 August.

Thanks.
Progresses. Tonight: refinemment, column, pitfall, bump and gutter (I'll leave doors for last, they are scary).
What is your favourite rpg maker plugin?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdoracio