The Long Road - New Alpha Released! (Updated 2/9/2016)

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

emkEEWS.png

This thread will no longer be updated, we have moved to the following thread:

enzq6W6.png

The Long Road is a heartwarming RPG Adventure title in development for PC, iOS, Mac, and Android using the new RPG Maker MV engine!

The game's lighthearted and whimsical presentation is complimented by a story about the pain of loss, the joy friendship, and the challenges of loving others.

The Long Road is a game where your decisions determine what kind of an adventure you and your friends will have.

ILK5Hhf.png

You have been left behind...

Alone and abandoned...

You must give everything you have...

All of your heart...

All of your strength...

To find the way home again.

But do not forget...

What you do on The Road matters.

8NfuVNU.png

General

Journey through colorful stylized environments.

Perspective can change between traditional top down and platforming.

Forge friendships with other animals who have been outcast, ridiculed, unloved or abandoned.

Stave off enemies that would see you devoured, discouraged, and filled with hate.

Objects in the game world can be interacted with, revealing additional layers of plot and character development.

There are no levels, and experience is gained not only by defeating monsters, but by exploring and making choices!

Customize your characters by spending experience learning new abilities and boosting your stats!

Enemies are fought by interacting with them in the environment and, once defeated, are gone for good (NO random battles!).

Converse with your party at any time for direction and plot/character development by selecting the Talk command!

Choices change the plot and development of your character and those around you.

Three unique possible endings.

Average 4-6 hours per playthrough.

Completely custom graphics, animations, icons, windows, music, sound effects, etc.

Battle

The Long Road utilizes a turn based side view, Turn Based Battle System.

Battles emphasize timing attacks, resource management, and understanding your enemy.

Varied, difficult and thought provoking encounters.

Study your enemies to learn how to defeat them.

Each character has their own way to generate the resource, ♥.

♥ is consumed when releasing a character's potential in combat.

With enough ♥, Finale attacks can be used!

Bosses will often require planning and specific party combinations to overcome.

Enemies will sometimes telegraph attacks, giving you the opportunity to counter with your own unique response!

uVBARte.png

Music will play an important role in experiencing The Long Road's narrative. Click a song and then read on!

Spoiler

The Weight of the Road (Theme)

Mountain Pass

Strange Twilight

On the Outside, Looking In

Whacks & Wayne

Time for Pawing

Into the Fire

Nobody's Friend

Masticating Mutiny

mtvAwI6.png

Click the spoiler button below to get a glimpse at the friends who may accompany you!

Spoiler

G8ISYyM.png

fcn1gQx.png

Pushy, Caring, Empathetic, Protective

Cleo lived in a veterinarian's clinic until she was left in other hands.
Motivating and mentoring, she ruthlessly defends those she cares about.

Skill Set: Support

ggI4GMQ.png

KGo0ovU.png

Loyal, Unpredictable, Passionate, Self-Sacrificing

Hunter was abandoned, left starved and chained by his owners who disappeared.

He is loyal to a fault and stubborn. Hunter follows his heart no matter how much pain it brings.

Skill Set: Pain

P4APSuH.png

VIle7RT.png

Lighthearted, Entertaining, Optimistic, Naive

Douglas is the social outcast of The Pond and is always the butt of every joke.

His love for dancing and collecting seemingly useless objects borders on obsession.

Skill Set: Dance

IqjJECV.png

uGyIjny.png

Intelligent, Articulate, Reasonable, Sarcastic

Terry the turtle is the royal adviser and protector of Francis the frog prince.

Both were exiled from their "kingdom" for being a little too smart.

Skill Set: "Magic"
Skill Set: Philosophy

ac1cLeG.png

6qhoM1K.png

Loud, Fickle, Violent, Talented

Belladonna is one of the most skilled mages in The Hollow.

Openly scorns her heritage and seeks adventure and love on The Road.

Skill Set: "Magic"

S9vTtv3.png

rdn5jrp.png

Skill Set: Friendship

5xfxEiP.png

Updated 2/7/2015

Spoiler

Sprites

FVYypur.gif

Cutscenes

isr2Evp.png

RnNQ6a9.gif

"Platforming" Perspective Battle Initiation

GzXEe8Q.gif

"Platforming" Perspective

LiY5Qju.gif

MkP6mWZ.png

ef4urt3.png

Normal "Top Down" Perspective

9dya53h.png

TpotRZU.png

5db2h44.png

0bvRJzM.png

Battle

Acq50fF.gif

E8ltBuC.jpg

Shop

YCADbWY.png

YzVKSHx.png

If you are interested in becoming an alpha tester, please click the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Thank you for your interest in participating in the alpha test of The Long Road.

A successful alpha test is instrumental in providing a polished and bug-free experience for potential players. Because of this, I have established some basic guidelines for what is to be expected of you as an alpha tester.

You will be expected to:

• Play through builds as they are released.

Though initially the alpha will only contain about an hour of gameplay, it will grow to be comprehensive and will eventually include the entire game.

[*]
Provide detailed feedback and communicate your needs, wants, ideas, etc.

• This is the most important aspect of the alpha testing process. It's quite alright if you find you cannot articulate your feedback properly, but I do hope that you will try. My goal with this alpha test is to keep communication close and open between us so that I can make The Long Road the best game possible.

• Play the game like a newbie, and then like an investigator.

It is my hope that when you experience game content for the first time, you will just soak it in and give a response of your first impressions. Then, if able, I would appreciate it if you tried to find bugs, test different routes/choices, etc. and give me feedback on that.

• Refrain from posting assets, pictures, videos and dialog/story information, basically anything, about the game.

Until a certain time comes, this is a strict requirement for alpha testing The Long Road.

Whew! Still interested? I hope so!

If you think that you can follow and adhere to the above guidelines, I would love to hear from you!

Please send an email to:

Leo.the.Heart.Dev@gmail.com

and include in your subject line the words “Alpha Tester”. In addition, include in the email any information you feel would be necessary, like why you are interested in testing, any other betas/alphas you have tested for, etc.

Also... being an alpha tester is not a thankless job. As a sign of appreciation for your participation, you will be granted the following perks:

• You will be given credit at the game's ending.

• You will be able to create an NPC for the game (details on this will come to you later).

• When the game is released, you will be given 2 steam keys for the game to use as you see fit.

• You will be the first to be invited to alpha testing for future projects I will be involved in.

Thank you!

I look forward to working with you to create a game that exceeds expectations!

9UBh7iw.png

I look forward to hearing what you think so far!

Scripting Credits

Spoiler

Yoji Ojima

blubberblubb

Atreyo Ray

Hime

Galv

DreamX

Yanfly

Vlue

Masked

Bodka

Moghunter

MikauSchekzen

Zalerinian, Ramiro, Hudell, Dekita

Florian Strasser

SumRndmDde

Tor Damian Design / Galenmereth

Cecilia Bishton | bad chalk

orlando

Dr.Yami

Procrafynation (https://github.com/procraftynation/RMV)

Last edited by a moderator:

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
Interesting art style. Did you make all the custom assets yourself? 

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes! I have been hard at work making all of the assets.

It is definitely my weakest skill in development, but I am improving.

Check out the newest screenshot, and let me know what you think.

Soon, I will be changing the outdoor area and making it more detailed/consistent.

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this particular look. That being said, I do appreciate the effort behind this. Custom graphics definitely give the game a unique look, and when there're too many similar-looking RPG maker games out there, styles like this really help this game to stand out from the rest. 

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for your feedback!

What specifically do you not like about the particular look?

If the graphics really do stand out then my goal has been met, although I know there is a long way to go to fully realize the style's true potential.

The goal of the custom graphics is to create something that stands out, I want players of my game to not even be able to tell they are playing an RPG maker game. This is because I feel the anime style, RTP esque typical RPG maker game is not the style that I would like to create this game in.

So essentially, I am shooting for something that feels somewhat cartoony and light hearted, but highly expressive and unique. Do you think that I have met each of these graphical design goals? Which could I improve on? This is desperately needed because I honestly feel graphics are the main issue I'm having with the game atm.

Did you find the characters/music to your liking/acceptable?

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
Oh well, graphics wise, it's a personal thing. I like anime-style graphics so I don't find this style particularly appealing to me, but I totally understand your reasons for not using RTP; hence I said I appreciate the effort you put into this. As for whether or not you met your design goals with the style you're aiming for... I'm afraid I can't answer that. Someone who likes this style is probably in a better position to answer that question. As far as cartoony style is concerned though, this certainly looks cartoony (considering your aim, this is good I guess?).

The music is really good. :)

As for the characters... this depends on the player I guess. To me, it's harder for me to relate to animal characters compared to humanoid characters, but given your aim, I suppose they can work. Again, someone who likes this kinda of style is probably in a better position to comment on the characters... :/

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Understood fish, and thank you again for your continued feedback. I see that you have done a lot to help give us developers around here get some great feedback, and I gotta say it helps a lot.

fish

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Mandarin
Primarily Uses
Np!

and yea, I'm working on a project myself, so it's always interesting to see what other people have. Not only do they serve as a source of inspiration, they also help me learn more about what RPG maker can do that I've never thought of. Besides, part of the reasons why I signed up for the forum is to meet nice ppl XDD

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated the main sprite and environments, outdoor area is under renovation. Working on getting all of the pixel ratios correct.

Cephalophane

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I like it. The concept is cute and the graphics are neat. I'd definitely be interested in playing it.

The best feedback I could give re: the graphic style is this: the outdoor set ought to look more like the indoor set — simpler and with fewer colours. The pixelation on the fence for example does no favours to the style. Maybe have a look at the earlier Harvest Moon styles or maybe even LoZ: Minish Cap.

Beyond that, check perspective a little. The couch is way off compared to the kitchen counters.

Good work though, man, lovin' it.

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated screenshots, will have a video soon and a demo within a month.

Thanks for your feedback Cephalophane, I am actually in the process of making the inside area look more like the outside area. The biggest difference is the pixel aspect ratio, which is fixed in the new outdoor area screenshots.

Enjoy everyone! Let me know what you think!

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Aw it's so cute :3

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you terrorchan :)

I'm hoping to strike the right balance of cute and cartoony to balance out some of the more... emotional game moments.

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Updated Screenshots!  I will have a dev blog up within a week and everything is going great! Just need to make a few more sprites and do a few polish pass-throughs and the demo will be ready.

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Saw your progress on the reddit. Nice. =]

Shade_Hunter

RPG Maker Creator who never releases anything
Reaction score
First Language
Finnnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Looking forward to play this! Best of luck in the development!  :)

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you for your kind words ash55 and Shade_Hunter, I seriously can't wait to get this game in everyone's hands. I work about 8-10 hours a day on it without ever feeling burnt out or unmotivated.

It's amazing how far The Long Road is coming along! I feel like I've improved so much as a developer and a sprite artist while making this project.

Progress is going good, I have been working on revamping the GUI and some functionality, while pushing through the creation of areas and scenes.

I have decided to include a bit more gameplay for the demo, so it has been delayed slightly.

The biggest change has been the complete removal of levels. Instead of getting levels, you'll earn adventure experience through battles, exploring, interacting with objects and other animals, etc.

Adventure experience can be used through the Growth system to learn new abilities and purchase stat/parameter upgrades.

Check the screenshots out, i've added a gif!

Also, check this spoiler for a quick look at the new interface:

puRNrXQ.jpg

LjNAeee.jpg

StC36Wh.jpg

LeoHeart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
So I've been hard at work getting the game ready for alpha testing...

Most of the what I've been working on lately hasn't really been stuff good for screenshots (ability animations, etc). So because of that, I decided to make a short preview video just to give you all a general idea of how the game is shaping up.

I know that things are a little rough around the edges, but hopefully you enjoy all of the work that went into making everything completely custom.

Please let me know what you think, and enjoy!

The Long Road - A Short Video Preview

I've decided that rather than a general release demo, I'll be accepting people interested in long-term testing of the project in about 5-7 days. I will have new information for all those interested at that time.

Thank you!

ash55

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just watched your latest vid. Keep up the good work.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.
That awkward moment when you're talking about thinking about writing a limited shop stock plugin for MZ and then find out you already wrote one...last May. My memory is so bad.
When I open my project and I'm like, hell yeah.
Some drawings I made in Lapis, one day I intend to involve them in some RPG Maker project.
* maybe two wall frames
*or some sprite flower tiara, or maybe it inspires someone to do something.
bdd19b62e539d17b3b00cc3d63034f7d.jpg

fcca5c8471b34483da8e032cfe579275.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L4TNG