RMMV The Lost -DpC- || Play the Demo now! ||

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Battle balance update:

- Balanced the combat more by nerfing the row buffs. Because they now give a smaller buff, players that don't understand the mechanic that well will have a easier go. While players utilizing the mechanic will still have a rather big advantage.
- Balanced some of the enemies because of this change.
- Changed a bug in the 'Rat plague' side quest not showing up the correct number of enemy kills in the side event.

Also another review of this updated version with an even higher score of 4.5/5 stars! Didn't expect him to play it right away and post it but here it is; :mrsatan::guffaw:

I instantly updated the game with some of the things he encountered so:

- Changed a few grammar issues.
- Changed a bug that showed the wrong amount of gold being taken.
- Changed the health of the Rikta Tribe captain to be 50% higher.

Hope you will enjoy if you decide to play the game! Don't forget to leave me some feedback one way or another ^^

awkaiyoki

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The Lost

Firstly.

After spending some time playing your game, The Lost, I don’t think I could add more credit than you’ve received so far. The introduction shows from the start a great understanding of what’s ahead. The digital art work, original and very well done adds to the feel of the game and what it is about.

Story.

The large area torn by war is detailed and has so much going on, it’s great, a really impressive amount of event making clearly, meaning you spent a great deal of time creating the scenes that really explain the setting complemented by the music along side, which does not feel out of place. Everything works closely with no holes to dig at.

Player experience.

I really did want to note how player friendly it is when playing. There is a tutorial tied in with the game play offering the best way to learn and play. There is no sense of feeling lost in the maps when exploring, key signs such as the red X’s display the boundaries of where you can and cannot go to. There are also prompts of where loot is dropped. I certainly enjoyed picking up the fallen soldier’s gold

Battle.

The battle system is a key highlight, with a neat set of mechanics, being able to switch equipment to use different abilities as well as give commands. Player movement really does offer a great feel of each action having importance. I also liked how some equipment that could be removed increases agility, these are small things which can be missed. I noticed because that’s something I’ve been experimenting with. Each action has a balanced effect making the battle feel fair and not too one sided.

Animations and Art.

The animations are very well made and well, we can’t escape the RPG Maker sound effects which were used. You’re battle music is original and fits the mood great. The artwork fits 100% and is very well made. You’ve taken your time to give the best quality and that really has shined through.

The creator

Your originality and story writing really work well together, I like that you were able to add some humour (without spoiling the game) when defeating a certain NPC early on. Given I spent just 20 minutes playing before writing. I really will look to covering your game more. You really know what you’re doing and the support from the people here really shows you can make this a great success, and I really hope, yourself, and your game become a great success. Good Job.

I hope you enjoy the review. No strings attached, wanted to show some appreciation. I'm getting around the review side of things, bare with me. :)

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thank you for taking the time to play through the first part of the demo and for giving me your opinion @awkaiyoki !

You're right about the sounds. I can also say that there are a few default animations for some skills. Both will be addressed when I've finished the game because I've spent so much time polishing that the game's story development came to a halt. I just wanted to point out that I know what you mean and it will be addressed once I finish this game.

I will be looking forward to more of your feedback, and if you find any other 'weaker' points it will be very appreciated as this game has gotten this far because of the input the RPG community gave me!

----------------
Edit 2-4-2020
----------------
- Changed the % chance when using shouts to move the enemies into a different row to 100% making it certain that the enemy will be moved (or indicate that they can't be moved). There is already a cooldown added of 2 turns. I did this because the misses when using the skill became tedious.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
I've received a 5 out of 5 stars now! He already played 1 part of the game and now he played the other part adding to his last score of a 4/5 to a 5/5! Here is the video;

He first played the game and after that the prologue. Was good to see someone playing it reverse order and finish is (even when picking hard mode).

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
A new play from @padr81 :

Updated game file contains:

- Grammar fixes
- 4 extra fights between the first 2 tutorials to give the player more room to understand the concept of the thaught mechanic.
- Changed the word turns for the skills that use them to actions as it better indicates what it does.

Future update;

I've decided to start looking for a composer for the battle victory theme, looking forward to add in a more suitable victory theme to the game as it is a huge part of it. A 'special thanks' will be added to the credit list for the composer of this tune!

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Updated version up and running!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- More streamlined and flavored text revisions.
- Small mechanic adjustments/smoothening of gameplay.
- Added and adjusted new fonts to allign with the size of the Balthazar font I use.
- Changed the amount of quests that could be 'gathered' when entering Dokta for the first time. Spread them out more in the course of the story in game.

https://rpgmaker.net/games/10810/

- Around 3-8 hours of game length for the demo depending on how side tracked you get.
- Any feedback and perosnal opinions are very welcome!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Hello there everyone! Here is a new update for the demo of the game that I just released.

Update:

- Reworked battle system to be less expansive and more compact.
- Reworked descriptions to be easier to read and more unisync.
- Reworked some cut scenes.
- Enhanced dialogues.
- Enhanced story to be more compelling in general.
- Fix minor bugs.
- Fix minor grammar issues.
- Changed items usage by 'smart' enemies to be more related to their level.

Hope you all enjoy!

My artist is working on multiple pictures for the demo part, hoping they will be finished at the end of this year!

Last edited:

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why did you simplify your battle system ? I thought that its complexity was a huge asset of your game according to your comments in the let's play.

I downloaded the new version but if you upload a new lets play before I can explore it, it will be perfect :)

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Update (because of feedback):
- Removed the TP skills cooldown and upped their cost.
- Small grammar fixes.
- Added a few elemental weapons to be found in chests (2 in the demo, 1 beyond that).
- Made elementals be able to receive damage from normal weapons (35% of normal damage).
- Changed items usage by 'smart' enemies to be more related to their level.
- Items: Ultima Cure and Tonic of Faith have their Tier group removed and have no cooldown anymore.

I also got some feedback on item usage and some minor graphic/visuals things, will be working those out soon so be ready to get another update with those soon! More feedback is always welcome!

Why did you simplify your battle system ? I thought that its complexity was a huge asset of your game according to your comments in the let's play.

I downloaded the new version but if you upload a new lets play before I can explore it, it will be perfect :)
I my eyes yes, it is a huge asset, but shamefully many did not agree with me! :mrsatan: So I changed it but kept the core values still intact.

There is a LP'r that told me that he would upload a video of it when he had the time. But I think that could still take a while, your choice if you can wait a few weeks or not :).

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
A new update is finally up and running! Enjoy an even further re-worked and stream lined battle system!!!

Feedback of players is still coming in, thank you all for that! Expect even more to come in the future!

Changelog
- Items usage is changed, items are spammable inside combate with a cooldown, outside of combat they are spammable but without a cooldown. Cooldowns transfer to the next battle.
- Added a Items explenation when the 'detailed tutorial' is picked when playing through the prologue. This about how the Tiers work and that it is bound per character.
- Updated the item information in the explenation book.
- Visuals; The water in the river looked a bit shallow for a river. Changed the rock visuals, added a big fish and repositioned the other fish. Also changed positions of rocks and made a bigger part of the bridge being destroyed.
- Visuals cactus shadows are the same now, they where different.
- TP Gain of +2 when using defend + updated info given to player adding the +2 TP on usage info.
- Changing equiepment can now be done infinite and not 1 time only + updated info given to player saying it can only be done once each battle to always and as much as you want.
- Battle skills icons didn't only change colour but also direction, made them face the same direction to make it visually more unisync and easier to see to what 'group' it belongs to when it jumps on Group CD.
- The default 'Move Forward' and 'Move Backward' every character has are now also instant casts but take 3 actions to get off cooldown and a limited use of 3 times in a battle.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
And the 2nd part of the re-work of the battle system is coming really soon! This will change a LOT but mostly simplefy the complexity of the battle system in general. I really hope this will be to the liking of many players as it will ease them into the game mechanics in a more friendly way.

I dare to say; Coming this week as I am making the final touches!

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
A new big update regarding the battle system;

I'm hearing people say that it resembles the 'paradigm' system of Final Fantasy 13 more now and I guess that is a good thing (haven't played FF13)!

- Reworked skills
- Reworked row system to a role system (more passive appliance)
- Reworked AI to this new system
- Reworked some other mechanics of other parts of the battle system to accompany the role system.
- Some small flavoring and changes regarding the story told, more foreboding and less mystery

Hope you all enjoy and you can always send me some feedback!

ADMtn

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Prologue Impressions

Some notes:

1. The art on the title screen and in the opening is kind of nice. Not sure if you would be able to use similar art throughout the whole game, but some consistency on that end would be great.

2. The prologue is too long for a prologue. Calling it a prologue creates two expectations: (i) it would be relatively short; (ii) it's a bit of story before the "real" story/game begins. Given those expectations, if it runs for too long then people will get impatient, partiticularly if they feel the progress being made won't really carry over to the main game (I think I read somewhere about you renaming something into Chapter 1; if you change the "prologue" into a mandatory chapter, that would be better). The prologue should serve as an introduction, but the player is bombarded with a ton of skills and gameplay mechanics.

3. The mandatory tutorial text is overdone. There's too much of it in large chunks. Most of the gameplay features can probably be quickly explained in one or two sentences and then the player can figure out the rest:

(i) "Kaan can move backward or forward in battle for different benefits and perks! Have Kaan move forward to do more damage!"

Obviously, you'd have to start Kaan in the Defender position for this to make sense; but that works out since he starts the prologue with only Mila in the party.

(ii) "Battle Skills do not take a turn but have useful effects and may require TP to use! Try [pick something, anything]."

(iii) "Weapon Skills are generally more powerful attacks or have useful effects. The do not require resources to use, but each Weapon Skill requires a cooldown of a certain number of turns to be used again!"

(iv) "Spells are powerful abilities, requiring characters to expend MP (or more!). Try using Mila's [whatever the spell's name is that she' sobviously intended to use to wipeout the enemy]!"

(v) "Items can be used for various effects, including recovering HP in battle!"

And... that covers pretty much all of your mechanics. You certaintly force the player to play enough battles, so if you put one or two of those suggestions into the first three fights, that should be enough. Shove all of the other text into an a common event which you pull up via an item (or a menu command) and you've effectively explained how to play your game without forcing the player to read several essays.

2. The meat quest might be broken or unclear.

I triggered the side quest in the cave, then I went outside and got a bunch of meat. Whenever I came back inside to try to turn in the meat to the starving NPC, the Jomal kept saying we should find some Meat. I already had 5 Meats or something in my inventory, so I gave up and moved on (and, obviously, the starving NPC died; sad).

3. Lag in the interface? This might be from the the fancy stuff you're plugins and pictures, but I've played a good number of MV demos and usually don't experience any lag. Not sure what it is. :/

4. The "\." pauses in dialogue is overdone.

I know you mentioned elsewhere that you are doing it to force the dialogue to show up at the same speed as actual speech. I think it's a mistake. People who play RPGs generally read at a decent speed. You shouldn't force them to stare at text when they've already read the entire sentence in an instance. It will only serve to frustrate people.

We're playing a 2D RPG without voice acting. This isn't a TV show, movie, a play, or even a cinematic game. Even AAA games allow you to bypass messages and voice acting by pressing the appropriate button(s). As such, the text here should be treated more like a novel. With a novel, the text isn't hidden behind arbitrary pauses. It's always there on the page (well, there may be some use of whitespace). Readers who prefer to speedread will read through it quickly while still absorbing all/most of the nuances in the text. Other readers, when reading dialogue, will automatically slow it down and add pauses so the dialogue sounds natural (which is what I do when I'm reading well-written dialogue). You don't need all of the forced pauses (some is fine, but I'm quite sure you're using too many).

Notably, you already have an option for the player to decrease the message speed. Let people use it. As of now, even with the message speed maxed out, it was too slow for me due to so many "\." pauses. A half fix is switching to Instant text (which I'm doing with Chapter 1, but it's not ideal).

5. "Important" dialogue choices set to default will result in accidental selections!

When sneaking into the big camp, there are dialogue choices to talk your way in without fighting. That's cool. I like this part of the game. I took the extra 1 second to memorize all the appropriate names.

However, when I got to the guard who asks the questions, I accidentally chose the wrong answer because I happened to hit the Enter key one too many times when going through the dialogue! This problem is exacerbated by the constant "\." pauses in the dialogue. People who find the text too slow will inevitably make an accidental dialogue choice.

Easy solution already provided by MV: Remove the default choice.

6. Delays when interacting with objects in combination with text that automatically goes away.

Another person didn't like how they kept accidentally re-interacting with objects. You defended this feature, saying players will enjoy it because they are free to move while the text is still showing. As it is currently implemented, this isn't quite true.

As it is, there is a delay immediately after the player interacts with an object (or even when they exit from a shop menu). The text pops up and the player is frozen for a moment, unable to move and unable to hit confirm to get rid of the text. This is why the great majority of players will accidentally interact with the object again (even after getting somewhat used to it, I keep hitting Enter again and see "It's empty" or accidentally speak to the merchant again in Ch. 1).

If you really want the text to be there while the player is free to move, you need to get rid of the delay entirely (i.e., remove the "wait for completion" for the object movement/animations for these objects).

7. Long battle animations.

Your battle animations (and YEP action sequences?) are well done, for the most part. Some of them are well above par and that's awesome. However, even with good animations, seeing them over and over will become tiresome (especially when you have a lot of characters on both sides of the fight and the enemy uses the same abilities as the players). You've obviously already noticed this problem because you implemented the feature that allows the player to speed through animations.

The problem is that speeding through the animations will also make players accidentally spam attack. Is it possible to change the button used to speed up the animations?

I prefer is to have animations be short, even if they are special abilities, skills, and spells (I guess my preference is more for Western RPGs where animations are more practical, and less flamboyant like JRPG-style animations descending from Final Fantasy VII's Knights of the Round).

8. Prologue pacing is too intense.

A high-paced prologue with constant conflict is fine. However, because the prologue is so long, the back-to-back conflict in the prologue becomes tiring. Kaan is rushing through fights trying to get to his daughter (and for some reason, instead of just killing enemy soldiers in his way, he keeps stopping to tell them to move out of the way as if they would comply). Then, in theory there could be a break once you reach the cave, but you're immediately given a depressing side quest which forces you to run back into the battlefield again (and fight more soldiers)., and the cave isn't a very long break either.

9. Covert option is nice. I'm a big fan of having non-combat options to resolve problems once in a while. So I was glad to see that in your game.

Anyway, I'll try playing Chapter 1 later and give you some more (hopefully positive) feedback!

Edit: Rather than double posting, I'll just edit my original post with my response to what I've played in Chapter 1 (I didn't finish, unfortunately). The following notes will be less organized than my feedback for the prologue.

1. Ragno and Kael's sprites are shirtless and have shoes, but for some reason they both can equip (torso) armor and Ragno can't equip shoes?

2. It's a bit disappointing that I couldn't simply rest on Ragno's bed. Having to pay 70 gold to heal doesn't feel great.

3. The crab-killing quest felt kind of grindy. Having that as one of the early side events will put a bad taste in the player's mouth. To your credit, it's a good thing that there are only 3 crabs on the map and it seems you can kill them all before even starting the side event (and immediately collect the reward).

4. I'm not a fan of the black screens when you try to enter certain homes in the Dotka village. It seems pointless. The dialogue could easily be shown while still on the outside map since Ragno technically isn't entering the home, he's talking to the people inside while standing at the doorway.

4. I almost did not want to accept Tahleea's side event simply because I didn't want Ragno to make his horrible joke (when he tells her she has good eyesight because she says he looks strong).

5. Kael stopping Ragno to explain about the merchants from Mehzun on the way to the Ritka seems contrived. Ragno should already know about the merchants. I mean, most people understand the concept of a merchant, and they can tell the guy is a merchant just by looking at him. Talking to the merchant, obviously, you can see the options to buy, sell, and heal. No tutorial is needed.

6. I thought it was odd that the Weaver (in Dotka) sold metalic armor. Seems the only thing she should be selling are the shoes which Ragno apparently does not wear.

7. I'm not a fan of the resource gathering aspect of the game. In my opinion, resource gathering only makes sense in MMOs because they have in-game player economies where players can trade and sell to one another (directly or in an auction house). MMOs and certain games which makes more money the longer the player plays (subscription, timed ads, or reporting how many active users are playing their game to Google/Apple) have an incentive to push these "low quality time" features onto players (though they have to be careful so as not to push the players to uninstall or unsubscribe). A single-player game doesn't need this kind of feature.

8. Overall, I feel Ragno should start the game stronger since he's the "champion" of the entire tribe. He's getting beat up by crabs, rats, and other random people in the village (Ragno's nephew mops the floor with him unless you grind a bunch to level up and get all the best gear). It breaks immersion a bit since Ragno should feel strong (like how Kaan is in the prologue) but he seems incredibly weak for most of the demo.

9. Once I upgraded Ragno, Kael, and Reem's gear to pretty much all of the best stuff available from the merchant near the Ritka village, it was nice to be able to beat up the snakes and crabs easily. At that point, however, the rats still took too long to kill (I think even Reem should be able to one-shot the little rats; maybe the big rats require Ragno or Kael to one-shot with their more impressive muscles).

10. In the Dotka inn, when I landed my finishing attack on the first wave of hooded guys, there was an error:

Type Error: Cannot read property 'resolution' of undefined
at WebGLExtract.canvas (pixi.js:29556:40)
at FunctionBitmap.snap (rpg_core.js.936:49)
at Function.SceneManager.snap (rpg_managers.js:2109:19)
at Scene_Map.terminate (YEP_X_CorepdatesOpt.js:7979:18)
at Scene_Map.terminate (MOG_Weather_EX.js:193:43)
at Function.SceneManager.changeScene (rpg_managers.js:1998.25)
at Function.SceneManager.updateMain [as updateMainFluidTimestep] (YEP_X_CoreUpdatesOpt.js:7880:12)
at Function.SceneManager.updateMain (YEP_FpsSynchOption.js:201:12)
at Function.SceneManager.update (YEP_X_CoreUpdatesOpt.js:7860:10)

Not sure what went wrong. Might have been because I tabbed out of fullscreen to write some notes during the battle.

11. I didn't finish off the hooded guys. At my strength, I beat the first two waves somewhat easily. However, the third wave with the boss was suddenly much more difficult. The boss immediately buffed his entire army of guys and Kael was immediately one-shotted. My team fought valiantly and ended up with only Ragno and the enemy boss left, but Ragno lost. Technically, I probably could have reloaded and tried again and won. However, it was too annoying to have to fight through two long, but easy battles just for the chance to try fighting a potentially unfair boss again. It didn't seem fun.

Difficult fights should never be separated from a save point by a bunch of low quality fights (easy but long fights). It's like forcing a player to watch a super boring cutscene repeatedly in order to try the real fight again.

You make this same design choice (I would call it a mistake, really) with the side event in the Ritka forest and the Fanged guys: a bunch of relatively easy, but long fights, only to be capped off with another long and difficult fight where the player might lose and be forced to replay a bunch of long fights again. Even if the combat is fun, it gets tiring if it's the same exact fights back-to-back

12. One of the big rats healed itself for 100% health. Sure, he went to sleep after that, but it is still annoying. I think, generally speaking, no one likes RPG mobs to have high health and also be able to heal itself 100%. That's just annoying. Also generally speaking, if there's going to be a proficient healer on the enemy (or even player) team, the healer should be easy to knock out so as not to be annoying.

13. At the broken bridge, after you fight the masked man as Ragno, there is a lot of dialogue when Kael comes running back. You use your Black Screen method there. Where instead of using events to show Kael's sprite running back onto screen and talking, everything just goes black and you describe it via text and dialogue. It feels like you were too busy that day to making a proper event. Maybe it's only a placeholder event because this is a demo?

Final Notes on Combat:

You're definitely trying to differentiate your game's combat from other RM games and I appreciate how difficult it is when relying mostly on the RPG Maker engine and other people's plugins (Yanfly's, mostly; I'm in the same boat).

I your enjoyed combat somtimes, but a lot of the time I found it cumbersome because combat tended to be long and the player had an extra-long checklist of tasks to do because of all the instant skills. I'll try to elaborate in case that doesn't make sense:

At first glance, the Battle Skills mechanic seems to make combat unique, but after I played a while I realized it was merely a bunch of Instant skills separated into its own category.

The pattern with your combat system: (1) check instant actions available (Battle Skills and Items); (2) check for applicable Weapon Skills/Spells; (3) if no Weapon Skills or Spells are useful at the moment, attack.

The extra thing in your combat system is the high number of instant skills you've separated into a category you call "Battle Skills." This does make your combat feel more unique than other RM games, but I'm not 100% sure whether it's good or bad (whether it falls into the pit of people trying to "customize" and move their game away from the default features of RM, but ultimately makes a less fun alternative).

At first, it was fun because having so many instant skills gave each character more to do. However, after playing through so many fights (in the prologue and a fair portion of Chapter 1), having to check two lists of skills for every character on every turn began to feel tedious.

The "Role" system is actually just the Row system

You don't mention the rows by number or location anymore (rows 1, 2, 3, 4; or front, middle, back row), but it's still the same. That's not a bad thing; I just originally thought it was going to be different based on how you described it in one of your posts.

Dealing with so many enemies in the Defender role and having them constantly block for their companions became annoying fairly quickly, especially when playing as Ragno and having only one option to knock the enemy out of position (the throwing axe). I suppose when the player has more skills to change the enemy position this might be more tolerable.

Quantity over quality

Notably, a lot of combat (outside of the level 1 to 5 area by the broken bridge) have a high number of enemies. There were too many enemies and they had too much health. It was tedious to fight through them.

This was worse when they could heal, resurrect (for 100% health), and push characters out of their position over and over.

The ability to knock a character into a different row/role should be rare (one enemy out of 10; or maybe reserve it for bosses and closer-to-endgame enemies). Tiny creatures like crabs certaintly shouldn't be able to do it so easily or so often.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@ADMtn Thank you for your feedback!

- Yes I've ordered more art and it will be added to parts where you see a black screen and the group talking with one another.
- Good idea of renaming the prologue because of its length, will definitly do that to represent what it is.
- Thank you for the examples, as that really helps to understand what people mean with shortening something. Will definitly look into it.
- Meat quest is broken atm. yes, I'm trying to find the bug with the meat as it is set up right in th editor, no worries though, I'll find it.
- 3 yes, though it is weird as some systems (like mine) don't have any troubles with it and some do.
- 4 yes, because of this you can set in the options to show text instantly or at a faster rate which will not let you have to wait for the \. and \| . I do think it is a personal prefference as I've had nobody point that out yet. But yeah, I do have the option to change that explained in the explenations.
- Removing the dialogue choice is a nice fail safe, I'll think about it and see how it looks/feels, as MV doesn't show you need to move the cursor first and that in my mind can cause a small confusion, but yeah, it shouldn't weight out against a 'mistake', but then again, I haven't heard or saw anyone accidently making a 'mistake' yet and pointing this out. I'll think about it.
- 6 I had just added the delay not long ago because of some people mashing the button and instantly getting the 'it's empty' pop up without being able to see what they got. So I added a 'wait' in there. I'll be honest, this is the best I can think of that let's it go the way I would prefer. I guess this one is a bit of a personal prefference for me :)
- 7 (I agree) but I'm keeping it in the middle more for exactly the reason that other people enjoy them. And my plans when I finish the game is to polish the current animations by a lot as my skills in this regard have grown.
- I've only added the two side quests in the cave to slow down that pace and give the player a small break from the main story (and after Timal a big break by doing the side quest in the cave). Yes, it is a bit of a immersion break as they are not bound to the main story, I'll look into the options provided to help the 2 small side quests to reflect Kaans will to help himself over Mila's and Jomal's will more to help others.

I very much appriciate your critical vieuw as it helps me to understand how other players see things. I'll definitly do some things with it as my next update is more polish rather then really changing something drasticly.

Will be looking forward to more feedback and I'll add you to the credit list for the awesome feedback you already provided right here! :mrsatan: :popcorn:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all those liking to know what is on my 'polish' list for the next update, this includes the feedback above. Keep in mind that these are my NOTES and will probably be NOT be implemented directly as written down as I see them as 'examples'/'thoughts' of how I could do it.

Next update of The Lost will include changes like this:
- Rename prologue to something more fitting- something that represents what it is because it is long. 'Mandatory' synomnoums.
- Side quests in cave reflect the opinions of Jomal and Mila more rather then Kaan's will if you select to help or not help.
- Change the big explenations to small explenations; example

(i) "Kaan can move backward or forward in battle for different benefits and perks! Have Kaan move forward to do more damage!"

Obviously, you'd have to start Kaan in the Defender position for this to make sense; but that works out since he starts the prologue with only Mila in the party.

(ii) "Battle Skills do not take a turn but have useful effects and may require TP to use! Try [pick something, anything]."

(iii) "Weapon Skills are generally more powerful attacks or have useful effects. The do not require resources to use, but each Weapon Skill requires a cooldown of a certain number of turns to be used again!"

(iv) "Spells are powerful abilities, requiring characters to expend MP (or more!). Try using Mila's [whatever the spell's name is that she' sobviously intended to use to wipeout the enemy]!"

(v) "Items can be used for various effects, including recovering HP in battle!"
- Name Story mode - Simple Tutorial
- Dialogue change to set default to none, this for a 'fail safe' so people don't accidently push their text through.
- More XP from starting enemies! Fast level to 3-5 from starting areas (aka dokta region west side).
- Add more battle items to use for the players with Mila at the start of the game so she becomes more usefull.
- Ending of the tutorial 'battle field is yours' still has the old icon.
- Items: All the same healing and battle items but different cooldowns from the tiers -> Delete the tiers.
- Story tutorial needs less explenation screens, remove the item explenation.
- Tweak AI when fighting captain after the bridge to not be in Role RITUALIST
- Tweak AI when fighting captain on the mountain on hard mode
- Less 'explenations' of Ragno's character (internal dialogue) in the 2nd part of the game.
- Look into enemies not dying when they bleed/burn etc. and try to fix that.
- Thoughts ( ) and Whispers * * will be coloured grey and ligh grey to add a visual que for the player that they are not just chatting.
- Level up screen will have small battle sprites included to give a visual que for the player who leveled up.
- Add 10%-15% defence to focus.
- Dokta, no black screens when entering homes, dissapear Ragno entering, re-appear getting pushed out.
- Change shop owners to also accept the player selling stuff to them.
- Add fanged warriors in the palm forest.
- Debuffing ritualist boss at the INN, his damage is too high because of the new roles.
- Make a new skill for healing for animal enemies, recupurate is too much.
- Make it easier for allies to move enemies (have at least 1 character that can move enemies from the get go, aka Ragno).
- Make 'STOMP' not push allies out of position, in general think about it being a 'special' move to move allies out of rows.
- Big troops -> With adding 'fanged' warriors to the palm forest, reduce the amount of rats in the troops so they are faster to kill to grind some XP-Loot-gold.
- Barrier doesn't show on the screen, remove the spell? Or try and fix it.
- Medicinal potion -> Cure fascination or/and tweak the AI into using it less if taken the hard route (switch on/off?) letting it depend on certain factor (x party members?)

Last edited:

ADMtn

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I edited my previous post with notes on Chapter 1.

Hope I'm helpful.

I think a lot of your game is already interesting as is. The story and world-building is probably the most interesting part (though I'm not a fan of how the Ritka are portrayed; the leader is the only one with lighter skin, it seems, and he's the only one who speaks with proper grammar).

Although I skimmed a lot of the "story lore" in the cave during the prologue, Mila's past and what Kaan was hiding became interesting!

Unfortunately, switching over to Ragno and going back in time took away some momentum for me (which is why I advise against flashbacks or prologues in general). However, it was somewhat interesting to see Lenta and Jomal while playing as Ragno (after getting a certain perspective on them during the prologue). Also anticipating how Lenta goes off with Ragno (and indirectly causes a LOT of trouble during the battle by making Kaan think she's out there fighting on the frontlines).

Like most people, I'm not a big fan of Kaan's personality, but that's obviously how you intended to write him. Hot-headed and kind of shortsighted.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
(on your 2nd batch of feedback)

1. You got me with me pants down on that, I like the visuals more hahaha.
2. ^^ Not gonna add free heals from the get go, but once you get to build a well in town (near the end of the game (not the demo) there will be 'free' heals).
3. Yeah, some side quest are more for the players that like to do side things when pushing through the main story. Like you said, I tried to put as many possibilities in there to make it not feel grindy and to make it feel rewarding enough.
4. Never thought about it that way, I think I'm gonna do something with that. I'll fade out-fade in the character while NOT showing a black screen.
5. I've had problems with people not understanding that they can't sell their things to a blacksmith or clothing weaver. I think I'll just get rid of that 'logic' thinking and just let anyone buy/sell stuff, it's just a nuisance now.
6. That's logical as she is a weaver, but I'll stick to her being able to sell all that as I don't like have to many different shops, I'll add a line when you talk to her at first saying she also sell some wares that the blacksmith helped her with.
7. People like to 'gather' things to 'build' stuff. As you certainly don't have to gather anything in start for anything other then selling it for money, you will need recources once you can build your own army and house them. So the recources are not for the reason you discribed (economy), it's just that the purpose of it isn't revealed yet in the demo.
8. Yeah, I agree. I already added some health for the next update to make him more sustainable for hits. I also let Ragno start with +1 level and let starting enemies give more XP + add 'fanged' warriors roam the forest (like the rats).
9. I do want ritualist to be weak at combat and their main purpose being a magic caster. I don't want (at least Reem) to be well rounded. There will be more 'tanky' and 'agressive' shamans to recruit but not Reem cause he is a starting character (got +/-30 characters to be recruited in game, going for a suikoden vibe).
10. I can see the relations of plugins interfering with one another but it does seem to be related to FPS and pixi in corelation with the used plugins, unlucky crash I will not be able to fix, sorry.
11. Yes, I've seen this happen to someone else! With the new roles, this mini boss suddenly became OP with his spell castings. I will de-buff his damage.
12. I will give the big rats a new skill that is mediocore on the heal amount, I feel you there.
13. Some 'black screens' are prone to get art made for them (not all), I already commisioned 3 pieces but my artist is really busy right now. As it is the last scene for the demo I do want to have some art there.

Combat conclusion: I am still polishing this, and the idea you gave is exactly what I'm still balancing after I released it, giving the player enough options to put enemies out of their rows too, I rather do it through their current skills, but adding some wouldn't hurt if it makes the battles more fun.
Quantitiy over quality: Yeah as above, I'm trying to find the balance and this information/your opinion will help, I'll be definitly looking into it!

------------------------

Updated the 'to-do' list in my previous post. Thanks again for all the polish suggestions!
@ADMtn

I also think switching to Ragno is a bit breaking in regards to what I've just let the player expierence, but as you mentioned, I'm hoping the interaction set up with Ragno and Kaan in the start will get them interested enough into the relations and what is going on with Mila and The Fallen.

Yeah, Kaan is an 'ass' and that is what I want the player to feel at first, though he has his reasons to be the way he is and do the things he does, I don't want the player to like him or feel much for him yet. In the end of the game itself and looking in retrospective, I hope the player will have more compassion for him and see that Kaan is ultimatly just trying to protect everyone. This will be made clear when the player reaches the point where Kaan and Ragno talk with each other just before the 'major battle' (and some smaller hints before that).

Well, thanks for playing man! You really gave me some valuable feedback that will hopefully enhance other people expierence once I've finished adding all the polish!

Last edited:

ADMtn

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh, yeah, I did get some of the little hints already as to why Kaan might be emotional and why he is extra scared about losing his daughter. It explains his behavior, but doesn't justify it.

I am a fan of Suikoden games. WIth huge rosters, though, you usually have a lot of characters who aren't developed very much once they're recruited. In the Suikoden games, you have some characters who have good dialogue throughout the whole game and have fuller story arcs, but then you have other characters who basically don't say anything ever again once they're on your army. Difficult to balance.

Obviously, if you had unlimited time and resources you could develop each character (hopefully without breaking the game's balance and pacing), but players will be reasonable and wouldn't expect every single character to be well developed when there are so many.

I hope you also have a headquarters to be built up, too. That's one of the cool parts of the Suikoden games; fixing up your base, adding stores and other functionalities.

Sounds fun!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Little early but to all of you that celebrate it :

Tomorrow is Halloween! I can't wait to go to Boxi Park and show off my costume! Also one of Dad's friends is staying the night, so he might get to see the show.
Here's the title-screen for the game I'm working on: :LZSgrin:
Oh man I've been struggling with event spawners and Qmovement compatibility for quite a while- went as far as to use a tool just to pick crops :kaocry: but Ritter got their spawner to work with Qmove and I'm screeing! It's still in testing period but just- the feeling of getting over a large gameplay hurdle is a HUGE relief, I'm so thankful to Ritter! It's a cheap paid plugin but totally worth it!
Welp, I just finished my favorite part of RPG making which is creating skills, now onto the tasks I like less so the motivation is lower. At least I'll get to create new ones while designing enemies!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valval