Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Everyone have fun gaming  :popcorn:

The updated demo is in the main post!

6-11-16: So far 6 little bugs have been found nothing major though: 

- All them bugs that were found have been squashed and the demo is updated! Give me some new ones please!!

9-11-16: Major update and some more bugs found. Thank you for messaging me about it!

- Gameplay is way smoother now because of much text box changes.

- FPS is way better in battles as I turned down the intensity of the weather system in battle.

- Some bugs are squashed.

- Visual changes in the cave for better sight, also made it possible to walk behind a bigger part of the mountains/walls in the cave.

- Some texts are compiled better.

- Fixed the PP stance system.  

15-11-16: Several changes, most of them are about the feeling of a real 'end' game product.

- Changed the rain to a lower rate to get the high FPS down a bit because of the lag.

- Fixed weather bug when fighting some bone crawlers.

- More texts are compiled.

- New intro and title screen to give more feeling to a 'real' game design. 

- New cursor design and interaction on the map. 

- Fixed some pathfinding problems for the tutorial fights that could be avoided by outrunning them.

16-11-16: Downsizing

- From 407MB to 307MB so a cut of 25%! Today I was not too lazy and downsized the music files: 284MB is the full size now. My goal to keep the end game under 500MB is still possible as only the music and sv battlers take up a lot of space. 

My results for speed playing:

I finished the game in 39:38 on hard with the extra thing needed to unlock the extra content. Now try to beat that you nerds!!!  BD  ... Ow wait does that make me a nerd? Though I guess most of you will be spending around 2 to 4 hours on it. Tip just take the easy ways if you want to stroll true the story or take the hard way for some major tactical battling!

------------------------------------------------

I will start working on chapter 1 again if there are no other bugs found before the end of this week. If you find anything or want to help me out on this project, contact me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, the main thing bothering me is the speed of combat but considering you're focusing on tactics rather than grinding, it's not really major. Moving on to the main nitpicks from playing the prologue so far:

1. The map theme, is it a desert? The rain is nice and all but you need to make it have a more dramatic effect than just being there just because right now it looks like an overused trope.
  2. The map used at the start some parts at the edge look a bit off, eg: Blocky, sudden end of map.
  3. Text speed is really slow, I assume you have many text pauses? (I know you said you can speed up text a bit but your game was lagging a heck-a-ton on my laptop already so that might cause more lag
  4. Your PP reads as TP.
  5. When they beat the captain, the captain calls for his men only for his men to run away? I get intimidation but this could've been done in battle where if you felled the captain, the fight would abort and you'd get the victory.
  6. In addition to above, the story lacks a build up, why was the war caused? What is the defining background to it?
  7. It kind of crashed for me in the Nomad cave, my laptop isn't all that good haha :p

Your prologue is a bit lengthy due to the text speed and battle speed mainly. The story itself leaves mystery which is amazing but adding a bit of human sense to it would cause it to jump leaps and bounds beyond what it is now and you can't use other media sources for that. Although desert games aren't my cup of tea, this one with all the different skills you can use and the tactical combat system itself really made me interested. I hope you take the time to reorganise the dialogues a bit, it's a mysterious story with a potential to reel in players.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@Solwern Can you elaborate on what you mean with making rain more dramatic? In my head rain is rain, I can adjust the heaviness of it but that will make the FPS go up again. After you enter cave F2 the rain will stop btw. so it is not for the whole prologue.

To answer your number 6 questions, the whole game evolves around that part, not knowing what really happened yet so the player will get enticed to keep playing and find out. After you finish the prologue you will get the message that states that you will go back in time 6 years. I guess I should make a little note that the prologue is a future thing that happens 'after' you played the game. 

Thanks for the feedback I will start implementing some changes!

Solwern

Dead person.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Solwern Can you elaborate on what you mean with making rain more dramatic? In my head rain is rain, I can adjust the heaviness of it but that will make the FPS go up again. After you enter cave F2 the rain will stop btw. so it is not for the whole prologue.

To answer your number 6 questions, the whole game evolves around that part, not knowing what really happened yet so the player will get enticed to keep playing and find out. After you finish the prologue you will get the message that states that you will go back in time 6 years. I guess I should make a little note that the prologue is a future thing that happens 'after' you played the game. 

Thanks for the feedback I will start implementing some changes!

What I mean by the rain is that your setting appears to be a desert, whilst it adds dramatic effect, if it isn't played into properly it makes it look like an overused trope in which many forms of media use the rain as a means of giving the situation a bleak feel/atmosphere. Rain in the desert is an extremely uncommon event as well so by having it in your intro it makes people who may be accustomed to those kind of tropes subconsciously devalue your game (in other words, think that you're using the rain just because.)

Tbh, the game crashed on me in the caves but I have to push some points here about Jomal in particular in that whilst we know he's really aggravated by the fact Kaan cares about Lenta more than the Dokta tribe, it takes away from the mystery by having him be so vocal about it.

EDIT: I really don't suggest you make a note about that unless you can't find a way to play into it. 

Good luck with the game dude!

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thanks man for explaining and the pointers you gave, I will make sure to look into it! I get what you are saying now. Rain is indeed uncommon and I only implemented it to add to the feeling of defeat and missery. I already have an idea about how to implement it a little better to make it an 'uncommon' thing. Most of the chapters will be in the sun and with sandstorms so I totally get what you mean by having that as the first thing that happens when you play a 'desert' game.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Something which I find very under utilized is the potential of sound to create atmosphere.  So here you're in a desert, and obviously rain is out.  But the sound of a harsh desert wind would go a long way - and it doesn't have to be an actual desert wind.  This site has many excellent (free) sound effects and maybe the 8th one down on the page I have linked to might suit your location.  But there are plenty to choose from.

Next, if you're happy to use a show fog script/plugin, take a fog graphic, tint it dirty yellow, set it to a very low opacity and maybe up the speed a bit, and there you have sand being blown around.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 Thank you for the tips! I use this website atm for sound effects so yeah I always try to utilize sounds as much as possible. I currently use a weather plugin to create a sandstorm with particles (something like the title screen, that will occur later in the demo), but I will be holding on to the idea to use the fog plugin for the desert map in chapter 2. 

*Updated*

- Text speed is increased a tiny bit as I still want the feeling of reading it the way they talk rather than just having text 'show up', but nonetheless, it is increased.

- Changed the starting texts to give a better introduction feel to the game.

- Minor things done. 

@Solwern You are right after 2 times that Jomal says that he does not like the way Kaan thinks it should be enough. I deleted the 3rd time, it is a little overkill there.

On another note, I would love someone to finish the demo to give me a full review some time ^^ 

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I thought I'd give this a quick look, but it ended up being quicker than I intended.

Points on the way:

At the very beginning of the opening cut scene there is a moment before the screen tint for this map takes effect.  Because it is the first map, I am assuming that you have not transferred the player there from somewhere else, so it can't be because you're relying on the default way of doing transfers.  I therefore can't offer any suggestion about what you could do to rectify it.

I was a bit taken aback to discover that at levels 14 and 15 my characters had no skills.  I later saw that there were some battle skills (I'll come to that later), but even so, it seems strange that they have no personal skills, no magic spells, no physical spells which do anything extra.  Perhaps they will get them later, but at the moment you are training the player to spam attack.  I say that even in the light of the next bit.

Got to my first battle, and I was presented with a lot of information.  I read it attentively, but knew that I had not retained anything like all of it.  Not everyone is going to know this system when they first start.  I then saw that I had battle skills, but couldn't remember what the advantage to me might be of knocking an enemy back a row or two.  So I carried on just doing attack, and that was okay.  I went to my inventory expecting to find a 'battle scroll' or whatever had been added so that I could look at all those details again.  Not there.  Oh well, I thought, I shall just have to practice that row business and see what happens.  However, next battle, I'm presented with a new pile of information, this time on weapons.  I haven't retained the first lot, so I know that I'm going to lose a big chunk of this too.  At that point I decided that I wouldn't be given the chance to learn this battle system properly, and not wanted to learn it via the non-fun procedure of endless game overs or near death experiences, I bailed out.

I strongly suggest that you find a way to let the player access that information on a permanent basis.  If you are going to drop the player straight into battle (which is a reasonable way to start) you have to make allowances for players new to your system.

Just a couple of general points.  Because I explore everywhere, I went north when I knew that I should have been going south.  I therefore hit the invisible wall at the top of the map.  I think it is a better experience for the player if there is some reason why they come to a grinding halt and can go no further.  Maybe something visual, maybe something else, the choice is yours.  But maps which just end for no obvious reason break immersion, imo.  The other thing I noticed was due to the fact that, like many players, I am a bit of a creature of habit.  I am used to interacting with an object, text comes up, I hit the action button again to make the text go away.  So it was a bit disconcerting to discover that this just kept me interacting with the object again and again.  I had to move away from the object and then hit the action bar to remove the text.  This felt very awkward and looked a bit weird as well.

I didn't play enough to give any overall feedback, except to say that I think your opening cut scene works well.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
@ksjp17 First of, thanks.

- The tint of the screen should be an easy fix but I will look into it and try to replicate what you saw. 

- I will make it clear to the player that there are a couple of introduction fights to the battle system before the player can utilize all the skills because there are multiple things to consider here (it is meant to make it less overwhelming for the player then having all the skills at once). Will try to make it more player friendly in the next update.

- I will add key items so that the player can look back into ALL the information that was given. Not only the battle info but all the things so the game becomes more 'beginner' friendly. 

- The overall idea of the story line is that it will be 'noob' friendly but 'boss' fights and most of all the 'side events' are challenging. Giving the player the option to have fun with the story line and doing side stuff as 'side quests'. If you already bailed out after the 2nd fight, it means that this is not clear to the player. I need to think of a way to let the player know that the battle system is mainly for the advanced player that is going for side events etc. 

- I get what you are saying about the 'sudden end of the map' part, it is like the comment I already got about the intro. I already know a solution but this will take some time and work. I will try to have it done next week. 

- About the text appearing and just vanishing without a 2nd button input; I implemented it to make the 'game flow' feel better. When you talk to something you can go to the next thing without it halting the game, this also happens when you open chest and stuff. I think I should make a note about that somewhere too so the player gets 'less' confused but I do think I will let it stay the way it is because it is just something the player will get used to very fast and in the end appreciate it because the game flow is faster (they can continue while reading and spam true 'lesser' valued texts, not everyone likes a comment text on everything when trying to find treasure). But I do think your right that it can be a bit disconcerting at first, I rather hear your opinion about this subject again once you have played the full demo  :D . Maybe you could give it another go once I implemented the things above but again, thanks for the pointers so far! 

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
There is a new update of the demo adding a lot of player friendly stuff. Also added most of the things (or parts) you all (the players) suggested.

I hope some people will test it out further now because I really like the feedback so far!

I have a question; does anyone know why my game gets almost 100 MB extra of data? It should be 140MB (as the folder says without distributing), when I distribute it, it adds 30MB making it 170MB total, and when adding enigma box to it, it adds another 50MB making it a total of 220MB...

*Edit*

Just did another update I found a lot of small glitches and bugs that made things look weird.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
I wasn't satisfied with how things looked at some points so I did some smoothening on some parts. Mainly message box positions, some parts of the text, how some parts show, minimap and compass still showing in cut scenes, etc. So I updated the main post with this update just now. 

Edit-

*Update* Added another round of player friendly stuff (icons on the mini map show interesting things so you don't miss out on all the content the game has to offer). 

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
I updated the dialogue and tried to fine tune some little stuff. I think the demo is ready but I would really still like some opinions. I full review would be the best. If anyone knows where I can find some serious testers let me know. 

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
After some major things in real life, this project has come to a halt till today.

I don't know for sure if I have the time in the future to finish this project but I will update this link for the demo in the first comment again because I kept playing it each month and found some little things I wanted to be fixed.

I have work done already for Chapter one but it is so rough and there are many things I need to implement and fix and still add that I don't know if I will ever get there... What I do know is that I do want to finish this game as I already find it way to awesome to just not finish and I believe people will really like the idea behind this game and the story line that is in it.

Well that it for today hope I get more time in the coming months to give more updates about this game again!

Last edited:

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Good luck and take care IRL. :) We will still be there ;)

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Thank you, @Marquise* tough nothing bad was going on just a lot (and I mean a real LOT) of work has been coming in in real life so I made a lot of hours. But I have been spending much time again on adding and smoothing out much of the game. It is hard when you are a perfectionist like me (never happy with the result) and want to show something off. But making this game also helps me out to grow as a person and it gives me good pleasure to see how the game is turning out. I just need to find ways to get more people to pick this game up in the future and start gathering people that will attach themselves to helping me develop this game. Easier said than done with indie games hahaha (even with A and B rated games 2 this time around).

Well just wanted you guys to know I will be releasing a new version tonight with some major changes. Here is a list of things:

- Deleted the chapter system, doesn't give the feel of anything extra but graphics. Letting the game just continue as you progress feels more satisfying.
- Added custom shadows to the outside perimeters of the houses in the main village.
- Filling up the main village with NPC's, rewarding side events, good and interesting dialogue and more story lore.
- Fixed minor bugs so you can play it out till the main story 'end' and you can play freely after that and save your game so you can continue after I update the game in the future.
- Downgraded the end boss and fixed some glitches that could occur when using certain skills and text boxes not appearing then. Also fixed the transition from 'prologue' to 'chapter 1'.

Cons:
- Still, need to put all the new dialogue true grammar inspection and fine tuning for the best result to be able to bring over the intended feeling.

So in short, everything is organized again and up and running. I will need to look into my resource archive and implement the things I want into the game for the more custom feel of the game but I will just keep doing that while developing the game till the end.

The Lost Download at the main post.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Alright, I have done a full sweep of all the texts and it looks great and feels great again (at least my feeling :guffaw:). I also implemented a medium sized side event and started laying the basis for continuing the main storyline. There are also some graphic customizations that I added and I am trying to get a serious tester to get to play this game for a review (still need to get the terms done but it looks promising).

I still have tons of work on the content that I have laying at the moment (that's already playable) that I want to further optimize and get to my standards but I am proud to say that I am getting there step by step. Seeing as I have done nothing but updating the game every day I can say that I am fully back on track on committing myself to really make a full game out of this! Stay tuned!:popcorn:

- Been resource hunting for 2 hours and found me some new goodies to implement. I guess I will be more focused on changing and adding graphics the coming weeks but like I said also try to continue work on making the game itself bigger.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
As I can't get together the next part of the main storyline I ended up paying more attention to my tileset sheets and made a major graphic update. It should give more feeling now that you are in a desert and just look nicer.

V1.05 download in the first post.

RMZenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Opening battle field sequence really need some work as I can't quite figure out where to go clear enough

I got stuck after crossing bridge and when I try to save, game just crash

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Opening battlefield sequence really need some work as I can't quite figure out where to go clear enough

I got stuck after crossing bridge and when I try to save, game just crash

- Do you have more information about the save error? I can't pinpoint its error origin. I already tried to fix it when releasing V1.06 by removing face sets as I can't replicate the error.

I did see that yanfly save core was out of date and that he did find an error in 1.3 (I was running 1.2)

Version 1.03: Fixed a bug that caused web saving to not work properly.

Now I do not use web saving but I do use an alternate save location then RPG maker itself. I hope this will fix this problem.

- You did not get where to again after the 1st second you are able to start playing after the opening cut scene? There is a compass pointing you where to go in the upper left corner and there was a pointer in the chat that was colored where you should be going. Though the compass pointing you where to go should be clear enough. Or is this not what you mean?

Alright, it should be fixed. Updated the main post.

Last edited:

RMZenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
I just downloaded 3/13 version and got same error- img/characters/Package1a.png
happens when accessing save menu

Regarding navigation, compass doesn't help much in this case.
For example, last time I played the compass saying destination is right front of my character and distant was '1', and that
was position of supposed enemy captain NPC, yet it does nothing when I activate it. I tried to reach that point by other
direction to only find out it all blocked off by that... upper text box notice(I mean that yanfly plugin).

Similar thing happens before bridge. I know my destination is somewhere in the east but I couldn't find way to get there.
I can see one line of open space leading to destination but it was that very line of inaccessible area, so I assumed there
are different route to get there. After several attempt of activate everything it turns out one specific soldier who stand
right above of that inaccessible line, and it was bit of frustration.

I think it will be better if you give more clear route, and some more space on event occurring location.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey RPG members!!

How do you finish projects? Some new game developers start off strong but end up losing momentum. What keeps you motivated while working on new projects?
Feeling wee sleepy.. ZzzZ
So many threads to move to the right place. My post count is awesome, but 95% of it is due to moving things.
So...I decided to make music for my game... Because i've never done anything musical in my life. I even failed music in school, you basically just had to show up to pass and I somehow failed xD
Original Character Contest Winners Season 3 Pack! is now live!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ukazi