The Lycan ABS

Discussion in 'RGSS Scripts (RMXP)' started by DerVVulfman, Jan 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DerVVulfman

DerVVulfman Resident Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP

[​IMG]
    Version: 12.1

Introduction
    Rather large, it is my intent to replace the MrMo ABS and add my own add-ons along with additional enhancements all built in.

Features

• One kickin' ABS with explosive missiles, be it from a firearm, a spell or a thrown item
    • (Optional) Companions that follow you and can be controlled by either keyboard or a custom dialog system.
    • (Optional) Limit companion responses and make pets.
    • (Optional) Mouse movement and action control with Mousie:  The Mouse System ... based on Amaranth's Super Simple Mouse System
    • (Optional) Actual Map-Wrap!  Not many ABSs have an actual built-in map wrapping system.
    • (Optional) Pixelmovement for the lead actor character!  All other events are still tile-based event controlled.
    • (Optional) 8-Directional!  And if using pixelmovement, the diagonals are adjusted.
    • Three config pages, subdivided into general, weapons and stuff, and companions... for designers convenience.
    • And More...

Screenshots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Demo

Story 1 Demo Link  The story begins with Bill going Medieval on em.
      Story 2 Demo Link  The story continues with Jane stuck in a Spaghetti Western

Instructions

Plenty... I have a .chm help file in the demo package.  Some people may experience an issue with it not delivering the text.  This would be due to the 'CHM coming from another computer', requiring you to unblock it.  A text file is included that shows how to fix this anomoly with such help file issues.

FAQ
    I tried to have the initial release ready FOR Halloween a while back.  AND I had this posted in other sites already.  Enjoy the ride.

Compatibility
    An RPGMaker XP script.  Compatability with other systems not tested.

Credits and Thanks
    In the help file and in the demo itself.  

Author's Notes
    Version numbers update 0.1 per upgrades and fixes.  Not many bugs could be present now.  Please issue any reports.

Terms and Conditions
    Free for use, even in commercial games. Just remember to give credit, even to all those that contributed in its development.

Music courtesy of Charles Bernstein for Story 1.  Music by Ennio Morricone for Story 2.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
  2. PixelHeart

PixelHeart The Pixel Heartist! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Huh!...Ambitious! Oddly enough, i was looking for something like this! I'll give it a try :) .

Oooooh, wait...i just relized this was for XP.... :p . Oh well, it still looks good. good job :) .

EDIT: Ok...something i didint really like was that not only could you hit Jane, but that it was REALLY easy to. Like, not even trying to hit her easy. Like, shes just standing in the adjacent space "near" but not "obstructing" where you happen to be pointing, but you hit her anyway, easy. :(  (i killed her on accident....so sad.) Other than that, it look pretty dang good. Didint lag for me at all. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2015
    DerVVulfman likes this.
  3. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    You kept hitting Jane, eh?   That sounds about right.  When did you know a cat NOT to get under your feet?  Well, that's why Granny gave you a six pack.  Just stand next to her right when you pop one off.  At least you can 'finally' tell her to stay put once you enter the house . (Oops!  Spoiler!!! :p )

I have made other add-ons for the system found in my main home... be they particle effects for missiles (ie cool magic missile shots), patches for an isometric map system (an older GubID system), a paperdoll system so your character's armor and weapons can visibly change, and even a system so your 'oversized enemies' larger than the 32x32 tile can be hit (seriously... a big honkin charset and you only hit the tiny tiny tile area to hurt it?).

4. StrawberrySmiles

StrawberrySmiles The Talking Fruit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is really awesome. The fact that is is commercially available makes my team want to just stick with XP, as this has so many things my boyfriend has been looking for in a battle system.

((Unfortunately he can't look at it until all the graphics are done, otherwise things will never get done))

DerVVulfman likes this.
  5. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Enjoy Charles Bernstein's music then.  :p BD

Oh, and if you didn't notice, you can skip past the opening cutscene and the credits by pressing any key (though I worked hard to make em entertaining).  Good for those who want skippable cutscene systems. ;)

6. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Looks very good! Definitly gonna try some stuff with it but it doesn't fit my current project, else i'd probably use it. Congrats with this system!

DerVVulfman likes this.
  7. GraveBusta

GraveBusta Vengful Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This looks really nice, will it be as hard as XASABS? I do not know.But I would like to see anyways.

-Update-

Honestly really really nice script it is alot more simple then XASABS however it does need some debugging. The arrow keys are acting wack when in the save menu,also the range of the sword keeps getting the cat killed xD but my how impressive this script can be if you fix those issues you'll be pretty dang popular,

I give this a 6.5/10 fix the bugs and I would give it a 9+/10

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  8. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Easier than XAS?  Thankies!  Ya know, I was asked to make a patch for XAS to work with my 'Mousie' mouse control script?   The guy who asked was thrilled I 'Worked on XAS!  ... :rock-left: though I still preferred mine. :rock-right:

:blink: Sorry about the menu keys being wonky in the Save Menu.  I haven't seen this issue.  But the Lycan ABS doesn't modify the methods that actively control actions in the save system, but adapts the actual methods that read/load data and resets enemies if a game was saved during combat.

The actual culprit of your faulty key issue happens to be the input system that it is using in the demo.  That Input script having been written in 2006 by Cybersam (one of our 'golden age of RMXP' scripters).  BUT, the Lycan ABS can be adapted to use another input system, including recognizing the differences between cybersam's rewritten Input.pressed? method or the defaut Input.press? method. :D

Now hitting the cat. :popcorn:

DUDE, That was part of the challenge!!! :guffaw:

But yeah, you can set up how far the blade or weapon extends in an attack, one really nice feature for characters like Basil who uses a spear for a 2-3 tile reach.  Likewise, you can make them only a 1 tile distance for a close-up dagger strike.   I intentionally set Bill's sword to a 2 tile range.  Oh, and weapon ranges are covered in the MELEE_WEAPONS array. B)

And I disabled the ability to control Jane-the-cat until the very end.   Normal 'non-pet' characters can typically be controlled by either moving up to them and hitting [Enter] just as you would any on-screeen NPC, or you could use hotkeys to control their movement or action.  But that is up to the end user of Lycan if they wish to add their hotkeys in the Keyboard Control section of the Basic Config page or add their commands into the Companion Control page of the system.  BD

So apart from my use of cybersam's script, the other issues you have are not bugs.

GraveBusta likes this.
  9. GraveBusta

First Language:
    English
    Oh ok >< so the save issue is the only concern, you said the bug is triggered when trying to save in mid combat perhaps I should take note of this and create save points and have the actual save menu disabled throughout the game. If I misread it I am sorry I just woke brain feels mushy and I am not coder yet I read a book that says what coding is but never taught me how to code in general.

10. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Haha.  Uh huh.  You TOTALLY misread. :p

I said "the Lycan ABS doesn't modify the methods that actively control actions in the save system, but adapts the actual methods that read/load data and resets enemies if a game was saved during combat."   This alteration in no way touches the menu functions, so it would not cause any arrow/cursor issues you are experiencing.  In fact, my methods actually prevents issues seen within earlier ABS systems which I don't want to go into.  But again, my save/load edits do not affect the menu at all.

It was the very next paragraph where I stated "The actual culprit of your faulty key issue happens to be the input system that it is using in the demo."  Try replacing the input script with one you prefer.  Still, I haven't seen any issue with it.

:D   Love the username.  Kinda matches what one has to do in the graveyard to get to the next map. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2015
  11. GraveBusta

First Language:
    English
    Lol Gravebusta just realized sounds like the name of a boss that guards a graveyard but I am not gonna name a boss GraveBusta I am not very comfortable with using Aliases outside RP in my work it would feel Egoistic and strange ><

I will check to see what I can do about the cursor I guess thanks for the tips I will let you know if I run into real problems later.

12. MasterRPGMan

MasterRPGMan Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    What do I do if I want a variable to change when an enemy is killed?

13. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Ah, a question as old as thyme.     My bottles of Thyme and Sage are outta date .  No wonder the spaghetti was terrible.

This feature is called a Trigger effect and is covered within the On-Map Enemies >  Enemy Controlling Comments section of the help file.  AND, the trigger system has been designed as thus since 2006.  I didn't make it.  But I prolly explained it better.

The trigger system can activate a switch, a variable, or the enemy event's own self switch.  Placed within the enemy event's list of comments, it is an array that holds one or more values.  But for this instance, I'll stick with the variables.  AND use an example from The Lycan ABS demo itself.

@>Comment:  Trigger [2,7,0]
    The first value within the array of any trigger is a numeric value that lets it know what kind of trigger it is.  In the above case, the '2' is the first value and that indicates that this trigger affects an RMXP Variable:

0=Erase Event

1=Switch

2=Variable

3=Self Switch

The second value in the array identifies 'which' RMXP variable is affected.  In the above case, it is the '7' variable that is being affected.  So with the 2 and 7 in the array, we at least know we're affecting the 7th variable.

The third value is something more specific to Variable triggers.  If this value was any value other than '0', the RPGMaker variable would be set to that value.  So if the array was [2,7,15], then the 7th variable would be immediately set to 15 once the enemy dies.  However, this is not the case.  The array reads as [2,7,0], and the value of '0' is special as adds '1' to the variable instead.

So, any time an enemy the trigger of [2,7,0] is killed, the 7th variable in your system is increased by 1.  Excellent if you want to count how many enemies are killed on a map.

14. MusicWizard

MusicWizard Musician & Coder. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    A very very nice ABS, but can you please convert it to VX Ace as well?

It would be awesome!

15. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Apologies.

I do not have RPGMaker VXAce, nor have any intentions for purchasing it.  I had purchased RPGMaker VX and became thorougly disappointed by its map editor.  And seeing the same poorly designed map system within Ace, I have opted not to buy its sequel.

Lycan remains an XP system.

Seriel likes this.
  16. MusicWizard

MusicWizard Musician & Coder. Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Okey, too bad, but i also got XP so i might have use for it anyway ;)

Does it require a license to use in commercial games? If so how do i get one?

17. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    License?  HAH!  Guess you don't know me too well, do ya?   :guffaw:

BUT.... you gotta give credits to everyone, even my beta-testers.  Trickster couldn't care less about a license, nor SephirothSpawn.   And I actually talked to cybersam about a month ago, surprised anyone from the OLD group was still around.   Yeeeahh.... Just give credits to everyone I show in the demo and the scripts... except Charles Bernstein as you can't use his music.

Can prove to be useful.   It's called 'padding the credits' ...  Adding more names to your credits to make it look like more people worked on it, giving it a professional look.  :p ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2015
    Seriel likes this.
  18. Yuuta Kirishima

Yuuta Kirishima Software Engineer/Professional Mayonnaise Player Veteran

First Language:
    Engilsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hmm, I'm getting a malware detection, i'm sure its fine, I have the dumbest malware detection software, but hey it's free. anyway, this looks promising.

19. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I understand.  Some antivirus systems actually detect 'Game.Exe' as having malware.  But replacing 'BOTH' the .exe and .proj file (you gotta do both) with yours should work.  The project file has a value indicating what version of game exe it is supposed to use.

20. DerVVulfman

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Time for a new

BUMP

To Version 11.3

Oh, a good number of changes were made.  Wanna know what they are???

1. A repair was made fairly quickly which allows 8-directional missile fire when not using Frank's MultiPose Charactersets for the Lycan ABS*.  While unnecessary with Frank, it was necessary to adapt the system to let missiles move in diagonal motion.
    2. Revised handling of companion move rates, making them and their status ailments separate from that of the lead party member's.  The only thing shared between the player and companions is if the player is either dashing or sneaking.  Move rates are adjusted accordingly. **
    3. Addition of enemy move rates based upon map-based status ailments.  These were completely missing prior to this version. **
    4. Creation of Slowed/Hasted move rate values for enemies (related to enemy status ailment handling above).
    5. Inclusion of Mute/Confuse/Paralysis/Delay effects upon companions and enemies which prevents the use of skills and items as they affect the player. **
    6. Altered the Dash and Sneak code into smaller modules, some code now placed within separate Player and Companion pages of the Game_ABS engine.  Code is now smaller and more accurate.
    7. Creation of subroutine in ABS refresh system which re-loads and creates on-map enemies.  The subroutine reduces line content by approximately 20 lines.
    8. Creation of new 'refresh' option for enemies, permitting enemy hate group to re-detect potential targets from their hate group.  This can make enemies less single-minded towards attacking only one target and permit them to strike at targets of opportunity.
    9. Correction of companion's fully solid death effect.  A simple fix.
    10. Correction to fault in On Map Battle Music system.  It didn't properly sort out enemies excluded from playing music from those not excluded.
    11. Correction to fault in Weapon Ammo system:  Missile weapons that use Ranged-Item ammunition now uses the range and speed of the item ammunition as it was meant to. 

* Frank's MultiPose Charactersets for the Lycan ABS is an exclusive to House Slashers and Save-Point

**  A small chart within the help file shows the map effects for player/companion/enemy move states and status ailments.

Faye Valentine likes this.