The Magic Circle's Music Station!

Discussion in 'Resource Workshops' started by The Magic Circle, Aug 14, 2017.

1. The Magic Circle

The Magic Circle Listen to my Soundcloud fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    SLOTS:

1 - OPEN
    2 - OPEN
    3- OPEN
    4 - OPEN
    5 - OPEN

Hi!

You can call me Kit. I've been composing music for a couple of years for a project I've been working on with some friends, and I figured that composing music for other people would help get me involved with the community.

Here's some of my stuff. Most of what I've done for my game is electronic jazzy stuff, but I'm glad to do whatever you want me to do.

--

This is a climactic track that's for the Definitely The Final Boss Of The Game. It's a wild mix of electroswing and dubstep, and people generally seem to like this one a lot.

--

This is your standard creepy ambient dubstep in 5/4, for a spooky part of the game.

--

This is your standard creepy ambient not-dubstep in not-5/4. It's for a very sad part of the game.

--

Everyone likes metal in their RPGs, so here, have some :) We've got some Latin percussion and violins in here, too, for extra excitement.

--

Here's a track based around an obscene number of Indian percussion lines. This was the first time I tried building a track off of a chord progression instead of having everything planned out in my head. I'm not sure how much it shows, but people seem to like it a lot, so...

--

Here's some dangerously swanky jazz for you!

--

Here's a ferocious industrial track - ten point if you can guess what classic video game song I was inspired by.

--

Here's me desperately trying to imitate Earthbound. I'm probably going to mess around with this track to spice it up a bit, but I hope you get the idea anyway.

--

And here are a couple songs that are more in a classic RPG style.

--

With that out of the way, let's get to talking about what I can do for you, and what you should do if you want me to do things for you.

I'm not a formally trained composer (that may change), but I ravenously consume theory and am constantly trying to improve my skills in arranging, composing, and sound design. I will gleefully do whatever you want. Do you want a country style bluegrass jam over a screaming acid house bassline? Can do. Do you want a bombastic orchestral arrangement but where every instrument is a bike horn? Glad to oblige. Do you want to go avant-garde and make your game's OST completely silent? Works for me.

Conversely, all you really need to do is message me. When you do, give me your request in the following format:

OCCASION: Where does this piece go? Is it for exploring a cave? Is it for going to a carnival? Are you milking a cow?
    STYLE: What do you want me to do? Do you want an EDM banger? Do you want sweeping orchestral sounds? Do you want the dulcet tones of a bagpipe and kazoo duet? Feel free to give me tracks to listen to as a reference point, I'm happy to oblige.
    FILE TYPE: This is pretty self explanatory. Also, I can do sheet music for you if you want!
    WALKTHROUGH? If you want, I can try walking you through what I'm doing for your track step by step so that you have a better understanding of how to compose (if you like making music yourself). I am planning on providing a workshop for explaining the ins and outs of composition, and working with you on this should help a lot. Tell me what sort of experience you have with music and I'll create something tailored to your experience level.

As an aside, someone else posted a workshop in which they said that if a poster gave them three descriptors (i.e. "Like Star Wars", "uptempo", "purple") to work with, they'd come up with a song that tried to fit those descriptors. If you'd rather go this route instead of messaging me directly with more specific request, I'm happy to do it.

TIMEFRAME:

I'm trying to streamline my workflow a bit, but tracks should take somewhere between a few days to a week to be created - so about three to five hours of work per track.

TERMS:

Since I'm doing this for free, you can only use these tracks in non-commercial games. PM me if you want to go commercial, and we'll work things out. Also, credit me as The Magic Circle.

Cheers!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Fireworker, Orb and Leanne like this.
  2. The Magic Circle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here's a new song for you. It's a sort of trippy house thing - basically the perfect soundtrack for fighting weird robots.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  3. The Magic Circle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    And here's another one! It's a mix of Lithuanian folk music (or extremely pretentious 20th century classical), Balinese gamelan, and drum and bass. As I've said, no matter what sort of style of music you want, I'll do it. I'm debating messing around with the choir a bit, but that's not super important here.

4. Authumbla

Authumbla Listen To My Soundcloud Fam? Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Guess who's got a new tune up for you (It's me. That's why I'm posting).

This is a dramatic, yet very chill, track for my game's confrontation with the obligatory Big Bad Evil Guy, which is essentially a philosophical duel between existentialism and nihilism (and people with superpowers beating the stuffing out of each other). I'd like to think I did an okay job of capturing that sort of mood, but your mileage may vary.

Also the violin is a heavily manipulated bike horn sample. I wasn't kidding about the bike horn thing!