slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

For the last 100 years stars have been disappearing one by one. Science has not yet discovered what is causing their untimely deaths. The nights are growing darker and darker every year and now even the constellations have disappeared from the night sky.

You play as Lucretia, a teenage girl attending her second year at a boarding school. She’s ready for another unassuming year with her friends, and so far so good. Sure there’s this weird new girl who’s been keeping eyes on her and sure the stars are dying all around them, but that's normal things that happen to teenagers, right?

The Magical Star Guardians is a puzzle RPG made in RPG Maker MZ for the Touch the Stars game jam. It is a Magical Girl game set in a 19th century alternate earth.

The game is divided up in chapters with the jam entry consisting of the very first chapter.

1628085093342.png

Screenshots:
1628084917790.png
1628084930915.png
1628084948872.png
1628084984406.png

Download here: https://slimmmeiske2.itch.io/the-magical-star-guardians
Please consider leaving a rating after you've played. Thank you!
⭐

ElCheffe

JRPG Maker
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I gave it a try and must admit it is fun to play. A bit short though. :thumbsup-right:

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@nio kasgami You know it :kaopride:
@ElCheffe Thanks for trying it out, glad you enjoyed. Yeah, it's pretty short. I wanted the game to end at a logical place and so cut out some content as I was rushing to finish it.

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Played the demo. Here are some random thoughts in a completely random order:

*I thought this set in a more modern time before reading it's 19th century alternate earth
*You can walk on top of the bottom shelf in the dormitory room where you start
*Good choice of music!
*Wow the girls have big plates! You need a lot of calories to perform magic in this world?
*Good job capturing the school feel with all the NPCs
*I like the different portrait expressions
*The timer for the jumps over lava was too easy and there were too many of them after one another considering how easy they were
*I liked the mapping, but maybe there could be some environmental interactions / comments for this type of game
*When selecting the enemies in battle you had to change what arrow key you were using when wanting to scroll through them in order - kind of annoying
*The voice acting was a bit too "restrained" for magical girl shouts - maybe that's a design choice since the main character is still on her way to a full blown magical girl (and maybe her personality too), but I just feel that real magic girls should shout those attacks with even more feel
*The snake familiar felt and moved cool

All in all seemed like a fun game and captured that school feel and the magic girl plot themes well.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Thanks for playing and the feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

*I thought this set in a more modern time before reading it's 19th century alternate earth
Hmm, was there anything in particular that made you assume it was modern?

*Wow the girls have big plates! You need a lot of calories to perform magic in this world?
Haha, well you know, when you're still growing you need to eat a lot :p

*The timer for the jumps over lava was too easy and there were too many of them after one another considering how easy they were
Hmm, I didn't want to make it too hard, since it was for a jam and it's always better to go easy in such a case. I'll think about maybe making it a tad harder or a bit less of them.

*I liked the mapping, but maybe there could be some environmental interactions / comments for this type of game
Glad you liked the mapping. I ran into time restraints, so I couldn't add the interactions in time, but it's definitely something that's been planned for teh updated version.

*The voice acting was a bit too "restrained" for magical girl shouts - maybe that's a design choice since the main character is still on her way to a full blown magical girl (and maybe her personality too), but I just feel that real magic girls should shout those attacks with even more feel
The battle voices were a last minute addition and so they were done by myself without a proper mic. So it's not really a design choice, no. :aswt:

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm, was there anything in particular that made you assume it was modern?

Now that you ask, not really. I just wrote some random thoughts. Maybe it's the kitchen sinks that always get me, even though I've googled it and they've had those pretty modern looking sinks for a long time.

Latest Profile Posts

Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC
I just finally fixed a huge problem that wouldn’t let my game load and would crash it.. I thought that I was gonna have to trash the project and start over lol
The feeling when you finally found and killed that one gamebreaker that you could not really grasp before.:kaojoy:
Precious vet moments. Funny how smart animals are. They can tell what is happening especially a trip to the vet.

Rhythm game Super Hexagon. This looks hard as heck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreafun_LittleAndroidAA72