Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The Math Warrior

Synopsis
This is a sequel to Saving the Cousins . The protagonist in this game is Michael, the Math Warrior. Michael is supported by his sister, Susan, a bard. Michael's and Susan's cousins are once again in peril as they have been abducted by the Troll and taken to Gunk's Tower. Michael must battle his way to the top of the tower using only his pocket calculator and any other math tools he finds along the way. Susan supports Michael with healing and other songs. Math skills include
  • Multiplication (times tables 1-9)
  • Division (based upon times tables 1-9)
  • Shapes (square, rectangle, rhombus, trapezoid, kite)
  • Triangles (right, equilateral, isosceles, scalene, also finding perimeter and finding third angle)
  • Telling Time (in 5 minute increments, finding duration given two distinct times)
  • Critical Thinking (finding a set of numbers given clues, solving a mastermind puzzle)

Images/Screenshots
1631459606324.png
1631536627641.png
1631536775067.png
1631536880692.png
1631537363290.png

Download Link
Game can be downloaded from this dropbox link.

Characters
Characters were all generated with RPG Maker MZ.
  • Protagonist: Michael the Math Warrior
  • Supporter: Susan the Faithful Young Bard

Storyline/Plot
The game starts with a short intro where the player may change the names of the siblings and cousins if they so desire. The 2 siblings are then transported to their tent outside of Gunk's Tower where the actual game begins.

Inside Gunk's Tower, the siblings must find all 6 missing cousins. Three pairs of cousins are locked in dungeons on different tower levels. To free the cousins, the siblings must reach the top of the tower, defeat the Troll, and grab the dungeon key.

Michael must battle his way to the top of the tower using only his pocket calculator and any other math tools he finds along the way. Susan supports Michael with healing and other songs.

There are two secret rooms on each of the first eight levels. One secret room contains an item for either Michael or Susan. The other contains a collectible card.

Scoring is based upon math skills as well as discovering the secret rooms.

There are no Gameovers. Characters can always be fully revived/healed. This is intentional to avoid frustration.

• Target age level: 8-12
  • Gameplay Time: 60-90 minutes
Note that the game has been extensively tested and given 2 Thumbs Up by my 9 year old grandson.

Credits
I am always indebted to this community as a whole for their generosity in sharing ideas, solutions and resources.

Last edited:

gRaViJa

Eniko Ghosts of Grace Dev
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Love educational games! The presentation of the calculations is a bit basic, but looks like a fun way to practise for young kids. 12 years might be a bit old given the example 4x6, is there a difficulty option? That could be a cool way to increase replayability.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Love educational games! The presentation of the calculations is a bit basic, but looks like a fun way to practise for young kids. 12 years might be a bit old given the example 4x6, is there a difficulty option? That could be a cool way to increase replayability.
The multiplication is held to single digits right now simply due to size constraints. You're right that a 12 year old might be bored by the 'drill and practice' effect of the battles which is why some of the floors are puzzle driven rather than battle driven. And there is also a 'Prime Sword' that can be equipped after a few levels that allows for just 'hack-n-slash' giving damage amounts of prime numbers. Now that this post has been approved and publically available, I'll add a few more screenshots. Thanks for taking an interest in this game. :kaothx:

kimo

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Congrats on this game. I'll let my friends with kids know about it. Love the screen shots. And the idea of a Prime Sword is neat.

lianderson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This... is ingenious. Good job human!

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My 9 year old loves this game, she is on the second playthrough now. Awesome job!

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@CoryH And the fact that your 9 year old loves it means more to me than any of the previous replies (Though, to be sure, those replies were absolutely greatly appreciated). :kaojoy: Do let me know if she has any suggestions for improvement.

lesbrarians

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't have any kids in my life to share this with, but just wanted to throw out a Good Job with this!! It reminds me of The Cluefinders: Third Grade Adventure, which I played and loved back in the 90s! A nice mix of math/academics and fun.

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks, @lesbrarians . It was really nice of you to take the time to say so. Truly, it was a lot of fun to develop. :)

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lady_JJ Well, we don't have any suggestions, but I do have more to say about the game.
My wife and I recently started homeschooling her, and we have been looking for fun activities for her to let her rest a bit between harder subjects.
She wanted to play a RPG (probably because that's what I'm always doing I guess) so when I saw this one, I downloaded right away. She finished half the game that first sitting, then asked if this could be part of her math practice!
She actually ASKED to learn division because of this game, and she had a blast using multiplication and division to fight. As soon as she finished the game, she asked to play again.

I can't explain in text how hard it is to get this child interested in math, she hates it. So to see her latch onto something like this is amazing. Thanks for the great game!

Syberduh

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The main battle system seems fun and good for drilling. I've only played through the first 2 floors so maybe you introduce this later on, but if you haven't, it might be a fun mechanic to allow the player to attempt a "Power Attack" with larger (and potentially more difficult) numbers to do more damage.

I think it would also be a very nice touch to allow the Math Warrior to be a girl and/or the support character to be a boy, or failing that, allow the support character to do math problems in order to heal the warrior. Right now there's a pretty strong implicit vibe of "math is for boys".

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Syberduh Ack! I never thought of that and you are SO right. I made a game for my granddaughter, she's younger so the math level is more K-Grade 1, then I made one for my grandson who is older. In her game, the brother was the support character. In this, it was a lot of IF-THEN-ELSE with the Show Text depending upon what armor the two had found during the game, but it may be worth it to add another whole block of gender IF's just to avoid "math is for boys" and "healing is for girls," and allow the player to select a character. I'll take that into consideration for the next game.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...
Had a nice visit with our family. Dad grilled some burgers and mom made baked beans and fudge. We also watched Foul Play. Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn make an awesome duo. I am surprised how much of the movie I forgot LOL. How did everyone else's holidays go?
Got a windowskin working nicely to go with Mog's menu plugins.
p8BE5bj.png

tsD4gZS.png

nwpeK84.png
Just getting started on RPG maker and having a blast!
I am once again escalating in the kitchen. I might or might not be 4 types of cookies into baking and not finished...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tetistetiss