Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'd like to open the discussion of the most satisfying end to a series (film, novel, comic/graphic novel, game, what-have-you).

I'll start with mine: the best superhero films ever made, the Nolan Batman Films. Never before had I been so elated to see the bittersweet goodbye to such well acted, written, and directed characters.

Seriously, it was as satisfying as an emotional BJ.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've yet to see one... Endings to me are either sad or sad or sad or sad or sad or bad...

It's either that the series is too good that I'm sad that it ended or the ending was too bad it wasn't worth it...

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If there are any mods reading this, can you move it to "General Lounge?"

And adiku....

Some shows run too long (How I Met Your Mother), some end way too abruptly (Firefly). And some hit that Goldilocks spot. I'll admit that The Dark Knight Rises was nowhere near as strong a film as The Dark Knight, the ending felt so satisfying. It's as if the series hit every wicket, and didn't leave me wanting more. I loved it.

hyde9318

RMC Coordinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tom Hardy's Bane man... my god... I went into that movie theater thinking I was going to hate Bane just being a supped-up terrorist, but damn... I am not sure why I ended up loving that character so much, but his role was beautifully done. You watch it and often find yourself actually fearing for Batman... you know he stands little chance and you know he isn't going to come out of the fight without some major injuries.

I was a bit frustrated how, in the end, Batman faced off with Bane again and it was pretty one sided. To me, I find that part to be total BS. Bane had absolutely no problem kicking Wayne's bat-ass during their first fight, and Bruce had no major training while he was in the hole that would give him the advantage. He literally just healed up, climbed out, somehow reappeared on the other side of the world, and proceeded to kick Bane's butt. Nope. Nope nope. However, that said, I truly think that is Selena didn't blast Bane, he would have crushed Bruce's skull under his boots in the end.

Also, one more thing about "Rises"... Anne Hatheway as Selena Kyle... Dayumn! Not sure how they did it, but they made her gorgeous, sexy, witty, and dangerous all in a single package. When I heard Anne was playing Catwoman, I let out a literal groan of disappointment, but she rocked that role. I wish her suit was a little more Catwoman-ish, but I really did like her role as a whole.

Darkanine

...In my thoughts and in my dreams...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The good endings in Princess maker 2 were always really satisfying for me,spending a rather long time raising up your daughter and her attributes only to learn she's now one of the highest ranked knights in the royal army? That always made me feel good.

Like wise,the bad endings were depressing,last run I was building her up to be a skillful mage,but with one wrong turn all her prestige went to 0 and she became a wandering gypsy..

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was a bit frustrated how, in the end, Batman faced off with Bane again and it was pretty one sided. To me, I find that part to be total BS. Bane had absolutely no problem kicking Wayne's bat-ass during their first fight, and Bruce had no major training while he was in the hole that would give him the advantage. He literally just healed up, climbed out, somehow reappeared on the other side of the world, and proceeded to kick Bane's butt. Nope. Nope nope. However, that said, I truly think that is Selena didn't blast Bane, he would have crushed Bruce's skull under his boots in the end.
I wouldn't say it was one-sided.  Bane had the advantage in the fight until Bruce got a lucky hit on Bane's mask.  I mean, Bruce was going for the mask, but Bane's not stupid, he's going to guard his weakpoint.  But this time around, Bruce knows why he's fighting and he knows Bane's weakness.

also,

Also, one more thing about "Rises"... Anne Hatheway as Selena Kyle... Dayumn! Not sure how they did it, but they made her gorgeous, sexy, witty, and dangerous all in a single package. When I heard Anne was playing Catwoman, I let out a literal groan of disappointment, but she rocked that role. I wish her suit was a little more Catwoman-ish, but I really did like her role as a whole.
Ummm...  Yeah... 

bat ass...

Again, with awesome endings, I really liked the end of Battlestar Galactica, but it was one of those stories that went on too long, and it was clear they were running out of ideas.  At least the characters were engaging enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Xenogears ending was just perfection, like the whole game, never another rpg or a movie went deeper than this one.

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Xenogears ending was just perfection, like the whole game, never another rpg or a movie went deeper than this one.
Did it make sense?  Japanese stories tend to don't.

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The ending made sense for that kind of story, and basically created a sense of closure and happiness, it was really worth it.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Xenogears whole second half is rushed. Its an amazing game, but once you get out of the first disc its really really not as good. This kind of soured the ending for me, even though it did storywise have a good ending.

I tried to think of something to add here. Possibly the end of At World's End. I think it tied up all the loose ends of everyone trying to accomplish different things throughout the first trilogy of movies, and the part where Jack

gives up the chance for eternal life to save Will
was a great bit of character development that I really enjoyed.

Omnimental

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Eh, Japanese stories tend to make sense about as often as non-Japanese stories.  It's just the vastly different cultural references that tend to make them confusing.

Ruby

Of the Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was so completely satisfied with Suikoden 2's ending. It brought me back to the root beginning of the game and was a perfect fit.

Silent Darkness

Robomage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Legend of Spyro. Definitely.

Dawn of the Dragon's ending was quite satisfying for me.(If you watch past the credits and stuff)

negative_headed

Hard to Read
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So far of the games in which I've beaten the one that's stuck with me the best has been the only ending I ever got in Persona 4.

The one where you throw the killer out of a window for killing nanako.
It wasn't the good ending and It made me feel terrible, but that was the ending I had to get. It's what I feel I would have done. I couldn't even bring myself to play for another ending because I felt I'd be betraying fate...

I'm kinda messed up in the head...

Funplayer

Self proclaimed sponge.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The Stanley Parable had at least 10 great endings.

Reactions: R4B

Cozzer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
It wasn't the good ending and It made me feel terrible, but that was the ending I had to get. It's what I feel I would have done. I couldn't even bring myself to play for another ending because I felt I'd be betraying fate...
Huh... you do know that

he's not the real killer, and in that ending the main character basically murders an innocent man who was being manipulated by the real culprit, allowing the culprit to continue killing unpunished
, do you?
Talking about videogames, I have to say one of my favorite endings is the mind-screw of Bioshock Infinite.

Cawill

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh man, that's easy.. one of the most MEMORABLE and AMAZING endings is the good ending to Chrono Trigger, that music cueing in, seeing your friends travel on the ship through the different eras of time... oh so beautiful... it made you so sad but at the same time gave you this great feeling as well.  Did nobody say chrono trigger?

Oh wait a second, you didn't specify what kind of ending... wellll in that case, anyone remember the series Prison Break?  That was a pretty friggin' big show at the time...

Movie wise the Gladiator scene at the end was EPIC especially at the movie theaters I saw so many manly tears shed that day! lol!

Eschaton

Hack Fraud
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ugh.  Do Western developers write good endings?  Is that an opinion here?  Anyone?  Mass Effect 3 notwithstanding?

Jarrad

Broke College Student
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Pulp Fiction. It's one of my favorite movies.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
Zelda games never have a deep plot, but I liked the Twilight Princess ending.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Yay! Someone did a playthrough of my game. :D

When you thought you'd be finished with the grid, and spend ~8-9 hours on an arrow. How is this more difficult to than player movement?

Still some bugs hiding in there, but it's nearly complete.

I'm having it strictly follow the path a user draws, because there will be booby trap and other similar mechanics where you want to avoid specific cells.
I feel like banging my head against a wall every time I want to find that post that shows all the plugin header codes. Then I think "next time I find it, I'm going to bookmark it". Then I think "wait a minute ... maybe I bookmarked it last time because it took me so long to find it". Check bookmarks, and there it is :)
... a few of my main characters standing around doing nothing lol. I mostly wanted to see them together on screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanduh