RMMV The Multiverse: a crossover fangame.

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by FreeCake4All, Dec 3, 2018.

1. FreeCake4All

FreeCake4All Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi! This is technically my second project, but the first one I’m actually hoping to complete (the other one was something I worked on when I had the demo). This game is made in RPG Maker MV and will be completely 100% non-commercial, seeing as it is a fangame.

Over five thousand years ago, the Multiverse was ruled by a thriving, advanced civilization, known in the present as the Gatebuilders. They had built World Gates, devices which were a mix of magic, science, and cosmic power.

After about five hundred years, though, it all came crashing down when an ancient and unknowable cosmic horror awoke. Yes, the great heroes of old were able to defeat it, but by the time the smoke and stardust had cleared, the Multiverse had been decimated. Still, life finds a way, and the worlds were able to slowly but surely rebuild themselves. But so much had been lost, and what was once everyday life faded to history, to legend, to myth, eventually passing out of all knowledge save that of the most esotericly minded scholars.

With one exception.

The World Gates. These were one of the few things, save for some ancient ruins, that survived the apocalypse. Kingdoms rose and fell but these things seemed to last forever. Even with the knowledge to operate them lost, the people of the Multiverse used the World Gates (the ones that had been left on at least) to travel back and forth, trading, learning, exploring. Every world is different. There are worlds of magic, worlds of futuristic technology, worlds like our own, almost anything in between.

The party will contain five characters.

Our first and main protagonist is Ayla. I haven’t quite solidified her design yet, but she’s a teenage girl who lives with her adopted parent in a cabin in the forest on the outskirts of a farming village. She's autistic, but that's not really part of the story, just background stuff to explain why she might behave certain ways. She's very friendly, clever, and eager to help, but also naive, a little too curious, and has a tendency to leap before she looks.

Our second protagonist is Gamora, from the MCU. Ayla would meet up with her not too long after the first dungeon and setting out on her journey. The other Guardians aren’t around in this story, not quite sure what the reason would be, other than death, which I would prefer to avoid. She’s a former assassin and the last of her kind. While distant and even cold at first, she ultimately has a compassionate heart and a desire to protect the defenseless.

[​IMG]

Our third protagonist is Lobo, from the DC Animated Universe. Ayla and Gamora find him wandering around somewhere, with almost no memory of who he is or his past, but with is personality (mostly) intact. Kind of wondering how to make his past a mystery to at least Gamora as well, since the other characters could reasonably not know about him, but I feel like it would make sense for Gamora to have heard of the infamous bounty hunter. The last member of the Czarnian species, he’s super strong and nearly immortal (though that’s gonna half to be toned down to keep him from becoming too OP). Lobo is brash, boisterous, violent, and selfish, but deep down he has a heart… somewhere in there…

[​IMG]

Our fourth protagonist is Padme Amidala from Star Wars. Still figuring out how her and the others meet but her story in this is that she has somehow come back to life after her death (and has no idea how this happened), and now has a connection the Force. Kind and wise, she's the heart of the party.

[​IMG]

Our fifth and final protagonist is Samurai Jack. Yeah, kind of a random choice, long story. No idea exactly how he meets the others either. A wandering samurai, he is stoic, brave, selfless, and NOT to be messed with.

[​IMG]

(BTW none of those images are going to be used in the actual game)

Our story begins in a dark snowy forest, with a cloaked figure running and carrying something in their arms. They come to a cliff, turn to face their pursuer(s?), backs up slowly, and…

The thing in question is a baby Ayla. Still deciding if the person running with her is her adopted parent or not, and if they're trying to rescue/protect her or if they're actually kidnapping her.

Our story truly begins many years later with Ayla. One day, she walks through the forest outside of the village, finding a clearing with a hole in the ground at the center. Curious, she ends up falling in, finding a cave and eventually some kind of underground fortress- a Gatebuilder ruin. This is the first dungeon, and where she finds a message that sends her (since she's person who discovered it) on a quest to prevent the apocalypse. It's also where she discovers her magical powers (or is given powers? either way its got to do with a weird orb).

And so she sets out on her journey, meeting the other party members (whose motivations for joining are a mix of 'well of COURSE I gotta help save the world' and 'dangit I am NOT letting this child do this all by herself')and uncovering who the true villains of this story are.

A.E.G.I.S. is a organization of scientific and magical researchers, who appear benign on the surface, but underneath are something more sinister, conducting experiments that are... unethical at best. Still not sure what the acronym A.E.G.I.S. should stand for. Maybe it shouldn't be an acronym at all? Its the organization's joint leaders who are trying to awaken the entity that once nearly destroyed the multiverse so that it can do so again. One of these leaders is a scientist: he thinks himself superior to all others, and will do anything for the sake of science and discovery, regardless of the consequences. The other leader is a magician type of character: she is a fanatic who believes that the multiverse is hopelessly corrupt and in need of a good, as she puts it, 'cleansing'. These two have something of a love/hate relationship, unable to stand each other but also needing the other's help to achieve their goals.

Throughout the game Lobo's memories would slowly return and it would be revealed that Lobo's amnesia was caused by a botched attempt at the magical equivalent to a lobotomy by A.E.G.I.S.

For gameplay mechanics, I'm going with the standard sideview battles for now. Hoping to eventually integrate some kind of fast travel. Not sure if I'm going to actually use overworld maps, mostly just using them at the moment to keep track of where everything is.

Here are some screenshots of what I have mapped out so far:
    upload_2018-12-2_10-2-20.png upload_2018-12-2_10-1-24.png upload_2018-12-5_21-9-26.png upload_2018-12-6_21-32-26.png upload_2018-12-6_21-35-6.png upload_2018-12-6_21-34-34.png upload_2018-12-6_21-34-15.png upload_2018-12-2_10-7-20.png upload_2018-12-2_10-5-22.png upload_2018-12-2_10-6-8.png
    Edit: Cave area of first dungeon less bizarrely square
    Edit 2: Redesigned second area of first dungeon

Also, I have a worldanvil for the project: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-multiverse-freecake4all

I realize this is a SUPER niche project, but any feedback is appreciated!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Finnuval likes this.
  2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love the design of the Mayor's home! Not fond of Dungeon 1 B though...
    I think this could be interesting if done properly and with the right amount of love and care.

Seeing as I am autistic I'm very curious in how you'll implement this (and hope you treat it with the respect you should) and what role it will play.

FreeCake4All likes this.
  3. FreeCake4All

FreeCake4All Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm also autistic, so I'll probably be drawing off of some of my own experiences as such.
    Thanks! And yeah, I'm going to give Dungeon 1 B a serious overhaul- give it more rooms, make it more symmetrical, add a puzzle... Probably gonna make Dungeon 1 A a bit bigger too.

Finnuval likes this.