RMMV The Oath of The Undying

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by padr81, Jul 31, 2019.

1. padr81

padr81 Guy whose game is taking too long. Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    About:
    Oath of the Undying is a fast paced action RPG set in a harsh and violent small country isolated from the rest of the world.

Early Screenshots:
    map.png
    DeadWoods Screenshot in game with lighting.

map2.png
    Undying Rise Entire MapShot (non lit.)

map3.png
    Early SS testing style for Grennfell area of the world. (no lighting).

oathMap.jpg
    Overworld Map.

Story Synopsis:

In OatU you play as The Undying, a skilled warrior tricked into an oath by one of the 7 Gods "The Darkfather". Imprisoned by the cruel God to spend many millennia with nothing but a single corpse for company in Undying Temple, buried far beneath Undying Rise, your only release from the isolation is when called forth to serve The Lord of Steinnheimr.

Having lived through many ages and carried out the word of many Lords, the Undying fights not just to fulfill his oath but to fight the growing madness inside and trying to keep hold of what little memory he has of his past.

After many thousands of years in the isolated mountain temple, just when The Undying was starting to believe he was forgotten and would never see sunlight again, the bells ring once more for his service.

The Undying has been called forward to serve the Lord of Steinnheimr yet again, like many times before the lingering question is shall he serve a benevolent or tyrannical throne? He WILL carry out his oath regardless.

Characters:

The Undying
    hero.png

No one knows who The Undying was, how old he is or where he has come from. All that is known is he is sworn protector of Oathland (name will change) who turns up when summoned by The Lord of Steinnheimr. A skilled warrior with a sharp tongue who slips further and further towards madness as the years go by.

More soon.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019 at 5:44 AM
    bazrat, SoSick. and Jayje like this.
  2. alice_gristle

alice_gristle Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks pretty cool. Kinda Dark Souls and Planescape: Torment concept-wise, yes? The only thing I don't like are the giant rats, I can't stand them in a game. Or maybe only in a game where everybody is a giant rat. :biggrin:

3. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The giant rats are only really placeholders for now, until I get all variations of enemy built. There will be a few normal sized rats. I'm going for a Dark Souls like setting with more a Diablo 2 style mechanic than Planescape if I'm honest.

alice_gristle likes this.
  4. Kissa

Kissa Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice sprites and backgrounds.

Is he "the undying" to fit into the story the gameplay mechanic that we, the player, never actually die and always comes back? (I like when gameplay mechanics are explained into the lore).

5. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Nailed it. I was wondering if anyone would notice. To him when he dies the world resets to shortly before and hes forced to repeat, like that crappy Tom cruise movie, only hopefully better.

6. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Almost a month into development and I am delighted to bring you guys the official 1st OotU gameplay trailer.
    Happy with the progress.

Devlog should be arriving in 3 or 4 days.

7. Raizen

Raizen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is starting to look really nice! Nice work! :yhappy:

padr81 likes this.
  8. padr81

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Laying the Foundations - 1 Month into Development.

Month one saw decent progress. Lots of work and much accomplished.

Firstly was building and animating the player character and ABS. Next was early player skills including 2 physical attacks, 1 magic, a dash mechanic, 3 buffs and a restore skill. Happy with that. Also managed to squeeze in an early game UI prototype.

3 early enemies were designed too, basic rats, Woodslime and a male melee bandit who carries an axe. Implementation was simple as all 3 are early game basic enemies who rely on physical attacks.

The games first 5 maps were designed, Undying Temple, Undying Rise and 3 maps from the Deadwoods.

Things I have yet to get started on include database, quest system and menu design.