shadefoundry

Is Sinistar
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So normally my mapping style is pretty condensed. I like to start with the small 17x13 map and slowly expand it in size as needed rather than start with a big map and then force myself to fill in space. I feel this makes my maps look a bit more organic and they work better on a conception level for it.

My problem now though is that my project has been stripped down to be more manageable and that has left it basically taking place entirely in a big city, with one of the core mechanics being that the player has to investigate the overarching plot as it unfolds and try to stop the big bad. I like the idea of having my city act as an overworld map almost, as it's allowed me to have tons of locations that a normal RPG city might not have. Of course the map I've got was made using my style of mapping so it's pretty small to work as an overworld. I feel I could probably put together a large city that actually feels like one if I took the time to, but I wanted to know people's thoughts on this.

So, in a game that takes place all in one city, would you prefer a map that actually requires in game directions to navigate (you'd be given a map) or a smaller scale map that's very easy to get from point a to point b in (what I currently have now)

Thoughts guys?

Edit: Forgot to mention my current map spans around 4, maybe 5 screens give or take.

bustedradio

sports anime trash
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To me, it depends on what kind of city it is.

If it's a city that's cluttered and overly detailed with no distinct areas/districts, then I prefer to have the map broken up. Having the city in chunks make's it easier for me to remember where everything should be. When I enter one chunk, I know where everything should be and once I leave it, I can put away that memory and bring up my memory for the next chunk. Eventually I'll be familiar enough with the city, but it'd take a long time.

If the city has a simple layout with clear, distinct areas/districts, then I don't mind having a big map. For example, if there is merchant district, I expect there to be general good shops and bars. In the blacksmith district, I expect shops that sell weapons, armor, shields, and tools. If there is a residential area, I expect people to be living there, perhaps around a school or church. It makes it a lot easier for me to figure out and remember where everything without breaking up the map.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.
I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wizard54