The Overwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Canini, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    I know we had a Team Fortress 2 thread a while back, so I was thinking I should do one for the other game I greatly enjoy. The retribution event is wrapping up in a week or so and the new hero (Brigitte) will be released for competitive play. Anyone here playing Overwatch? Following the Overwatch league? I am particularly interested in knowing if those that played the game when it was released still find it fun? Otherwise this thread will be for discussing everything else about the game, favorite heroes, maps and stuff like that!

2. JtheDuelist

JtheDuelist Just a dev who actually got a game finished Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't play, but my brother does. I know enough about Overwatch to hold up a conversation, but that is it.

3. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't play much anymore, but I watch OWL a lot. Mostly because I can watch it in the background while I'm working.

I'm a Houston Outlaws fan. Boston Uprising is my second team, specifically because of how well Mistakes has done after he was basically thrown in due to the... dreamkasper situation, which was horrid.

Canini and JtheDuelist like this.
  4. Rocky_

Rocky_ Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I am playing OW since the release and still have fun with it.
    But I´ve noticed, that playing it alone is not that fun anymore. We are a group of 4-6 friends, playing a few matches sometimes.
    Its not that "omg new season, need to rank up and play 6h a day" anymore.

The thing which annoyes me always the most in this game is the toxic community.

Canini likes this.
  5. Scythuz

Scythuz Explorer Bot *beep beep* Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I used to play it a lot but these days I only come back to it from time to time for events and new heroes, it's a little bit less each time too but I think I can safely say that it's my most played competitive online game now. I mainly stopped playing because I felt like I had no control over the games I was in sometimes, no matter how well I played. I think I mostly prefer games where I get beat because I played worse, rather than getting beat because of elements that are out of my control. As soon as I got my golden gun I stopped bothering with competitive :p

Canini likes this.
  6. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, the two reasons I watch more OWL than play is that 1. I can watch in the background and 2. I hate playing knowing that not a single person on my team will try to coordinate at all.

7. Dreadshadow

Dreadshadow Lv 38 Tech Magician Moderator

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A_Seagull fan here.
    I watching OWL yes.
    I play a lot of OW.
    My quartet is: D.Va, Junkrat, Mercy and Soldier76.

Canini likes this.
  8. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can play Orisa, D.Va, Soldier, McCree, Reaper, Sombra, Zen.

I really want to play Hanzo after the new rework though with his dash jump, increased projectile speed, and the rapid shot ability replacing his scatter arrow.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  9. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah they said they "nerf" him doing that., but this is a buff in my opinion.

10. Rocky_

Rocky_ Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    We all know that guy in your team who picks last - you urgently need a second heal - that few seconds of waiting and staring into the screen...one last moment of hope and then ..... he picks HANZO

Dreadshadow likes this.
  11. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I always sigh in despair whne i get D.Va in qp games and 4 of the 5 are: Widowmaker, Mc Cree, Hanzo, Genji.
    Or when we have to contest, we get no healing but we got two snipers. (Snipers never contest, they only blame their teammates).

Rocky_ likes this.
  12. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, I picked up zen just to be able to fill because no one wants to pick supports half the time.

To be fair, I don't like playing supports either, but I will.

(Orisa and D.Va though I actually enjoy playing.)

Also, new Hanzo isn't as much of a bizarre pick. The changes really make him more viable as it doesn't rely on the BS of scatter arrow to be decent, and his additional mobility really lets him get in interesting places. Also, he's really strong against Brigette since he can burst down her shield crazy fast.

Canini and Rocky_ like this.
  13. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "Strong against Brigette!" That alone shows how unbalanced he will be. :p
    Brigette is already kicking our butts, spanking and punishing us with her flail.

14. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't think he'll be unbalanced. Honestly, his scatter arrow is already able to melt Brigette's shield, and with that he barely has to even show himself.

And honestly, the problem with Brigette is that she is really really good at 1v1s. If you have a coordinated team you can work around her, she doesn't have good mobility, and if you play from a distance and focus her there isn't much she can do, she can't even heal her team effectively.

The problem being if you are playing Solo-queue you aren't going to have a coordinated team.

15. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    ...and with that he barely has to even show himself.

Hmm... exposure... never thought of Hanzo's new ability from that POV. Yes you are right. He gets a lot more exposure than playing hide shoot hide like a chicken.

The problem being if you are playing Solo-queue you aren't going to have a coordinated team.
    Story of my life in both QP and Competitive.

BTW, I wonder why Dallas Fuel don't have Seagull in their main synthesis. And I don't know why AkM, EFFECT, Seagull, Mickie are not ALL four a staple core.

16. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Honestly, Effect is the only person on Dallas who has consistently played well, and he is under so much pressure that he had to go home for a few weeks. They are such a mess.

17. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    True. If it wasn't for Seagull I wouldn't support them at all. Mostly because there are a lot of ego issues in my opinion. I mean when something doesn't work, you adapt, you make changes. This team is not flexible. Seagull is. Effect is great, Mickey is good and AKM was a great surprise. But I never saw this quartet together in a game. They ARE a mess.
    The leading teams have good players but what makes the difference is the power to adapt and respond on every situation. They don't just pick a hero and stay with that pick. They constantly adapt.

18. Touchfuzzy

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Mickey has suffered ever since the D.Va defense matrix nerf. He just hasn't adjusted to the new style very well. He's probably the worst starting off-tank out of all the teams right now.

Like let's be honest, which of these would you take Mickey over for D.Va:

Zunba, Dynasty
    Super, Shock
    Poko, Fusion
    Manneten, Mayhem
    Fury, Spitfire
    Bischu, Gladiators
    Coolmatt, Outlaws
    Geguri, Dragons
    Meko, Excelsior
    Space, Valiant
    Note, Uprising

That being said I love him because he is so positive and happy.

Dreadshadow likes this.
  19. Dreadshadow

First Language:
    Greek
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Truth to be told, since I pay D.Va a lot, I can sense some strange decisions taken by Mickey. Fortunately I played and adapted through all D.Va nerfs and I actually enjoy her more today with the missiles. I would love to have 1 more second of matrix or just a slightly faster regeneration rate, but you know how things go with D.Va.
    So Mickey is truly doing strange things instead of playing her more consistent. I thought like that, then I realized that the rest of the team doesn't help him do that, so he just adapted his play to the team's play. He is a person that sacrifices a lot to be a team player. In my opinion, he is the Dallas Fuel heart. Without him the team wouldn't be what it is.You were 100% to the point on stating that he is so positive. That is why he must be a staple on their team.

Zunba is just fantastic. Actually all of them are great but I have seen some crazy stuff from Zunba and I was really happy for it.
    Edit:
    Geguri is also a monster D.Va but she shines in Zarya mode I guess. :p ( I am actually watching her Twitch channel from time to time)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  20. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    What I appreciate the most about Overwatch is that it is actually fun to play healers. All of my main except for Junkrat are Healers. It doesn´t even have to be damage healers, my all-time favorite is Lucio. I always hated playing Medic in Team fortress or support characters in MOBAs so at least that is something Overwatch does right. I also really really like the setting of the game.

We haven´t discussed favorite maps yet! My favorites would be Numbani and Junkertown (for the design), Blizzard World which I think has the best gameplay design and all of the koth-maps. Koth of the hill is easily the best mode as it is not as choke-point and ult based as the other modes. Ecopoint Antarctica and Necropolis is the best arena maps.

Dreadshadow likes this.