RMMV The Owl and The Rat

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Warning: The Owl & The Rat contains blood, gore, and many scenarios of death. Viewer discretion is advised.

Download Link:
Latest Version - 1.1
|Media Fire|

Genre: Horror / Puzzle

Recommended Age: 13 +

Short Synopsis:
Desperate to remember her own identity Deandra pursues a lead on two girls she only knows she used to be close to. The journey takes her to the cursed mountain where she’ll face not just who she was but what came before. Surrounded by illusions and deception she, however, must be careful which truth she accepts. Who will you trust?
"X-XX-XXXX, I can't handle this obsession any longer. Today- I will venture out to the manor. I must be on my guard... The mount is known for its tricks."
Deandra has no memories beyond her own name and loose memories of two people she knew she once held dear. She can't even remember where she lives and owns nothing besides the clothes on her back and a photograph of her and two women she can barely remember with "Meet me on Mount Moon" scribbled in the corner in black ink. With nothing to lose she ventures up the mountain desperate for answers, no matter what it may cost her in the end.
The mountain is known for its illusions and for being the home of an unspoken tragedy that took place at the manor that sits on the mountainside; otherwise known as "Wellington's Manor". Brave climbers have attempted to find and explore its ruins but very few ends up surviving, and those that do have conflicting reports. All that is consistent is that time works in strange ways in the mansion and that if you die at least once you are doomed to be trapped there forever. Dying in cruel ways in a constant loop at the mercy of a creature of unknown desires and origin. Hope is not lost however because a mysterious owl is offering its help, offering a way to exploit the mansions relationship with time. Will Deandra accept it's help regardless of how questionable that help may end up being? or will she use only her wits and questionable luck?
As she ventures through the manor she will find the friends she was seeking and remnants of who she was. However, it's apparent that her friends have perhaps been here a bit too long, both being on edge and exhibiting behavior she's certain must have not always been present.
She will also find the lost secrets of the mansion, fragments of the truth. But what all is the truth? How much of it is the truth, and how much of it is there to mislead? Will she be able to escape with her friends? What will she find, and what truth will you trust?

Hey, this is my first official game! I hope you guys like it!

Just for a few fun-facts and ramblings (hey, you clicked this) this game is technically a remake of a game I did last year. That game was called "Truth or Dare" and it was intentionally made to suck. I don't count this as my first game however because I never plan to release it and it's not actually a finished product. With Truth or Dare, I intentionally did everything seasoned game designers say you shouldn't do, this was a learning exercise to make me understand fully why these practices are bad. I didn't do any planning while I made it, I made it all up on the fly. As a result, there are playthroughs that can be left unfinished because I lost track of the branching play styles, a lot of bugs, and the story was kind of a mess. I would, however, find potential in the mess and create The Owl and The Rat from it.
I kept most of the basics from the lore, and every character in The Owl and The Rat also has roots from Truth or Dare, a version of themselves with the same name. The personalities changed quite a bit however.
The romance that's in it does have a basis in Truth or Dare that I hope carries over okay, I think it may have actually been done better there if I'm quite honest with myself. I'll just add more build in the new game + feature I'm working on.

1.0- It's been bug tested as much as possible and is ready for the official release!
1.1- Revamped the graveyard map to match the graphics I used for any other outdoor scene. Some grammar/spelling fixes, and bug fixes that weren't found in the original bug test. Also added an extra puzzle hint on the 5th level since it was inadequately hinted originally. Also added some bear dialogue after you put the doll down in the dining room.

This is a work in progress, If I haven't gotten to the point yet where I write about your specific place then you can probably find the answer to your question in the comments below, if not feel free to ask!
: Opening:
This is pretty cut and dry until you get inside the cottage. Explore the cottage a bit and you should find that the lights will go out.
Go to the box at the foot of the two-person bed and read the note
You will now be in the same cottage but it will look decrepit. Look, it's in the hole.
Jump down the hole in the fireplace
: The Atrium:
You will find yourself in the Atrium, an owl close by you.
-The Owl-
The Owl as a game mechanic is a manual save spot that you can optionally agree to be able to use for the rest of the game. If you do not accept his help you will have to rely on autosaves. Whichever option you chose does have bearing on the ending. Keep in mind that you have until you leave this area to accept his help.

-The Seat at the Table-
In the dining, you will find a group of bears seated at a dining room table. On the north end is a locked door, a key, and an empty chair. On the west end, there's a door to the kitchen. There's also a note that warns you that in order to take something you must give something.
In order to take the key off the table you must place a finished doll in the empty chair.

-Completing the Doll-
In order to complete the doll, you must have the head, torso, arms, and legs. Everything but the torso will be in plain sight so let's start with the torso.

_Acquiring the Torso_
In the atrium there's a note that tells you to look beyond what you see first
The note on the kitchen table talks about how the young mistress likes to hide under the table
When you click on the note on the kitchen table that talks about how the mistress likes to hide under the table click "no" instead of "yes" when it asks you if you would like to read the note. This will prompt Deandra looking under the table instead of reading the note and finding the doll torso

_The Doll Head and Arms _
In the kitchen you will visibly see a doll head stuck in stove and doll arms stuck in the oven. You must use the right tools found in the kitchen to acquire them. Oven mitts for the arms, tongs for the head.
I'm guessing you're clicking this because you keep dying right? Read the diary on the kitchen table for a hint.
That cooks spirit haunts that kitchen and wants all of her tools in the right place. She doesn't want you wandering off with her things. Put the tools back where you found them after you use them and you're good!

_The Doll Legs_
In the atrium on the upper floor, the legs are crammed into a crack in the wall.

-Place at the table (cont)-
With your completed doll, place it at the table then you may grab the key. But be ready to make a run for the door.
When you make it through the door you'll find yourself in the graveyard. The graveyard has 4 buildings. When you first arrive only one will be open to you and that is a tomb. You don't need to enter it just yet but you may.

-The Shrine-
In the building in front of you, there is a note attached to the front that will say "Her gravestone holds the key" and a scrap of paper on the ground will say "don't trust the statues, they lie." out front you will see 6 graves that can talk to you. Speak to them and figure out which one has the key.
The one in the middle of the upper row has the key. Touch it and it will open up. The key is in the cavity.
When you get the key unlock the shrine and speak with the statue. It will tell you to come back when you reassemble your party.

-Alice-
Alice is pretty simple and straight forward but here it is. Alice is in the building on the lower left side (which is now unlocked because the shrine is open). When you enter the room will start to get gassed and the door behind you will lock. A scrap of paper on the wall will say "Will you take her place?"
Go to the empty shackles on the other side of her and strap yourself in. Alice will then be free to save you.
After you save Alice leave that building and she will now be waiting for you at the shrine.

-Rosa-
The building on the upper left side will now be unlocked after you've unlocked the shrine. Go inside and find that the door in the back is locked.
On a piece of paper inside that building it will read as "Deep in Darkness"
In two different documents in this same room, you will find that one of the patrols lost the key. This will give you a general area that they may have lost the key in.
The Key is in the well

-The Well-
When you go to the well it will say that you must have the mistress's permission to enter the well.
The Key is in the tomb. Go inside and inspect the empty grave. A rat will come up to you and give you the key before climbing onto your shoulder.
When you get the well key go on and climb inside. Grab what you came here for and-
The ladder will disappear. You must now find a way to escape.
Go to the hole in the wall
Reach your hand in the hole and then force the rat inside the hole.
When you escape the well the rat will join you again.

-Rosa (cont.)-
Enter the back room in the building on the upper left corner. You will now be in the prisons. Approach Rosa and she will ask for your help since she's been locked up.
The suit of armor will have the key
I do recommend however reading and looking around the prisons before inspecting the guard.
When you take the keys from the guard a chase will begin.
You can, in fact, jump over small gaps.
The knight, however, cannot jump. Also, the doors will not make sense.
Run into the upper part of the prisons and open the jail cell next to the papers. Run inside and jump the gap. After you do this open the cell door on the other side and jump that gap.
You can now get Rosa out of jail. She will now be waiting for you at the shrine.

-The Party is assembled-
Go to the shrine and talk to the statue. It will ask for a sacrifice to be thrown into the waters. Choose your sacrifice wisely.
After you choose a sacrifice you will then be teleported into the next stage.
----

Last edited:

Gianmher

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. I found the three parts of the doll, but I can't put them on the chair. Did I miss something?

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. I found the three parts of the doll, but I can't put them on the chair. Did I miss something?
You're probably missing the torso, it's the commonly missed piece (it takes 4 pieces)

shairn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I spent a couple hours trying to get through this, and even with my decent amount of experience in this type of game, I struggled heavily figuring out what to do at times. In fact, I still haven't finished, because I'm stuck on the part with the coloured dolls after a ghost disappeared up the corridor.

One of the things that didn't sit well with me is how many menu options are hidden behind selecting the "do nothing" option on the first interaction menu. With so many useless interactions(e.g. choosing whether or not to search a cupboard, neither option triggering anything) it becomes kind of a chore to go through every menu option just to see if there isn't something else you can do with that particular object. For example, inspecting a drawer gives you nothing, but -not- inspecting the drawer gives you actually useful options.

I've seen this in other games, so it's not like it hasn't been done well before, but I feel like this sort of mechanic should be for "dodged the bullet" type choices. For example, in The Witch's House, you need to put the Book of Death in a bookcase, but using it triggers a menu prompting you to read it - which kills you. By selecting "no," you're then prompted to insert the book in the bookcase, solving the puzzle. Great. I still don't agree with the mechanic completely in this case, but at least I had a reason to select "no." Why would I reread the note telling to look under the table, except picking "no" this time?

I have a few more thoughts, but since I haven't finished the game, I'll hold them for now.

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, I spent a couple hours trying to get through this, and even with my decent amount of experience in this type of game, I struggled heavily figuring out what to do at times. In fact, I still haven't finished, because I'm stuck on the part with the coloured dolls after a ghost disappeared up the corridor.

One of the things that didn't sit well with me is how many menu options are hidden behind selecting the "do nothing" option on the first interaction menu. With so many useless interactions(e.g. choosing whether or not to search a cupboard, neither option triggering anything) it becomes kind of a chore to go through every menu option just to see if there isn't something else you can do with that particular object. For example, inspecting a drawer gives you nothing, but -not- inspecting the drawer gives you actually useful options.

I've seen this in other games, so it's not like it hasn't been done well before, but I feel like this sort of mechanic should be for "dodged the bullet" type choices. For example, in The Witch's House, you need to put the Book of Death in a bookcase, but using it triggers a menu prompting you to read it - which kills you. By selecting "no," you're then prompted to insert the book in the bookcase, solving the puzzle. Great. I still don't agree with the mechanic completely in this case, but at least I had a reason to select "no." Why would I reread the note telling to look under the table, except picking "no" this time?

I have a few more thoughts, but since I haven't finished the game, I'll hold them for now.
Well, it is my first game so I'm still figuring some of this stuff out, definitely useful input I'll have under advisement for future endeavors. This is certainly stuff I should know because it can be difficult sometimes hitting that mark between too frustrating and just challenging enough.

In case you were looking for help on this particular puzzle
Finding the dolls. I'll only detail the Red one since the purple and blue ones are straight forward.
The girl you are looking for has been hinted to enjoy hiding under tables
She's hiding under the desk in the office. Click on it from an angle that one could possibly see somebody hiding under there

Doll Chair Placement
In a note that's located in the desk in the office, it mentions the dolls by name and what chair they sit in. In a diary in the bedroom-night stand, you can figure out what doll is what.
Red doll goes in red chair, Blue doll goes in purple chair, purple doll goes in blue chair

Last edited:

shairn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Considering it's that far in the game past that clue, I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to expect anybody to put the two together. As a rule of thumb, I think it's reasonable to expect every clue and item to serve only one(-ish) purpose and for it to be introduced close to its purpose. Now I wouldn't reject the idea of a clue or item coming back from far off, but I feel like it should be something that was significant enough to stick with the player so as to have that "wait a minute! I remember this!" moment come reasonably quickly and not after exhausting every other possibility.

Not to mention there are a lot of tables everywhere, and at that point, it's not possible to go back all the way to re-read the clue to tip us off anyway.

It is difficult to find a good sweetspot with regards to difficulty, especially since different players have different experience levels with puzzles, but in my own experience the puzzles I found most enjoyable were never the ones where I was left with a cryptic clue that I had to scratch my head about for hours, but ones where I immediately understand what I'm supposed to do, but am left to figure out how to do it(rubik's cube vs a riddle, for example), if that makes any sense.

Now, armed with my newfound knowledge, I'll get back to the game soon enough and hopefully finish it to be able to give a more complete perspective.

BlueMage

Slime Lv99
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Your game look cool, friend

Gianmher

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had the bucket full of blood but nothing seem to happen in the hall next the dog

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I had the bucket full of blood but nothing seem to happen in the hall next the dog

With this one you have to click on it via inventory while in the hall next to the dog then you'll have a promp asking what you want to do with it next.

Your game look cool, friend
Thank you!

Considering it's that far in the game past that clue, I feel like it's a bit of a stretch to expect anybody to put the two together. As a rule of thumb, I think it's reasonable to expect every clue and item to serve only one(-ish) purpose and for it to be introduced close to its purpose. Now I wouldn't reject the idea of a clue or item coming back from far off, but I feel like it should be something that was significant enough to stick with the player so as to have that "wait a minute! I remember this!" moment come reasonably quickly and not after exhausting every other possibility.

Not to mention there are a lot of tables everywhere, and at that point, it's not possible to go back all the way to re-read the clue to tip us off anyway.

It is difficult to find a good sweetspot with regards to difficulty, especially since different players have different experience levels with puzzles, but in my own experience the puzzles I found most enjoyable were never the ones where I was left with a cryptic clue that I had to scratch my head about for hours, but ones where I immediately understand what I'm supposed to do, but am left to figure out how to do it(rubik's cube vs a riddle, for example), if that makes any sense.

Now, armed with my newfound knowledge, I'll get back to the game soon enough and hopefully finish it to be able to give a more complete perspective.
Intentionally it was supposed to be moreso hide n' seek where you could find her even without the hint by just searching but I can see the logical fallacy now. Maybe I should edit something in.
I think I know what you mean but I'm not quite sure how to word it beyond perhaps visual cues vs a cryptic clue?

shairn

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem with that puzzle right now I think is just having to look at the desk from a specific angle to find her, not to mention usually desks are closed on the sides which makes it all the more strange of a solution. If your player has to start looking at everything from every possible angle to progress they're sure to feel more annoyed than anything. At the very least a visual clue would improve the experience a lot, because I for sure inspected every tile on that floor, and I think most people would assume in an RPG Maker game that if a tile does nothing from one side, it probably does nothing from any other side haha

So I've since finished the game, but I'll wait a bit before wrapping up my thoughts because I also want to go back through it to snap a few screenshots of some errors I spotted here and there or possible improvements to how you use the tileset. The weirdest of which I think is in one room, I think on the same floor as the hide and seek puzzle, there's a bed - and the top right tile of the bed is flagged as a ladder, meaning your character is always facing up when passing behind that tile, which looks bizarre. Obviously not something to patch urgently but knowing to watch out for that sort of thing will probably help out in future projects.

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem with that puzzle right now I think is just having to look at the desk from a specific angle to find her, not to mention usually desks are closed on the sides which makes it all the more strange of a solution. If your player has to start looking at everything from every possible angle to progress they're sure to feel more annoyed than anything. At the very least a visual clue would improve the experience a lot, because I for sure inspected every tile on that floor, and I think most people would assume in an RPG Maker game that if a tile does nothing from one side, it probably does nothing from any other side haha

So I've since finished the game, but I'll wait a bit before wrapping up my thoughts because I also want to go back through it to snap a few screenshots of some errors I spotted here and there or possible improvements to how you use the tileset. The weirdest of which I think is in one room, I think on the same floor as the hide and seek puzzle, there's a bed - and the top right tile of the bed is flagged as a ladder, meaning your character is always facing up when passing behind that tile, which looks bizarre. Obviously not something to patch urgently but knowing to watch out for that sort of thing will probably help out in future projects.
Touche.
I'll be sure to fix that in the next update, and await your full review. Thanks for playing! :D

Gianmher

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got 4 endings so that's what I think:
- there are no big bugs, this is very good for a first game
- the characters are all original and well made
- there are relationships that diversify the lore a little. Good
- some puzzles are easy, but they are put in a way to confuse you and increase the difficulty a little. Fine job
- the 4th ending change the meaning to all this. Awesome
I advice you to remove the autosave; maybe just one before the Void? Your choise.

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got 4 endings so that's what I think:
- there are no big bugs, this is very good for a first game
- the characters are all original and well made
- there are relationships that diversify the lore a little. Good
- some puzzles are easy, but they are put in a way to confuse you and increase the difficulty a little. Fine job
- the 4th ending change the meaning to all this. Awesome
I advice you to remove the autosave; maybe just one before the Void? Your choise.
Thank you so much! :D glad you liked it!

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hi, can you help me with the bear torso ?
Oh you mean the doll torso?

In-game int #1
In the atrium there's a note on the ground that talks about how you need to look beyond what you see first
In-game hint #2
In the kitchen there's a note about how the young mistress likes to hide under the table
Answer
When you click on the note on the table in the kitchen to read it click "No" instead of "yes" when the prompt asks you to read it, Deandra will then look under the table and find the torso.

snow12

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
thank you so much

snow12

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVX
i think if you have a walkthrough about ending, it would be very nice
the game is really good, good drawing, good horror and really interesting

Scarlet03

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
i think if you have a walkthrough about ending, it would be very nice
the game is really good, good drawing, good horror and really interesting
Thank you! That means a lot~
Yeah I'm in the process of writing a full walkthrough + an ending guide. Sadly I won't have a lot of free time for a while.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Made a surprising amount of progress in these past two days. Really helps when parallax mapping breaks limitation and allowing me to be creative and make maps that match my vision.
Let's promote our amazing artists in RPG Maker community! I posted right now about my game Phil Alone on Twitter and I decided to thanks Lime Zu, the amazing artist that did all the pixel assets for my game!
I just realised that the reason behind me not being able to make a game may be the lack of my original resources. I just dont like the look of MV faces and sprites, lol. Guess I will have make my own art.
I'm posting a commission art soon! :kaoswt2:
So here's a fun/tragic fact about me: I have an awful memory. But to be correct, I have memory "leaks". My memory is actually amazing, my issue is I can't keep memories for long, in fact, I once forgot my name. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chikenwyngx