QuizicalGin

Multi-tasking pixeler with a brain on the fritz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've gotten back into working with RPG maker and have started working on some sets again. However, one piece eludes me in I don't exactly get it.

A1 is animated water. Easy, I get it.

A2 flooring and some borders that my friend says are used for making stages and counters. Little weird how it's mashed together but it's fine, I mostly get it.

A3 I kinda get? It's just A4 but outdoors

A4 I wish I had more space for more walls. They are my favorite thing to make so far next to the regular item tiles.

A5's purpose eludes me. What is it's point? I've looked at other A5 tiles I have on hand to figure it out, but it's just varying versions of walls, floors, and sometimes stairs and objects depending on the set.

What confuses me is that what does the A5 tile do that isn't covered by the prior auto tiles and the B-E tiles? My friend tried to explain it to me and even made mock ups in RPG maker but I still don't get it what exactly it's purpose is supposed to be.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you named the difference - you just didn't understand it.

A1 to A4 are all autotiles, while A5 is regular tiles.

But all A-tiles go automatically to the bottom layer (in VXA and MV), while the B-E tiles automatically go to the upper map layer.

So if you want to use a regular tile at the bottom layer of the map, it has to go to A5. And then you can place a B-E tile above it.

EDIT: And you're missing the true purpose of A4 as well. It contains not only wall-tiles but also matching ceiling tiles, and has a special passability that allows you to simulate a 2-level-dungeon (walking on the floor and on top of the walls) in a one-level map.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A1 = animated water, lava, other stuff around those,
A2 = are floor/ground/carpets.
A3 = walls
A4 = house and roof (can be used for walls too if you need more)
A5 = tiny miscs for autotiles, not exacly know why it's A5 either.

B-E = bushes, bridges, misc's anything you need to make the maps fun
with tree's, plants, etc.

for other things in B-E can also be used for events, and easier to shift them up or down.

QuizicalGin

Multi-tasking pixeler with a brain on the fritz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Andar OOOOOOOOOH, So in a really weird way they used the A5 tile to sort of mimic the way the second layer in XP used to work. Or at least that's how my brain is interpreting it anyway.

Edit: Brain literally BLOWN by that revelation.

@ShadowDragon I just realized I reversed those two wall ones in my post. Woops. =w=;;;

Thank you both though. You helped it the concept click in my head finally!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate