A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have been downloading RM games to my phone from the Internet and I am not impressed with those games at all. They all seem of low quality and of lack of effort. I did download that RMVXA game "Manifest" to my computer and played it a bit and that does seem of good/high quality. The "bad" games I have downloaded to my phone were free and came from itch.io. I have went there in order to learn how to make my own RM games better (especially to learn the battle systems) that I have written on an another thread of mine recently. Are a lot of online RM games of low quality? I try to make my own games of "good" quality and I think that my paid game Dark Assault is better than than those bad games. How can I find high quality games with using great battle systems like the atb and the ctb?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem here is that most RM games are done by single hobby-developers, especially the free ones.

There are good games, but the work and the resources required to make them means that they are sold commercially, not given away for free.

you find a better average quality if you go to sites that are dedicated to selling RM games, like
If you search their games on steam you might also get the older ones on a sale a few times a year for one dollar.
Although not everything out for payment is automatically good, there have been cases of hobby developers putting their games on steam directly without any quality control...

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are good games, but the work and the resources required to make them means that they are sold commercially, not given away for free.
This isn't always true. As someone who doesn't have money to toss around freely or a bank account to pay online & digitally, I only play the free games and can honestly say that there are plenty of games that are both good & free, like UPRC's Final Fantasy: Blackmoon Prophecy series or Kentona's Hero's Realm, or even flowerthief's Heartache 101, which is really popular.

However, Kentona is remaking his Hero's Realm with a commercial version, and UPRC is remaking the first FF: Blackmoon Prophecy called Penumbra Crystallis, which will still be free.

orange~

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
If you're looking for inspiration on how to make things better, why you're only restricting your competition to RPG Maker games only? I'm personally trying to compare my creations to indie games in general and trying to match that level of quality. A good game is a good game regardless of the engine.
Having said that, there are tons of good (and free) RPG Maker games out there. I recommend checking out some lists of top RPG Maker games and starting from there. Although many of those lists typically just list the "RPG Maker horror" games, but there are some classics and modern classics to be found too.

A_Higher_Plane

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi guys! What do you guys think, as someone has suggested here, that i play professional RPG games? How about Final Fantasy 7-9 games for the PSOne and Chrono Trigger?

Cyberhawk

Bravelion Leader
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You can grab FF7 on steam for relatively cheap.
Never got to finish the game as my save got corrupted and I was pretty close to the end.
Although FF6 is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.
FF7 Remake has stolen my heart.
Persona 4 golden is also pretty darn good too.
(I have a HUGE RPG backlog rn)

In terms of your Opening statement:
There are loads of bad games: RM games, triple A games even.
Although you can use them to know what not to do.
or even intentionally center the comedy around things the "bad RM games" do and or make it self aware.
(I haven't seen this done yet but I'd love to see it.)
The end of the day it's an objective conclusion. Since "bad" is objective to the audience.

cthulhusquid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Not true. I do this as a hobby, and I put a great deal of effort into my games. I have zero interest in selling them, since I do this as a creative outlet and to enjoy myself.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because people are doing it as a hobby. They have no experience in game making, work alone, and don't get paid for their efforts. I don't know why anybody would expect high quality from the average free to play RPG Maker game.
If you want to find the good games, you go on the forums, look for completed games that have a lot of positive posts in their threads and get those. Or you find them on Steam, search for the highly positively rated ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My computer broke yesterday, so no RPG maker for at least a week until I can get it repaired. :(
Just wanted to share how my game won 1st place in a game jam for itch.io. Everyone else used Unreal, Unity, GMS2, Godot, etc but I used RPG Maker 2003 :guffaw: It just shows that you can create a good game and it doesn't matter which engine you use
Working on cutscenes~

if your game is the first (or ONLY) in a series and still has a colon in its title, you are a bad person and I hate you...... jk.

who could ever hate BETWEEN: TWO SOULS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FLXYM