RMMV The Quest - Remastered (05/02/2017: Mac version now available)

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In 2012 I released my very first complete RPG Maker game to the public.
Made with VX Ace and stuffed with all of Yanfly's plugins, it was absolutely unpolished.
Balancing was off, too. Some enemies were too strong, others too weak.
Finally, I decided to remaster it with MV.

Please be aware though, that I mostly sticked to the original version. There are a few bugs fixed and such but the game itself is pretty bare. There are hardly any NPCs and the maps are rather empty. My RPG Maker skills were not as developed as they are now. I still decided to release the remastered version as I have received good feedback for the original.
(My next/current project will have proper mapping, more variety etc.)
Any feedback is appreciated.

But now, without further ado, I present:

Updates:
4/20/2017
- replaced the setup.exe with a simple zip-archive due to problems with the installation

Please make sure to download the whole contents of the zip-archive via the download button in the upper right corner of google drive.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synopsis
It is a world of wealth and fame. A world where everyone can become a true hero. Depending on which quest they buy.
For hundreds of years the Adventuremasters have sold quests to those interested in adventures.
With these quests, anything is possible. From simple delivery of a special item to the daring rescue of a damsel in distress from a monstrous dragon. There is no limit.

Source of the quests is the quest ore, a mineral found in the deepest of caves. The process of forging quests out of the ore is a well protected secret among the Manufacturers and the Adventuremasters.
Still, there are always plenty of quests available and so it is no wonder almost everyone can afford them and become whatever they desire.

And so it is no wonder that a small party of four has ventured to the nearest town, determined to buy the first quest of their lives. Looking forward to venturing through castle ruins, defeating vile monsters and finally gaining the reward for their efforts.

Little do they know that their journey will unravel a conspiracy to end the world as they know it...

Characters
Simon
The "leader" of the troop, although he didn't acutally ask for the job.
He is a courageous young man and eager to save the world.

Natalie
An impatient and short-tempered young woman, Natalie wants nothing more than to do quest after quest after quest.
She is also famous for her apple pie.

Terence
A well mannered man of honor, Terence strives for more than fame and wealth.
He has little love for pride and arrogance.

Alice
Intelligence and beauty combined. She often keeps a calm mind in the face of danger.
She has a good sense of humor, too.

Features
  • traditional turn-based combat system
  • classic party of 4
  • two (completely) different endings
  • your choices don't actually matter

Screenshots

Arriving for an audience.

An audience with the manufacturer of quests.

Arguing with a miner.

Sweet memories.

All credits go to Enterbrain / Degica for the base resources and plugins.
And to Yanfly for his plugins.
Story/Dialogue credits go to me, Gonor.

Download now:
(Please make sure to download the whole zip-archive via the download button in the upper right corner of google drive.)
Windows Version
Mac Version

Or visit the official Gonor Gaming website.

Last edited:

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there.
Apparently there was a problem with the setup.exe, so I had to replace the installation process with a simple zip-archive until I can get a more reliable installation creator.

Please make sure to download the whole contents of the zip-archive via the download button in the upper right corner of google drive.

West_Winds

Fun guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like a fun time :) Since you went through the trouble of making the game I'll play it and tell you what I think.

West_Winds

Fun guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I liked the game from what I got to play, but it wouldn't let me save no matter what I tried so I gave up. I liked the concept of characters going on a quest without realizing it was a quest so they could go on quests. But I think the humor falls a little short.

Chester

Meow Kitten
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cat Tongue
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well I liked the game from what I got to play, but it wouldn't let me save no matter what I tried so I gave up. I liked the concept of characters going on a quest without realizing it was a quest so they could go on quests. But I think the humor falls a little short.
lol wow that is some new humor right there :)

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for playing the game. :ehappy:
I know it won't win any prizes but it was only to see what can be done with VX Ace in the first place. :ewink:

Did you download the whole zip-file or only the executable?
If only the .exe then you need to create a folder "www" and within that folder another one called "save". You should then be able to save the game.

As an alternative you can redownload the whole thing with to download button in the upper right corner of google drive.

Underserial

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
can you convert it so i can play it on mac? Thx

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can try that tomorrow.
Although I won't be able to test if it works because I don't have a mac myself.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there. I did a video recording of myself playing the game, along with commentary. An interesting idea of quests being like valuable items, though a lot of stuff in the game is just default stuff from the maker. I think if you added some more of your personal touch to it, the game would be much better. Anyways, here is the vid. Hope any feedback helps.

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, @Matseb2611!
Thanks for playing the game and making that video. :ehappy:
I haven't had time to watch it entirely but I jump around in it a bit. Will finish it next week.

You're right, the game is completely RTP. It was my first ever completed game and I manly made it for testing purposes back in VX Ace.
So, there's not a lot of "personal touch" (except the dialogs, I guess).
My current project will be different as I know a lot more about RPG Maker and how to do things now than I did back when I made the original The Quest.
The prologue is almost done and you can't really compare it to this game here. (Although, I admit that there's some RTP stuff in there, too.)
As proof, here's the screenshot I posted a few days back in the Screenshot thread:

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah very nice. That screenshot looks good. Yes, you are indeed spot on. There is always a learning curve, and each new project we make turns out to be much better than the last. My first project mostly used RTP stuff too, so it's very normal as it's the time when we learn the engine really. How far along are you in this new project?

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately not very far. Just the first part of the prologue, actually.
With a job, a wife and a child on its way, my time is rather limited and will be even more limited from August.
But I'm determined to finishing it, come what may.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, I totally understand. Good games take a lot of time to make and sometimes real life responsibilities don't give us much free time. Either way, I wish you best of luck in it, and if you're looking for playtesters when you release the demo, I might just give it a try. :)

Euphoniac

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
You might want to fix a few things:

After the Adventuremaster has vanished, the party is still told to stay in front of the table when trying to go to the room's back area (this message doesn't pop up anymore as soon as the party checks the front door).

When the party reaches the Fairy Spring and returns to Castle Town, the Adventuremaster's house shows no or an open door, even though the door is supposed to be locked (according to the text message that pops up).

In the Mountain House, the party can find the quest before talking to the granny. By doing this, the following conversation doesn't fit anymore. After the party has found the quest, those "The quest isn't here" messages still pop up (should be deactivated then).

When the party decides to enter the damaged manufacturer's house and the player goes downward instead, an empty message box pops up and the game freezes.

In the manufacturer's house, the quest can be found before talking to the manufacturer; in that case, the dialogue once again doesn't fit.

Gonor

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Euphoniac : Thanks for the info. That actually shouldn't happen... :eswt:
I seem to have forgotten to add the dependencies there during the transfer from Ace to MV.
Although I'm quite sure, I tested this... Hm... Anyway, has to be fixed. Will be fixed.
I'll take a look at it as soon as I have some spare time and fix these things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I been rather busy lately with non RM projects so, it will take some time for me to release something.
Hmmmm, nice site UI change.
Swapped back to my original meds, but the flippity floppity has me reeling. T ^T I have game making and song collabs to do, hurry up, health. lol
It took me 6 retries to get the color of Yoshi I wanted. 30 mins of recording. 30 mins of voice work. Probably another 20 mins of waiting in between takes. But finally I got him...
I bought a 2 week emergency food supply. And people are already making fun of me :( I'll be fed for a bit while they go hungry when food supplies get cut(for whatever reason).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carugatti