The Rant/Rave Thread

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by yieldingmydestiny, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Hybrida

Hybrida I LOVE YOU TOO Veteran

First Language:
    American
    LOL @ DBZ fans. SSJ4 Goku megaton level is 21 septillion megatons. That's 0.212% of a supernova.  Superman shugged off 15 Supernovae to the face. 150 octillion megatons. Enough power to kill the solar system 15 times. Hell, I find it funny the my youngest hybrid character ( age 6 ) could destroy the entire DBZ universe.  21 septillion megatons?! Pathetic! Finally after 18 years I know Goku's megaton energy level.    Goku needs at least 12 decillion megatons to even be a match for my hybrids or even superman.   

2. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    this is maybe the dumbest post on the subject I've ever seen

PK8, MyLordRobinson, RyanA and 11 others like this.
  3. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And that's the most liked comment on a dumbest post I've ever seen in this forum :) .

Well actually I'm pissed by neighbours who, two years after, are still insisting for me to take this super dish full of chili I'm allergic to. Some here in Indonesia seem to think that it's impossible to be allergic to spicy food and that's really, really embarrassing at any neighbourhood gathering. 

"please take some spicy fish

- NO SIR. THANKS SIR."

(this not speaking about restaurants where they litterally have a bug when they're asked not to make the dish spicy. Well, just.not.put.spicystuff. 

putting a shitload of pepper instead of chili by fear it's plain is an adorable, but uneffective and unhealthy solution to me.)

I can't wait to move to Java island, the craze for chili is much less predominant there :p .

rrarg.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Chrome

Chrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Did life ever threw a nasty curve ball that hit you on the balls? If so post it hear your fml (Frick my life) moments so everyone can laugh at your pain.

As for me, I have many but one stands out.

One day after class, a girl blocked my path from leaving. So I wanted to gently touch her arm and say excuse me as I pass by. But as I was about to touch her arm, she suddenly turned 90 degrees and I ended up grabbing her breast instead...and of course she had to scream. FML.

5. Genii Benedict

Genii Benedict Supervillain, Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh yay. Where do I start? I guess this is as good a time as any to say "hey" again to everybody, since I've been away for a few (many?) months now. What's happened lately? Well, let's see.

I've held the same position for the past 15 years in - what I would consider - a very successful career. Unfortunately, at the end of November 2012, my department was downsized, and as such, my position was no longer required. I loved (LOVED) my job, and it's sad to not have employment in the first time since I started working. I was very, very lucky that my job is still paying me a nice severance package, and I have been keeping busy with a lot of home renovations. It's certainly one of the reasons I haven't been online as much as I would have liked - nor have I made any progress on my game, either. Darn.

Secondly, and very much "FML", is that I was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. That SUCKS OUT LOUD. I'm just under 200lbs, 5'9" tall, and you wouldn't immediately think that it would happen to me - but, it did. LIFE CHANGE, INCOMING!!!!

FML.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Merged. We already have a rant/rave thread. I can't see that this one is going to end up being very different.

PK8 likes this.
  7. PK8

PK8 I sense there's something in the wind... Veteran

Last month, me and a few friends decided to go celebrate my birthday by playing two hours worth of bowling. But before we went to play, a friend and I were sitting near the front of the entrance, while the rest of the group were busy eating some food just to pass the time until a friend of ours came back from his quick trip to his place to scrounge up some money.

So the two of us were sitting and we were kind of staring off into space. Then two elderly women came in. I didn't notice them at first  as I was busy staring at people managing to get strikes and spares effortlessly (which lasted only a few seconds as one of them came in). As I was looking back at the entrance to see if he arrived, I noticed two women (one of them had a cane) looking at us for a few seconds. Before I had a chance to get up out of my seat, they began walking off to take a seat elsewhere while trashtalking us and referred to the two of us as "disrespectful youngins."

Needless to say, I didn't feel too great about what had happened. I felt very guilty, actually. My friend, she tried calming me down and telling me it wasn't my fault. It took a good 2-3 minutes for me to snap out of it. It helped, but I still felt shitty over it because when it comes to people and seats, I would say that I'm a very courteous kind of guy. Whenever there wasn't a vacant seat at a bus or a train for an elderly person, someone with a physical disability, a pregnant woman, someone that is carrying a whole lot of luggage, or a family to make use of, I would always offer them my seat since they needed it way more than I did.

A friend of ours eventually arrived. Our game took about an hour to start and we ended up having fun anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    Shaz likes this.
  8. Chrome

Chrome Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Tried to make a thread, then Shaz checked the forums. FML

9. Fated

Fated Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I hit my head on my ladder today. I don't know if I'll forgive my ladder just yet.

10. PK8

This particular post is about a certain segment of the wrestling fans who are so upset at the outcome of WWE's Royal Rumble PPV event.

Particularly about The Rock beating CM Punk for the WWE Championship

Get the Frick over it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  11. Simplestchaos

Simplestchaos Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I am surprised at myself for not trying to get into the community sooner than I did. I've been buzzing around wordpress websites dedicated to giving scripts and resources, and even saw this forum for a while, but never really got around to interacting with other people around here, which is probably too bad since I imagine it'd be interesting to talk to other people who work on games.

And so, this is sort of my very very belated hello to the community~! Nice to meet you all. :3 I hope to stick around and poke my head into various places, to see if I can't get to know my fellow game designers a bit better. This'll probably be fun.

/Notsureifqualifesforrantorrave

Lars Ulrika and Redacted like this.
  12. PK8

First few days on Instagram and I'm already finding myself wondering why people run THEIR TWEETS through it. I can understand photos, sure, but tweets? Does a tweet really need a filter, a frame, and some blur effects to be applied to it? How is that even cool?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2013
  13. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The best soundtrack I ever did for my game suddenly started to refuse to load on fruity loops after I installed Komplete 8 inside. So yes, the sound quality improved a lot and I could improve some tracks drastically. But dayum IT Y U NO LET ME EDIT THE FOREST THEME AAAAAAAAARRRRH :( .

Between this and Paypal making me unable to achieve a downpayment (well...I didn't know you have to verify your card and adress to pay AND be paied) that's definetely not my day. 

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rant: My school is raising money for a charity, and one of the teachers is forcing her kids to give up their money or she will fail them/give them detentions. She's been doing this for 3 years now.

Rave:Friends are pushing me to play LoL and it seems interesting by what they are telling me about it. Also I beat Elecman in MM1 with just the Mega Buster. No pause trick, just an awesome trick that people with dayum good timing can do.

15. Ruby

Ruby Of the Earth Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rant: I bought bacon with my own money, and now it's gone. I didn't get a dayum piece. 

Rave: My son can now hold his own bottle, he's five months old and pure awesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2013
    Amarysse likes this.
  16. Simplestchaos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Rant: I said I'd start coming here more often and then I forget to. Rararar

Rave: I think I've finally got everything I neeeed for my game to work. I've set up everything to make sure battles will be as good as they can be, I finally found a crafting script that I can properly use, I found a whole new resource for sprites, and my friend gave me her collection of sprite-pieces for the sprite generator. ALL I have left to do is... stop being lazy and actually put the game together. XD

I can never bring myself to make maps or event out entire scenes. Anyone else ever have trouble bringing themselves to do that part? Or is that usually the fun part? I don't even know. I just know that every time I try to do it, I end up tweaking the battle system or downloading a script... which hopefully I'm done doing. I'm at the point now I don't recall every script I have, yet make use of the resources in them anyway. ;; Luckily the scripts I have are all organized so I can go through them and rework anything that's off. Good news is I'm particularly good at working with scripts so if something's off I can usually find the issue pretty quickly. Well, not actual SCRIPTING, just finding the issue usually involves compatibility or I did the customization wrong.

In entirely other news, it's my birthday today. :D

Ruby likes this.
  17. Gomi Boy

Gomi Boy   Veteran

First Language:
    the truth
    happy birthday

um I mean

I'M SO fricking ANGRY THAT IT'S YOUR fricking BIRTHDAY I HOPE YOU fricking ENJOY IT YOU PLEBE

18. Simplestchaos

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Aw thank you so much. <3<

Just realized it may not be obvious, but that's a spade.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Travatar

Travatar Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell. Veteran

Brought to you by Florida: The original creators o
    First Language:
    English
    Just the other day, I finished reading A Memory of Light the other day, the final book of the Wheel of Time series.

Rave: The Last Battle was the hell on earth free-for-all I was expecting, the battle scenes were fun to read, and some fairly awesome plot twists occurred. Some of the character deaths were somewhat satisfying, too. Where George R.R. Martin will expose his characters to real consequences and let them die, Robert Jordan tended to coddle and protect his characters to extremes. It was nice to see noble sacrifices that were finally actual sacrifices.

I was hoping for an epic showdown between Logain and Mazrim Taim/M'Hael, but still, the way Taim was finally taken out was very satisfying.

Rant: I appreciate what Brandon Sanderson did by finishing the story, and I know he did it strictly according to Robert Jordan's notes, so I don't blame him. I really can't blame Robert Jordan either, I guess. I mean, the guy had spun quite a yarn, and it's hard to imagine that any ending could have done it justice. After all, there are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time.

But...

No, seriously, Spoiler. That whole "The Dark One was not the enemy. And he never was" thing was pulled right out of the nethers. I don't have a problem with this position, just the fact that it was plopped in there all of a sudden. Don't get me wrong, I think it makes philosophical sense, but there was never any attempt to make it internally consistent within the context of the series. No paradigm shifts, no epiphanies that occurred before or after to set it up and make it really ring true.

I could understand if the book took the position of a necessary balance between Light and Dark, but it never has. Seriously, the entire book hinges on a Good-Evil conflict that is almost entirely free from any trace of moral ambiguity whatsoever. Followers of the Dark One have never been good, and "real" followers of the Light (other than the Children, I guess) have never been evil. So to pull that whole "Oh, I guess Evil must exist" thing now was kind of baffling.
    Also, The fact that Rand didn't really die and just body-swapped with Moridin/Ishamael sort of robbed the conclusion of its gravity for me. I kind of had a sinking feeling that would happen when Rand was all OMG! We're like, connected or something. But like Superman, I think the death of the Dragon Reborn would have meant a lot more if he actually stayed dead.

I know a lot of people liked this ending. But here's how I saw it: Rand wakes up in a different body, shrugs it off and thinks about how awesome everything is, wonders idly which of his three hot women is going to follow him as he literally rides off into the sunset with a pipe that he lit with his mind. (He can't channel the One Power anymore. Is he now a mage in a series that doesn't have "magic?")
    I couldn't help but think that it was a fist-pump and a freeze frame away from being the conclusion of a stereotypical 80's movie.

20. tpasmall

tpasmall The Mauve Avenger Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Stupid cereal companies, not making toys anymore.

Simplestchaos likes this.