The Rant/Rave Thread

Mon Dez

Good Loser
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog/English
Primarily Uses
It's official some game companies got on my nerves and it's the first that one has seriously gone too far.

Metro Lights a horror fps made hard mode and I literally mean it, a mode that almost every game has throughout every release for free has become a $5 DLC. Are you serious?

Why take a mode that every single game had for free and make it DLC? Main issue was that pc gamer asked the developers why and the developer's statement was a contradiction. I'm sorry, but the only changes to the hardcore mode was enhanced AI and the removal of the HUD! Is this necessary? Why are game companies so corrupted?! Capcom made on disc DLC, Sega barred Shining Force Videos, and now this? This is one of the most ridiculous things in gaming history. So what now? Are they gonna start making DLC for every small thing?

My issue was with the hardcore mode was that with the preorder it came with a special gun with special ammunition AND a comic book. Isn't that enough for a DLC? Can someone please explain to me what is going on in the gaming industry? It feels like they are getting worse and worse every year with this dumb DLC system that has ruined some games.

Wasn't the point of games were to have fun? I hate how businesses are corrupting the practices of games that were to give us fun. Hopefully when I become a professional game developer in the future and open a gaming company with my friend that we don't follow the same stupid practices that some of these businesses are conducting.

Well glad I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Here's a link to my favorite reviewer about this issue so check it out:

Last edited by a moderator:

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Mon Dez

Unfortunately most of these types of decisions are made by the people funding the game developers, aka the publishers. The developers can't say they don't like it and have to make half-assed excuses that don't make sense because they don't want to lose funding. This is why many developers who aren't tied down looked to kickstarter for funds, so they can do what they want without having someone else with only money on their mind making these decisions.

Mon Dez

Good Loser
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog/English
Primarily Uses
I try to not put the blame towards to the developers as seeing as movie licensed games are rushed by the publishers and that's probably the reasons why most if not all movie licensed games suck.

Publishers on the other hand need to play a "real" game and see how things are supposed to work, but of course all they want is the money and no matter how hard we the players try, they just don't listen to us. If things don't work for the publishers then they wonder why they are not making enough money and shift the blame to GameStop and well... you know the other thing.

Reason why I had the developers at fault was the incident with Gearboxes games Alien: Colonel Marines and Duke Nukem. I don't know the exact story to both of these games, but both had potential except Alien had terrible AI scripting and Duke had soooo many issues with gameplay that it wasn't even funny.

Also how do you explain the on-disc DLC and I know the publishers were on this too, but on-disc DLC is not an excuse for extra coding because NetherRealms could patch the problems that Capcom couldn't which places the faults to the developers.

I know all developers are not at fault, but I feel as if there needs to be some sort of hierarchy against these corrupted practices that can be seen in some developers and most publishers.

seita

Donn_M
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
on disc DLC, I don't know the exact reasoning, but I would say it's most likely the publishers as well, trying to squeeze money out and use the convenience of having it already on disc instead of later downloading it.

As for Duke Nukem, it was developed over a span of 10 years with I think at least 3-4 different studios working on it. The game was scrapped a few times, bought by other publishers and had their studios work on them, with each iteration having different outcomes. For the same reason that you think it should have been amazing, publishers assume that since the game has been in production for so long that it would be easier to finish. Unfortunately it doesn't work out that way, because the game was developed by a different studio and worked on by different people every time. They had to learn the system and fix bugs, or change mechanics entirely, quite possibly from the publishers wanting something different. In the end, Gearbox was given a half-assed product that they "HAD" to finish, so they had to push it out, with mechanics that were literally 10 years old. New graphics with an old engine and old mechanics was complete failure. Think of it like an RPG Maker game where one person starts something. Another person picks it up. Have you seen the chain game? It's fun but it's very inconsistent. Now span that over 10 years, I assume we'll have had two new RPG Maker engines by then.

Now for Aliens Colonial Marines. The game was originally developed by Gearbox, but layoffs and mismanagement (guess why) prompted the publishers to outsource the rest of the development to a different studio called TimeGate studios. They overhauled the game for some reason. By the time TimeGate returned the game to Gearbox, everything was different and worse. They didn't have enough time to fix the game, so it was rushed to release with no time to polish and little time to test bugs.

I read these details in a few articles online concerning the games and why they were so bad when they had so much time. Now you tell me, do you still blame the developers? I don't at all.

Here's the link to the story about Aliens. http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream-to-disaster-the-story-of-aliens-colonial-marines

I can't find the one about Duke Nukem, but there's more than one article about its development online.

Mon Dez

Good Loser
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog/English
Primarily Uses
@seita

Good points and when games have been transferred from developer to developer, it's hard to gain the bearings plus with the rushes from the publishers, the game becomes a mess from the cross section coding.

What about Star Trek Online? The lead developer of the game had his people rate the game 8/10, 9/10, and 10/10 on meta critic to gain their bearings to be the best game ever that was released plus you have War Z where people were blackmailed and banned by the people that made the game plus on post release the game was ridiculously bugged and the only working feature was the micro-transactions in which was the fault of both publisher and developers. Now back to Star Trek the new game, there was issues to the game with co-op and not only that, but AI was terrible and there were numerous yet hilarious bugs that were fixed. The lead developer of the game quote stated on the thread to why Co-op didn't work that:

Game works fine for me because it uses Steam servers.
That right there brought warning bells that the developer did in fact not test the game before the post release, but I'm not saying it was just his fault, but of the publishers fault for trying to rush development time on these games.

I remember when games were actually tested before they were released, but because to the faults of the publishers then games are released buggy and broken.

Back to the case of War Z, it was both the fault of the publishers and the developers for lying to the community and back lashing the fans of Day Z that pointed out the faults in the game. Whoever made the terms agreement clearly copied off of Leagues of Legends terms of service as the link had the hashtags from the Leagues of Legends terms of service.

As I stated before I'm not blaming the developers on most of the issues, but there have been cases of developers going along with these decisions of these publishers and they have the right to not support these practices, but instead get strung along through either fear or greed.

Diego2112

The Gaming Gamer Who Games
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
OH GOODY!  A GAH THREAD!!!  *Mine is an evil laugh*

So, my gah is PEOPLE.

Today should have been a great day-it's Mother's Day, I'm spending it with my loverly wife and daughter, can't ask for much more.  But then PEOPLE come into the picture, and screw THE GORRAM POOCH.  Can't get a moment's peace, without a "I need this," or "Can you help me with this" or "My boyfriend dumped me, VALIDATE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" from them.

I understand that because I have a few psychology courses under my belt it's the price I pay-but I am NOT Sigmund Freud!  

I feel like Frasier Crane sometimes-"every day, I help people with their problems.  But it doesn't end when I take off the headphones-oh no.  In the office, at the Cafe, even here in the building!  They ask me for help.  And each time I do, it takes a little piece of ME."

I'm drained.  I'm out of energy.  Blasé.  Tired.  Beat.  Burned out.  Used up.  Taking the Oath.  Wore out.  Downtrodden.  Ran down.  Take your pick, I've got plenty more...

Now, before anyone cites the obvious hypocrisy of my posting my problems with people to a forum full of people,  I am posting simply to get it off my chest on the ONLY platform I can, since 95% of the people I'm talking about are on my Facebook, or members of other forums I'm a member of!  

So there you have it.  My Gah is PEOPLE.

​Hopefully, the next 9ish hours will be free of such trite and saccharine things, because once my alarm goes off at 6:20 tomorrow morning, it's 6 days of dealing with PEOPLE.

Travatar

Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Rant:

Yesterday, the local radio station did a "bribe"-- they play a certain song, and the 97th caller wins $1,000.

So they played the song while I was taking a morning walk. Luckily I had my Mp3 player tuned to the station. I heard the song starting to play, waited a few moments and dialed. I got a busy signal, hung up. Dialed, got a busy signal, hung up. Each time, I used my Call Log to redial the number.

After about 30 minutes, they announce the 92nd caller. I keep dialing, getting busy signals and hanging up.

I deal again, and I hear it ringing through!
:)

It rings again!!

:cutesmile:

And again!!!

:D

And then, I hear a voice!!!!

BD :guffaw:

It was the voice mail of my daughter's pre-school. :o Apparently on that 62nd attempt, my thumb slipped and I dialed the wrong number from my call log :( They announced the winner shortly after that. Yay for them or something, I guess.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
People who don't respond to e-mails or PMs within a day annoy me.

And if it takes more than a week to get a reply, then I will never message you back again.

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
People who don't respond to e-mails or PMs within a day annoy me.

And if it takes more than a week to get a reply, then I will never message you back again.
Now ya see, that seems kind of petty to me.  I mean, me personally, I DO try to respond to a PM or Email the DAY I get it-but unfortunately, life is one of those things I cannot predict.  There have been times where it's taken me one, two, or even THREE weeks to respond.

Now, if I know it's going to be a while, normally I'll send SOME sort of response, saying "Message received, no time to reply at the moment, but I WILL get back to you when I can," but seriously, surely you understand that people have things that come up in life?

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now ya see, that seems kind of petty to me.  I mean, me personally, I DO try to respond to a PM or Email the DAY I get it-but unfortunately, life is one of those things I cannot predict.  There have been times where it's taken me one, two, or even THREE weeks to respond.

Now, if I know it's going to be a while, normally I'll send SOME sort of response, saying "Message received, no time to reply at the moment, but I WILL get back to you when I can," but seriously, surely you understand that people have things that come up in life?
Then that's not the kind of person I'd even want to converse with if they can't be arsed to take a little time out of their day to respond to said e-mail or PM. I understand being busy the entire day. But that's why you reply the day after that - or if you are unable to send anything back at all, you'll let the other person know.

Radio silence just annoys the crap out of me. If you won't make an effort to reply, I won't make an effort to talk to you either.

This is in response to friends/acquaintances and not just like a business e-mail.

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Then that's not the kind of person I'd even want to converse with if they can't be arsed to take a little time out of their day to respond to said e-mail or PM. I understand being busy the entire day. But that's why you reply the day after that - or if you are unable to send anything back at all, you'll let the other person know.

Radio silence just annoys the crap out of me. If you won't make an effort to reply, I won't make an effort to talk to you either.

This is in response to friends/acquaintances and not just like a business e-mail.
Again, crap happens in life.  There have been times I've come back from the hospital (either for myself or a friend), and had emails to reply to.  There have been times where my internet has been shut off.  There have been times where I've pulled 14 hour shifts at work two weeks straight (and came home to college work that needed doing).  

Crap happens.  If you can't be understanding of that, then you're probably not the type of person *I* would want to talk to.  That's just me though.  Probably comes with realizing that life is just that-LIFE.  

Chill out a little, and realize that nine out of ten, if a person does not respond in your timeframe, then one of two things most PROBABLY happened-the either haven't even SEEN the message, or they have too much on their plate at the time. 

EDIT:  And with that, I'm off to bed-just taken my meds, and don't want to deal with anyone or anything anymore today.

sai

devourer of eggs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Again, crap happens in life.  There have been times I've come back from the hospital (either for myself or a friend), and had emails to reply to.  There have been times where my internet has been shut off.  There have been times where I've pulled 14 hour shifts at work two weeks straight (and came home to college work that needed doing).  

Crap happens.  If you can't be understanding of that, then you're probably not the type of person *I* would want to talk to.  That's just me though.  Probably comes with realizing that life is just that-LIFE.  

Chill out a little, and realize that nine out of ten, if a person does not respond in your timeframe, then one of two things most PROBABLY happened-the either haven't even SEEN the message, or they have too much on their plate at the time. 

EDIT:  And with that, I'm off to bed-just taken my meds, and don't want to deal with anyone or anything anymore today.
I dunno, I agree with Celianna on the promptness for a response. Instead of finding all the excuses as to why a person can't, it's much easier to find a single solution. I mean for me, I don't have regular internet access at home, and most times I depend on internet access via public wi-fi or through my crappy phone with crappy service. It's really not hard to whip the old phone out and write a quick one. And yes, I know crap happens, I have been through a ton of crap personally, but I don't make excuses about crap being in the way of an e-mail or message that would take like a minute to type up. That said, a peeve of mine is people making a ton of excuses over something so simple.

Anyway, as for ranty rants I REALLY HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO NOT SHOW UP FOR WORK. ESPECIALLY IF THEY HOLD AN IMPORTANT ROLE SUCH AS OPENING THE STORE. By all means, yes, I could call someone to fill in for them. But if a person knows that they have a job to do, it would be best to not get into shenanigans leading to an arrest which would in turn screw me over on store opening. Just, ugh, yeah, I really don't like how people don't give a crap about their jobs. And I don't care if my job is McJob at the moment, but a job is a job.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Gah! That annoys me, but the other way around. If I get a PM or an email or someone talks to me on Skype, I NEED to respond straight away - I figure they want to know this now, and they're waiting for an answer, so I stop what I'm doing and respond. I also can't concentrate until I've taken care of it, as it's in the back of my mind the whole time until I've addressed it. This leads to a LOT of interruptions, and I only have a very few people on Skype because of it - people I know aren't going to interrupt me for trivial things and who I don't mind stopping my work for.

A few years ago, I had a friend we'd met through our children. She was a single mother, two kids, unemployed, studying part time. Son would be dropped off at school early each morning, daughter to daycare two or three times a week, and the rest of the day she spent studying, shopping, visiting friends or doing stuff online - basically a lot of socializing. I was working two jobs from home part time (between them, a full time load), studying full time, and homeschooling my son. I had very little time available, and when my work time came around, I needed to concentrate. She had me on skype, which I used for work purposes so had to have it on, showing my status. She would always distract me, wanting to chat about things or have me help her with her assignments. I told her once that during my work times, I can't chat, and that just because skype said I was on, didn't mean I could skype with her. She said she understood that, but even after saying it, she still chatted with me on skype whenever I logged on. A while later I mentioned it to her again, and she said "Yeah, I know. I don't expect you to reply to me."

????

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As I said earlier, most of the time, if something is going to prevent me from directing my full attention to the response required, I'll let the person know-I'm simply stating that CRAP HAPPENS, and until you know the situation, rather'n just write 'em off, FIND OUT.  Yes, if they are MAKING excuses, that's one thing-but if they've had a ****ton on their plate, and this is just a social call you're making?  Sorry, to me, work and school come first.  

But hey, I guess that's just me-I'm used to being the oddball of the group.  On to my rant for the day:

These new meds.  They make me feel warm and fuzzy, to be sure, but I can't think straight, I can't hardly talk without giggling, and they don't really help with the pain.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The only time I don't respond to a friend is if A. My messages screwed up and I never saw it (alerts have been screwing up on the forums for me for some reason and I sometimes miss new pms >_> B. I'm literally not at my computer for a day. This only normally happens if I'm CRAZY sick or am on a trip though.

Animus

"My Shangri-La beneath the summer moon."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Creole
Primarily Uses
I think the worst is someone you consider a good friend who never responds to a phone call or text, whether it's me or one of his other friends that I am good friends with. He just never answers when he's free, to the point we used to have to jump him at work for a few minutes to make plans. How can someone not notice that? It's not like the two of us do this every day and try to bug the hell out of him.

Honestly nowadays for me it's once every couple of weeks or so, and he still doesn't acknowledge anything, made even worse by my moving a few months ago to the middle of nowhere for a job, so now the only friend I kept into contact with is someone who is impossible to contact.  I'm trying to get him to give me the newest contact information of the other friend I mentioned above, as we've been out of touch for about a year now since he moved before I did. Either way I've been on the receiving end of NO contact for far too damn long, so I know how Celianna feels about leaving people alone who don't answer you, and I wish I could just say "Frick it" too, but if I cut that link I am literally all alone, which sucks. Words between people over the net only does so much.

PS: We've both confronted him multiple times about it, and it's why we know it's an actual problem and not him secretly hating us or something, especially since when we were in high-school he wanted to hang out all the time. (helped that we were in the same school so we could easily meet and force plans out of him lol)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Talk about taking my rant way too personally!

I'm the kind of person who will want an answer to my e-mail or PM. No ifs and buts or excuses. If you can find the time in your day to take a crap, you can find the time in your day to respond to my message. The only thing I can understand is if you do not have access to a computer/phone/internet - in which case I'd like to be notified. People who purposely do not reply to a message just annoy the hell out of me.

So yeah - if you can't send me one back within a day or two, I won't message you ever again. Not the kind of friend I want to have who is not even available.

Diego2112

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
And nowhere in there did I say anything about purposefully, did I?  Not that I recall.  Oh well, it is what it is.  You've got your way, I've got mine-you don't like my way, I don't like your'n.  That's the great thing about being an individual, innit?  If we was all the same, it's a duller world it'd be.  Or something profound like that.

Anyway, my rant/rave for the day:  People who think I should be able to churn out the game I'm working on with a snap of my fingers.  It's annoyed I am with a few of my mates, consistently hounding me about when Eratru is going to be done.  I'm about to the point where I put my development schedule on "Valve Time," i.e. "It's done when it's done," cause even though I churned out a (decent) hour and a half demo (showcasing the battle system more'n anything-and even that's nothing really fancy, just random on the overworld, and non-random in dungeons), they STILL badger me DAILY.

That gets old.

REAL quick.

Also them new meds again.  Knock me out like a light, my new pain pill does what it's supposed to, but I can't function on it, and couple that with the muscle relaxer they've got me on for my heart, while it's one I've been on many times before, it still causes some issues with my cognitive functions.  Can't think straight, and if I take 'em both within the same hour (pain pill and muscle relaxer), I can't even TALK right.  If I DON'T, though, then they barely knock the edge off the pain.

I've an appointment set up for Wednesday with my doctor to see about getting put back on my old meds-they don't work GREAT, but at least I can function.

Travatar

Summoned by candle, by book, and by bell.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Rave: I've promoted to a higher position at work. :) Thank goodness I learned patience through all that level-grinding in my younger days.

Ocedic

Dog
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses

If you're busy, then communicate. It's okay to say something like, "I'm really swamped and can't give your inquiry the attention it deserves right now. I'll respond in x days." It's really annoying to deal with people who leave things hanging because you have no idea whether you've been abandoned and should move on, or sit tight and be patient. It becomes a blind choice. This is especially terrible with professional inquiries, such as dealing with commissions (anyone who has dealt with either a flaky seller or customer knows what I'm talking about.)

And the fact of the matter is, everyone is busy. We all have obligations and work; learn to deal with it and manage your time instead of just blowing people off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I started to paint again after it didn't fit my female character. (I really intend to draw women)

I was more focused on female characters than men.

Score Rundown for the demo I'm trying to get done before Halloween, Or around it. Ending is based on your score currently.
Oh goooood, why am putting so many skills into my game AAAAAAAAAAAA!
Stream will be live shortly with some pixel art! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeoLightningProductions