Not open for further replies.

morlockhater

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Back again! Been busy the last few weeks working at a summer camp, teaching nearly 400 kids singing! Back to working on this again now, lots of progress to post over the next few days! For now, here's the first draft of the game's title screen! Feedback welcome and encouraged! :)

title_screen___veronica_mars_fangame_by_morlockhater-d93l2b2.png

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's some really nice pixel work there!

I have just one question though. Is that a sea in front of the city?

If it is, I'd probably extend it all the way across to the left, and replace those squiggly formations on the right side with a bridge. Not sure if it fits with a certain town in the game, but it just seems..cooler x)

morlockhater

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That's some really nice pixel work there!

I have just one question though. Is that a sea in front of the city?

If it is, I'd probably extend it all the way across to the left, and replace those squiggly formations on the right side with a bridge. Not sure if it fits with a certain town in the game, but it just seems..cooler x)
Thanks! It's meant to be a costal town, the squiggles are windsails! :)

sonofjay6

Young Aspiring Pixel Artist!
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
Hi guys! I'm fairly new on pixel art (just reading tutorials last night) and this is my first sprite creation so please be gentle with me. I haven't made the back part but I'll probably get to that later. Any criticism and suggestion will really help a lot. I think my real problem really is that I'm having a hard time making the animation looks smooth and natural(although I like how the front version turned out). :C So any  tips for that will be great.

Its made from scratch but I was looking on many different reference to make sure that the proportions are correct(do I have to credit those people who made those sprites that I'm studying?).

EDIT: Removed the old ones since I now have the final version:

Lhei.gifLhei4.gifLhei3.gifLhei2.gif

I made it using paint.net

Lhei-Complete.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You've got one frame out of place on the forward view, she shifts to the left one pixel on the rightmost frame.  The motion looks fine to me, except there isn't enough.  Her shoulders aren't moving at all.  Even a little indication that the sleeves are swinging with the arms would help make her look less stiff.  Once you get the movement the way you want you should put the bounce back in.  One of the frames of each view should be shifted one pixel up from the others, it'll hide a lot of animation quirks and make it look like an actual walk and not skating.

sonofjay6

Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
Yeah, lol, that's been bothering me too but I got lazy fixing it. Anyway, here's my attempt on your suggestion. Its only the front view since I don't know if I did it right, I think the shoulder pad shrunk too much, what do you think?

Lhei_Fix_1.gif

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The shoulder pads look like buttons that get pressed and depressed.  Maybe instead of moving the slanted bit closer to the shoulder you should change the shape.

sonofjay6

Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
How about this one, I tried to adjust the heights of the shoulder pads to make it not to look like its being pressed and depressed. Thoughts? I think whats making it look weird are those extra pixels on the the top of the shoulder pad but it makes the shoulder pad look a little better when its just standing.

Lhei_Fix_1.gif

sonofjay6

Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
Thanks! I'll work on the others now but its kinda late here so I'll probably finish it tomorrow.

EDIT:

Finished the others!

Lhei_Fix_2.gifLhei_Fix_3.gifLhei_Fix_4.gif

Thanks Sharm for giving criticism and helping me make my very first sprite character. :)

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Sonofjay that looks so much more natural now. =]

help_zps0xqbln8r.png

I am having trouble with the last edit to this autotile made with a base by Nakura.

The upper left inside corner has half a skull.

I take it I need to add something --- to the lower right corner of my 64x64? in the 16x16 square to line up with it?

(gotta love autotiles!)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You either need to add the skull to the bottom middle or take the skull out of the two sides of the inner corner.  You should probably redo those inner corners though, they don't match up in more ways than that.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You either need to add the skull to the bottom middle or take the skull out of the two sides of the inner corner.  You should probably redo those inner corners though, they don't match up in more ways than that.
you're right. It's all four "T" directions. bleh.

I was using their tile and assuming it was good. Bad choice I guess.

Good eye; thanks.

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Could someone help me? I want to know how to make dirt paths have more "depth" instead of looking so flat with the rest of the map. You know, to make them look more "path-like." Here's what I have to far...

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
If you have the dirt path on a new layer, it could help to have a dark brown "shadow" along the edges where grass meets path. Either via a drop shadow option for the grass in your graphic program or just select the grass, expand the selection for a few pixels, fill in a new layer with dark brown (or black), lower the opacity, make it a bit softer around the edges.

Just a suggestion. In general, try to define the edges of the grass to give it a better border.

Dymdez

Newbie-in-Chief
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you have the dirt path on a new layer, it could help to have a dark brown "shadow" along the edges where grass meets path. Either via a drop shadow option for the grass in your graphic program or just select the grass, expand the selection for a few pixels, fill in a new layer with dark brown (or black), lower the opacity, make it a bit softer around the edges.

Just a suggestion. In general, try to define the edges of the grass to give it a better border.
I tried for a couple hours but it looks like crud... are there any tuts available on this?

L.W. Flouisa

NumeroHex
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a smallest tileset I'm experimenting with at the moment. When I opened up the game to test it, the tileset ended up making the town look like it was overgrown by vines.

Not exactly what I was intending. :p

grasstileset.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, you can't just make random lines and hope it'll work.  In pixel art each pixel needs to be placed with care and on purpose.  If you're hoping for the green stuff to look like something you've got to give it more than contrast and texture, it needs form.  Do you have a program that will let you see things tiled while you work?  I've found that something like that helps a whole lot.  The programs that I know of that do that are Pyxel Edit (my fave), Pro Motion, and Krita.  Pro Motion was part of the Humble Bundle, it's not free.  Pyxel Edit has two versions, the paid one (cheap) and the unsupported and buggy older version (free).  Krita is free but you can't do pixel art with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Figured I would start posting what I am working on here. Anyways, a quest system plugin I have been working on:
20mgjmZ.png

What features would yall like to see in a quest system?
Playing my game to improve my game. (Totally not procrastinating)
Hope he recovers fast :|

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeplullaby