The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beliziam

beliziam Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Germany
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Rukiri Looks very nice and slick, however the bottom part of the eyes on the faceset look a little bit too round.

2. Prodigy 1216

Prodigy 1216 Prodigious Member Veteran

First Language:
    Malanglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sup yall I need feedback for my Battle HUD. I am thinkin to create those Buffs and Debuffs smaller icons cause they just too dayum big. The icons used here is for demonstration only. Not to be used in the final game.
    [​IMG]
    Here's how it would look in the actual battle screen
    [​IMG]

I have no idea how to arrange it. So anyone got any recommendations?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  3. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Personally don't like it, looks random... just add the second gauge under the main one.

Update :d
    upload_2017-7-20_22-13-50.png

Attached Files:

Quxios and Prodigy 1216 like this.
  4. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Prodigy 1216 Personally, I like the way one of the bars is vertical. However, they both look slightly depleted, especially the red one. Also, all of the different angles used it a bit off-putting, they should typically all be 45 or 22.5 degree angles, but some of them aren't even straight. :/

@Rukiri Looking good! Seems like his head could use more shading, but that's just personal preference.

5. Gonor

Gonor Veteran Veteran

Switzerland (but originally from Germany)
    First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I did something similar once in (never finished) project. And I think it's a really neat effect to be easily achieved with a picture (or parallax in your case).

The only thing that bugs me is that apparently (according to the dialogue in your video) you can only go up if your in the cave.
    Why then is there a hole below the elevator? Will you be able to go down even further? If not, I think it might look better if you had some kind of elevated area where the elevator settles down.
    Just an idea.

6. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @beliziam I can confirm for the old school but it is what works best as usual... Kinda like practical effects. ;)

7. callmedan

callmedan Friendly Stranger Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I'm trying to make a trunk shelf tile. It looks really weird :kaoswt: Can you give me some advices? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The shelves seem to be alright but the stuff in them is too visually similar and hard to see. You should do something to make them less brown, maybe raise the saturation and brighten them up a bit?

callmedan likes this.
  9. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Being unable to find someone willing to do battlers for my project, I took it upon myself to try my hand at it.

At this point, it looks pitiful, I know. Maybe if I add a black outline, my gnome battler will become a piece of junk?

GNome.png

Lestroth likes this.
  10. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Nutty171 I'm just working on the outline, I'm actually gonna downsize just a tad mainly since this is for a game not a portrait.

Edit: 7/23/17 11:31PM
    so almost there basically.
    upload_2017-7-24_2-54-46.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  11. cl4ptr4p

cl4ptr4p relaxed af Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Recently just finished two game assets for a game my friend is working on. They're actually three together so I'm still working on the last one.

(Slightly NSFW)
    [​IMG]

For some reason their poses kinda look awkward for some reason. Too stiff, perhaps? Feedback and criticism is very much appreciated!

Marquise* likes this.
  12. Prodigy 1216

Prodigy 1216 Prodigious Member Veteran

First Language:
    Malanglish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Rukiri I like your sprite but tbh if you see his right hand(our left) looks a bit weird to me. Or is it the arm? According to our arm, from the shoulder it will decrease in size until the wrist. So maybe something's wrong with his arm. When you look at it, if you use the girl there for reference she wears some sort of arm cloth? Idk what's it's called that's why it looks big.

@Blanc I am no expert when it comes to female drawing but female shoulders should be a little more lower than males. This is what I learnt from my lecturer.

13. Lestroth

Lestroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @MobileSuitSonic I really like your art style. The gnome looks so cute! It looks a bit comic-y, so I think even a thick black outline wouldn't hurt. If you don't want to use black, you can resort to a dark version of the color you use for that part of the sprite. A dark grey for grey areas, a dark red of red areas, and so on.

What is that on the top of the gnomes head? Is that hair or is that a sack? To me it either looks like a bald gnome, who hides the shinies he'd just stolen in the sack over his shoulders OR a gnome with a very bold haircut, who is chewing on a strand of hair. If it's a bag, the shading is pretty awkward. The grey part of it makes the shape look completely flat.

Other than that the battler would benefit from a little bit of shading :)

14. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @MobileSuitSonic It looks as though you're having troubles with your outlines. Like you drew it on something white, either on accident in your graphics program or because of not knowing how to get rid of the background from a scan. There are lots of ways to get rid of the white, I know three that use photoshop. Which one you use depends a lot on what you want to do with the lines and how big and clear the original scan is. What graphics program are you using, how big is the original compared to the size you want it, and do you want to be able to color the outlines?

15. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's a gnome carrying a sack. He has a stash of stolen treasure which you discover after beating him.

I wish I could get someone to help me with this but it falls on deaf ears too often.

16. Lestroth

Lestroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Okay, I've been working on my tileset until, well, real life happened two months ago and I had to slow down. Now I'm getting back at it, and honestly, I need a little bit of cheering up or reassurance or whatever, because I'm such a perfectionist that at the moment I feel like nothing what I do is good enough. Even though I'm really giving my best, I feel like I'm progressing very slowly and that the restult is still lackluster. But in case that I'm currently making mistake after mistake, I thought it would be a good time to redo/correct my existing tiles now, before moving on.

I don't know... I mean, obviously I've got some kind of artistic talent. The tiles don't look bad, but they are far from good either.

When I began, I thought: Hey, let's leave those outlines on furniture and stuff aside! Outlines give a comic-y look, and I don't want that for this game! Currently it's dawning upon me, why everyone else is using dark outlines, even on the side where the lightsource is. My tiles give me a little bit of an... impressionistic vibe right now and I worry that players couldn't extinguish the NPCs from the rest of the map, which would be horrible for their experience.

Interior1.png

Then again, it's not so bad with another floor tile.

Interior2.png

Exterior tiles can be quite messy, too. Can you guess what that plant might be?

Outside1.png

But as long as I stick close to the style of other artists, suddenly the buildings don't look so bad.

Outside2.png

So, please, any criticism is welcome. Any tip, anything. There is so much I still have yet to make, especially exterior related stuff. Is it worth the effort or would you suggest I just... go work with the things I already have, and if I really should make it and finish this game, simply hire an artist?

Marquise* likes this.
  17. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You very clearly don't need to hire an artist. This is very good, you're just not used to doing this type of art yet so it's got some issues that just need a little tweaking to fix. The characters blend in to the background because the floor demands more attention. It's visually interesting, nice contrast, lots of detail, but unfortunately you don't want a floor with a lot of visual interest, you want a floor that's willing to be background. Tone down the contrast, make a floor with less firm details and more implied lines, or try some other method to make it less bold. You're right about the outlines being important. You can do a lineless look, but to do that you have to have some other method to define boarders between things. Most of the time this means that lineless will also be low in detail and bolder in color choices, so that the flat plains of color are what makes things separate. The lines don't have to be black though, I like to use a dark color that matches the thing I'm outlining. The outline doesn't even have to be entirely the same color, it can be lighter in the section where the light source hits it, and darker in the shadow.

Lestroth and Marquise* like this.
  18. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Lestroth those tiles are absolutely killer mate, there's no need to hire an artist. If a game with those graphics popped up on my recommended feed on Steam I'd definitely give it a look and probably wishlist it too. Everything Sharm says is some good advice too, those tweaks could easily bring this up to the level of a professional pixel artist, so keep at it!

Lestroth likes this.
  19. Lestroth

Lestroth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @Sharm @onipunk Thank you both for your kind words and your support! I really appreciate it.

It means a lot to me that you both like my tiles, because right now I think I'm not able to judge them even somewhat objectively. Let's just say that, when I got back to pixel art, I took a look at the work of others - just to get a bit inspiration. And when I compared their work to mine... their choice of colors, the proportions, the overall ambience and so on, they just look so much better than mine - so I got really discouraged.

But! Now you gave me so much advice, that I see the light at the end of the tunnel! I won't give up! There is still much work to be done and even more to learn, but I will do it! I can do it!

I already added an outline to most of my interior furniture and redid some edges, while I've been at it.

Here is a screenshot so you can see how the map in the first screenshots looks currently:

inside1.png

It's definitely more... sophisticated now. There were some tiles that looked like they didn't need any outline, or only partly, because the stark contrast worked in their favour.

But how would you go about adding outlines to trees and other plants outside? There isn't such a difference in green tones, so they could probably use some dark borders, but then again, in my eyes the tree canopies look better without an outline. And what about smaller leaves, flowers and plants, which are decoration only? They should also stay in the background, right? Would you add an outline nonetheless?

outside1.png

Oh, and one last question! I think the leaves of the bamboo plants are a bit too thin and are "just noise", like Sharm often puts it. I already tried playing with the hue, saturation, brightness and contrast, but to no avail. Should I just make the leaves bigger or is the grass tile too dominant? I actually like the grass and don't want to change it too much...

Again, thank you very, very much! Next are the floor tiles... this will take a little longer :)

Marquise* likes this.
  20. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Funny thing about pixel art, if you focus too much on accurately drawing what you want to be there it's going to look awful, but if you let yourself exaggerate and imply the basic feeling of what you want to represent it looks way better. So for a cluster of leaves sometimes what you want isn't to show each leaf, sometimes you want to imply the shape of a leaves inside the whole shape of the cluster. Or sometimes you'll go ahead and loose the delicacy of the silhouette to put in an outline outside and increase visibility. Sometimes you'll make things have way more importance and be bigger than reality to add clarity. I tried to zoom in and look closely at what you've got right now on the bamboo so I could have a better idea of what to suggest, maybe do an edit, but sadly both images with the bamboo aren't clear enough to get a look at the precise pixels used.

I don't think the floor tiles will take very long. If you just drop down the number of colors used it can work very well and would be as simple as a color replace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.