The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    That's exactly what I meant. I think it looks better now.

Marquise* and callmedan like this.
  2. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've created an idle animation for my character for when they're facing forward and right; however, I'm not sure how to post the animated sprite here. Any suggestions? I'll post the sheet anyway; it's the two rows above the dark blue placeholder section, in the top left. Thoughts?

Edit: I've updated the sprite with new sideways walking animations (White area!). Her clothing now moves as she walks, and her hair swishes slightly when walking in any direction. I still don't know how to create a .gif on here, so we're limited to a still image.

Sprite_Player_09_[f8].png

My main two issues with the walking animation right now is that her head and neck do not move whatsoever, and that in the side view she's actually kind of homely. Not sure how to fix that, though...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  3. MobileSuitSonic

MobileSuitSonic Mod Magnet Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made the mistake of drawing this without inking and had to do the outlines digitally. Does the tongue look okay?

Untitled.png

According to the rules, if I understand correctly, I can follow this up with 24 hours of the last post, yes?
    I did make another enemy, burabura:

Burabura.png

Do the lines look okay?
    Is the rust fine?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In most places on the forum it's 72 hours, aka 3 days and only where it makes sense to bump. The exception of a single day is really for people who are adding new content to their resource sharing threads and isn't a hard and fast exception, more of a "if it makes sense and you aren't spamming we'll allow it". I merged the posts but I'm not certain about whether or not the exception should apply here. Usually it's not a problem so we've never had to make that decision. I'm leaning towards a no.

Personally I haven't been responding to your newer pieces because they all have the same problems I pointed out in the first one, and you never answered my questions about that one that would help me tell you the best solution for getting rid of those problems. If you're happy with the way things are with the things I pointed out I don't really have anything useful to add. You shouldn't probably put all of your monsters up here for critique, after a certain point there isn't anything different to learn than you would from just putting up the ones you're having the most difficulty with.

Marquise* likes this.
  5. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    (Sigh)

Traditional paper, pencil, and pen. Then GIMP.

As for lighting, I'm picturing it coming from above like a spotlight.

I draw them because I have stuff that people refuse to draw.
    The problem is, I make Christian Weston Chandler look like Alex Ross.

6. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, even as a novice I can see that your monsters are looking a bit flat. You've darkened the colors on planes near the bottom, but there's little to no gradual shading; if burabura- for example- is supposed to be round, there should be increasingly dark shadows on the sides. Since it's round, its eyes should also look like they wrap around inside the main body, instead of looking like they're not even attached, or worse, flattening the facial area. Do you know what I mean?

7. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know what kind of sorcery Thalzon or any of the others use to make stuff like this flawless.

I should never had tried to contribute.

Even though I try to get people to do this stuff for me, I usually get no reply... except from mods, maybe, and that tends to be to point out where I screwed up.

I have ideas, limited resources, and little else.

I give up.

8. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @MobileSuitSonic This is the wrong approach, obviously. Even if you're not good at the start, practice is very important. If you're expecting to be as good as Thalzon when just starting, you're obviously going to be disappointed. Thalzon undoubtedly took years of practice to get where he is now. If keep working at it, you can do well.
    Again, you can't expect people to "do it for you." You need to put some effort into it. And as for the "pointing out where you screwed up," that's exactly what they should be doing, and exactly what you should be asking for. To improve, you need to fix the bad first, and then enhance the good. The only thing stopping you from improving is yourself.

Now, of course I understand if the diligent practice is simply too much work for you; just accept that things like this take hard work and determination.

9. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    It's true. I have natural artistic talent, but I don't just pop out good art. It takes me dozens of continuous hours of work just to make something like the sprite I posted. It took me ten weeks, working hours each day, to make my first painting! Every time I think I've completed something, I end up going over it again to redo something I did wrong. That's just the nature of art. You aren't a bad artist, and you don't need to be flawless.

Lestroth likes this.
  10. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A friend of mine is helping me with these. I do the drawing and coloring, he shades.

Burabura.png

Do the eyes still look like they hover now?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  11. Robert-Character Creator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not nearly as much, now. The eyes look like they're bulging outward a little, but I assume that's intentional. It fits your art style, in any case. Keep it up!

12. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, I am trying to go for a quasi-anime look with some of them. Sorry if I got a bit emo. A little pep talk got me going again.

13. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, here's me trying to do art:
    Blue Slime PNG.png
    Edit: Wait a minute, shouldn't this be closed and shouldn't there be a Resource WIP Thread 3 now that this one has reached over 100 pages?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Marquise* likes this.
  14. MobileSuitSonic

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A modification of karakasa. Shading as last time, was added by a friend.

20840193_1840354862658306_455218800_n.png

15. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Time for a new resource WIP thread!

To anyone who posted their resources in the past 3 pages, you can post them again in the new thread!.

Resource WIP thread 3 here.

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.