The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Caitlin

I don't know school buses in the US, so I may be wrong here, but I don't think they have completely circular roofs.  The one you have at the moment is more barrel shaped.  Wouldn't there be at least some flattening on the top, with just the sides a bit curved?

@FelipePedro

If that character is for Ace, then I think you need to work more on the shading.  If it's for something like RM2k3, then I don't know enough about the art style for that to comment.

2. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, the roof is kind of weird, so I'll definitely have to go back and edit it a bit... I'll update it when I do the edits, but that will be tomorrow...

3. atasuke10

atasuke10 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just made my first faceset, spent a lot of time with that and I'm satisfied about a lot of things with it,\. but it's still lacking
    a lot and needs a lot of polishment before im really satisfied with it :) (but i have no idea what and how :D )
    Please help :)

http://imgur.com/xprigAO

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In one sense it's difficult to give precise feedback, because there are so many different styles and I don't know which one you are aiming for.  Therefore the following might not be helpful, depending on the look you want to achieve.

I think it looks very flat.  Take the hair.  There is almost no differentiation in the shading.  There is nothing except the outline shape to indicate what's there.  Perhaps if you looked at some examples from the RTP to see how it can be done?  The same with the shading down the side of the face.  It comes down in a more or less straight line, so it doesn't indicate the existence of a cheekbone.

I think the neck looks too narrow, but I have seen a number of faces like that, so perhaps that's a particular style.

On the check/jaw line on our left looking at it, there are some odd tiny irregularities in the outline.

5. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    I guess researching the rtp images for shading is good research for what I want.

I see what you mean about the cheekbones and the irregularities,\. the neck i just put two lines there for now

since the face is bound to be transformed and changed, i don't want this to be the final product either since I'm a beginner at the whole digital

art thing :)  

6. Dark Horseman

Dark Horseman NPC Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2015
    Saltwater Croc and atasuke10 like this.
  7. atasuke10

First Language:
    English
    So i followed this tutorial and it took the whole day xd but i learned a lot from it and also scrapped her old designed and made 

this instead: http://imgur.com/vu9yPCE

While it's not perfect by any means, it's a vast improvement from the previous one :)  

So thanks for that link it helped me a great deal! :D

That Bread likes this.
  8. Pine

Pine Biggest Tree in the Forest Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    It's interesting. But you're missing much of the shading in the coat. Are you planning to shade it inside or leave it as it is? I think you should add at least two tones more. Also, you need to add a little of shade in the forehead where the hair meets the rest of the face.

Shape wise it looks phenomenal, but it needs just a bit more polish.

9. morlockhater

morlockhater Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
  10. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    @morlockhater:

Really nice, I think it looks like her.

I'm working on some different sprites, using the Ace/VX sprites as a base as well as using a half-finished nude sprite base PandaMaru made.

I added a female version, the back of the sprite, a child version, a teenager, a heavy and an old version.

[​IMG]

I don't know what I can do with it further. Right now it is just for me since I don't know, if I can share it in the future (it being PandaMarus partial base).

11. Zak

Zak Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @morlockhater:

thank god you used the pilot outfit for here. That would've been my choice as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  12. Saltwater Croc

Saltwater Croc Voice Actor/Frelance Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Hylian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Very nice offerings, everyone. :)

Here is my version of the Ace RTP soldier.  (Modified to be my own)

My first time ever drawing armor. I don't know how much longer it will take me to get used to drawing; I hadn't drawn for over 8 years, so my latest attempts have been pretty gnarly and rusty (for those of you who've seen! :guffaw: )
    Something isn't right about those the shoulder on the right (his left) . I'm not very good at perspective yet but I do practice hard. :)

[​IMG]

13. Soach

Soach d(=^ω^=)b Member

First Language:
    German
    I had giving few advice to my friend who is creating some 16x16 pixel tiles, the 50% advice and tips on textures was given my by so I'd like to hear what you think! :)

[​IMG]

Also he accept some of my advice on sprites he pixel week back!

[​IMG]

14. DancingDrake

DancingDrake Random Lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Candacis

That is some very nice looking sprites. I really like the little girl as she has a very cute feel (rather than the very awkward look that most child sprites have). I also like how the boy near the end (in blue) looks chubby. It's nice to see sprites with a bit of meat on them now and then rather than everyone looking like they work out all the time (if that wasn't what you were going for no offence meant). I feel like this sort of sized sprite would work really well in a set like Pixel Myth. If you ever do get permission to share the sprites from PandaMaru I'm sure there would be others very interested in them (myself included :p ). Either way they are looking very nice at the moment. Can't wait to see what else you come up with :)

Candacis likes this.
  15. TheGreatEater

TheGreatEater Coding is my dump stat. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [shout out]Thanks to Ksjp17 for pointing out this thread [/shout out].

So I'm doing all custom art for my game (mostly for the challenge, as well as the learning experience.). So I got the males all done on Side Spike variant of hair, and it looks rather good and boyish. But I get to the females who're more rounded, and well comet like I keep butchering. Here's the first draft that doesn't make your eyes want to bleed, or utterly horrible [of course that could've been just my opinion, since I judge my works harshly.] 

SideSpike version one..png

[btw. Yes I'm kinda fixiated on getting it to look like this style, but that's mostly since it'll translate into numerous different sprites / angled animations. Both of which I run into similar problems with [fireball sprites, comets, and sprites were one angle switches to another]. So getting this done right, will help me in those areas as well.]

Edit:

Anywho, What's off about it? I cant seem to place my finger on it  / what could I do to make it less sucky? 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
  16. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The hair looks a bit flat to me.  Adding some shadows and maybe darkening the outline would really help it look more like hair.  I'm pretty tired right now, so hopefully this quick edit helps explain what I mean.  :)

[​IMG]

17. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Actually that image solves two of my biggest problems [there are 0 Sprite tutorials that I've seen on doing sprites that need alternating angles in them like you did with the hair.] I hope you don't mind, but I saved the edit so I can look at it as a model when doing the mane [so I can see how it looks when I need to fix my own hair]. Still, yes, I do need to add shadows as well. 

Oh! Do you know any tutorials that show how to pull off that type of hairstyle? I've searched google images, youtube, and google search but couldn't find anything XD. *goes to fix sprite, and post part two when I get it done tomorrow.*

Also thanks for your help, even with you being tired you  just helped me solve several animation problems I couldn't find out how to solve.

Edit:

SideSpike version one..png

Is that better?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  18. Dark Horseman

Dark Horseman NPC Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Iron Croc: I'm not an expert at art, but I've read/have been reading on how to get good fundamentals for beginners. The most important thing to help improve perspective is learning the basic anatomy, major muscle groups, and laying a fundamentally sound base. A lot of the advice mentions not trying to jump right into armor/clothes in order to see an immediate result and just draw nude or tight fitting clothes until you see major improvement. You can probably find a means of finding something like my favorite book for illustrating: http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Manga-Manga-Style-Composition/dp/4766117093 . It's definitely faster (in terms of improving) to read and watch tutorials instead of drawing over and over again on your own.

Been putting in overtime at work, so haven't had much time to draw. Here's my preliminary sketch for an emperor-type character. Armor is very undetailed atm and just a lazy outline, will refine and decorate it later. Dunno if he has enough personality (design-wise), but I also don't like making over-the-top clothes/armor too much - or I'm just not very good at pulling it off. If people can toss me some corrections or visual references, that'd be good.

[​IMG]

Ruby likes this.
  19. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So first draft of hair choices for MC's. I think I did a good job on picking proper color choices for them. Just fishing to see thoughts on how the colors compliment each other, for the audience before I ship them out to the person doing art for the MC's Busts. As for the Lower right hand corner female's hair being the suck. I agree, but as a place holder it'll work till I can port it to Blender and have better control over hair (rather then using the pencil and line tool in a small, non scalable character XD.]

Actor PC Audtest.png

20. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You should probably clean up those extra pixels in the outline first, they're looking a little too much like stairs at the moment.

One question.  Where are their tails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.