The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Been working on a few things for MV... since I don't have direct access to the palette or tiles yet they're stuck in progress because I won't be able to match the style until release.

anwllp1.png

WIP wallpaper. I like the drab colors because bright things make my eyes hurt when I work on them, and it gives it that kind of rustic look, but I will probably have to punch up the contrast and define the edges better to match the stock resources. It's supposed to be an abstract flower print but it looks like rocket ships 8D

doodads.png

WIP windows, doors, other decorative things. I may have to scale things down a little further, and yeah no style guide to refer to, so they're just pixel outlines for now. Plus I need to work on the door a bit more.

Even with the enlarged tile size curves can still be kind of tough.

RocketKnight, Nirwanda, Ruby and 3 others like this.
  2. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

I really love the wallpaper. (let me know if you ever share it!)
    And yes, curves are pretty tricky - your window templates look good! (curves included)

3. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    Thanks! I do plan on sharing at least some of my resources. I'm hoping to make enough that I can release them in sets or something. As far as tiles go, I'm starting out with art nouveau inspired sets because they work for both modern, fantasy, and historical themes (plus I just like the style), no idea what I would do after that.

I started building a character template as well, going for the tried-and-true 3 heads tall sprite (like Chrono Trigger, Half Kaizer etc). It matches up in size with the windows I posted earlier. Dunno how it will look with the default MV tiles. It has no arms though, yet.

tmplttst1.png

Celianna, Ruby, Banquo and 1 other person like this.
  4. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    yeah when i saw ff brave exvius today i thought those proportions also look very nice (considering a tall version for mv)

yours looking very good there.

i wonder if we ppl working on tall size templates should start a community project when mv is out to create a character editor like the standard one for easily making taller spritesets.

5. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    Well, if people need templates, I build sprite templates using primitive 3d bases and I finished the female one; with some tweaks I can make a male and child base out of it. I'm in the process of rigging to see how that goes.

The advantage is once you have animations/poses it's just a matter of rotating the model to get a new angle so 8 directions isn't much trouble. But it still takes time because everything has to be pixelled over manually.

shiningHatsya likes this.
  6. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    yeah i tried that too (animated 3d models) but rendering them right is hard with such low resolutions..

some try way back for ace[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2015
  7. Crazy_Leen

Crazy_Leen Secretly a Teddybear ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Woah, that looks pretty neato ö.ö

Looks also way more appealing to me than thsoe 3D sprites from high fantasy for example, that just look a tad /too/ realistic. Dunno always rubbed me the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm going to work on icons today!

Since the MV was released for the store-bought ones, I'm super hyped and wanna get them done as fast as possible!

This is the current state, but much more are going to be added. First I want a basic set,t hen I will add more things, like equipment from existing charcters and the like, since there are already a few weapons,e specially for sideview, in the maker!

[​IMG]

Sharm, GrandmaDeb and Ruby like this.
  8. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @Crazy_Leen best would be if they come  with fitting weapon sprites (see img/system folder) that would be cool

for my taller proportion (semi-)"automation" this is the best i could get for an around/under 30min workflow

before/after

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    it's not the best proportion to be satisfied with (head is still too big) but to me it is more appealing to work with that little bit bigger size than with the square chibis.

(it is just 8 px bigger)

cabfe likes this.
  9. Crazy_Leen

Crazy_Leen Secretly a Teddybear ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @himnd:
    Well one thing at a time. First the icons, then I can edit the weapons into usable ones ;3

The sprites generally look good, but there's a few little things that seemw eird.

Like the girl's dress. when the right arm (right direction), goes forward, and her right leg backwards, the skirt seems to kinda stay in place on the hips and then goes thinner towards the feet... you get what I mean? Whent he leg moves, it should make the bottom part of the dress go wider, at elast wider than the hip region, since the leg movement "stretches" or at least moves away the fabric. I'd also say that you space out the feet more.
    The thiny steps are ok for a tiny sprite, but making it taller also requires bigger steps in order to look alright. You can see that at the other step-pose, too, where the right leg should go forward, but it barely moves; as said, the steps seem too tiny.

I'd say at least..

10. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    i like those small steps like they are. but you're right i would have to make it at least animate faster in that case. those big steps like in rmxp for example are way too exaggerated for my taste.

gave some more love to the dress, also tried it on a nice looking "actor" (A3_7)

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Those icons are looking good, Leen ^^

I love big sprites, don't like the small chibi ones. About bigger sprites for MV, I have already made some templates for it, they are currently available for member+ and will be for normal ReStaff later on.

12. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    Yeah it's pretty tricky. I spent a long time trying to figure out the best way to go about doing it. My general recommendation is to turn off antialiasing when rendering to get a clean edge. And angles are tricky because well... general pixel art limitations. Rotating things at odd increments makes it hard to recognize details.

I finished rigging my base model :D I put it in a random awkward/impossible pose but I just want to try it out.

awk.png

The shadows and silhouette are a little rough but yeah, since I would never actually use this sprite I'm not going to bother ironing it out too much. It's basically a pose mannequin for sprites. I have to check and see if it's usable in MMD

13. Zheg

Zheg Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Hi, for now, ill be working on custom content for character generator
    this is my first content, an elder man, ill work with the rest later, this is just a taste what im gonna do

[​IMG]

also, i dont know how to change language to english, im from mexico xD

Candacis, hmind, Shaz and 3 others like this.
  14. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The current work around is to set your system's locale to United States English under the Administrative tab in Region and Language in Control Panel.  Also, nice work! :thumbsup-left: :thumbsup-right:

Zheg likes this.
  15. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow that's pretty awesome can't wait to see more!

Zheg likes this.
  16. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    i think that's an intelligent combination of 3d and pixel art for a good looking final results. keep on, i'm eager to see some more.

noctiluca likes this.
  17. Strategy Dojo

Strategy Dojo Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is Muy Excellente!

I can't wait to see what else you make your character generator do!

Zheg likes this.
  18. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    Made a Photoshop action that quickly blocks out shading for the sprites using gradient maps. Using the VX one now, but hopefully I'll come up with my own later.

generated.png

This is just a generated graphic with no manual editing aside from drawing on the eyes, well that and pasting them all onto the same canvas. The pose looks kinda icky from the side so I have to tweak it some more, but it looks decent from other angles at least. The reason the lighting looks inconsistent is because I rotated the camera and not the model itself. This is still just a test, after all.

It still needs manual touch-ups, but it cuts out a big portion of the work. I may have spent about 12 hours on the model so far, but making the graphic above took under 5 minutes. Once I make all the poses I want, I'll convert it to male and child body templates.

I haven't decided what I want to do for hairstyles and clothing yet. Whether I go with adding them on to the 3d or pixeling by hand, it sounds tedious. If I wasn't such a lazy (more like too busy) spriter I wouldn't have thought of this method in the first place lol. 3d would probably save more time in the long run, at least for basic things.

Once I can put together a full spritesheet I'll make a topic for it. I plan on making poses for idle, walking, running, and the (MV) default sideview battlers.

19. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    the more poses you have, the better it would be to make hair in 3d i guess. on the other hand, i tried that too and found everey piece of hair in 3d to be a lot of work and it also gave some problems with the sizing of the overall sprite. so i think best would be to make one simple animated dummy hair in 3d to have the accurate shading and do all sorts of different pixel hair with the information given by it.

so, very nice progress so far for what is doable in 5 minutes ;)

if you stay with that size it looks like you'd probably have to paint the arms and legs wider (it is probably the outline that takes away the volume..)

20. noctiluca

First Language:
    English
    I thickened the arms a bit but I kept the legs as-is because I like long, skinny legs >.>

If there's enough demand for it I may make a thicker legs version but thin legs is what I would personally use. Unless I was making a muscly beefcake base... hmm...

I actually have a usable, albeit rough model now. I didn't make the walk animation with the 1-2-3-1 pattern in mind so it looks slightly awkward. Proportions-wise, it actually looks OK or even good next to most of the stock tileset objects.

$noctiluca_template.png

I changed the eyes to 2px wide because it reminds me of Star Ocean 2 and my favorite game, Xenogears :)

Some of the other unorganized sprites I put out:

spritedump.png

8 directional walking sprites and a couple idle poses.

I made animations for all the SV battle poses as well, but it's too late at night for me to render them today. I think the SV sprites are going to need a lot of editing to look good; only 3 frames to work with is limiting.

RocketKnight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.