The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Please do, that looks really great!  I didn't think PS supported multi-color brushes.

2. nightwalker

nightwalker Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Actually I create a pattern fill, then I add a complete black mask and start painting with the brush I want in it. Almost the same effect as a multicolor brush.

Ps: I use a bit of layer effects like inner and drop shadows too.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
  3. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @nightwalker: Those brushes look quite nice. So you're painting on a mask? That's actually quite a good idea. : D

___

I would like some feedback on this:

[​IMG]

Two plants, as in-game screenshot to see what it looks like in front of RMMV's grass tiles.

While the plant-on-stick (without the leaves) has been painted some days ago, I did the leaves and the hanging-sausages-plant today. Was inspired by this plant, and this one after Ms Littlefish mentioned the name of the plant-on-sticks and I looked it up.

Does it look okay? Does it fit with the RMMV style? I mostly colour-picked the greens from a tile on Outside B, so I hope at least the colours are good.

I'm also at my wit's end when it comes to the shadows. Advice would be super appreciated. I've been staring at those for about four hours today and another set of eyes or two would be very helpful.

If I sound weird it's because spending so many hours drawing causes my other brain half to go into stand-by – at least it feels like it does.

GrandmaDeb, KanaX and Ms Littlefish like this.
  4. Ms Littlefish

Ms Littlefish Dangerously Caffeinated Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I can't really comment much on the technical aspect of the tile, but I'll pull out my botanist street cred and say that the anatomy of the plants are pretty well captured in them.   :wub:  

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2015
    GrandmaDeb and Chiara like this.
  5. nightwalker

nightwalker Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I think the forms are very nice but the outline is too dark in comparison to MV RTP style.

6. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I actually think the plants look fine as-is but they also look very tropical, so I would just be judicious of what kind of maps you use them in. Islands, jungles, lush places like that (or even as a house plant) instead of meadows and forests.

7. BurningRag3

BurningRag3 Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hi guys

I've decided to try to make a MV version of a "mack" sprite, here the prototype.

[​IMG]

I don't know which one I should go with but the one the left has abit more muscles then the other two. The one in the middle is average, and the one on the right is slim as i can get.

You have my permission to "improve" and use it. (even finish it if you want)

8. Kim_Shyuen

Kim_Shyuen DAYDREAMER乁( ◔ ౪◔)「 Veteran

First Language:
    Chinese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I drew this before, please gave some advice :guffaw:

[​IMG]

9. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Maybe you could accentuate the eyebrow's position to give more depth to the different emotions. At first glance, I thought there were duplicates.

10. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

So there's obviously a desire to port VXA graphics over to MV based on what I'm seeing from Tileset submissions. But what about sprites?

Well we've all tried, and obviously scaling pixel art by 1.5x makes for some pretty nasty graphics. So after trying several different scaling algorithms and resizing methods, I've come up with this...

VXAActor1.png

Above is the RTP Actor 1 sprite sheet scaled to fit the 48x48 requirement of MV.

Here's how it looks in-game. Next to the MV RTP sprite.

ScreenSnip.png

Now, upon closer inspection...

ScreenSnip2.png

We have this. Personally, I kinda like the look. The colors don't appear out of control, there isn't a very pronounced blur, and there doesn't seem to be any stretched pixels.

The only real issue I have is the slight blur/anti-aliasing along the edges of the sprites. Also, the symmetry of the sprites (left half of sprite not mirroring right half). But that's fixable with some touch-ups.

Consider this a rough draft for now. I would like some feedback on this to see what you guys think. Usable, or no?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
  11. Silent Darkness

Silent Darkness Robomage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Do your touch-ups, then do this with all the actor spritesheets. Looks real good.

12. Neo Soul Gamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm definitely considering it. If not, then the least I can do is provide the steps taken to get this effect.

I was googling some VXA resources yesterday and was blown away by the amount of quality RTP style resources that people made. The poses, the battlers, the busts, etc. Some really great stuff out there that I think can really help add some polish and graphical consistency to a game. Sadly, most of those resources stem from existing sprites. So making some good ports of sprites can have a good domino effect, you know?

13. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    I have VX Ace. I think if you were to provide the exact steps, I could help fill out the RTP.

jonthefox likes this.
  14. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

This certainly looks better than when I tried scaling them in GIMP.  I look forward to seeing how this develops, cause yeah, there were just so many really great VXA sprites that to me are such a shame to have go to waste.

15. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    Has Waifu2x been tried?

EDIT: Okay, I think I figured out the easiest way.

Use Waifu2x with x1.6 scaling, then open up GIMP, and resize the image down to 576x384. The image only goes straight down the toilet if you use GIMP to upsize, not downsize.

16. Neo Soul Gamer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It becomes a matter of personal preference at this point. Waifu is great in general, but when it comes to pixel art, I find it smooths things out a little too much and adds a lot of colors to what would otherwise be a fairly small palette. I don't mind a little smoothing, especially considering how the detailed the MV RTP is. But finding that balance between sharping and smoothing is tough.

Then there's the matter of that outer edge of the sprites. Too many touch-ups to be done afterward. Waifu2x would be better used for Facesets, IMO.

17. Silent Darkness

First Language:
    English
    We'll see. It's possible that toning down the noise reduction might get you what you want.

As soon as I finish doing all of these, i'm going to test it out a bit, see about this outer edge thing you're talking about.

18. Amysaurus

Amysaurus Digital Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I agree about the eyebrows - I would also suggest tweaking their eyes as well. Tilt them down a bit for sadness, etc. 

I'm just working on some tiles in my down time. 

[​IMG]

RocketKnight, Banquo, Sharm and 2 others like this.
  19. Chiara

Chiara Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Ms Littlefish: Aww, thank you.
    @nightwalker: Thanks, I'll try playing around with the outline value then. :)
    @noctiluca: Thanks, and this was what I was going for, so I'm happy they read as tropical.
    __
    @Kim_Shyuen18: Looks like a shy/reserved person to me. I second (third?) what has been said about the eyebrows and eyes. Not too much if shy/reserved was what you were going for, though, I'd say.

@Amysaurus: Those are incredibly cute plants. Only one thing: The berries in the shadow part of the bushes look like they're the same colour/value as the ones on the light plane. It's especially noticeable with the red berries.

20. shiningHatsya

shiningHatsya Villager Member

First Language:
    Filipino
    Working on a science-fantasy RPG Maker MV protagonist sprite, influenced by Suikoden 2. (Upscaled 200%)

[​IMG]

RocketKnight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.