The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omega Weapon

Omega Weapon AKA Laura Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So I made a thing.

Still working on trees, because reasons.

[​IMG]

2. TheGreatEater

TheGreatEater Coding is my dump stat. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @ Sharm, The tails come later. Since if I decide I want to give X actor [for a particular race] clothing, It'd be less of a hassle to not have to work around something I don't have to (unless I think having a tail hole would be appropriate in that particular outfit.]. Well work around within reason. I'll probably tack some on before sending them to the artists who'se doing busts and making an expression map (a series of expressions that show what emotions look like.) 

All of the hair? Or just the female in the lower left hand corner? Yeah I talked to the artist before hand [who'll be doing the images] and told him that that particular group of styles I can't Sprite, and I gave him names of things he knows about as well as mane style on the pic. So when he sees it he'll know exactly what I'm going for ^_^. but yeah, I can try lessening a few of the extra pixels. 

[Color wise though. Is it a good color choice for their coat / eye colors?] 

[Anywho most of the Lower Left's hair was one pixel long. Got rid of a few extra ones, and a line that was was a bit bulgy, don't know if it made a difference or not. Also found and removed some extra un-needed pixels in upper left.]. Added tails just  because the Artist would see them incase he needed them. Other than Lower Left. I pretty much said buck it, to much hair to show the tail in the rear for a Sprite.]

Here's the touched up Sprites. 

Actor PC Audtest.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2015
  3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The combos are fine.  Some of the colors aren't contrasted very well though, like the ones that are used for the details in the hair.

4. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Sharm, I agree with the hair contrast bits [well the "darker bits used to show parts / lines"] but I'm mostly using those as placemarkers till I move it to Blender (which honestly will be starting today. Since after the MC's Sprites go to the artist. I won't need them. And will be done with the Equine Bases.]. That way I have a rough estimate of where to place a part, or where major hair lines are. [both for a reference for me, and for the bust artist when I say. X hair style is like X's in the show.]. 

My biggest worry was that while it looked good to me. The color combo would be not as attractive to others [who'd be using them as the main Player Character], so before I dedicated myself to them I though I'd get a less biased eye looking at them. Anywho. I'll send up the busts when the artist finishes them (what is the appropriate place for that btw?). 

5. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, got it.  That wasn't very clear, so I thought you were going to be actually using these sprites.  Well then, I think the blue pony should have a warmer yellow, the green pony should have a grayer and bluer turquoise and currently the two girls clash with each other's color scheme.  It's fine if you want them to be NPC's but since they're in the same party they should be harmonious.  There are two many pinks.  I think you should have one with pink hair and do something a little different with the other one.  Which one doesn't matter, but I rather like the grey pony's.  The streaks in the white pony's mane are too similar I'd go for a more distinct color difference.

6. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, awesome. As for the girls, can do, although the MC only gets to choose one of the four to play as. Would that make the difference? Since only one would be in the party per play through? Or would it still be to disharmonious? 

7. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If it's only one then you should definitely change one.  Not all girls like pink.

8. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    XD. Hmmm ...

You said the grey one looked good. 

What about the white one either having: Purple and Red [Fuschia and Auburn / Crimson], Cerise and Aqua, or Two Toned Purple [different degrees of darkness]? 

9. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    They all sound like they'd be too close to each other on the color wheel to me.  Why don't you just try a few and pick the ones you like best?

10. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ks. Honestly I usually go with Analogous Color schemes. But I can go with Complimentary as well. I'll look into that [don't know why, but for the white MC, I'm liking Violets [Primary] and Reds [secondary].  I'll look at the color wheel and might go with a Tritone rather than a Bi Tone for her.] 

11. Sharm

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah, I think you're misunderstanding me a little.  Just because I think it's to close doesn't mean I think it needs to be the complete opposite spectrum of complementary.  I was just thinking more cherry and violet and not something so close as fushia and crimson, you know?  The way you had the colors before they were so visually similar that they may as well have not been different colors.

12. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    They look visually similar to other people? [i didn't know that [to me they look completely different.].

Actually ended up using a color wheel to get a split complimentary, before I saw this. But now I get you. I'll be looking into that for future races / designs. [Actually sent the artist a new color scheme based on http://www.tigercolor.com/color-lab/color-theory/color-harmonies.htm and http://www.biotele.com/magenta.html for inspiration. Before I checked this post.] 

Next up is the Mareian Races and Zebras. Then I'll finally be done with the Equines, and can move onto the Avian races. 

Thank you for your help Sharm ^_^.

13. Quigon

Quigon electric boogaloo Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Making my own graphics for the first time! I'm learning a lot just by making them as I go, but any pointers would be awesome (and if someone could tell me how to make that green carpet look not like grass then that'd be great! I'm happy I have a grass top though!) I'm aiming for a Castlevania kinda feel, as it's for a sidescrolly platformer game. I'm not really sold on the gaudy walls yet, but these are for the portrait/trophy hall of a big castle, if that's any more help.

I was a little lazy on the windows on the top left and kinda just flipped/copy pasta-d a lot, so I imagine they need a lot more work. They look nice on the walls though! My favourite is the painting~

[​IMG]

better reference of what everything looks like together

[​IMG]

everything is kinda tiny right now so I dunno whether or not to blow it up or not. Figure I'll make up my mind on that when I get to actually putting stuff together.

14. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The only thing I can really say is that the moon looks green. Looked up pictures of Castlevania moon on google to see if they have green moons. But their's look pretty normal. I'd go with a light grey blue (with darker splotches for craters), or a pale yellow with (with grey blotches) mimicing the normal moon colors (both choices you can't really go wrong with). 

And I'd make the darker bits less blocky. [although if the moon is meant to look green, that'd be cool. I'd still make the craters less blocky [too much dark space, all melded together, when the eclipse part hits it gives it a blocky / really thick look to it.] 

But the walls, floors, and pillars look pretty decent. 

That's my opinion at least. 

15. Shiroi Akuma

Shiroi Akuma Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I drew a faceset:

[​IMG]

Are there more important emotions which I were not aware about? I mean is there an important emotion, which I missed? Also critique would be fine :)

Is there anything wrong? Actually I see that there is something wrong with the highlight on her neck, but just on my small monitor, on my big one it looks fine, so it might depends on the monitor settings. :o

arcthemonkey, Dreadshadow and Dymdez like this.
  16. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Quigon

Is there going to be even a tiny suggestion of light outside those windows?  At the moment, because it's a solid block of colour, they look like they give a view into a void, rather than to an external world.  Maybe a hint of lightness down the right side to suggest light falling in the usual way might help.

@Shoroi Akuma

Does she never smile?

Shiroi Akuma likes this.
  17. Shiroi Akuma

Shiroi Akuma Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I did Smile and 3 other emotions as well, also I changed the neck tendon highlight in this one, does it look better?

[​IMG]

However i can't remember that she smiled much in the Anime. I think I will rewatch the anime and study her expressions more. 

Dreadshadow and Dymdez like this.
  18. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm not an expert in the anime style, so I can't comment on the highlight issue.  But it does occur to me that just because she didn't smile much in the anime doesn't mean that she automatically doesn't smile much in your game.  This is your game, you don't have to follow the original slavishly, and indeed, it might be better to develop points of difference.  But perhaps that's against the anime genre?  Just a thought, and not for discussion here, as that would derail the thread.

19. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I made a bed the other day and I just rolled with it. This is the first sheet of a few that I plan to make, whose general theme is "Victorian Era".

[​IMG]

They are all drawn for Mack-sized characters, as I find the VX/VXAce 32x32 characters yucky.

And I'm not good enough to make details in such small dimensions

I'll not even touch the idea of external graphics, since I have almost zero experience with them. Instead I'll focus on making at least one more sheet with furniture/objects, one tile with floors, walls and generally structure based material and perhaps even one sheet with some characters, dressed in the time's respective fashion.

I would like to receive some feedback/evaluation regarding the quality of the graphics and perhaps, commends on whether or not they are worth capitalizing upon.

Thank you for your time.

Some credit goes to Celianna whose style I basically ripped off, after multiple long-hour sessions of thinking "How the heck does she do that?"

20. TheGreatEater

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @ KanaX, Pretty.

Prototype. V.1 Dun'Mare [Player Character version] Front View:

Male Heavy Front.png

Dark Elf Ponies, coats will end up coming in night / twilight motifs [blues, Purples, Whites, and Silvers]. 

All Mareian races have that shiruken / nebulous spiral for  pupils surrounding a slitted pupil.  With the Dun'Mare having an orb around theirs as a secondary accent. And Eld'Mare [will work on next] will have a sunburst like motif [signifying the sun]. 

Ears are Antenna like, with a cartilaginous spike at the end. Allows them to channel magic much like a unicorn but through each ear's spike rather than a horn in the forehead. Allows for much more dexterous and precise spell casting. And unlike a Unicorn's horn which grows back at a glacial pace [even with healers on site], ear spikes grow back much faster [if albeit much more painfully]. 

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.