Status
Not open for further replies.

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thinking about taking my cartoony RPG tileset in a slightly different direction art-wise. Here's a tree I made, and I'm super happy with it :o

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/RMMV/Tree.png[/IMG]

Shadow might need some re-working, I think it doesn't quite match the perspective of the tree? There's some empty pixels at the top of the image so I'll probably shift the whole tree up and widen the shadow vertically. Shouldn't be too hard.

Still using the DB32 color palette - pretty freakin' good palette honestly.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I love that palette too.  I agree, you should widen out the shadow.  It's looking good.  I think you might want to try changing the shape of the edges between colors in the canopy a little, use it to imply the shape of the leaves.  You've done a good job implying bark and grass texture using the same method, so the canopy looks a little left out.

OneManArmy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I have just starting with editing tilesets and I am trying to make water autotile I think it looks little bit messy and heavy but I do not know how to improve it.

OKgIH2t.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Looks overly squared off but still very nice.  Can you show it in a map?  It's easier to see what's wrong and what's working when it's with other tiles.

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
WARNING: This is very WIP-y.

Character concepts for a new project I've started working on:

Steam-Bjorn:

c1_by_mullemeck1337-d9jr2s2.png

Steam-Bjorn's Brother:

thorbjoern_by_mullemeck1337-d9jr2v9.png

Pierre, the Bossy Goat:

pier_by_mullemeck1337-d9jr2u9.png

Bathroom Scene:

c2_by_mullemeck1337-d9jr2s9.png

These are just rough outlines my artist did. We mostly just got together and did for the sake of getting started. And yes, the game will be that trippy just from the looks of the art. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, I went on GIMP a few minutes ago and tried to make a sprite totally from scratch with no knowledge on how to sprite whatsoever.

For my first try, I think I did OK. It's 32x32, and I forgot the general size for a single icon. It's just some fancy version of a Cutlass I made up. Do you guys think it would be good for an iconset? From here it looks like I could start making Icons...

352r6tw.jpg

KillaMaaki

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I took the liberty of doing a few color tests with your sprite.

One thing is that the shape of it is a little vague. For example, there were a few stray pixels which I couldn't tell if they were intentionally part of the shape, or just stray pixels.

Shape aside, the coloring and shading could use work. The shading comes off as a simple gradient, which makes the blade and handguard come off as much rounder than they should be. Also, the blade and handguard don't really look like metal - metal is shiny, reflecting its environment. Simplified cartoon metal will generally have obvious shines (both the primary specular highlight, and secondary shines).

Also, lighting should have subtle hue variation - usually, this is bluer/cooler colors in dark areas and warmer/yellower colors in light areas.

Here's some little quick tests I threw together with the basic sprite shape (all the same colors but with different outline style variations). They aren't perfect (I just did them really quick in a few minutes), but should help show some of what I'm talking about.

[IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/RMMV/RedEye_Sword_Mod_1.png[/IMG][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/RMMV/RedEye_Sword_Mod_2.png[/IMG][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/99106620/RMMV/RedEye_Sword_Mod_3.png[/IMG]

I also wanted to point out something about the blade in particular - the highlight shapes partially extend along and follow the interior edge of the blade. The combination of solid areas of color with the highlight shapes and slight highlight of that edge I think can help make the edge and shape more obvious. Also note the backlight at the bottom of the handle - I think I could have done this better actually, but still helps sell the metallic look, I think.

EDIT: Also don't forget to keep your light source in mind, and use cast shadows to show depth (for example, the shadow cast from the handguard onto the handle)

Redeye

Chronicles Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I took the liberty of doing a few color tests with your sprite.

One thing is that the shape of it is a little vague. For example, there were a few stray pixels which I couldn't tell if they were intentionally part of the shape, or just stray pixels.

Shape aside, the coloring and shading could use work. The shading comes off as a simple gradient, which makes the blade and handguard come off as much rounder than they should be. Also, the blade and handguard don't really look like metal - metal is shiny, reflecting its environment. Simplified cartoon metal will generally have obvious shines (both the primary specular highlight, and secondary shines).

Also, lighting should have subtle hue variation - usually, this is bluer/cooler colors in dark areas and warmer/yellower colors in light areas.

Here's some little quick tests I threw together with the basic sprite shape (all the same colors but with different outline style variations). They aren't perfect (I just did them really quick in a few minutes), but should help show some of what I'm talking about.

RedEye_Sword_Mod_1.png
RedEye_Sword_Mod_2.png
RedEye_Sword_Mod_3.png

I also wanted to point out something about the blade in particular - the highlight shapes partially extend along and follow the interior edge of the blade. The combination of solid areas of color with the highlight shapes and slight highlight of that edge I think can help make the edge and shape more obvious. Also note the backlight at the bottom of the handle - I think I could have done this better actually, but still helps sell the metallic look, I think.

EDIT: Also don't forget to keep your light source in mind, and use cast shadows to show depth (for example, the shadow cast from the handguard onto the handle)
I'm not exactly too sure how to make decent metal sheens too well. All I could improve on is making the sword a little bit lighter. I made another one a while ago, and changed it up a little to make it look a little more shiny.

2yltdug.png
 I also made this new one 24x24 to fit in an iconset.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
May I ask why you quote a complete post without shortening it, which is directly over your post and on the same page? D:

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Redeye

I have a few suggestions about the shape of the sword and the hilt. You mentioned you were going for a cutlass. Fancy or not, most of the cutlasses I've seen (games, movies etc.) have a distinguishing feature. The hilt has a sort of curved guard attached to it. As for the blade itself, it's usually, straight or very slightly curved, and is thinner than the one you have in your icon. It's the same in the second version of your sword, although that looks more like a scimitar.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
It is always hard to do things from the side in RPGMaker. But I got the idea and I like it!

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ Erik

Very pretty roof colors! However, shouldn't the third level also leave a little bit of roof space at the bottom like the second level? It looks a bit odd as it is. And I agree with marquise; I think a front facing porch would look nicer, but it's up to you :3

Valkyriet

Pocket Panda
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
His head just looks slightly bigger compared to his torso >.< But I'm guessing that's not your final design so it's okay. He looks great otherwise. Are you planning to put full-fledged pants on him? XD

Luiishu535

Coffee Machine Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Yeah, it's pretty big, but thankfully it's still early WIP material. I'll have a discuss with my graphic designer about it. The portraits of the game will only cover the upper body, kind of like this:

c1_by_mullemeck1337-d9jr2s2.png

zerobeat032

Oh, it's that Zerobeat kid...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Icons.PNG

just got back to doing my own sprites and this is what i came up with so far. I got really inspired to make my own battlers for MV after seeing Vibrato's. 

Still learning though. I've made my idle stance animations. His hair moves and the scarf. I wasn't sure how else to animate though with just 3 frames lol. Was wondering if I should make a more dynamic pose, or if anyone had suggestions? I'm TOTALLY open to them seeing as I don't have a clue what I'm doing lol.

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
the pants folds on the left side look a tad lumpy, besides that looks good.  If you post the animation people can give you better tips on animations though.  You have some jaggy pixels that stick out in places, and your lighting isn't consistent.  But all in all it's a pretty good job.  I'd start by working on where your light source is, most RM uses top or top left

cosmickitty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Erik Holand the walls should maybe be higher up on the roof below like the second story, either that or make it all one building it just has roof edges which seems a tad odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...
"I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoWarning