Status
Not open for further replies.

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Archeia quick question where is the weight tool for paint tool sai? I cannot seem to find it.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
HtZ08VS.png

As long as your layer is a vector layer you should see it in the tools section.

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Shiroi Thank you! :D

All done! I caught on pretty fast on how to use it with your advice! It's very flexible and handy I am glad I bought sai.

As well as these two I decided to line up another one. With mock up color for now.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/NXxJUyS.png[/IMG]
Here's the first one it's his original hair

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7o3edG5.png[/IMG]

and the other is trying to follow your example well your first Archeia

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Q997ofd.png[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:

Shinju Fortuna

RPG Artist
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shinju Fortuna 

First excuse my bad English, I hope I don't sound too harsh. 

Esere: The first bust and facesets, it feels like she is sitting in car or something that accelerates very fast. Her post where she is pointing at something her right hand seems rather small. Even her arms looks rather thin, but that part might be some sort of style, I don't know, well if I would redraw one of your characters I would make it different, also they would be more in my style and I don't think if this would help you. Her feet kind look like a rectangle shape. Her fingers, the way they are clenched, it doesn't fits to the pose or at least her right hand it looks uptight. 

Fortuna: An eye from the profile is never as long as an eye from the front. It needs to be a bit shorter. I miss also her ear. Also the eyebrow they are sitting on the forehead you left a to big gap there. Difficult to explain.

[IMG]http://orig15.deviantart.net/e122/f/2016/001/2/e/profile_view_by_shiroiakumasama-d9maoem.png[/IMG]
Lux: Is it possible that you use black color for his shadows and just change the opacity of the layer? Those grey shadows on an colored picture make an illustration more lifeless. Also his eyes seems to be too narrow. This might be because you gave him rather big eyes and might squeezed them into his head. 

Overall: I miss the ears on most of the illustrations. Esere where she is falling for example.

Would do more but I don't know where I should start, and where I should stop, now is lunch time.  

@ Shiroi Akuma- Thank you! There was always something I didn't like about how I drew this particular one, you pointed out the things that were bothering me that I couldn't see. :)

The thin arms and small hands is a preference from the person I'm working on the game with. It's not my favorite style to draw, but I still have to perfect it, so thank you again. ^_^ I'll do your recommendations and see how it turns out. I'll definitely post it here when it's done.

I didn't realize I wasn't drawing ears. x_x I guess I tend to avoid drawing them for some reason. I'll definitely put them in. As for Lux's eyes, it's a character that my co-partner wanted to make so I drew it how he wanted it. I'll try to make the eyes thinner and keep his preferences. I'll post that here when it's done too.

You can never go too far with critique. I always appreciate good critique.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@McSundae I love the crates/boxes!! Also the signs look incredible! Same with the two-high rock!!

This is such a cool tileset!

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
That feeling when you make a bunch of tiles and then realize the scale is all off D: noooooooo

I made them like 16x16 or 32x32 scale not realizing that 48x48 need more detailed patterning or else they look really weird.

At least I caught the mistake when it was still in rough draft form. I would hate to realize there's a problem after cleanup and adding borders.

ground tiles.png

and in the editor...

Map001.png

Also noticed how low-constrast they are compared to the default MV tiles, but my eyes are very sensitive and some of MV's ground tiles have so many details they hurt to look at IMO, so I think that's more of a preference thing.

Hopefully it won't take too long to redo these. If I shrink the pattern size, I have to be even more careful about the contrast (my eyes....)

testsquare.png

^ a visual style like this is the goal. Like a digital painting but with tiles, so more of a soft look than pixel art. At the 48x48 scale, it's a lot faster to just paint than draw exact pixels.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Not to much to show, but finished idles.

BFSQkIo.png

@noctiluca: What you're after is a painted effect, which is hard to redo when creating tiles unless you paint them then just slice it up. 

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
They took about 5 minutes to make (each), making the brushes to paint them with actually took the most time, so redoing shouldn't take too long.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cornered cosmos, I think I should've said this earlier but it slipped my mind. Make sure to draw at least 30-50% bigger than the original size. This way you're liberal to make mistakes as they get hidden as downscaled. if you could do this that'd be great~

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Fixed the problem with my tiles! :D (though I still have to recreate all the stone path ones and so on)

Capture.png

Still have to correct a few rogue pixels here and there, and adjust some of the brightness/contrast of the sand, but it's much more in line with what I was going for-- a more muted/serene, "serious"-looking tileset style. Now the character sprites stand out beautifully AND I can see what texture the tiles are supposed to be. I had to spend hours last night sorting and tweaking all the brushes I made though... orz.

I added one of the harshest default tiles for comparison (so bright >.> you can really see the difference).

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Archeia all done!

@Rukiri thats a very nice sprite!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OvC0rCJ.png[/IMG]

That Bread

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Oh oops....yeah it does...

Problem already fixed : D!!!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/OpnFO1O.png[/IMG]

Dainiri.Art

Broken Tablet Mastery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I been creating skill icons but I don't know what people like better, a monotone or a colorful one xD

here is one example of a 32x32 and 64x64.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vW9OScX.png[/IMG]

Also what is the best size for a larger icon? 64x64 or 48x48?

Dainiri.Art

Broken Tablet Mastery
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I really like your DBZ sprites they look authentic. Very well made and extremely recognizable. 10/10!

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I been creating skill icons but I don't know what people like better, a monotone or a colorful one xD

Also what is the best size for a larger icon? 64x64 or 48x48?
First of, your icons look AWESOME!

Second, I like colourful but its even better if theres 2-12 colours for each, just to give variation but personally I can do that, so I like having one nice bright colour!

For a large icon, 48x48 should suffice, I mean it really depends on the detail, since usually 64x64 is more work, but it really depends on your preference!

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Rukiri: I would really love to see those DBZ Sprites in a game, i just hope you don't get into any trouble regarding licenses and stuff :D

@Dairini.Art: Pretty stuff, for a game i would prefer them monotone, for sharing i would prefer the more colorized version so everyone can do better edits, its easy to make it monotone but not the other way ;-)

I also made alot progress with my tileset, i had to redo all smaller stones and finally finished an nice looking cliff tiles ;D

Still not the best map, since there is no life in it and it has no effects yet.

I also redid the tree stamp from the last version.

Tiles left are water, windows and other house specific stuff, i'm also not happy with the current tiles regarding the houses. Only nice thing about the houses is the door yet, what do you guys think?

screen-custom-set-4.jpg

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
SSJ Goku Wip

IWVYseU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

What the writer wrote: "The curtain is blue."
The readers: "There must be a hidden meaning behind this, perhaps to convey the character emotions ...".
What the writer has in mind: "The curtain is frickin' blue".
Time to share something!
hmZFwQe.png

I made these a while ago for my game. I took reference from various huts in Africa.
Have a great night! :D
I really need to buy a new mouse. Mine's keeps double-clicking and makes me waste A LOT of time eventing
How come there's no spooktober game jam? I thought horror maker games were some of the most popular genre out there...
"I didn't know X song was about that!" Uh... why? Do you not listen to the lyrics? I mean, I guess that makes sense. We live in a world where nobody listens, but everyone wants to be heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Florian973