terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Here I am again

I'm trying to make custom stuff and the hard part is making repeatable tiles (ex grass)

How does it look :)  

4hHRXHr.png

@gendfleur I like your soft coloring of the lineart. And the shading is very clean. It looks very nice.

@Zanshoo Thanks for the advice! It's really helpful :)  I see what you mean I feel dumb for not thinking of that before haha

At the very least my art style is solidifying. . . that's important, right :p  

EDIT:

Made a tree, but it's hard to differentiate it from the grass. i added an outline, but I don't know if it looks better with (A) or without (B)

bFAQcle.png

I also tried to lower the saturation of the grass, but I'm scared it'll give it that washed out XP look 

pkOvR3W.png

At some point I'm going to have to stop asking for critiques and changing things. It's hindering progress. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Prodigy 1216

Prodigious Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malanglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
@terrorchan The outline looks great on the trunk but the leaves are a bit weird

I've done a portrait by pencil drawing but the size is too big an do you guys know how I can crop his head to 96x96 size?

kajji_potrait_by_prodigykajji1216-d9v6ptf.png

McSundae

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@terrorchan I think you should try to tone down the darker green on the grass :D  It kinda pops out like that and that makes the repeatable tile look repeated - i wonder if you understand what i mean, i didnt really knew how to write it ;)  You could also again contact me over skype :D

Stridah

The People's Champion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ terror i wouldn't use a black border around the whole thing, use a slightly darker shade and put some dots on the outside to give it an outline-ish look...Also change the shade slightly so it is not exact with the grass.  The trunk is blended nicely and i like the grass, the leaves need an overhaul though.  

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX a tip on the trees: bigger bushes of leaves should be at the top, not at the bottom. Trees are mostly shaped like a balloon; most of the leaves are at the top trying to get some sunlight, and there's less near the trunk. So it looks odd when you've got a huge amount of leaves at the bottom of your tree :)

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, guys, I tried to incorporate everyone's criticism into one thing. I like it more, but I'm not sure you guys will >.< 

I like the tree, but now I don't like the grass that much. AHH

i7rdL04.png

if you'd like to see my first attempts at tile art, here is some of my stuff from a few years ago. I haven't worked on it since then, so there isn't much improvement, I'm afraid :(  But I'll have to move on with development soon, so I can't worry about it too much. 

cjFsIq5.png

oh it's so minty of a green

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To everyone making trees:  Remember, unless you're making a side scroller the view is top down, not side view!  The roots will be in an oval, not a fan, and you'll mostly be seeing the top of the tree.

@Omega Weapon  Oh, dramatic!  However his proportions are all over the place.  Going by the torso for proportion (since head size varies by style), his arms seem about as big and long as legs and his legs are about as long as arms.  A reference of someone practicing a martial art would be a good way to find someone in a similar pose, so you could at least get a vague idea of how it should look.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
rBGv6FG.png
Ballooni-fied and topbrushi-fied. I started doing edits, but I think it would be better to start fresh. Should I continue like this with the rest?

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! This is my first forum post ever. And also my first attempt at an RPGmaker game ever. And I have no idea how I'm doing, so I came here looking for feedback. Here's a screen of some of the stuff I've already made...

ScreenShot.png

I really wanted a colorful pixel art look - think Hyper Light Drifter. But I feel like it's a little... plain. I also wanted to add an outline around the player so they pop a little more but I can't figure out how to do it without it looking really cartoony.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Pyromantic

On the lower right, the cabinet and the box are from a different perspective than the other establishment. The vanishing points are completely different, as well as the carton under the desk on the lower left. Then I see lighting issues. The cabinet is bright on its left side while the carton on the left is dark on the left side. ven thought the light is coming from the right middle as I can see due to the light ray. On the other hand the light of the box is falling in the wrong direction it looks like the carton on the middle left, that the shadow fall in the direction where the light is coming from. 

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm D'oh. Really. I'm really becoming blind for those things... The stickman was kind of in proportion... Might ask my boyfriend if he can take on the pose while I'm sketching. He was supposed to feel powerful, but yes. I really f*ed up the proportions. And maybe, remember to work with the screen on a 90 degree angle from my  point of vision... And then I found out where I did go wrong: the perspective on the legs. That's why he was correct as a stickman. The moment I started to add bulk to the legs, especially the front leg, suddenly perspective messed up.

EDIT:

Fixed the legs, I hope.

EvilMage.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It is better, but the legs weren't actually the only problem.  The hands are too big compared to the face, the arms are still big when compared to the legs (they're nearly equal in size now) and that is an unbalanced stance.  I think there are two causes to the proportion problem.  One, you're doing it by instinct, not knowledge.  Instinct is fine, but it's really helpful to know exactly how things compare to each other so you can double check.  Two, you added the clothing too soon.  The clothes, especially big flowy clothes like that, distract from the true form and make it difficult to see what's really going on.  There's a reason why life drawing classes draw people nude.  If you get the foundation right the structure will be solid.

I think you should take that picture.  I think even if you just tried standing in that pose yourself you'd learn some things from just by how it felt.

@Pyromantic  Very nice.  If outlines aren't working for you, try some other way to make the sprite different.  Use bolder colors, heighten the contrast, or anything else you can think of that you'll do just on the sprites and nowhere else.  Have you tried colored outlines?

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@terrorchan Thank you!

@Shiroi Akuma

Thanks for the input! I tweaked the perspective on the bookcase to match the other boxes and changed the lighting around. 

@Sharm

I tried colored outlines before and they sort of look like the character's wrapped in plastic.  :|  I think my issue is that I'm trying to make the sprite match the map. The normal sprite for the player character stands out pretty well, but because the lighting and color palette are so specific for this map I feel like it looks out of place - everything's purple and shadow and there's the player character in a bright green sweater looking like it's full daylight. So i've been trying to tint the sprite to make it fit in, but it blends in a little too well. 

Heightening the contrast seemed to help it a bit, though. I can try playing around with that. Thanks!

TarebearGames

Aspiring Game Maker!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So here is progress! This is your starting area! It's the Orphanage! You actually start in the orphanage when someone spilt milk so you have to go and get milk from a neighbor or whatever.

Just needed some feedback! First parallax map WAHHHHHH Im so excited!

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 4.04.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-03-20 at 1.10.45 PM.png

NarikoStudios

Lover of Catgirls
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey I tried to make like a Rapid punch effect with lightning fists

so like she punches the one but then she's so fast that she rapidly punches again another 5 times but you don't see her move as she's so fast it was magic that is seen as her fists

tried to do like a Kugi Punch using Toriko as inspirtation
I included the manga and anime versions of Kugi Punch to show a rough reference but Nariko's punch is meant more like she punches once only but then fists of Thunder punch the opponent again rapidly afterwards but she doesn't move

Narikorapidpunch.png

Kugi_punch.png

Toriko_using_Kugi_Punch.jpg

Aleks

Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't made a sprite in two years...gosh.

Sprite 1.PNG

Top seems fine, just the bottom looks real ugly. lol Gonna take me forever to get back into the spriting groove. :stare:

TarebearGames

Aspiring Game Maker!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't made a sprite in two years...gosh.

Top seems fine, just the bottom looks real ugly. lol Gonna take me forever to get back into the spriting groove. :stare:

You're doing a lot better than I have haha! I am so nervous doing sprites it's my first time yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My outfit at Metrocon. It was fun.
Manafinder got featured in an Upcoming Indie RPGs video alongside other great RPG Maker (and not RPG Maker) games!

Frostorm wrote on Pharonix's profile.
Hey bro, hmu if you're around...I really need your help. >.<
Working hard to keep master @ImaginaryVillain 's sparkles on stock! :kaodes:
A3lgj8H.jpg

Hopefully this will please him enough to give us our beds back...
My mom is finally coming home tonight! In the meantime, Wishful Wanda is back in production.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cmhub05