The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefries

Jefries Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    It looks great man. Also wouldn't it be better for you if had put the arms downward so that when you finish it you can make it be more of a running character (Or if you are already planning this keep up the good work. Being honest the first one that is facing down, it's legs look like chicken legs :guffaw: . Anyways I just think you maybe should make the legs like a little lighter maybe and a little wider on the bottom for that sprite. Be aware I'm just a noob on this stuff but I wanted to share my opinion at least :)

2. hmind

hmind Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    @Jefries haha yeah thx, opinion appreciated  :D . I will see how she looks with clothes and might change something if it looks weird. She has stylized 3 head tall proportions. In small images you usually have to exaggerate details to keep the accent. With that in mind i hope her to appear feminine in small resolutions. Her arms will move into position later, when she gets some bones.

3. ksart

ksart Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @hmind i see we are of the same mind!

This has been a side project of mine for the past month that I wanted to share.

[​IMG]

Made in blender, also. This model is just the base for test purposes.

Sorry i cant seem to spoiler images on my phone :/

NM Play likes this.
  4. Jefries

Jefries Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    @ksart seems really nice. From seen @hmind's photos I try to look up Blender and It seems too complicated for me maybe on the future I'll try of making a character like that. Although I already installed it.

5. Jodis

Jodis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I need some feed back on my snow trees I just made. This is my fist snow tile. Please be honest. You are right it don't look like a pine tree.

but this is not earth. Not going to give away my ideas atm. But one chara I am going to add to the party is a dagon. I wanted it to look like pine

needles but not to much like a pine. Also I want the snow to match other tiles from the MV tilesets so I don't have to make as many. This is just a test to see how to make snow. I would use the pine in the tileset we get, but there is no tile for one without snow. I am adding season. So I need 4 tilesets, One of each season to change the tilesets

BTW How do you add the hide Button? lol

The Trees are more like an Rpg Maker verson of http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ncs/lifeatosu/2011/starker-lecture-series-begins-in-february/.

But I need One with snow and one with out. Didn't want to make them to tall so I shortend them. Sorry I don't remember the name of them.

Updated Screenshot. Made some changes to the snow.

View attachment 35672

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
  6. LaFlibuste

LaFlibuste Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    What kind of tree is it supposed to be? The green version seems to have big leaves? Although it is strangely shaped for a leafy tree. But it's not really a cone either...?

In any event, I guess my comment about the snowy version is "it's a weird shape" and "If it's a leafy tree, it should have lost its leaves and it looks all wrong".

Maybe look at some reference?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  7. Chrispy

Chrispy Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Get rid of the harsher outline of the tree. It doesn't look good to see a few lone black pixels surrounded by white. Use some gray, white, or the lightest green color that's already on the tree. You should also try working on the shape a little, but other than that, I like it. The bigger leaves don't look terrible, and Its not like the usual RPG trees you see are all that accurate either.

8. Jodis

Jodis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    It is like a pine tree. In winter they don't lose there leaves they don't have any. I am trying to learn how to draw snow. The snow is more inportant to me atm. Also thank you for the help I need it this is my first time with snow. Maby I should show you my tree house. Now that will not be fun to add snow to. lol. It is BIG. Wow thanks for the pics. Here in Oregon we don't see that much snow.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  9. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Let's start with the pine.  The tips of the branches are fine, but when they're closer together near the trunk they tend to look like one giant mass of needles on the outside, you can't tell where one branch ends and the other begins.  Keeping the edges all the way back into the start of the branch is what's making it look like a giant leaf.  Also, the copy/paste is very obvious, I don't think you'll be able to get away with it, especially since branches on that type of tree get smaller towards the top.

Here we have pines and we get lots of snow, so I can tell you a thing or two about how it looks.  You're not going to get that shelf edge look on the leaves because of how the pines hold the snow.  It does gather into big humps in the center of the branch, but at the very edges it'll be thin or even not there at all, because the needles are thin and the snow just sifts through it.  There's usually no snow at all nearer the trunk because the higher up branches caught it all.

It's very easy to make snow that's hard to look at.  Don't make it white, make it a very pale grey blue and use a pure white for a highlight.  It'll still look like snow and be easier on the eyes.

10. McSundae

McSundae Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German

I really like that style, reminds me on Undertale :D  Pretty nice

It's technically not done badly, but i don't like that it's a tree that is not existing in the real world :D  Or at least i don't know which kind of tree that shall be :D

Finally i also have a new piece of art - a sideview battler ogre :)

[​IMG]

DarkBooDev and Haydeos like this.
  11. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

Ghost of Christmas Kloe Ghost of a Princess Seagull Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I tried to make a hanging animation for a sprite I was thinking of using and ended up converting a sprite I was using for something else into a "Hanging sprite" to test if it was easy enough. The question is, does it actually look like the person is being hung or just standing there? If it looks good enough, I might make one for each of the RTP heroes.

KloesDeath.png Oh, and it's really small, I forgot to mention that. I probably should also work on the eyes!

Also feedback time!

@McSundae I love the ogre, he looks very surprised! My only question is, is he squatting? He looks a bit like he's sitting... I still love it though, and the club looks dangerous!

@Jodis I like it, but I have nothing to add which hasn't been said. Except maybe the leaves look quite organised to me, that might just be me...

@ksart It looks great! I can imagine him/it running around in circles! Maybe make his face look happier?

@KanaX Um... to add? Um... a garden fence? Like those white ones? Or some hole in the ground?

@DarkBooDev As it has been said, it reminds me of classic games such as Undertale. Also the last set of the sprites remind me of the Reddit logo...

12. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kloe I really like the idea of hanging sprites!  But right now it looks like the character is just standing there.  Bodies are heavy, so when they're suspended in the air the limbs tend to drag down towards the ground.  The arms should hang in almost straight lines, and the feet would point the toes down.  Having the head tip forward could also help sell the 'hanging' part, since heads are pretty heavy and wouldn't stay upright on a broken neck.  I did two quick edits, so hopefully they help you understand what I mean.  :)

[​IMG]

13. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Those are really good! I'm actually sorta worried you know so much about hanging. That's quite interesting but morbid.

Edit: I tried again, using your advice, this time poor Harold was being hung. Is it any better?

HaroldHang.png

14. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kloe  Ahaha, I've read a lot of murder mysteries and took some forensic science courses, that's where I got my knowledge from.  Harold is a big improvement!  It's fine as is, but changing the feet positions so they're not so flat at the bottom could make it look even better.  :)

15. Ghost of Christmas Kloe

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh... Right, I forgot about the feet... dang it, I was wondering if i'd glanced over something!

16. DarkBooDev

DarkBooDev Destroyer of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @McSundae Thanks! That's actually the kind of style I was aiming for! :D

17. DarkBooDev

DarkBooDev Destroyer of Worlds Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Kloe

Thanks! And my friend told me the same thing about my last sprite, it was pure coincidence and I think its hilarious! :D

18. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    DarkBooDev, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

19. PrincessPixel

PrincessPixel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So, after extended difficulty and multiple crashes, I've scrapped my 3D tileset for now. Auto tiles and smooth lighting don't mix. X~X

In better news, however, I found a couple really easy to understand pixel art tutorials. I'm usually bad at 2D Art, but only having four colors to work with actually makes it easier. :p

As a result, I've been making a 48x48 GameBoy-esque tileset.

[​IMG]

I'm still really new to pixel art, so feedback is really appreciated! Any apparent quality in this work is purely coincidental, and probably because I had reference images right next to my monitor while working on this. XD

DarkBooDev likes this.
  20. Omega Weapon

Omega Weapon AKA Laura Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Basing some boss designs off fractals. That sounds like a good idea.

WeirdGod1.png

For the original fractal:

WeirdGod1FullSize.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.