Status
Not open for further replies.

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I want to slowly start having my stuff critiqued, just to see if I'm actually able to UNDERSTAND & USE advice that's given. (Also, my girlfriend only says that everything that I do is really good, so I need to be reminded that I'm not actually really good! XD)

I tried covering up a statue today with a white sheet, simply to test my fold shading.

6XXALO7.png

The middle bit seems off somehow >.>

(I'm not an artist who's able to picture how things should be in my mind, I just do things, see that they look bad, and then redraw again & again until it looks better)

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm using 100x100 for my faces as I prefer the size.

Just started this last night.

ktxXIpg.png

Funny thing is, this was intended to just be an avatar.

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, so I started on making the bust portraits for my project, and trying to rework the bust portraits into a sort of... character "card" artwork, to give a picture to the character summaries I typed up. Anyway, here's the first one of the protagonist:

ChildPortrait.png

Like a lot of artists I have a problem with hands, if that weren't astoundingly obvious.

Ariaka

o_o
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English

I think you did a splendid job, and it does look very good as is. Will admit I was a fan of "The Great Saiyaman" as tacky as Gohan's attempt was at the super hero persona. (That is what made it so adorable though.) Spots you could look at would be;

• The left side of his face is solid compared to the AA done on the rest of the outlines. This makes his face look unusually jagged compared to the rest of the outlines in the image.
  • The shadow under his chin should be a shade lighter than the outline as well. Since it is the same color as the outline, it serves less as a shadow and looks more like a thick area of outline.
  • The pillow shading effect with the darker shadow on his chest. You made an attempt at expanding it on the pectoral muscle, but everywhere else it just follows the outline faithfully. Try expanding it out a little more, similar to what you did with the lighter shadow.
  • Consistency on the AA of the outline could be worked on a bit. The part of his uniform in the light could have a slightly darker outline while the part in the shade could be a touch lighter (to simulate the softness of the clothing). Soften some of the face outlines as well (nose, and mouth particularly). Or 'sharpen' some of the softer outlines to make it consistent.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, a long while ago I tried to make game boy styled graphics, but that quickly led nowhere due to the usual procrastination. From the ashes of those graphics I'm trying my hand a new tileset this time in a modern day setting. I've only been working on it for a couple of days, but nonetheless I'd like some opinions, feedback suggestions of what I could add or anything of the sort.

The tiles are mostly composed for now of random things you could find in a house, though I intend to expand them as needed. BTW, the game supposed to happen in not-Buenos Aires that explains street signs being blue instead of green and that this little guy snuck in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_%28beverage%29

Image1.png

The graphics would actually be doubled in size when used in game, like this:

Sin_nombre.png

I've also tried to restrict myself to a 16 color pallete both for a retro feel and less headaches. Any thoughts on it?

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I haven't yet had time to browse this thread very much, but it's already quite impressive (and inspiring) to see what people have come up with on the last few pages. :)

I thought that I could start with a little feedback:

@PrincessPixel I definitely get a Gameboy-like vice from your graphics, and it also somehow reminds me slightly of the Legend of Zelda game, which is seldom a bad thing. I like your tiled walls and the general style of your tileset. If anything, I might suggest making the outline of the grass areas a bit lighter: the thick and dark outlines you are currently using might make them look like they were on a different level than the tiled paths (if that makes any sense).

@Nirwanda I rather like your trees, the table and the chairs, and I can only respect someone who is willing to restrict their pallette to 16 colours (given that I tend to mess up with my supposedly restricted pallettes), heh. I wonder if some of the black outlines would look better as some other colour, though, such as the wrinkles on the blanket on the bed being the darker red you have used for shading. The door below the shelves also looks less detailed than most of the other objects, so it could perhaps use thinner lines or more shading.

As for myself, I have been lately working on music for my own project.

It's going to be field music for my game, but I feel like it is... lacking something maybe. I'd appreciate any pointers or other comments, especially since I'm nothing short of an amateur when it comes to composing.

Last edited by a moderator:

MektiKwiiger

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
@Punamaagi it feels like there is some urgency, as if it belongs in a quick time event or a battle. I may be misinterpreting what you wrote, but when I think field, something calmer, slowed down is what I see as more appropriate.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PunamaagiWell, I'm musically challenged, so take my opinion with half a grain of salt, but I really like it. It's got a western feeling that reminds me to Wild Arms.Thanks for the feedback, too :)

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@Punamaagi I also get a bit of western vibe from it, but I quite like it. It is a good music for travel scenes or travelling.

I'm working on some benches/chairs and could use the feedback. Especially if the sideview and backview are looking correct:

benches2.png

This is a WIP, please don't use.

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@PunamaagiI love it! I've listened to it literally for the last 15 mins... I would love it as a town or field theme, but I think it'd have to be a special or epic field with intense battles or strong monsters, it sounds like an end-game theme to me.

@NirwandaThe tileset is awesome, I love the feel of it, so simple yet so cool, and I LOVE the colours, so pretty! The small toilet looks really odd though, the large one is great though and I really like the wardrobes.

@Candacis The look great, but I'm a little confused about the middle beam bits, I have never seen a chair with a little beam in the middle back, I dunno, it may just be I have odd chairs, but it's odd for me. The sideview chairs are absolutely incredible though, I really like 'em!

PrincessPixel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Punamaagi Thanks for the feedback! I felt there was something "off" about the grass, but I couldn't quite place my finger on what it was. 
As for your music, I think it's a great start! I would vary up the drums a bit, see about adding fills in there every now and then. Maybe throw something in on a higher octave, like bells or a pan flute.
I've been working on music too, in case you want to check it out. I've had a bit of practice, and my little brother is a wizard at this stuff, so he's been giving me pointers that I can share!

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
ml2X8i6.png

Vegeta wip.

Edit:

Didn't like the boots, kept working on that.

Haj9EkO.png

Edit:

Bulma Wip

1GhkPa2.png

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I currently am redoing some of characters, starting with this one because everytime I saw him cringed...

Please tell me, i this any better :/?

zPvyFqx.png

Exept the eyes. I know that they look weird... 

PrincessPixel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Iliketea I would say it's definitely an improvement, especially on the shading. Overall, the line quality is a lot better too, and the hair seems much smoother than the old one. I like what you did with the clothes too, they seem more "real", with actual substance, as opposed to painted onto the body.I can definitely see that you went with "less is more" in that regard, and it turned out well.

As for critique (which I hope doesn't come across as too harsh) you might want to make the shoulders a little less square, since most times shoulders tend to slope downward a bit. The upper arm of the new one seems a bit thin too, even given their overall small frame. The elbow of that same arm seems a bit sharp. Also, the eyes aren't too bad, I think it's just their placement that makes them seem a bit weird. 

Keep in mind, I'm terrible at drawing people (or just drawing in general) so take my advice with a piece of salt.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@PrincessPixel

First of all, thank you for the critique ^^ 

I still struggle with body ( the faces more or less turn out allright) so having a hint to the right direction is really helpful^^

I just can't seem to find the right balance between the "fragil boy" and "about to die from malnutrition" right :/

PrincessPixel

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
There's nothing saying you can't go back and touch up what you already have! It would be silly to reinvent the wheel. What program are you using for this? Because working with layers is a godsend, since you can make your changes without messing up the original.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@PrincessPixel

I definitely will fix the existing file, not make a complete new one XD
I am using Clip studio Paint and my file is full of layers ;)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It has been too long since I visited this thread.

@Haydeos Drapes are extremely hard.  Get some fabric like a blanket or tablecloth, preferably about the same weight that you want this to be, and play with it a bit.  Pinch it, pull it, drape it over stuff, notice where it's smooth and where it bunches and where it folds and try to figure out why.  We don't spend a lot of time trying to understand the things we see all the time, so you'll be surprised how much you learn about fabric in a very short period of time.  For this particular piece of art I'd suggest a few things.  Note the points that stick out the most (elbows, head, pommel of the sword) and have that be the smoothest part at the top and drape things down from there.  Make drapes to the ground and swooshes to other bits that stick out.  Don't be afraid to have some large flat sections, it shouldn't be all wrinkled.  Like a good map it'll look better with some clumping and some positive/negative space.  I would assume that this fabric is something sturdy so the transition between the downward drape and the pedestal won't be smooth at all.  It's going to puddle and bunch up a bit in a few places.

c0sa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Hi guys.

Long time ago I posted here asking advice for the trees I was making.

After a long time, I finally was able to do something nice (I beleive it's nice).

What do you guys think? What else should I improve?

ArbolEnio.png

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Is this better?

old                                                                                                                  

YZxDqf0.png

new

IGQyGCE.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Oh, boy. I'm now having dreams about Unity.
i want to make videogame, though i am burned out on games with RPG elements, but the only gamedev tool i know how to use is rpg maker. :/
Rakon wrote on xizorandy's profile.
Hello! I found a post of lightning strike pictures you posted. You said you made them, am I allowed to use them in my commercial project. Would be really cool!^^
evhht2zr.png

Have a nice day!
It's almost 3 month and this piece of drawing is still not finished yet.
aaaa.jpg

Really busy with other stuffs like commission and coping with personal problem.
Stella & Elyune, maybe used for promotional art if my game project finished one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lotrein