Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@c0saAwesome! That's some gorgeous pixel goodness.

@Iliketea (for some reason it doesn't let me do the call thing) Yeah, the shoulders definitely look more natural now. If you made any other changes, they elude me. Sorry!

EDIT: maybe you did his arm a little thicker...or does it just seem that way?

Anyway, I continue my 16 color modern graphics oddysey. This time I tried to do some ground tiles, some hospital tiles and some construction area ones, plus a few misc. I'm really proud of a few, and unsatisfied with others. Any advice, opinion or criticism is encouraged (please!):

Image3.png

And doubled in size as they would look in game:

Image32.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nirwanda  From my experience it's hard to critique tiles without mockups.  Are you wanting to keep the harsh black line everywhere?  I think if you took the black out of the center and added a few highlights in the place of some of those black lines it would look a lot less flat.  You should take it out of the floor tiles completely.  You don't want to draw too much attention to a floor tile, it will upstage the things around it and make it hard for the player.  You can put detail into a ground tile, but be careful, it needs to stay negative space.

@Iliketea  He means significantly.  Kid's got an okay chest, but the rest of him looks like he's got nothing but skin and bone on him.  I'd thicken up the neck a little too, it's just too thin to be believed.

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Sharm

I really seem to have a habit or starving my characters XD
Anyway, after a bit of fattening, is this better?

u3ZXU20.png

c0sa

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
@Iliketea: I don't do sprites so I wouldn't have any advice or anything like that. I like the B sprite, it's better than A, but I feel something's weird with the neck, I would draw it a little bit more to the left because it feels that the neck is -> and the head is <-. Other than that is pretty good!

@Nirwanda: Thanks for the kind words :) . Your tileset reminds me of earthbound, it looks really good, everything in place, maybe make the cars a little more bigger because I suppose the player is not that small right? I'm not a fan of 16-bit style art but if the game you are making has enough details in your maps using this style it would be awesome.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I currently am redoing some of characters, starting with this one because everytime I saw him cringed...

Please tell me, i this any better :/?

zPvyFqx.png

Exept the eyes. I know that they look weird... 

Your problem is a lot deeper but you are getting there. I cannot in good conscience ignore a budding talent :'D

also ps. i havent drawn for days so my examples arent the best.

ps. i quickly drew these so not accurate, go find references!!

Direct Link Full Size

lsWovpv.jpg

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Nirwanda  From my experience it's hard to critique tiles without mockups.  Are you wanting to keep the harsh black line everywhere?  I think if you took the black out of the center and added a few highlights in the place of some of those black lines it would look a lot less flat.  You should take it out of the floor tiles completely.  You don't want to draw too much attention to a floor tile, it will upstage the things around it and make it hard for the player.  You can put detail into a ground tile, but be careful, it needs to stay negative space.

Well... I'm not sure it's mockup ready, but I'll try.

By harsh black lines do you mean the outlines? Or something else entirely? I'm not sure what you mean by "take the black out of the center"...are you talking about a specific sprite? Really add more highlights? I actuallly thought I added too many.:p

Thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated.

@c0saWell, I'm using the style because I don't think I'm good enough to try a more complex one. Thanks in any case. :)

And yeah I hope that by creating the tiles myself I can add as much detail as I want.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nirwanda  Pure black and pure white are such extreme colors in pixel art that some artists never, ever use them.  Every place you put pure black is a place that's going to get a lot of attention.  It works pretty well as an outer edge outline for that reason, since it makes things pop out from the background, but you should only do that look if it's on purpose, which is why I asked about it.  Is the black a style choice or just a default?  I'll give you different advice depending on what look you're aiming for.

Well, you probably did add too many highlights, but what I'm talking about are well placed and very specific highlights meant to do a specific job.  I've done a bunch of random edits to show what I mean.

simpleedit_zpsetblynzb.png

The highlights are going to be the easiest to understand by looking at the tables.  On the edge between the top and the side I've replaced the black line with a highlight.  This makes the edge look like it's coming forward, not sinking back, giving the table more depth.  The car is the best example of taking the black out of the center.  I've removed the black and replaced it with highlights or shadows, depending on what was needed.  The car is less segmented but still has a bold exterior outline to help it pop from the background, if that's the style you're going for.  The duplicate vending machine is an example of what I think you could actually do with a bit of workshopping if you want to go for that style and are willing to put in the extra effort.  The darker, large dirt pile is an example of what I think you should do instead of pure dithering, use the transition to imply more texture.  Something I think that would really help  the overall look is a consistent light source, but again, that's going to depend a lot on what style you're going for.  If you're going for a low to no shadow environment then you should be consistent with it and get rid of the shadow on top of the vending machine and on the dirt piles.

LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
About a month ago I bought my very first tablet, and have FINALLY, after years of technology passing me by, have entered the world of digital art. I'm so excited because making game art will be easier (and I can improve the quality of my webcomic YES), but getting used to the new program (Clip Studio) and the tablet itself is kind of like learning to draw all over again.

Still, I think I'm doing pretty good. This is the main character for my untitled game. I still have to add freckles, shade the clothing, add clothing details, and figure out what the heck I'mma do about that STAFF. What do you think?

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FMYyk7q.png[/IMG]

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the hue shifting.  I think if you're going to use more than 3 shades a color you should drop the cel shaded look and do something softer, trying to do a smooth transition in colors with the hard edge is contradictory.  The line art is good, nice and confident and rather surprising for someone new to a tablet.  Good color scheme.  Where is your light source though?  Picking just one would make an enormous quality difference.

LadyHammer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Sharm You know, I had the exact thought of maybe ditching cel shading last time I looked at it. At first I thought it was a neat style but now I have less love for it, lol. I feel like I've dumped a lot of time into it already though to go back, BUT, Clip Studio's blur tool is actually really awesome (last time I used a graphics program, it was Photoshop 5.5 which was a mess) so I think I might be able to get away with softening it that way. I hope. I dunno... worst case, I have base colors on a separate layer.

I didn't actually think about a light source. I was looking at character art from some of my favorite RPGs back in the day and now I realize that there really isn't much shading on those haha. That look was what I was going for but I love shading things so much and I think I got carried away. I should study light sources a little more, hehe.

Thank you for the kind words, by the way. It really helps when this stuff gets frustrating. x_x

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to make custom sprites for my MV project. The female looks okay, but I can't think of how to fix the male body. ;_;

Sprite_WIP.png

Should I have zoomed in? >>

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@StrawberrySmiles  The male sprite looks pretty good, but two things that stand out to me are the sloped shoulders and the low abs.  Squaring the shoulders a bit and raising the abs up the torso could help make the sprite look more masculine.  :)

sssprite_zpsuy1g2itb.png
 Quick-ish edit to show what I mean

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Well, you're giving me too much credit, I believe  there is very little that's deliberate on my pixels. I'm just doing this by ear and hoping it turns out ok. No plan or anything like that.

Wow those edits look amazing! It's such an improvement! I think I understand what you mean about the outlines, I guess I should go over the other tiles using your edits as a reference. I really like the look.

It's not really about putting the extra effort so much as a lack of skill or understanding: I couldn't have done something as cool looking as that edit to the vending machine on my own, I wouldn't even know how to. Same with the dirt pile. What you did is very close to what I really wanted to do with it, but I ended up doing dithering because I had no clue how to acomplish that look. It's also the same with the shadows: I wanted to include them, but I have a hard time wrapping my head about where it's appropiate to use them and where isn't. So what you see, as much as it doesn't seem like it, is my attempt at having a shaded look. The sprites that don't have a shadow (which are many) are that way because I really thought no shadow was necessary. Sorry for making so many excuses, but when I see all the things I'm missing/not noticing I really think I'm art challenged. I'll try to improve on your advice though I have a hard time "thinking" artistically.

I think that saying thank you falls short of how grateful I am for you taking such a long time to give this incredibly detailed and educative feedback, nonetheless I gotta say it: thank you so so much. :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nirwanda  I really do think you can get there,  you just need a little bit of help.  At your stage in development I wouldn't worry so much about where you're actually at and what you can do on your own.  If you're willing to do a lot of reworking and deal with a lot of critique, I have absolutely no doubt that you'll be able to do it, and you'll learn more than you think in the process.  It's how I started.  I know that there's a lot you can't see yet, but that's not really a problem.  You're not used to looking at art this way, it's a skill too.  As long as anyone is really interested in learning, I'll be willing to teach.  It's fun, and you can learn as much from giving critique as you can from getting it.

The default for RM's light source is above and slightly to the left, which means that the tops of things will be brighter and the sides will be a little darker.  Just doing that on the boxy objects will add a huge amount of dimension to your work.

I think that's plenty to work on for now though, I'll let you do that before giving you more feedback.  You're already further along than you think you are.  RM perspective is a difficult thing to wrap your head around, even for an experienced artist, and you're doing a good job at it so far.

If you'd like to work with a limited palette right now to make things a little easier, I would suggest taking an existing one and working with that.  I prefer Dawnbringer's stuff, but Arne has some good ones too.  Color theory is a whole new skill and it's not necessary to load all the learning you need to do to be a skilled pixel artist onto the front of this project.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SharmThank you so much again, I'll try to be a good student then :p

I'll go over what I've already done and try to rework it, also I'll look into those artists for a pallete, then. Thank you for your kind words and patience.

chungsie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
figured I would make something with a perpendicular to ground perspective type of game... my first two attempts at creating character sprites.

lakmi.png

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I finished making (this round of) bust portraits. I don't have any of the emotional variations yet but I figured I could just post these for feedback anyway.

AllPortraits.png

Just ignore the black background around the fourth one. Long story short, that particular portrait won't be used in-game and I'm too lazy to fix it because of that.

...I do think owl lady's torso is a little too thin, though. And her right shoulder should curve in rather than out... I'll have to fix that later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!
Why parodies are always underrated on your opinion?
Daz3D has the weirdest number scheme for model generations...
Genesis 4 is the 4th generation and oldest currently available, Genesis 1 is the 5th generation, Genesis 2 is the 6th, 3 is the 7th.... And then it goes Genesis 8. So 4, 1, 2, 3, 8. So when looking through there store you have to remember that sometimes they'll say 6 but they mean 3, and vice versa. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EziliumIshin