Prodigy 1216

Prodigious Member
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malanglish
Primarily Uses
N/A
Man I really need help in spriting.... how do I make him running sideways? Any suggestions?

__kajji_new_style_by_prodigykajji1216-da01lcj.png

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm trying to make custom sprites for my MV project. The female looks okay, but I can't think of how to fix the male body. ;_;

Sprite_WIP.png

Should I have zoomed in? >>

It looks alright but the arms don't really make sense if you're giving the male abs which is too large for said sprite anyway.  Abs line up to the chest, you're pushing them out too wide...

Went and fixed some of my own sprites.

xOVERW1.png

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Prodigy 1216 That's a really neat looking sprite, though the legs look kinda odd in the front, I'm no spriter, but I believe that maybe they should be more straight and don't get so narrow towards the feet.

About a running version. Take it with a grain of salt, and it's kinda rough, but here's what I would do:

Image2.png

@RukiriWell, that's just too cool, I can't really give any conrstuctive criticism since it's leaps and bounds above what I can do...

Anyway, Sharm recommended me to check palletes done by dawnbringer for my spriting, so I converted my original sprites to this pallete: http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12795

One thing I noticed is that the author seems to be suggesting combinations of colors, which would really help me as I had to make several concessions regarding the coloring (the bigger one being changing the heroine's sweater from purple to blue). But I'm not sure how those combinations work, though he definitely used them in his mockups. Anyway here are the sprites.

Image1.png

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Nirwanda I like the 8-bit Gameboy Color feeling of the tiles, they seem well made ;)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Something is off about the guy I'm drawing (colours not all the way finished yet), but I just can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I've been flipping the drawing a million times, but I just can't see it. I need a fresh pair of eyes.

He should be relatively the same as the girl standing next to him.

neil_sketch1_zps57kgoorg.png

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Celianna The neck shadow is too far to the right, should start at his chin.

Everything else is really just an outline at the moment, the only other constructive criticism I can give is that the shadow is well.. too minimal, should follow his veins and not just hover above.

alennor

MANIAC PURSUER
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Something is off about the guy I'm drawing (colours not all the way finished yet), but I just can't pinpoint exactly what it is. I've been flipping the drawing a million times, but I just can't see it. I need a fresh pair of eyes.

He should be relatively the same as the girl standing next to him.

neil_sketch1_zps57kgoorg.png

If you're talking about the posture then there is different between the male and the female.The male's right shoulder is significantly higher than the female. It makes him to looks like he is deliberately move his shoulder slightly upward while posturing( the weird thing is, his arm has the same length even though his right shoulder is a little higher then the left. And i don't think there is anything wrong with his neck. If there is any problem of the neck, that would be the female. Her hair have overshadowed a little part of her neck causing her to look a little bit stumped.

This is only my opinion. Please don't take any offense from it :)

Hope it help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Iliketea

Tea lover
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
I am trying to make a wagon, this is what I got so far.

iGvft1g.png

Does someone have an idea what to do better?

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It looks great, but the wheels, bit at the front/back(not sure) and the main bit each have different styles, whihc makes it not really go together.

It still looks awesome though!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Nirwanda  You're improving!  You don't have to follow the palette exactly, if the restriction of colors is making things harder for you, just add a few in.  It is a bit weak in the purples.  The purpose of taking an existing palette is to lessen your stress, not add to it.  When adding the light source, think more about what counts as the top and what counts as the side.  Imagine the light and where it would hit and where it would be blocked.  A good example is those couches.  You've got the top edge and the bottom structure in light, but the middle is dark.  But a real couch lit from above would have the top edge and the tops of the seat cushions lit, and all the sided darkened.  Taking the highlight all around the top edge is a workable style, but not one I generally prefer.  It makes the transition between the edge and outline sharper.  That can work, but it's best for things like metal, where the surface is highly reflective.

@Celianna  His proportions do seem a bit off.  I think it's the widths of things that are confusing.  His shoulders are good, but it feels like his torso is too broad for the shortness of his arms, giving him a stout look that clashes with the style and thinness of his face.  Or it could be that his arms and legs are both too thin and short compared to the size of the torso and hands.  The girl's head is much bigger than his, plus her arms are the same length as his, even though they're different height.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@SharmThanks! I actually made these before the ones you commented, though I did try to improve the lightning based on your advice when I recolored them. Yeah, the couches did seem a bit off. I might consider replacing a couple of colours in the pallete for ones I really thought I needed (purple and a lighter shade of red) or adding them and use a filthy 18 color pallete :p

BTW, if the pallete thing is about stress, I was 100% stress free with mine, afer all, I picked the coulours I thought I would need. I imagined it had more to do with picking colors that mesh well and form an harmonious whole. You know that nebulous color theory thing that gives us laymen so many headaches.

Taking the highlight all around the top edge is a workable style, but not one I generally prefer.  It makes the transition between the edge and outline sharper.  That can work, but it's best for things like metal, where the surface is highly reflective.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about what I did with the bookcases/wardrobe's tops? What would be a more eye pleasing way to add highlights to them, then?

Thank you so much for the feedback, and though I think I've said it before it needs to be repeated: you're awesome. :)

@IliketeaAre the wheels supposed to be snow covered? Because that's how they look. Like Kloe said, the different style in shading is kind of noticeable, but overall, it looks really good. I'm not sure how would I improve on it, sorry. :/

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yes.  That is what I meant.  The highlight would only be on one edge, the one that gets the most light.  To be true to normal RPG lighting, and the autoshadow, that edge would be the one on the front.  If it was a box turned at an angle the edge would be the front left one.  Once again though, that is just the style that I prefer, it is not the only valid one.  The way you did the edge lighting on the tops is a valid method of lighting, it doesn't look bad it's just not something that I prefer.  Mostly because when I see it used it removes a lot of subtlety and gets taken too far.  That doesn't mean you should drop it, just be aware of it and what kind of effect you're creating when you use it.

penstab

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi hello, I'm new (and I'm hoping I don't mess up posting images)! I'm still trying to figure out how I want the overall game to look, but I had a go at some sprites.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MAElNgw.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RKjfJVK.gif[/IMG]

This is my first time doing such large walk sprites with more than 3 frames of animation. I'm not sure if there's too much hair bounce, is it distracting or off? I'm not too worried about the color palette or values at this point, since I'm sure I'll be editing that as I work on the background tilesets, but any feedback about the movement is super welcome.

Here's a character sketch, for reference

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vg14zSM.png[/IMG]

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Prototyping buildings for MV in 16x16 tiles since it's fast(er) and they scale up nicely. I spent way too much time fighting the autotile system (and painting them at a larger scale was just too time-consuming); in the end buildings just look better when custom-made.

ziZAoso.jpg

Tons of work left to do since it's super line-ey, has a rough palette, shadows are all over the place, and I wanted to add on a chimney... but it's just a prototype. It does look like a real building though!!

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@penstab Too many colors on the pancho?, shoes, and pants.

Animation is solid!

Pyromantic

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@penstab Looking nice! Spriting's always been my weak point (as opposed to backgrounds or objects) so I'm more than a little envious  :p

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@penstab  Woah, nice!  Very fluid, the hair bounce isn't distracting at all.  The side view walk has so much personality.  The front view is perfectly good, but because of that personality they don't quite match up.  I think I'm expecting to see a bit of a sway somewhere.  Oh, no, I think i know what it is, I think you need to add a bit more rotation so that it matches better.  The head turning very slightly, the hips, and so on.  It's got to be subtle though, so sub-pixeling might be necessary.  Sadly, animation is not my forte, so I can't be more specific than that.

Haydeos

The Dragon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
It looks strange because it's an aerial angled view of the rest of the wagon, but the wheels look full frontal. Try to show the inside the the bottom half of the wheels, if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Typed a long-ish reply to a post... forgot to actually HIT the post button, and moved to a different page.... finally noticed, don't remember what all I had typed and don't feel like trying to re-type it all.... smh....
Their tactics are evolving. They've learned to call for help when cornered. Never trust a mammal!
Good morning all. I still have a post up on video editing for cinematic trailers. Please make sure to check that out and give me a message as its still active in offers.
Hey everyone! I'm back :D

Snow White? More like Snowhere to be seen amiright? Hahaha I'm so sorry!! :kaocry:
I'm working on a modding system of my game and I screw the game up, so hard that I have to access my backup in my hard drive ;-;

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mestreb0b