The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaliske

Kaliske Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @NM Play  l looks great but one thing that always bugged me about a lot of character sprites is why people insist on

keeping their eyes looking dead XD    Harold.png    If you add a white dot in the corner of their eyes it makes them looks a lot better in my opinion anyway ^^

NM Play and RocketKnight like this.
  2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Kaliske  please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

3. Rukiri

Rukiri I like to make Action-RPGs Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Kaliske Thanks, made some improvements to the legs.

[​IMG]

4. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    I'm working on two new sprite conversions to my mv+ sprite size, but I'm not sure about the armor looks:

[​IMG][​IMG] cape variation: [​IMG]

Happy to hear any suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2016
  5. queenchrom

queenchrom Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Nedwal and Iliketea like this.
  6. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @queenchrom Looks good, but the sprites are too soft, sharpen them up.

queenchrom likes this.
  7. queenchrom

queenchrom Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    @Rukiri - I really appreciate your advice, but I'm not /quite/ sure I understood what you meant, so I outlined the shapes with a darker shade. One of the attached photos is lighter than the other. Did I sharpen them enough?

Screenshot (179).png

Screenshot (180).png

Marquise* likes this.
  8. Rukiri

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Sort of..  But if you lessen your colors that should help or broad them out so the color pallet isn't too close together.

Well, I think I got his leg and arm movement pretty smoothed out.

Keep in mind I was only focusing on his arms, his 2 idle in between frames are basically his idle frame with his arms being stiff or pushed in a frame or to out so that when he moves his arms it looks like it's a fluid motion.  Once I work out his legs it will be as smooth as his arms.

This is a 4-frame animation if anyone wants to know.

[​IMG]

Edit: Added tween movement to the legs so they look like they're moving back/forth.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  9. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @queenchrom I think he meant that the contrast is too low, making the plants blend in too much with the dirt, appearing 'fuzzy'. Try adding just one shade darker of green inside the plants to make them pop out from the dirt. They look very cute otherwise :)

10. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

I am at zero saturation. Going for a cement-ish structure. Should I add some color somewhere?
    Any other tips? Thank you.

Marquise* likes this.
  11. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Been working on the 16x16 tile prototypes still, this time I made a custom palette and have been doing some more "nature" tiles

[​IMG]

Transitions are still rough and I haven't done anything with autotile edges at all. Even at 16x16, the tree took a really long time. It's supposed to be a specific kind (dogwood) and while there are only so many ways you can pixel such a small tree, I wanted to get it as close as I could. I will make white/pink versions too. Next one will be a 10 tile high pine tree, but hopefully that will be more straightforward...

I wanted to stylize/cartoonize the fence more, but the autotile system won't allow for it at this resolution and I'm not sure if there'll be enough room on the B-E tiles because of all the buildings and trees :( Hopefully it's possible at 48x48 res.

Marquise*, c0sa, Bonkers and 2 others like this.
  12. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Rukiri  I hesitate to comment before it's done, since you'll probably know and will be fixing the things I'd point out beforehand.  There's something odd about the way that his shoulders move, like there should be less swing and more roll, if that makes any sense.  I think a little motion to the hair would make a big positive effect.

@KanaX  Cement is quite a bit lighter and a yellow gray.  I think adding a little color would help.  The overall structure is very nice.

@noctiluca  The dogwood tree looks really good.  I like the start on the other tiles too.  Maybe you should allow yourself colors that stand out more for the fence, they look like they'd blend into the ground right now.  The taller grasses, too, they don't pop enough, even though they're supposed to have more depth.  I feel your struggle with the fence.  I still wish the A3 and A4 tiles supported transparency and were on the same layer as the transparent A2 tiles, it would solve so many problems.

13. Akashic Soldier

Akashic Soldier IamHim Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I made this sprite, can anyone tell me what it is? (And while I am asking, which one looks better to you).

Llitmus.png

Litmas2.png

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  14. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It looks like a ninja turtle without it's mask, truth be told....or some kind of mythological creature, like a Kappa.

Marquise* likes this.
  15. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Yup, give it a mask and it will be a cute Ninja turtle BD

And I prefer the first one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2016
  16. Akashic Soldier

First Language:
    English
    Close enough! 

Thanks guys, I just needed to make sure people didn't think it was some kind of alien or something. It is a Sagone (a race of Turtle people of my own imagining).

Which one do people prefer?  The simple solid green or the one with the scales?

17. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think I'll have to agree with Chaos, the simple one is best. The scales look a little bit muddy, but I'm no expert. Maybe you should ask at the resource wip thread.

18. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm merging this with the WIP thread, the best place for feedback/input.

General Resources is for posting finished material for others to use.

As for my opinion, I do think the simpler one looks better, but I would look at the MV base and use it as a guide to put some shading onto the head.

19. Akashic Soldier

First Language:
    English
    Here is the finished product, if anyone thinks they can improve upon this at all let me know. This is NOT to be used in anyone else's game until I've finished making mine. Unless you can somehow make this look even more awesome and then I will share it with that person. But if you're Mr. Clicky McSave then I ask you to politely move along. No derpy turtle people for you.

View attachment 37828

20. PrincessPixel

PrincessPixel Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey again everyone, I'm back with a resource of a different sort this time. I like how my in-game music has been coming along, but a couple people have said it has some problems. I know it's a lot to listen to, but could I get some comments and critique on this chunk of songs? It's about a third of the total music my game will have, so I'd rather get feedback before making any more.

Any help is appreciated, and apologies again for dumping such a big resource on here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.