Not open for further replies.

terrorchan

Literally a Gloop
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I made some talk portraits for this one character but something's bothering me and I was hoping for some feedback. Here's the portraits:

The smile one (Top Middle) is bugging me for some reason, but I can't tell what's off. He's supposed to be sort of excitedly popping his head up but I think it's not working that well...

I think it looks super cute ^0^

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
cliff.jpg

Any ideas on how to improve this cliff tile? Does the shading/lighting look okay?

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@boomy I like the color and the shading. It seems a bit blurry. No real problems with the rest, with the exception, perhaps, of some or the rock formations. They seem a bit too curvy and fluid, like frozen lava formations. It'd be great if you could make some more edges on them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX I like your new trees, but then again, I am always falling in love with graphics.
It took me awhile to find this thread, but here I am.  I am really happy with the walls, some of the floor, but the one floor tile I am certain needs more done to it.  Only I haven't really done floor tiles before and could use some advice. 

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Caitlin I'm sorry, but I don't need love that fickle. I'm afraid it cannot work out between us.

When it comes to your floor tiles, they surely lack the detail that your wall tiles have, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (lot's of details are tiresome to my eyeballs).
However there is something you need to fix. Most floor tiles I have seen tend to be "hit" by light from a different angle (from that the wall tiles are hit). However your floor tiles appear to be hit from a 11 o'clock light source just as your wall. I would suggest that you either change it to 7 o'clock, just like your roof tiles (weird that you did it there but not on your floor), or do a "halo" around your brick.

Here's something cooked up for you.

8igc1Cf.png

Changed the light source and for detailing I added a faint dimple in the center of the bricks. I feel like it brings out an unevenness and some depth to the surface of the bricks, but it's also not too intrusive. You can also just expand the details of your roof tiles to fit your floor tiles for a nice texture.

qyEoaFs.png

Tried to fix the "caking" by being a bit more random and wild with my layer placement. Seems good 'nuff.
Also, placing every single leaf individually is not fun.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX Hence why I said I fall in love with graphics, it was a hint that unless there was something wrong with it to otherwise ignore my statement.  I can't post something without commenting on someone's art and yours, I felt was really cool looking.  You new one is just as cool, but if have you thought about adding a stray branch or two?  It might help get rid of that caking a bit or at least, hid it a bit (I suppose). I took your suggestions to heart and I am going to be adding the texture after dinner.

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Caitlin Never take what I say too seriously. Thanks for the suggestion ^_^

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX

New tree looks better. The clumps loom fine to me. Trunk looks a bit off axis but definitely an improvement.

Thanks for your suggestions as well. Most of my recent art has been quite blurry; being too aggressive and too lazy with blending. I also agree some of the shapes don't quite mesh well (lava flow), I shall model the cliff more like Rtp where the rocks have more polygonal shapes. I think my main issue is when I draw my shapes they're all come shapes and with the blending they end up very cylindrical 

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX it's fine if you're going to go for that sort of style, but I think you can do better. Right now it's very 'clean', with a perfect layer of leaves on top of each other, there's no random leaves going haywire, or missing pieces. There's also too many leaves at the bottom, you should remove a portion of that. Leaves try to seek sunlight after all, and there isn't much at the bottom of the tree where there's only shade.

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sample-cliff2.jpg

New cliff design WIP
Does the left side of the cliff look better (less polygonal more crumbly) or the middle/right side (more blocky)?

Magixe

(∩ᄑ_ᄑ)⊃━☆゚*・。*・:≡( ε:)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Working on a sprite base, note that I have barely been doing pixel art for a week XD. Can anyone give me some pointers?

Here's the sideview...

Unknown-1.gif

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@MagixeI feel like the animation is a bit too static at the moment. Add a frame where it bops up and down and also fix the movement of the arm and it'll look better. Not going to critque or advise on the general shape of the base since that is wholly dependent on the style you are looking for.
Image1.gif

Starting spriting some battlers; here is a first attempt at a robot

Image2.jpg

The Right Hand Man

Any last words?
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I think I'll post my WIP edits of holders' animated battlers:

Soll Gunner to match an RTP characterThisGuy.pngGunner1.png

Some kind of Black Mage CowboyGunner2.png

DarkBooDev

Destroyer of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What do you all think of one of my NPC sprites? (I have others in different colors and clothes, but they all share the same base models and animations, including the death animation)

Gemmi_Pink.gif

HonestInnocence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Been working on a sprite project for quite awhile, and just returned to it after a several month break. There are a few of these I need to redo, but I'm looking to get a general opinion of what I'm doing so far :]

ykOljrh.png

8HV53Fo.png

Edit: Added in a new sprite.

boomy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@HonestInnocence those sprites look pretty good, very final fantasy x rm2k inspired but they have their own unique style to them. Some of the characters seem to have big hands but that may be a stylistic choice

VanillaBrocker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
@HonestInnocence This is beautiful, dude. Congratulations? Are you planning to make them as full character sets? It's very nostalgic to see these characters again!

HonestInnocence

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@HonestInnocence This is beautiful, dude. Congratulations? Are you planning to make them as full character sets? It's very nostalgic to see these characters again!

Thank you :D I am planning on making them full charactersets. It's gonna take awhile, especially since I plan to do most of the main characters from the main Final Fantasy series, as well as the rest of the rpg maker characters (XP, VX, and MV.)

Those sprites are in the Time Fantasy style. The first three rows are the missing characters (from the Time Fantasy sprites) from 2k(3), the 4th is FF1, and the second is FF2 (4 more characters to go for that one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How does one pronounce Godot? I've heard it pronounced a couple of different ways, and I genuinely don't know the proper way.
March 2020 ...
1635188823939.jpeg
... vs October 2021
You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanoql