The Resource WIP thread 2

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Celianna, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreatEater

TheGreatEater Coding is my dump stat. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So finally finished the big part of my first 3d base mesh. Well minus the ears, or details. I'm looking for fresh eyes to see if it's good, or horrible. And what'd need to be fixed.

Bodywire.png

Wireframe showing relative length and height of a normal horse. 

body1test.png

Side view mesh.

Body2test.png

Front view mesh.

Merging MLP:FIM visual aesthetics, with real horses, and a touch of my own artistic flair / aesthetics. Linked photo was what is used on reference on the other side. Anywho. I think it looks good, but I thought I'd get an outside opinion before moving forward. 

2. kedokata

kedokata Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, decided to start trying to make my own maps, so I've been working on some assets.  My first finished object is a Yoshino cherry tree; what are everyone's thoughts on it?  Thanks for the look!

[​IMG]

3. VideoWizard

VideoWizard Dragon Kingdoms Series producer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @kedokata Good start! What I like to do, though, and something that might help here, is adding a little bit of lighting to the sides of the tree. I usually make the top-left tilted towards yellow or orange, and the bottom-right or any area the sun isn't going to reach as much more blue or green. It doesn't have to be a sharp contrast, but a little helps, and is better than just shading with different tints of the same color.

As for the bark, the top of it probably would be towards the blue spectrum, as all those lovely leaves are going to block a lot of its sunlight. The middle can be toward yellow.

In general, warmer colors go where the sun is stronger, cooler colors where it is weaker. The shadow probably can be tinted towards blue just a bit, as it is already greenish here.

kedokata likes this.
  4. Avery

Avery Sleeping Dinosaur Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

I decided to finish an older Bust-wip I had started some time ago. My main problem were the scars (as you maybe can see). I had some trouble finding a good color sheme for them^^' Are they now too dark?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
    Bonkers, Dreadshadow and RocketKnight like this.
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If the scars are fresh, then they would be dark.  If they are older then they would have faded at least a bit, and the stitches would have gone, leaving only (perhaps) a pale residue.  So the colour scheme depends on what impression you want to give.

Appropriately creepy atm.

6. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The scars are pretty good. I would make them a tad darker, perhaps, if they are recent. If they are not, well it depends. Is she a normal person? If she is, then should have  a more pinkish color. If you are try to make a Sally 2.0 from Nightmare Before Christmas(as I first thought), try desaturating and darken them a bit.

7. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

/me runs in terror!

If you were looking to give me the creepers, you have succeeded. Don't change a thing.

8. cosmickitty

cosmickitty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @omega weapons - I'd suggest something more like this, your have too much contrast in the guy and some of the shading makes no sense

1.png

Bonkers and RocketKnight like this.
  9. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It is my first second time working on trees and I'm completely lost.

[​IMG]
    I'm particularly dissatisfied with the large tree. Could I have any pointers as to how can I make it a bit more presentable?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  10. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The shading of the large tree is a bit strange, hence the strange effect you feel. Moreover, having such a long branch is unlikely given the size of the trunk. Gravity would pull the left part down and tilt the trunk.

11. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Schlangan. Yes the shading is one thing. I think that the leaf pattern is also a bit problematic. As for the shape, I cannot really see the issue. Yes the branching is is a bit extreme, but the design is based on a real tree.

12. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing I have noticed with my own attempts at things, as well as looking at other peoples', is that it is often the case that when reduced to tiny proportions, things which look fine in RL look weird in tiles.  I don't know if it's just because of scale or because there isn't the supporting visual context, or something else, but I've seen it time and again.

13. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    [​IMG]

Hi, everybody! I'm testing a new hud in my project.

Concepts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KanaX and That Bread like this.
  14. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @ksjp You have a point. I'll try out a thicker trunk.

@RocketKnight your water looks splendid. Did you draw it yourself?

15. cosmickitty

cosmickitty Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    pretty sure trees are the devil....

Kanax are you working with 3d or 2d graphics? it's hard to tell from those trees... i'm going to assume 2d because I know nothing about 3d :D

Trunk -

first off it looks like you're overlaying some type of trunk pattern.... no... just no...

either that or you're abusing burn/dodge because it has a weird grey look to it

color palettes are crazy important when it comes to trees, i suggest finding a game with a tree you like and color picking off of it until you get comfortable with color theory

search palm tree silhouettes so you can get a feel of how the trunk design should look.  if your trunk is wrong, the rest will be too.  some of yours have some odd sharp edges that wouldn't exist.

there are several types of palm trees, but looking at your reference.... you're using a smooth edged tree trunk design and that isn't correct.  you should use what you have to lay down a basic shape and then detail it.  Bark on a palm tree works more in a V shape or like it's covered in blades of grass. link

once you have your shape you need to think about lighting, most things in RM seem to have a top left light source, if thats your case you'll have light hitting from the left side and shadow on the right, but also some cast shadow from the bark. (also reflected light, but i'm not going into that right now)
    Leaves

your palm leaves aren't bad, the do need some color work, they too look like they were colored using burn/dodge.  Burn dodge only changes the value of the color, not hue or saturation and it makes an object look very grey, you should only use the burn/dodge tool when shading textured items, like a plaid skirt.  If you're dead set on a shortcut paint with multiply/overlay filters instead, it gives a similar look but doesn't end up looking grey.

you have a much better shape going with the palm trees, remember that trees are 3d so you might add some depth to them (background leaves in a darker color/ foreground lighter)

For the large tree it looks like you drew one leaf pattern and then repeated it all over the tree.... again... no

once you have your tree trunk, pick a solid color, fairly large brush (i use hot pink) and design where the leaves will fall, no details yet, just a generic blob in a pleasing shape. 

Then take a lighter color (i use pale pink) and draw foreground leaf blobs, smaller than the other and splotchy. 

Then take an eraser and erase chunks so it looks more like leaves than blobs. 

After you've done all this and have something that slightly resembles a tree, then you can start working on individual leaves.  technically, using repeated leaf patterns is a no no, but people tend to like shortcuts.  if you're going to use a repeated pattern then it needs to have more detail than the one you're using.  here's an example from a project i did.  I made a handfull of small leaf clusters, then I made 4-5 larger clusters.  Then, I used the pattern I had previously made and overlayed my clusters.  but, VERY IMPORTANT, if you do this remember that each cluster would cast shadows in the other so you have to add shadows accordingly.  This specific game was under a time crunch so I utilized some drop shadow.

I highly suggest learning how to draw leaves on a tree from scratch before cheating

Here's some pretty good resources on trees:

trees

everything

colors

more trees

oh god more trees

2nd part of a 3 part series that are all pretty good

have a mentioned that i hate trees?
    **wow... i wrote too much about trees so I'm going to put it in a spoiler**

Candacis likes this.
  16. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @cosmickitty, Okay I need to save all these in a notepad, it's a treasure trove, thank you.

Some notes.

1. I have NO idea how to work with color palette.
    2. I don't use patterns, I think they are lazy. I just took some of the colors from the trees I wanted and then I worked with some feathered selections, some brushes and the airbrush tool. I'm also dissatisfied with the look of the trunks.
    3. However the texture of my trunks is based on actual palm trees, that didn't have that distinct leaf-blade pattern. I'm not sure if I'm still doing something wrong and please let me know if I do.
    4. I don't use burn/dodge on my leaves either. I'm just not into very strong/vivid colors. Again, if it's not just a matter of preference and I'm doing something wrong, let me know,
    5. I discovered the cluster technique after a bit experimentation, on my own shorty after posting the graphics :) Still needs work, though.
    Here's the updated sheet. I think the new trees are a tad better, if I can say so myself (except the second big tree).

[​IMG]
    First and foremost, I need to tend to the trunks and after that, we will see.

RocketKnight and That Bread like this.
  17. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @KanaX: your trees are two different qualities, it's weird. Looking at the palm tree, with the individual leaves and in different perspectives, it shows me that you can draw reasonably well. Then I look at your bigger trees, where you copy and pasted a single drawn leaf, making it appear as if it has no depth or volume at all. You should remember that the top is the lightest part, and that we should still be able to see some part of the back of the tree as well.

18. KanaX

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Celianna, Yes the big ones are very crude. What about the smaller trees that have clusters of leaves?

19. RocketKnight

RocketKnight Broke with expansive taste Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Kanax I do almost everything by myself :(

20. BCj

BCj Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I need a little help.. I decided to create my own mack-down sprites but I'm not a very good spriter, can anyone give me some tips?

I mostly think his back/cloak looks really weird.

Dead.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2015
    RocketKnight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.