Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Luchino I'd buy them! Those pixel backgrounds look amazing... if only I had half that skill someday.

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
@arcMagik: Thank you. =)

Part of a series of battlers I'm doing as well.

LotL_battlers.png

Need to get my pixel-art game on again. Will start uploading them individually to my resource thread.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Luchino I'll be right back I'm going to take out a second mortgage so I can just pay you to sprite my game... not serious but really great stuff there.

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
recline-able chair, working on this and a possible 3 step animation for the chair being reclined or normal 

sample.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Redid Vegeta's face.

New > Old (2X magnification)

s46jRHB.png

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ezgif-3108822014.gif

working on a crawling animation

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@gomiamiheat6804 I'd add a few more frames, but doesn't look like he's crawling...  Your body should be in a swinging motion and the arms or elbows should be in a pulling motion.

Working on a base for my own sprites.

olAA78T.png

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Because people with laptops use a mouse sometimes too. [idk how people can just use pad]

111.png

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@gomiamiheat6804 Looks good.  Depends on the pad, for pixel art or any art.. no I need a mouse or pen.

Cleaned up my base a bit.

Edit: Started the sides, always hated sides... never could get the head right.

rpg base wip.png

rpg base wip 2.png

PixelLuchi

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
UK English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Working on another pixel-art background. Still trying to get a 'feel' for the clouds and the moon texture before I start shading.

BvaV4KU.png

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow @Leon Kennedyand @Crunchino great work both of you. Leon, the shadding is very goos and adds a lot of depth, while i'm loving your clouds crunchino. :)

I'm making a monochrome game for RMC's indie in a week, the second dungeon is a temple, and I wanted to make a painting of a goddess holding the world as part of the decoration, but I think it's hard to understand it as it is. Any opinions/advice?

image.png

(the one on the upper right)

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
wow @Leon Kennedyand @Crunchino great work both of you. Leon, the shadding is very goos and adds a lot of depth, while i'm loving your clouds crunchino. :)

I'm making a monochrome game for RMC's indie in a week, the second dungeon is a temple, and I wanted to make a painting of a goddess holding the world as part of the decoration, but I think it's hard to understand it as it is. Any opinions/advice?

image.png

(the one on the upper right)

suppose i dont understand looks fine to me, less details than say the sprite but it is a painting after all. Looks pretty convincing to me at least for what you were going for while still matching the overall style of the tiles and game so nice job.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks. :)

BTW: it's supposed to be the winged goddess from the statue holding the world.

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Hello,

I'm working on some 3D prerender sprites for MV.  I'm hoping to eventually put them for sale so, I'd love to get some feedback on them before I dive in too far.  My main concerns are that the character looks okay with existing tilesets and is simple enough that developers can make modifications on their own.  

This should be ready to plop into MV 

test_render_01.png

The story:  I don't care for MV's balloon headed character graphics.  I'm an artist, so naturally I want to draw my own characters anyways, I figured I might as well replace the whole set.  Making sprites can be fun, but animating sprites is a pain in the *@$^#&#! so I thought, why not try this in 3D where making models is hard but animating is easy?  After a week of playing around, this is what I ended up with.  I wanted to start with something "fun" as a motivational tool, hence this character.  

I've rendered in various permutations for your consideration.  Let me know what works best for you.  First from the left uses a form of "edging" such as one might see in cell shaded 3D graphics.  2nd one is pure render, without edging.  I mostly like this style better, but there are some regions like the golden trim next to her skin which don't show very well.  1st and 2nd are both exactly what the render pops out, with characteristic smooth 3D shading.  The 3rd and 4th are indexed, meaning the maximum potential colors are reduced, specifically to 24 colors.  (a lot of the default graphics are indexed, especially in older games like 2k3)  This should help it match the spritey look of the available tiles (cuz boy do I not want to make tilesets) and make it easier for developers to adjust the sprites  when you want to change or add something.  It is often a pet-peeve of mine when I can't adjust an existing graphic because it's just too intricate to touch, I feel that way about some of MV's default graphics, and I've always felt that way about RPGM monster battlers.  Both indexed sets are based on the non-edged render.  The 3rd set is plain indexed, the 4th set uses a method called dithering which blends colors by interlacing two colors together.  This effect looks good from a distance, but it can have the effect of making all surfaces look rough, which is not always desirable.  

bigger_sample.png

This is a larger render.  It looks better, but obviously, not useful as a map walking character graphic.  One of the potential alternate methods of generating sprites is to render it as x2, then index it, then shrink it down to 48x map size, but I'm not wild about doing lots of extra work as things tend to get forgotten here and there.  This is probably the size and look that side view actor battlers will be, but I haven't made the poses to test that yet.  

I'm not interested in fulfilling personal requests at this point, but I'd be interested to know what sorts of characters you guys would be interested in having.  If left to my own devices, I personally liked 2k3's sprites the best, especially the jobclass characters.  I'm more interested in modern settings than medieval, so for example, I'd probably make a healer character look more like a doctor/nurse than a priest.  I'm interested in the idea of making anthro characters, but that could turn into a huge undertaking.  For example, if I want to do something like (wolf, lizard, shark, eagle) x (knight, ninja, wizard, healer) x (male, female) that's 32 characters and I haven't gotten into any particularly interesting animals or jobclasses yet.  I could just swap heads/tails and bodies, but I'm afraid that would be too boring.  I also like the idea of making some space opera graphics, like storm troopers, redshirts and space pirates, and I like the idea of anthros as aliens, so that might be a simpler or more natural way to do it.  I'd be interested in any ideas you have for space opera characters, as that's not as well defined as fantasy jobclasses.  

Next things I want to make are side-view battler and a male character template.  

Maidlyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Her legs look a bit too big for her body. That's all the feedback I can give right now, as I can't create my own sprites and don't really have any advice to offer you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Even though I spent 100's of dollars on my game already. I think I might just have to give it away for free. Since I haven't heard back from people if I could use some of their graphics. Even from a global mod here. Maybe I can make a donation thing.
you know, some days you get resentful that game dev is even considered a "fun job" and other days it's like, welp, time to roll up my sleeves and code these molotov cocktails
If you suck at playing trumpets, that is probably why.
Been sick with a stomach virus for seven days now. Not going to work tomorrow because I'm still contagious according to my doctor.
Much as I love my job, I really hate playing "office politics". It would be nice if I didn't have to pretend to be someone else all day long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DadOfSpaceMonkey