Uzuki

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have to agree with @Minty Starbound with the legs. A bit too meaty for the character's size. And a word of advice if you do go commercial with these: Behavior sprites like Running and Unconscious would be appreciated even if you charged a little more. It would really help your pack stand out and would be a nice incentive to buy if you show that you have more then just walking sprites. 

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
That might just be because the skirt is very high cut.  Do they still look too long with shorts?

shorts.png

Side note I wasn't quite happy with how the feet landed in sideview so I played around with that a little more.  Also, this one is edged and indexed since I didn't do that last time.  

...And a word of advice if you do go commercial with these: Behavior sprites like Running and Unconscious would be appreciated even if you charged a little more. It would really help your pack stand out and would be a nice incentive to buy if you show that you have more then just walking sprites. 

Unconciousness I can do easy enough.  Running?  It would be difficult to make a good running sprite with only 3 frames.  Can you suggest an example of RPGM running animation?  I would want to see how others do that.  I was thinking that poses like hands on hips, shrugging, waving, yes/no head shaking, etc, would all be pretty simple and well suited to 3D format.  I could certainly include that.  

EDIT:  Thinking about that.  I think if I did that, I would want to increase the frame size to give the characters some room to move around and do things like wave their arms or jump up and down.  Off the top of my head I'd love to include a kick animation for the map, as I loved that feature in Radiata Stories and NetHack.  

A question, as far as I know, it is possible to spill into the tiles to the east, west and north of a character, but not the south of a character because it is anchored at the bottom of the spritesheet.  Is this always true or is it possible to get around it somehow?  

Last edited by a moderator:

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately I can't really think of any RM games that have running sprites outside of some XP examples and I'm not at my computer to find them. I would suggest looking at some animation tutorials to see how to properly make a running animation and you can make a suggestion in your EULA to use Shaz's plugin for more character frames. 

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Well, this actually brings up a big worry-point for me.  I'm not new to 3D.  I could easily make a bunch of multi-frame animations and multiple poses and whatnot.  I'm hesitant to include a lot of features that would require extra plugins to use.  In principle, I don't want to rely on someone's work for my art to be useable, I want my customers to "open the box" and have all the artwork ready to use.  But, to my knowledge, with a program like RPGMaker, it's kinda standard procedure, I know the first thing I did was look for plugins when I got it, so it's not so big a deal in this case.  And it might be that anybody-who's-anybody is already using non-default animations and I just haven't been paying attention, in that case pfft, whatever, I'll do it.  

All the same, I feel like something like a running animation or a full walking cycle might be better as some sort of optional extra.  There's a lot of potential for non-default motions when it comes to combat graphics too.  I would have to think carefully about what I want to make for people there.  Another issue is that if I allow myself to think outside the default template I could easily end up wanting to add more and more animations forever and never finish, which is a dangerous mental roadblock.  

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
seen so many of these mini skybriges around town, when i was downtown earlier i saw three different ones and decided I was gonna make that! :D

skyline.png      still needs work

:D

skywalker1234.png

Uzuki

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would be your chose on how you would want to set it up. It was just my suggestion, just because the current character packs on the store don't offer any of those things that I mentioned, which would be easy money for you and give the customers more options to play around with. You could do a basic $10-$15 pack with walking sprites and then later have an animation/pose pack or more complex packs that take advantage of various outside resources.

As for your question on the sprite size, I believe you can make them as big as you want as long as the image is a multiple of 12 you can make it as big as you want. Of course once the sprites become bigger then 48x48 pixels (the default size tile) there can be impassibility issues, but there are plugins to work around that. 

KanaX

Just being a sleepy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Broken English.
Primarily Uses
N/A
WIP, obviously

When I'm done, I'll consider uploading a demo with the fight.

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
More:  

stuff3.png

emotion_emra.png

emotion_veon.png

I added a male character.  Still kinda effeminate, but I feel like people tend to go for that.  Diagonal walking, I know it's probably not something most people want, but it's a very easy thing to add on.  Added some emotional motions off the top of my head.  Waving, impatience, shaking, nodding, fighting stance, jumping for joy, reclining, KO'd.  Couple of these are intended for female character.  I did them for the male as well because it's zero effort and I figure someone will probably want it anyways, but I will try to think up some similar motions for male characters in the future.  

I'm currently investigating palette swaps too.  Seems a lot easier to do this post-render than pre-render, and that way developers can do it themselves if desired.  I need to rearrange the materials to make that work well, so something for the future at this point.  

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Leon Kennedy  I like the version with the metal structure underneath, it looks more solid now.  It just needs some shading so it's not flat.

Thanks that was the newer version :D  and yes agreed, shading is my ultimate weakness but it would look very nice :)  

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately I can't really think of any RM games that have running sprites outside of some XP examples and I'm not at my computer to find them. I would suggest looking at some animation tutorials to see how to properly make a running animation and you can make a suggestion in your EULA to use Shaz's plugin for more character frames. 

they are a tad oversized but tbh reminds of me of the sf5 chun li model which she has like very wide hips as well xD 

@AcetheSuperVillain looks nice keep it up

MysteryCorgi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
base_normal_walk.gif

I scaled this guy down from his original height to 22x48. I made him late last year/early this year and the walking animation had given me a lot of trouble. Originally he had 8 frame animation cycle, but for use in MV I cut it down to 3 frames. His torso was originally very stiff so I just fixed it and I feel pretty pleased with it.

Now I need to figure out the other poses and how to actually get them into MV. ^^; (I'm still pretty new to this.)

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@MysteryCorgi Still looks very stiff and his torso twists way to much...

There's a script you can use to use his original 8 frames.  

MysteryCorgi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
@Rukiri Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting! I might have to look into that.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KanaX, impressive work you did with that boss sprite, both artistically and game-mechanically.

@MysteryCorgi, you may want to check how the character interacts with the game. I tried making a more proportional sprite instead of the dfault chibi and found that restricting its height to 48 led to a problem with the default art set being too big for it and itself being too small for the screen resolution.

@Rukiri, a fan of DragonBall is always a friend of mine. You already need a thread to show your work! It is very nice!

MysteryCorgi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
VNM
@Pine Towers I had that realization as well! So I made the base a bit shorter and also improved the walking animation a bit. :)

base_normal_walk.gif

Also trying my hand at a Chibi walk animation.

spr_outline_walk4.gif

@Leon Kennedy That looks pretty great to me! I'm completely lost when it comes to environmental art.

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That looks pretty great to me! I'm completely lost when it comes to environmental art.

It's nice I just wish that I could work some upper trusses on to the bridge to make it look more realistic. There are bridges that only have trusses below but they are much more fragile and sometimes depending on how they are built can be completely faulty and that's why you see the cable connected upper and lower truss bridges more often now. I want this to eventually resemble this bridge in my hometown it's the goal.

Ferrovial-Autopistas-Cintra-ChicagoSkyway.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I was being lazy and just copied a map to test a new parallax, but I forgot to delete all the events. This was the result. :o
just finished a bunch of art commissions! im really grateful for this community- people have helped me out so much here- so im just trying to return the favor the only way i know how! :0)
Ami
--- Fan Art ---

F.Mage: Phew...after finishing the Gathering Quest,i can take a break with my Phone. Let's see,what's new in the Fan Art Gallery
(3 Minutes Later,The Fan Art Of F.Healer & F.Mage Pecking Each Other Appeared)
F.Mage: (Spit The Water) WHAT THE HELL!!!
(Meanwhile)
M.Knight: (Nosebleeding) Nice Scenery!
trying to figure my way around the basic functions of Construct 3 and OH GOD MY BRAIN. I'm starting to think that developing decades of RPG Maker skills might have a downside.
I miss my VXA project, so I might be rushing for RSE. Dropping a random progress report

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apocalypticLoli