Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Okay, I am starting side view battle graphics, and I have questions for you.  

First of all, here are the sprites

sv_emra_sample.pngwp_jian.png

Because of various factors, the easiest way to render this is to make the sv actor sprites and sv weapon sprites the same resolution and the same ratio as the map sprites.  I know that the RPGM gets cranky when it doesn't have the exact default resolution for weapon sprites, but Yanfly made this:  http://yanfly.moe/2016/01/28/yep-63-weapon-animation/  

I tested the sprites and got this:

misaligned.png

oof.  The little shadow is not helpful.  To fix the shadow, I tried to crop the actor sheet, but it still didn't look right, so the ideal fix would be to just turn it off if I can.  It looks like the shadows are in the system graphics, so I guess one could just replace them with a blank image.  

I have no idea why the weapon and the actor don't match up, I guess I don't know how the plugin calculates the overlay.  Although it seems to be about 32 pixels off, and the default is 64x64 battlers and 96x64 weapons so that actually makes sense.  If it's just a matter of shifting all the weapons by 32 pixels, that's not too bad, although it seems to me the more elegant solution would be to modify the plugin to not offset by 32.  

So my question is, if you had spent money on 3D character/battlers, would it seem reasonable to have to go though a few work-arounds with plugins and changing the system shadow to make it work?  And for those that like to modify graphics, does it seem like this is a quality level where you could add your own weapons or modify the battler sprite if you wanted to?  

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can help you fix the shadow but as it doesn't pertain to resources I will pm you about that. Looks nice btw.

View attachment shadow.js

Last edited by a moderator:

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
With the running animations and multiple frames, I haven't really found the right plugin that works for both PCs and NPCs just so you know.

Also, PV Games does something similar, except with graphics more fitting of a western RPG.

Interested in seeing more of your work.

Sinnistar

Star of Aegis
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Off to a good start. It's certainly a new way to bring in more detailed sprites to say the least.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Rukiri, I feel like her boobs are too high up :o  

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
With the running animations and multiple frames, I haven't really found the right plugin that works for both PCs and NPCs just so you know.

Also, PV Games does something similar, except with graphics more fitting of a western RPG.

Interested in seeing more of your work.

I think what I will do later is make a couple of different 8 frame walking cycles for things for things like a feminine walk, sneaking walk, double bounce walk, etc. and I'll include some running sprites at the same time.  I'll release it as a separate pack and let developers figure it for themselves if they want to use it.  

If PV Games is the one that does the Medieval themed characters and tiles, I've seen them, but I feel like they lack character.  I'm a fan of cartoons, japanese or otherwise, so I like bright colors, big faces, exaggerated gestures and all that.  

I can help you fix the shadow but as it doesn't pertain to resources I will pm you about that. Looks nice btw.

View attachment 47982

Thanks.  I don't know if I want to mess with fixing it myself, but I feel content that there are a couple ways around the shadow problem for people to use.  

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Hey, it's not in the way of her arms... If only certain bra were that good, certain girls would kick @$$CII more often!  (It was probably what Mr Brassière has in mind first. :p  )

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you actually posting these here to share as they are, or are you just looking for feedback on them right now?

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@BCj Anatomically it's correct, probably because I just defined them as circles, take away a few light pixels and they appear lower. 

You only need to know where they are when you're drawing cloths anyway :p

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Are you actually posting these here to share as they are, or are you just looking for feedback on them right now?

Um, both I guess?  I don't mind if you want to use anything you find here, but my main goal is to get feedback and it's definitely WIP at this stage.  When I start making graphics that I want to sell, I won't post them here.  In fact, it would be helpful for me to get feedback on how they operate in a game setting.  

Here's a full battle spritesheet for this character:

sv_emra_sheet.pngwp_jian_slash.png

I don't know how I feel about them right now.  Some of the motions are kinda whacky looking and the whole sheet seems to not quite match the battle back or the enemy battlers.  That might just be because my colors are a bit bolder.  I think some of it is because my characters move around more.  Although I guess the players and enemies have never matched up that well, I recall thinking that in the past...

Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to them.  

So I glossed over this before, but I managed to find a way to make Blender render with hard pixels like the original MV sprites or the indexed version.  Woohoo, that makes things faster to finish up.  

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, well, if it's just for feedback, it needs to go in the feedback topic so I'm going to merge it with that one.

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Working on animation.

Edit.. after animating it the legs are right but... those arms!

rpg base wip.png

ani-test.gif

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Working on animation.

Edit.. after animating it the legs are right but... those arms!

The shoulders are moving too much. I would put barely any movement in them.

@Leon Kennedy I think it looks odd that the far window is exactly the same as the near window. I would perhaps shade it a bit. Also, the way the edge of the doors line up it creates this line visually all the way across the car.

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@mlogan Thanks, I removed the arms to focus mainly on the legs for now...

3o6ZsZOPC48FhMMdK8.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been slightly struggling with developing the latest chapter, I think I will downscale my ambitions and make it more linear.
No internet for 2 weeks. Thank goodness for phones. :kaoluv:
Megumi_Aramaki wrote on Takeshi014's profile.
Here you go! Enjoy mapping!
Megumi_Aramaki wrote on Takeshi014's profile.
Valley can be done by outside mountain town tilesets I will send you right away!
Hi everyone! I've relased a demo about my new game in "Games in Development". Someone interested? :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hendrix_Za