Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm obviously not Chungsie but I think you should darken the outline for the capris and maybe use the current grey outline color for some shading.  Are you sure you want to do pure white though?  Pure white can be pretty glaring on monitors and color is all relative anyway.  You could get a light grey looking white with the right surroundings.

Lunarflame

Ice Elf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Well I can try that and tweak her some more. I'll do it when I get home. Thanks for that. Any other suggestions? 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I could go more in depth with this.  Hope I'm not too harsh, I'm sick at the moment so I'm not going to be telling you what's working, I'm just going to tell you what I see needs work, if that's okay.  Your work is nice, I'm just cranky.  I don't usually give advice to people at the level you're at because I tend to get carried away and kill people's desire to draw.  If I make you feel bad ignore me and draw awesome stuff anyway.  You don't have to get everything perfect for it to look good and work well.

For the pixel art part of it focus more on getting the general look of something right and worry a little less about details.  Details are going to get lost.  Figure out what's important to notice about the character, what makes them look like them and make that part obvious.  Play with hue a little more in your color ramps, they're too straight.  (Color ramps are the colors of shade and highlight for a single hue.)  Try to get the contrast on the ramps a little more uniform, it's not just the white that has that problem the whole thing is inconsistent with itself both between shades and between ramps.  It's pretty tempting when something isn't looking right to add more colors until it blends, but usually you don't need more colors at all, just a better choice of what colors are in the ramp.  You should try to keep the ramps approximately the same amount of steps, the 6 shades of blue for the shirt right next to the 3 shades of blue for the hair makes the shirt look overworked and the hair look hard.  Don't be afraid to reuse shades from a different ramp.  The blues and whites, for example, could potentially share a few colors.  If it works it keeps the piece uniform and it's usually pretty nice.  

For the anatomy part of it, you'll need to tweak the head a bit.  The poor girl has no forehead!  I'd say she needs at least three pixels of space between her eyebrows and her hairline.  Feel free to add a lot more bulk to the top of the head.  People tend to ignore that stuff because it's negative space, but the top of your head takes up a lot more room than people realize.  Hopefully this is the only reason the head looks strange, but it could be that it's just too wide.  Or perhaps her hips and shoulders aren't wide enough.  I'm really hoping that the problem isn't that the heads too big all around, because that could be tricky to fix.  It's really common for people to think that because the anatomy of something is exaggerated that there is no rules, but that's not actually true. The rules are distorted, but not broken, it's all relative to itself.  So just putting a large head on a small body is going to look out of place, other things need to be adjusted.  What exactly gets adjusted depends a lot on style but the proportions will be different.  Her arms are a bit short, in reality the inner elbow is about the same place that the ribcage ends and when your palms are resting against your thighs the fingers are going to hit about halfway.  Normally when adjusting anatomy of things legs and arms get adjusted at the same time so they match.

I'm not really a fan of deflection animations in busts, I think pixel sprites are just too small for it, but you could tweak it to be a little better.  I'm assuming that you want a breath and not a bounce.  You're going to need things a bit more subtle than they are now.  Try something known as sub-pixeling.  It's a fairly advanced pixel technique, but it works best on things like this where a full pixel of movement is too much and one less pixel would make the movement nonexistent.  You'll want to google a tutorial, but the basic idea is that instead of moving something by one pixel you spread out the in between shades.  Kind of like smudging instead of moving.  In other words, move the spacing on bands of shading around a little, perhaps deform the shape of the bust, move nothing wholecloth, just shift things a little so it looks like it moved halfway.  Since it's breathing you might want to imply a very slight motion to the sides since lungs expand out too not just up.

Lunarflame

Ice Elf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm O.O Wow. -pulls out pencil and paper; taking notes- mkay. I don't feel that its rude and you don't come off as cranky. I was genuinely wanting to know since she was the first sprite I made but she did look a bit (ok not a bit but alot) off. I hope you get to feeling better soon and thank you for the analysis. I'll rework her and see if I can't fix those pesky problems on her. :D  

A-Moonless-Night

WINTER IS COMING
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Crunchino I'm seeing a bit of a perspective issue with the cliff tiles. The bottom tiles are quite flat, whereas the cliff edges are a bit steeper. The variation of the cliff bottom with the grass poking up kind looks like a cliff overhang peeking over the top, rather than the bottom of a cliff; I think if you rounded it more the other way, that wouldn't be a problem.

Some of the rocks have very obvious purple shadows, which don't fit with the rest of the tiles. Have you traced some things from XP?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think the colorfulness could be fine but this design isn't working.  Everything is trying to grab the same amount of attention and there's no visual flow so the information is getting lost.  What information is going to be the most important on this page?  Is there and order to look at the things on the screen that would make things easier to quickly comprehend?  Try adding in a little negative space and change the direction of that side text so it isn't working against the visual flow, that should help.  Sadly I am quite bad at ui's so I can't give better advice.  Sorry!

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
@Sugar ZooZoo I think it's not too bad.  The bubbles are the most distracting part, I think if you remove those or sufficiently soften them, you'll be fine.  The candy-colored MAIN MENU is hard to read and actually looks out of place with the other elements.  If you wish to do research, there have been a lot of sailor moon games over the years with menu screens you can look for.  I would imagine some of the other big series like Nanoha or Pretty Cure have had video games, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.  Games like Catamari Damacy or Cooking Mama might be in the same design neighborhood too.  

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
As for me, I've been working on the 3D characters.  2 steps forward, one step back.  I decided that the previous characters looked bad from side view, the males looked too much like the females and the topology could be better.  Unfortunately, the best way to solve this is to go back and restart from the template, so I've discarded the previous models I finished and I'm going to start over again with something better:

emra_typeH.png

What do you think so far?  

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
AcetheSuperVillain, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Ok, so I prefer the larger size and resolution of MV's maps, but I can't stand the extreme chibi aspect of MV's sprites.  I'm toying with the idea of using Ace's generator for sprites and then just upscaling them.  Here are two sets of screenshots, comparing a basic knight character in both versions.  It shows front and side views.  I prefer how the Ace version looks, but before I commit to this I want to see if other people think it looks okay--I know it's not perfect (the difference in resolution is apparent), but good enough to get away?  Or do you think it's a huge eyesore?   

Test3_MV.jpgTest3_Ace.jpgTest1_MV.jpgTest1_Ace.jpg

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It looks a little blurry but I don't think it looks bad.  What method are you using to upscale?  You might be able to get a clearer look if you use a different algorithm.  Check out this app if you haven't yet:  Lots of upscaling options.

I think the biggest hurdle for upscaling these sprites is that a lot of people know what they normally look like, so there's going to be an expectation.  People who normally wouldn't notice the blurriness are going to notice.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Using GIMP.   I'll try that program and see if i can find anything that looks better.  Glad you think it looks okay though.

Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
If you're upscaling in Gimp, you can set the Scaling method to "None" (instead of Linear, Cubic, Sinc) to avoid blurring.  It also works better to scale in whole numbers, in this case x2 instead of x1.5  

However, I'm not sure VX chibi is any better than MV chibi.  Depending on your level of skill and commitment, the best way would be to find a size you like and make the graphics yourself.  If you're interested in a least resistance method, my preference would be to put the MV style head on a x2 scale VX body or scale the MV body y axis x2 and leave the head alone.  

Here is a video tutorial on making taller style sprites from characters generated in MV:  

The 2k3 style sprites don't bother me as much as the MV sprites, and they were designed to be 24 wide, so easier to scale up.  And there are zillions of them on the web, charas project even has a character generator.  That might be worth looking into.  

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I'll try the "None" scaling method, thanks!  There's no way I'm skilled enough to make characters myself...plus we're talking loads of characters, even npcs...I definitely want to use some kind of generator, even if it means I just have to quickly upscale it before it's usable.   

The VX chibis may not be ideal, but they don't look too bad to me...the MV ones I REALLY can't stand, or else I'd just use them for simplicity's sake.

I will check out that tutorial too, thank you. :)

Lunarflame

Ice Elf
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok I tried tweaking her a bit. Lengthening her arms and pulling her hair up to reveal a forehead, even trying to put a bit more shades in there. I did take away the breathing animation for now. How's it look now? 

Lu without bandanna-apron.png

Knayter

*teleport behind you* Nothing personal kid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Viet Nam
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Some tree i edit with RPG Maker XP RTP

Feel free to use it, as long as you credit Knayter or Dao Xuan Phi (my irl name)

Tree 2.png Tree 1.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Name

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@AcetheSuperVillain thanks for your insight. the bubbles were added last. originally they weren't part of the design, but i felt it needed something extra. i may just remove them. thanks for the examples. i think imma change the menu title too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That sigh when a roaming chicken blocks your move event :/
Poryg is still alive, just did somrthing else to kill the time he cannot be productive. Minecraft - 10 tips & tricks on improving your base defence against pvp.
"Ugh, so tired of these rivers and lakes." *squints and looks off into the distance* "Oh cool! Is that a waterfall?"
Why is it so hard to accept existential stoicism? To insist stoics must be deterministic is like insisting God couldnt create evolving animals. Drop the dogmas and concider the compatible mechanics
I just had a duel at Duel Links, and started right away with a fusion monster... felt like an actual yugioh main character :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImpLover666