Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Should I go for 8 frames or stay with 4?
26tkl0PLbmlnlLIpa.gif

Edit: Female

3oriO1hakhCCdIGiyI.gif

otherwise some shading fixes and then off to a animate another direction.
"female pretty much just mirrors the male"

animationframes.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't think you need a higher frame count on a sprite that small.  I don't like the spread out stance in the walk, could you try altering it so that the feet are under the shoulders or even narrower for the girls?

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm Thanks, I do prefer the wider stance on the male template, but doesn't work out that well with female.

I shortened the stance for female.

3o7TKtvJ1fYrBRlKXS.gif

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
Still, don't trash the wider stance one if you decide to get a luchadorgal!  I mean, an epic hand to hand combat lady might trample/take all the space she can!

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I'm not touching the idle frames, movement however was kinda wide.

slight update.

l2JhOMfegF9LZtEU8.gif
l2JhziPptsdgqDPY4.gif

Just testing out my template

alex wip.png

jjbones123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone! :)

Was hoping to get some feedback on this animated sprite I made for an RPG i'm making. This is the first time i've ever made an animated sprite and while it's not as good as some of the amazing stuff other people in this thread have made, I liked how it turned out.I even included the frames:

What do you think? Any improvements that could be made??

imporved front sprite.gif

frame 2.5.png

frame 1.png

frame 3.5.png

Name

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Thanks for the advice. I love color, but I should tone it down a bit. Thanks for the advice!

Amysaurus

Digital/Pixel Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Welp. I ended up finishing my recreation of MV's female generator in black and white, realized that I wanted a version in color as well, then ended up having to recolor each part after I'd already merged down all of the lines and colors. So, that was, uh... "fun".  :D

It has been a huge pain in the rear, but here's a bit of what the Randomize button has to offer now: 

YPws4bc.png

ptzPL09.png

I've been trying to take it slow with the male generator parts, but so far I'm pleased with how everything is going.  :)  

@jjbones123 I think that animation really works for how simple the color palette/design of the character is. The bottom of the foot looks a bit odd to me at the moment, but I think that's because I'm seeing it move on a green rectangle rather than over a ground tile. 

Soleillu6

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hi all! What do you think of the unicorn sprites that I've made for my game? As this form suggests, these are WIPs. (The pink unicorn will have a horn and moon symbol on her head, I've just been busy with other things.) But I would love some early feedback, since I will be using lots of monster/magical creature girls in my game. Thanks in advance!

$001-1UniTest%(6).png$001-1UniTest2%(6).png

Corresponding busts under spoiler tag:

Actor3-1.pngActor2-1.png

jjbones123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Amysaurus Thank you. :)  And yeah, the feet were the hardest part for me to animate, but I do think it looks better when walking across tiles. (I literally just copied and pasted them from my sprite sheet for that GIF. :p

@Soleillu6 I think they look good. :)  The use of bright colors gives it a sort of magical quality to. 

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm Thanks, I do prefer the wider stance on the male template, but doesn't work out that well with female.

I shortened the stance for female.

It looks like they're walking with their legs spread out. If this is the female template, I suggest putting the leg in front of one another, like a model walking a runway. They simply walk a straight line with their feet, this gives that feminine appearance.

giphy.gif

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Celianna Runway movement is very controlled, they actually have to practice walking like that.  

It's also not a very comfortable way to walk so I've been told. 

But doesn't mean I won't use your criticism to improve tho.

No idea why I'm redoing 2k/3s rtp but here's the female hero.

rpg2000_female_hero1.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A runway walk is exaggerated but it is closer to a normal female walk than the exaggerated masculine walk your sprite currently has.  To be honest I think the current female walk would be perfect for the male sprite and I personally would go much further with the female version.  You're right, with a runway walk they either place each step exactly in front of the other or they overlap it so that their legs cross.  A normal walk is staggered but if you were to look at someone head on you'd see some overlap.  If it helps think about footprints.  For a girl they'd be a squiggly line, for a guy they're more like two lines.  There are times when a girl will walk more like a model (while wearing heels for instance) or walk more like a guy (pregnancy), but in general it's going to have the slight crossing in the front.

She's looking good.  Seeing her dressed makes her shoulders look a bit strange.  It could be that they're a bit broad but I think the problem is how the arms hang.  Women's arms hang differently than a man's.  Men don't have hips so their arms can go straight down and not hit anything, but if a girl's arms did that she'd have bruises.  They're a little turned outwards which puts a natural bend to the resting state, making the upper arms hug closer to the torso and the lower arms stick out slightly, to swing clear of the hips.

I suspect the current walk style is influenced a lot by DBZ, but try to remember that it's a very stylized show.  When copying something that's stylized it's easy to exaggerate that stylization without understanding what's being exaggerated and why and so add in flaws and repeat errors.  Especially if you haven't mastered the basics before attempting the style.  If you keep that in mind while you work you may be able to overcome the tendency, but you may want to err on the side of realistic when things aren't looking quite right.

Rukiri

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm Thanks.

Gave the template wider hips, I should go for a 8-frame animation but... don't have time for 8-frame otherwise I'd stylize each character

I'll stick with 4, playing with the actual step frames but here's the in between frames.

animationframes.png

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Hey everyone!

Could someone please help me with my perspective problem? So, I'm not an artist nor experienced in pixel art, but I'm trying to create a furnace with POP tiles and the flue (? the top of the furnace) is giving me a hard time. This is what I have so far:

furn1.png

How do you know what angle you have to use to make this look right? In my eyes it looks weird to simply use the top view. It somehow looks off when putting the furnace next to the other tiles. It makes the furnace (and the chimney) seem too long:

furn2.png

What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated!

[EDIT]

Oh, well, look what I figured out after asking here for help *cough* *cough*

furn.png

Now, does this look better to you?

[EDIT 2] More Progress. I changed the top from bricks to metal sheets and corrected the perspective once more. Not sure yet if I'll leave the rivets, probably not:

furnfin1.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What's throwing you off is the slope at the front.  A 45 degree angle is right if the front was completely vertical, but since it leans back you'd be seeing more of it.  I think a 2-1 rise on that line would be better.  I don't know that you'd see the back slope at all.  I really like the metal, that looks much better than the brick.  I like the rivets.

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Thank you, Sharm! I totally didn't noticed the issue with the front until you told me. Then I couldn't stop looking at it... Your hint with the 2-1 line was very helpful, too.

Look what I came up with :)

New and old furnace side by side:

furnsbs.png

And - to better see the result - in the editor:

furnfin2.png

I think it looks way better this way. I guess I just have to place the rivets differently, now that I'm looking at it.

Thanks again!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Much better!  The whole thing looks really cool, love the coals.

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Thank you. I'm glad you like it!

But all credit goes to VexedEnigma for I actually just edited his tiles. The ones I make from scratch don't turn out that good looking. Hm, next time I have trouble I should visit this thread sooner :) You were a great help.

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Lestroth - o____o .... T___T gawd, you make my pixel art look so crapy. I wish I could get my metalif surfaces looking like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Been slightly struggling with developing the latest chapter, I think I will downscale my ambitions and make it more linear.
No internet for 2 weeks. Thank goodness for phones. :kaoluv:
Megumi_Aramaki wrote on Takeshi014's profile.
Here you go! Enjoy mapping!
Megumi_Aramaki wrote on Takeshi014's profile.
Valley can be done by outside mountain town tilesets I will send you right away!
Hi everyone! I've relased a demo about my new game in "Games in Development". Someone interested? :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hendrix_Za