Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, now you've got him in the right position, now you just need to change the angle.  Instead of seeing the top, we should now see the bottom of things, and all the curves will be with the center up instead of down.  So the cape needs to be longer at the edges and shorter in the center.  We'd probably see the guy's heels.  The cape is no longer hanging either, so the drape is going to be very different.  If you shade it to imply the shape of his body it should look better.  You'll be seeing less of the shoulder pads, you should narrow those.  The eye ridge on the helmet is going to curve up slightly.  You may want to show the face instead of having a shadow where the eye is,  helmet wouldn't be casting a shadow there anymore.  Change the angle of the feather in his helmet too.  Like the cape it's no longer hanging, so moving it away from the helmet at the loose end makes sense.  Like the top stroke of a 1 so it sticks out a bit.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Any mistakes before I continue with the next expression? 

ejsqGpY.jpg
This time I want to draw so that the head position fits the expression. Damn can't explain it in English properly^^

Example: If somebody is surprised, the head goes up, the eyes are widening, the eyebrows are lifting up, the mouth looks like an 'o'

Something like this I want to do for this faceset. However before I draw the next expression any tips for improvement? I'm still unsatisfied with her eyes, it looks like she's looking at her feet, instead to the viewer, but I'm sure I can fix this problem myself (as well as some shading mistakes, like in the hair), but are there other mistakes I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance! :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The neck of the image on the right looks incredibly thin.  This may be the style you are going for, but it does seem thinner than the one on the left.

Seriel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Any mistakes before I continue with the next expression? 

ejsqGpY.jpg
This time I want to draw so that the head position fits the expression. Damn can't explain it in English properly^^

Example: If somebody is surprised, the head goes up, the eyes are widening, the eyebrows are lifting up, the mouth looks like an 'o'

Something like this I want to do for this faceset. However before I draw the next expression any tips for improvement? I'm still unsatisfied with her eyes, it looks like she's looking at her feet, instead to the viewer, but I'm sure I can fix this problem myself (as well as some shading mistakes, like in the hair), but are there other mistakes I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance! :)
Looks perfect.

I love your art style <3

This is one of those moments  when I wish I had artistic talent.... :/

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
it does seem thinner than the one on the left.
Optical illusion I think, I measured it right now, they have the same diameter. However I think you still point a mistake out, her collar on the right one is too tight. It's more loose/wider on the left picture. :)

Thanks Jackus, sadly I think my style fits the 08/15 style which most animes today have. So my style is nothing special if you look at it that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@BCj put blood arround him or stand him arms.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shiroi Akuma:  You've got her head tilted down so for her to be looking at the viewer she has to be looking up like she is in the first image.  It seems like where you're having the problem is figuring out how to show more whites of the eyes for a more shocked look while keeping the gaze where you want it.  Don't rely so much on the art that you've seen before, think it through.  She needs to be looking up so put the whites of the eyes a the bottom.  Showing more whites in the eyes at the top is going to change where she's looking.

Bonkers

I haven't seen you since the plague.
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Learning a new style for the IGMC, Vex's Pop Horror City.  Converting my wheel chair bound protagonist over.  
9Fyaqtf.gif

Legs/chair still seem a bit off to me.

XEltKEx.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
On the front view the legs are too narrow, his feet are too small, and there's no indication at all where his thighs end and his shins begin.  It should be shaded to show that he actually has a lap.  On the side view you should raise his legs up one pixel so they don't look like they're dragging on the floor.  His chair is very strange, it looks like those wood ones from the 1800's.  Isn't Jayce a more modern character?

Bonkers

Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
On the front view the legs are too narrow, his feet are too small, and there's no indication at all where his thighs end and his shins begin.  It should be shaded to show that he actually has a lap.  On the side view you should raise his legs up one pixel so they don't look like they're dragging on the floor.  His chair is very strange, it looks like those wood ones from the 1800's.  Isn't Jayce a more modern character?
Yes he is modern/Sci fi. Thank you for the feedback. I'll work to correct him tonight. =3

I'll save this chair for use in a different time period.  I didn't even think the color choice would be considered wood as it is the same material used for leather in the edited character.  This is what I am trying to learn by going away from ACE and DS styles, what is the correct color choice for this situation?  I agree that his lap and sitting posture look wrong on the frontal and am still considering how to fix this.  I'll get an edited version up soon.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, it was less the color choice and more the bulkiness of it.  The seat of a modern wheelchair is really just a sling, so you wouldn't see much of it from the front view and there wouldn't be a back part of the legs.  The back side goes way too low too.  The older chairs looked more like wooden recliners with full leg support all the way down.  They must have been a huge pain to wheel around.

The best way to give him a lap is with lighting.  Make the tops of the legs brighter and it'll be more obvious that they're angled differently than the bottom half.  Guys don't have hips so don't bother making the legs any wider near the top, keep them even all the way down.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have some sprites that I'd like quality-checked (with visual examples) but they're for IGMC so can't/don't want to post it here. Anyone can help me out in a pm?

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Did the next expression, can I get another critique? The last one was rather helpful :)

cPKGPkd.jpg

Very good, but she also looks significantly older.  Try moving her nose and mouth up a bunch.

After Sharms critique:

shkDUSk.jpg
Made her eyes a bit bigger (you can see more eye white now). Moved mouth and nose a bit up (anything more would look odd), changed the chin (it's smaller), changed the neck hair.

Things I notice, need to improve the hair shadow, we see her more from frog view, but the shadow is almost like from front view. So the arch from the shadow is wrong on the sphere, I think. Will change it later. Still tips for improvement? :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Very good, but she also looks significantly older.  Try moving her nose and mouth up a bunch.

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, I slept and made several changes. Took a bit longer, because I recorded the whole drawing process^^ so it was rather laggy. However, still something I'm not aware of?

GejDLk9.jpg

YNQ95Xl.jpg
One last question: Which is better: Face in shadow or not? 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Something's odd about the far eye.  I'm not sure if the corner is too sharp or the iris is lower than the other or what, but it looks odd.  Overall much better, you fixed the bulby head issue that I hadn't even mentioned.  I like both versions, the first matches the others better and the second looks more dramatic.  I suppose it depends on how you intend to use it.

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yeah, I see there is this sharp angle, the iris needs to be lower, because of the perspective. I mostly ask for critique so that I can continue on every piece faster, of course I can do a several breaks and come back later to see my own mistakes, but that would take much longer. However then the risk is that I will overlook my own bad habits. 

I made a few small changes, do you think I fixed it? 

The upper one is before the lower one is after.

paladin_ponytailgirlb2_by_shiroiakumasama-d91rs4c.png

paladin_ponytailgirlc_by_shiroiakumasama-d91rstx.png
Anyways, if you still see something I can fix it later anyways, I will now draw several expressions :)

Gamer_Omlett

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello fellows,

I'm rather new to the forum, noticed this thread and how helpful you all seem in helping each other overcoming hurdles in your creations.

Currently I feel I'm in need of help ;*(

I'm currently trying to get a log(for a tileset) that serves as a bridge. I'm trying for a 16bit art vibe. I find my art is to blurry - tried to go the other way and it was to pixelly. Would appreciate some critiques or advice - have three different mockups I've created in my attempts at a good log.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XaEQl86.png[/IMG]

Haven't made them throw shadows - Since I'm still in concept stage.

Cheers,

G Omlett

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Shiroi Akuma:  Looks good!

@Gamer_Omlett: 16 bit?  As in SNES era?  You should stick to pixel art then, stop using the brush tools.  All of your logs have way too many colors for 16 bit.  Will you be making all the tiles or is this bridge meant to match up with an existing tileset?  Knowing which one you're trying to match would be a bit help.

Bonkers

Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Tried to fix up Jayce.  I think I managed to follow Sharm's feedback.

JUCkXVG.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Started work on the fishing Mini-Game
The Dark Toon art style is now available as Steam branches. (Both for the main game and the demo)
Battle.jpgCaptain.jpgCutsene.jpg
There are 2 versions. One only affects combat, cutscene, and portraits. The other one changes more.
So, technically, the game now has 7 versions on steam.
Arcade-Style RPGM Games? RM2k3 Game Jam & Synth-Retro Music by Azakaela | RPG Maker News #39

Just evented my first minigame, no plugins~ :kaojoy:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaterIce455