Platsch

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@ChrAndGow Sorry, i need only a complete walking sprite (down, up, left, right).
Have tried it over Resource Requests.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm , thanks as always for your insight. As mentioned, the shading was wonky, basically because I wasn't using the DB32 color pallete as I wanted to. I can see the duck feet you mentioned, but trying to fix it is making my head hurt, I'm having problems seeing how to convey a front and back step in such a small canvas.

The canvas is another problem. Since I'm working on 16 pixels, I choose a head size of 4 because one of 3 always made my sprite uneven, either 1 pixel to left or right, never truly "centered". This broke the legs since I had to draw two lines in the middle to split the legs apart, but when making the steps one line vanishes and I must make use of shading (?) to fix it.

Speaking of shading, I never know when it is too much or too little. And speaking of colors, I'm having a hard time coming up with a good skin tone in DB32 (sprite isn't made with DB32 - yet - , by the way), even though I know it must be there and obviously I'm doing something wrong.

T1-1betafront.gif db32_v1_pal64x32.png

Pixel art is indeed an art.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Do the feet brighter than the legs. They're flat so they're catching more sunlight. I think this version looks better. I think the skin tone you've got right now looks just fine. If you don't like the greenish brown you could shade with the orange. It's a bit bright but it looks pretty good once you have the hair and clothes on. I understand your frustration with the center line. Sometimes I deal with the double thick center, and sometimes I deal with it being off center to keep the middle looking clean. Generally it depends on how I'm doing the nose for which I end up using. Don't worry about it too much, it's not something that most people are going to really notice.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Happy Wednesday.

So I could not figure out how to get the casting aura in his hand to repeat over 3 frames. That's just what I decided to leaves it at, time take a break at because it's late. I'll have another go at him some other time down the road. I'm getting closer to having a complete SV Battler sheet. It's not pretty, but I can touch it up later. Just getting some of these basic poses to look right is tough.

Last edited:

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Dear pixel art overlords, your humble subject needs your help!

As I edited a lot of Vexeds POP! tileset, it dawned upon me that while I absolutely love her style, I'd rather have my own unique tileset with a little bit more detail and a little less contrast. So I started making my own tiles a few months ago and I'm slowly getting better. I'm at the point where I don't need to borrow colors anymore, but I struggle with highlighting colors and probably dark tones/contrast.

Problem.png

This room is nearly done, but I need feedback how I can improve upon this. The second floor is still a placeholder. The colors are borrowed from another game. And the flames use POP!-colors.

I have the feeling that I should use a different color for the spikes on the floor and then maybe use this color for the border of the second floor, but I'm not sure which color I should choose. Maybe the wall needs a different color for the border at the bottom as well?

I'd like to keep the dark and muddy tone of this room if possible but of course I'm open to changes :)

Please help me with my color-problem and I shall provide e-cookies!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A low saturation brass doesn't look too shabby and helps bring out the boarders on the balconies. This set is really quite lovely. I'm surprised you need any help at all.

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Lestroth I love what you're doing there. I can only give you what stands out to me visually, but the second story floor could be a smidgen brighter and probably not lose your "gloomy" feel you're going for. But honestly that looks awesome, :rock-left: more goals for me to set.

Edit #1: Happy Thursday.

I have been having a go at getting some shapes for the interior assets. I have been working on walls, roof borders, and other knick knacks. I should be ready to start taking stabs at texturing soon.

Last edited:

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Thank you both for your recommendations and the kind words! You really picked me up again. I was pretty down lately because sometimes I have such a hard time with the tiles and the coloring. Maybe I overthink things too much. Sometimes I even feel kind of dumb because I just can't see which color fits the other...

In the case of this dungeon, your tip with the brass, Sharm, really did the trick for me. Now somehow everything fits together.

Now that you mentioned it I also see what you mean, Noobk. I already lightened up the balcony a wee little bit and definitely will keep in mind to use ligher colors, for I'm not sure if I will keep that ground tile.

This is how it turned out - for now:
Problem.png

Thank you again, here is your e-cookie!
[Lactose free e-Cookie]

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lestroth , you're doing an amazing work! Really impressive. What color palette do you use, if you allow me to askk?

@Noobk , I really dig the way your tileset, without much texture, convey so much information with so few pixels.

@Sharm, again thank you for your advices and tips. I've started in pixel art a way back, stopped and now I'm returning. I know I have plenty to do, and learn, and it is great to see there's people friendly enough to provide feedback.

Speaking of which, This is the side frames of my base template. I don't know if I should alter the legs 1 pixel up/down to better differentiate the left to the right one, or if only the shading is enough. I already knwo the back (left) hand will have to move a little, the way it is now it is just stuck, as if immobilized (or holding an invisible object). Anyway, any further criticism is welcome. And, at least with the base template done, I can now move to make the tileset proportional to the character, and/or start working on the characters themselves.

T1-1sbeta.gif

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Pine Towers

Thank you very much! Well, to be honest, I don't use any color palette but rather choose my own colors. When I started doing pixel art I looked up a color palette the SNES supposedly used and tried to stay true to that one. As a starter I had trouble finding several colors. Actually I am still unable to find a light brown color in this very palette - but back then I was convinced that the SNES could display a light brown, so I went ahead and just took the colors from screenshots of a few SNES games. Out of curiosity I tried to look up those colors via backwards search and I couldn't find them neither! On another pixel art forum someone wrote that it's not important to use a pre defined color palette. The result is what matters. Isn't that true?

My approach now is to use a maximum of 5 to 6 shades per color for one tile/element. Meaning that when I use brown for wood I only use up to 5 (or rarely, if ever 6) colors, but if the wood is flanking a grey brick wall another 5 to 6 colors are used for that wooden brick tile. Plus I'm reusing the colors I already used for various other things.

Not sure if this can be called pixel art after all, for you should use as few colors as possible and I'm just doing what works for me.

Do you use a color palette? I feel like I've seen the skin color of your sprite a thousands time while looking for my cursed light brown ;)

Celianna

Tileset artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't decide on a colourscheme.

Personality traits: fierce and outspoken, can be a bit blunt and crass sometimes.

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
@Celianna Personally I like the first one. But I think the one with blonde hair fits the personality traits.

Bradok

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
CharsetRevised.png

Revised original character. Made the sprite a tad taller to avoid that squished look, and changed the hair to a more standard cut and shade of brown.

Also lightened his skin color a bit, and revised the coloring of the clothing. As well as added a bit of uniform parting under the belt.

Added green to his eyes.

I also decided to take the gold completely off his uniform and replace it with silver/gray. It looks better I think.

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey I would like to know if the battler that I am editing is looking good...

That shield... I'm just not sure about it... What do you guys think?

Edit: re-uploaded the image because it vanished XD Thank you @Lestroth for your opinion, I really appreciate it. I knew that shield was weird! XD

Attachments

Last edited:

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Celianna I agree with callmedan. Personally I prefer the red hairs and one of the brighter eyes (if I could choose ;) ). Aren't red hairs associated with passion and strength? And bright eyes always have this determination in them.

But this is nitpicking. Your art is so lovely! It's really just a question of which colors to use.

@Guiguimu Unfortunately I can't help you with your sprite, but your shield looks like the light source is directly to the left of the character and somewhat in the background. If your lightsource is similar to other RM artwork (coming from above, slightly to the left) then the highlights should be somewhere in the middle of your shield. The edges should both be dark, unlike the left one right now which has the brightest color. The more in the background parts/things are the darker their color should be. Surely you'll find some reference pictures on google :)

Otherwise I really like the composition of your sprite. You are on the right way, keep it up!

[Edit]

@Bradok I'm not that experienced in sprite art, but the details of the trousers would benefit from a darker grey. I liked the trousers of your previous sprite better, to be honest. Apart from that I really like the base of your sprite :)

Last edited:

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I was making this for someone on the forums as a request, but I'm really starting to not like it :( . Its the first-ish sprite ive made without a base, and I think ive botched the shading on this first frame. I was wondering if you folks could give me your opinion on it. Am I just being too critical of it? Any and all critique is appreciated, thank you. :)
Wolf2.png

@Celianna - I like the second one, the brunette....cuz I'm brunette, and brunettes are smart and competitive >=3 !!!!.... which I am neither, so that's a stereo type...imma stop talking now TwwwT ....good work!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You've overworked it before getting general stuff right that's why the shading bugs you. Try starting with form, no outlines, no shading, just flat colors. When you've got that where you want it then add basic shading in large chunks. Clean it up, but don't detail it. Then, and only then worry about things like eyes, anti-aliasing, hair strands and other such details. Remember that each stage has to look good on it's own. If you can't do that you've relied too much on details to make it work. Most of all be consistent with your light source.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I am having a bit trouble with my long grass, bushes and such for my game. I need some advice to help make it fit in better with the castle, so any advice would greatly be appreciated.
WIP_Castle_Temple.PNG

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
A highly manicured garden like that wouldn't have unkempt grass, it would all be neatly trimmed. Other than that, what is bothering you about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made some sideview closets for MV!
You can find them in my MV resource thread.
People1.png & SF_People1.png added!!!!

Adventurer:
"Why your body looks like a bird?"

Stranger:
"Because I'm harpy"

Adventurer:
"Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof"

*Both dancing to Pharrell Williams song*
Stream will be live shortly with a make-up session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
negociant