Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Someone was talking about the grass, not working and so I was working at making it better. I'll post an earlier screenshot, to give you a better picture. That the trees were 'too bright' and that the grass had issues. (o_o) There are going to be times when these castle have over grown gardens and not as taken care of as they would have been. So, the grass has to look like it belongs there.
Castle_Updated.PNG

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Caitlin Personally I prefer your first screenshot. It looks cleaner and the garden looks more cared for - much like I would expect it to look for the ruler of a country. But if the king or the owner doesn't have enough money to keep the plants from growing, then it's the second screenshot. I would recommend changing the color of the higher grass more to the darker green from before. That would give more contrast overall. You could also try and darken the crown of the trees, because at the moment they look a little bit pale or even out of place, and the greens mash up too much (in my opinion).

But maybe someone with more experience can help you better with the colors.

Regarding the castle both do what they should, but again I prefer the castle in the first picture. The red roof looks a little bit odd.

Talking about trees. I could use some help again. I did my first tree and somehow I can't get it look like I want it to look. I'd like the right part of the crown to be more in the background, but when I color it darker it seems it loses its depth. Maybe I should just leave it as is?

Any advice is welcome!

tree.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Whenever I've got assets that don't quite match up, the first thing I do is play with the saturation levels.

@Lestroth I think the problem is that you have defined each and every leaf. This would naturally flatten things. You either need to go bolder with the shading to round it out again or break up the outlines and suggest the leaf shapes more.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
@Caitlin First one works for me too. As the front door garden should represent a lot of what the ruler have to offer and from the symmetry of the castle... errr... an asymmetrical display and garden in front of the door might be a bit of a display of a disorganized ruler or that ruler have to fire some gardeners or something ;)

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my world, there's a connection to nature that I am trying to add to the feel of the map. They have traditions of hunting to keep their connection to nature. There is a point to the possible disorganization and it's at the heart of the issue that is a huge problem for the world. Now, I started to create my battle backgrounds for my game and it's rather hard, since I have to parallax them. This isn't my first parallax map, but I think it's my first pretty good one, though.

Battle_Background_1.png

Noobk

Boo-Boo'Da'Foo
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Good to be back, been awhile since I have posted. I started nosing through my project and my old files to see where I left off. I had a map that as I created assets, I would throw them into a sheet and just get an idea for it's visual appeal combined with the other assets. Some of the assets are more refined than others, most of the others are just raw work and shapes with solid colors. It's just one of those screenshots that (hopefully) i'll look back at a year down the road and cringe, and give me Forest Whittaker eye.

Don't expect the map to make sense, it's just there for me to throw crap at it.

@Caitlin That looks fantastic, but I did notice one small detail at the roof of the building o_O. You left out the tiles that connect the railing at the center of it on the top. There is actually one thing I like about the grass as well, it throws off the symmetry of the map very nicely.

Edit*

For some reason the following two posts after Sharm's did not load for me and I did not see the replies until I posted. The parallax map looks good too! The first comment was about the map with the mansion

skeezixs1

Skeezixs1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok working on some face set but wondering if it is ok to model them off real life people or not? I know they need a little clean up and some touch ups but figured I would make sure this is ok to do.

test char.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That falls under personality rights. A person has the right to decide how, if at all, their likeness name or other elements of self can be used when commercially. Also even a famous person has a right to privacy. Basically, no.

I don't think this was working for you anyway. The look is extremely inconsistent.

skeezixs1

Skeezixs1
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bleh oh well will have to come up with another idea.

GhostWaffle

The ectoplasmic Waffle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I would like some advice on this Slime Mini boss thing I made for a game so any advice is appreciated as I'm kinda new to digital artwork. Slime.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your line weight is pretty random. If you're unsure of when to make the lines thicker and when they should be thin start by using them as another light source indicator.

Your color ramp is very straight. If you vary it a bit by changing things like the hue or the saturation levels it'll look a lot more interesting.

GhostWaffle

The ectoplasmic Waffle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks a lot I understand but I have somewhat of a mild tremor with my hands but I should still able to do that right. I do feel my artworks color is too plain and I had trouble thinking of ways to change that so thank you. Do you have some other tips for color since I am somewhat bad with them?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hue shifting is often done with the light source in mind. For example if the light is . . . green let's say, then the highlights would also be shifted towards green and the shadows would be shifted towards the opposite, red. Usually this means that the highlights are a warm yellow and shadows are a blueish purple, because of the color of sunlight.

Let's see, what else. I like to use lower saturation on the main color and highlights and more saturation on the shadows. I got advice once that it gives the shadows more depth without making them darker and it seems to be true.

Remember that color is extremely relative. With the right surroundings even a greyed out red can look green. So don't worry too much about making the grass green and the water blue and so on. That's not how color works. Use the color that works best for the thing in the context. I have a tileset where the water is a reddish brown, but because of the other colors I used, like the bright green grass and the periwinkle blue highlights, it actually looks like muddy water with a blue sheen. Since your slime is really reflective you could have something really wild as the highlight and shadows color and still have him look green. You can always go back and try something else if you don't like it, but don't be afraid to try.

That's the funny thing about art. It seems like you can divide things up and separate them to focus on one at a time, but it's all connected. Being able to think through how the change in one small thing would effect everything else as a whole is often the key to good art. So think it through. How does having a transparent body affect highlights? Shadows? Colors? Depth? Cast shadows? How is the light source light changed if it's shining through a thin part vs a thick one? If you then changed the light source location and color, what would that change? Would each part be highlighted in the same place or would it be completely different? How would that change all the colors used? How would it affect the outlines? What sort of scene it could fit into? Stuff like that.

My hands aren't very steady either. You can turn the weight dynamic off and add it back in separately by hand. I did that for a long time, still do fairly often. It's actually not that unusual.

GhostWaffle

The ectoplasmic Waffle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks a lot for that. I always though that's a shadow was just that a shadow a more saturated form of the same hue so I had trouble thinking through light would effect the image as a whole and even if I managed to think it through the color looked way too plain and one dimensional per se so your explanation on hue shifting really explained the thing for me. I'll definitely put my next image up here as well to get more advice on how to improve my art so thank you a lot!

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Sharm You always give this awesome tips. I can't express how precious it is for a newbie to hear all the theory you find with google in short understandable sentences of yours. Thank you very much!

I'm still struggling with trees in general and with "finding my style", but I wanted to show you what I've done with your help.

Tree1.png

Better than before for sure, but I still have to practise more :kaosigh:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the leaves! Very lush. Try having a little more fun with the trunk, push the stylization up a bit. A more playful and less realistic look would work well with the top.

Also thank you. I am really happy my critiques are helpful.

RocketKnight

Broke with expansive taste
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

Reference:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Woah. That's way bigger than I like to use pixel art for. Good luck! Try using some pitting texture to help ease the banding between the shades. Above all, use zoom! There are a lot of things that I'm seeing wrong that are easier seen and fixed up when you zoom in and make it look good up close as well as zoomed out. Things like stray pixels and uneven lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'll suggest you to enjoy even just for once some swordplay - then try to justify "switch weapon" actions. Magic will be more credible.
My minimap "works" but you see it is so laggy that I need to optimize it heavily. Tryna make a game here, not a slideshow.
I made some new balloon emotes for MZ.
Look them up in my MZ Resource Thread :)
Wow... For the longest time I thought, my game had a memory leak. I've been doing everything I can think of to optimize it. I was at a loss... Then today I tried a deployed version. Turns out the memory leak is MV running it.
:ewat:
It's not the biggest number ever, but I am so happy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Salamiko97