Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They tile well.  Your highlights and shadows adhere a little too closely to the edge making the edges look sharper and more jagged.  This is harder to explain with objects that are supposed to be flat.  They aren't supposed to be outlines, so don't treat them like that.  In some places it'll be thicker, in others thinner, just depending on where it's at and how it's reacting to light.  Also, a little hand done anti-aliasing would go a long way.

Shiroi Akuma

Shut up and take my Monet    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Want to make a faceset with bust. Clothing design is not final. However is the cropping etc, good enough for a bust? :o  I already see some mistakes.  :unsure: However i'm sure that I will overlook something.

jlIzKlI.jpg

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it'd be a good idea to see if you can find a picture of a real person in a similar pose.  Your proportions are all over the place and her breast's position should be affected by her arms being raised like that.  Loving the face though.  Cropping looks fine but it's hard to say without a mockup.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Lol, I stylized a real person for this one. The nude version looks okay, but I'm sure I'm not allowed to post here :D I think I need to fix the clothes.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, it's not just the clothes that are the problem.  I mean, her hand is about the same length as each section of her arms and even with anime proportions her head is way too big for her body, she looks to be only 4 heads tall.  That's so strange.  Is the real person a photo or someone who posed for you?  If it's a photo, maybe overlaying a grid on both the photo and the drawing will help you see things more clearly.

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
You are right, was late yesterday here. I changed a few aspects, what do you think now? I put underwear on her, so it's easier to see mistakes I did, I hope that's appropriate :unsure:    

IohZFyS.jpg

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, the head is now a good size for the body, but the other things I pointed out before are still an issue and the arms are too small for the head and body (the back arm might be long enough, but it's too thin). The bikini is fine. I really can't understand why you can't see the proportion problems yourself, since you clearly have the spacial awareness needed to see it. Maybe you've been staring at it too long. Try looking at the image upside down. When something's upside down a different part of your brain takes over and it can help you see problems. Maybe part of it is that you're subconsciously pushing things inward because you don't have enough width in the image?

Shiroi Akuma

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Due to certain circumstance I wasn't able to draw over a year, so I'm rather rusty. I will get unrusty, but it will take his time. 

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And thus I continued this tileset.

castletilesettest_by_lauraanimefanlein-d92iodz.png

WINDOWS!

I'm going for some kind of pixel art, but I still want to use more of the Photoshop functions in it, like transparency.
It will become a parallax set though

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The contrast does a lot for the tiles, they look better with the windows there.  The light on the floor is great but the light coming from the windows is too confined.  Sunlight doesn't go in only straight lines like that, it would be more diffuse, widen and dim and get fuzzier the farther from the window panes it got.  At a brief glance it looks like the windows have water running down them.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried widening the light coming from the windows, but I couldn't seem to get it to look just right. Will go back and try again though.

If you noticed, I darkened the light the further it is from the windows, but maybe I shouldn't have increased the saturation as well...

EDIT:

More like this then?

castletilesettest_by_lauraanimefanlein-d92iut5.png

It takes a bit of the color out of the tiles though.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I liked the effect quite a bit.  Try having the light come away from a window at a 45 degree angle or perhaps a . . . well, to steps down one step over.  Not sure what angle that is.  If you fade the edges a little too it'll probably look perfect.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I agree that a ~23 (that's the 2:1 thing you mentioned, yay maths!) degree angle might look better. Thanks for the input!

castletilesettest2_by_lauraanimefanlein-d92iyca.png

Sooooo... the 2:1 fan. Shortened it a bit, as it looks really really weird with the full length. Adjusted the reflections, but that might be not needed.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh yeah, that's much better.  Looks a lot more like light now.  I think the center bit should also be 2:1, there's no reason it wouldn't be the same and that dividing line was part of what made the original look so unnatural.

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I would need to add an overlapping area in the middle to get it look right? (not that noticable, but the beam near the center also follows the 2:1 in the beginning, but with a 4px width in the center, that's not a lot)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, not overlapping, just merged together.  It's not like you have two light sources, it's one light source with a bar in the middle.  Oh, you updated when I wasn't looking again.  I personally liked the 2:1 look better, but maybe I should back off and let someone else have an opinion.  ^_^

Omega Weapon

AKA Laura
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. I know you're great with pixel art. I don't mind you giving your opinion ^v^

Now to get some more wall decoration done, and some furniture.

Intention of the set: The evil lord's castle, who just likes black (marble) a lot. And I just like gothic architecture.

However, for a full gothic indoor tileset, I need to make bigger windows. And maybe a bit unconventional, but show faded vaults as well.

L.W. Flouisa

NumeroHex
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Edit: Oops, critted the wrong thing. I really like the color scheme, though I'm left wondering what the room is going to be used for. I'm not really sure whether it's intended for an epic fantasy or dark fantasy, as I'm more used to science fiction.

These are some villager graphics I'm working on.

!$villagermale.png

!$villagerfemale2.png

And this is what I'm considering for my main character.

!$armouredmalecomplete2.png

Still not real used to spriting yet.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@omegaweapon: I quite like the windows, looks nice!

I liked the light from the second picture the most, but I found the blue shine you had in the first picture very nice. I know, the blue light wasn't that realistic, but it had something eerie about it ^^

I found a little bit of time to work on the sprite I made with PandaMaru's base:

zlOoLF7.png

I'm still not a big spriter, so I really need advice on what I could do better before I make the other frames for this sprite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How do people even enjoy RGB keyboard and mouse lighting? It's distracting.
I've been getting into YuGiOh again!
Gameboy Tiles, Cure Writer's Block, Animations on Menu, Generate Tasks | RPG Maker News #40

How would you judge a game you played? Art/Graphics? Story? Gameplay?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mango_030