Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Started to Frankensprite a new character (original 2k3/2k Sprite was the RTP Samurai).

kamza_sprite_Mack.PNG
Kamza.PNG

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
If you're wanting a direct translation of the sprite you should look up samurai armor. It'll help you interpret what each piece is. The shoulder bits as cheek guards is not working, they absolutely still look like shoulder guards placed way too high. Partially because of the curves going in the wrong direction, partially because of the shading. I'll try to come back later and give it a more thorough review, I can't see it well on my phone, it gets blurry when I try to zoom in.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
(I have posted in the wrong location in the past, but I think I found the correct forum this time??)

As the title suggests, I haven't gotten to do pixel art in a very long time. The last time I did, I was editing RPG Maker XP sprites into DBZ characters, for a project that no longer exists.

Now however, I've rekindled my passion for pixel art, and have created a new, more anatomically correct base model to make other sprites off of. Because this is my first totally original sprite work, I'd like to discuss how I can improve upon what I already have.

Sprite 01.png

Thanks for taking the time to look at this! It's appreciated!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Robert-Character Creator Well, actually we already have a place for such things, so I'm moving your post there - the Resource WIP thread. No worries though, it takes some time to sort out the forums and what goes where.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Robert-Character Creator Well, actually we already have a place for such things, so I'm moving your post there - the Resource WIP thread. No worries though, it takes some time to sort out the forums and what goes where.
Thanks for moving it, I just wasn't sure.

The shoulders on the Royal sprite have been redesigned.
Sprite 01.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've got a lot of suggestions on how to improve the anatomy more. I hope it's helpful.

Usually if you're going to do a large head on a small body you'd use child proportions on the face to make it look less out of place. Because of hips female arms are structured differently. Narrow the shoulders, let the tops of the arms fall closer to the body, then at the elbows have the arms angle away from the hips. Keep a sharp transition between the neck and shoulders, there is no muscle that goes from the top of the throat to the edge of the shoulders so there's no reason for a gentle curve there. Allow space for a forehead between the tops of the eyebrows and the hairline. Female breasts aren't centered and squished to the middle like that. Think of them like partially filled water balloons, that should help you understand the shape and the way they hang and move. Let the nipple be more towards the bottom outside edge like you have on the male sprite.

I like a bunch of the little details that often get ignored, like the top muscles on the hips.

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've got a lot of suggestions on how to improve the anatomy more. I hope it's helpful.

Usually if you're going to do a large head on a small body you'd use child proportions on the face to make it look less out of place. Because of hips female arms are structured differently. Narrow the shoulders, let the tops of the arms fall closer to the body, then at the elbows have the arms angle away from the hips. Keep a sharp transition between the neck and shoulders, there is no muscle that goes from the top of the throat to the edge of the shoulders so there's no reason for a gentle curve there. Allow space for a forehead between the tops of the eyebrows and the hairline. Female breasts aren't centered and squished to the middle like that. Think of them like partially filled water balloons, that should help you understand the shape and the way they hang and move. Let the nipple be more towards the bottom outside edge like you have on the male sprite.

I like a bunch of the little details that often get ignored, like the top muscles on the hips.
These are all extremely helpful! I used my own body as a general rule for the male, but I know next to nothing about female anatomy. I asked my sister to help, but there's only so much you can look at without being naked... which is... yeah. The reasoning for the large heads is that RPG Maker's sprites are very small, and if I wanted to have better scaling, the heads would lose most of their small details. I simply chose conservation of detail over reality.

As a matter of fact, I already knew about the arm and hairline issues. I had too much trouble making the arm fit with the shoulder properly without breaking multiple bones, but I'll give it another shot. For the hairline, I just placed more hair because I assumed females would have more hair, so the hairline isn't actually visible, being underneath her bangs.

I'll edit this post to include an updated sprite when I've made the changes.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm I wasn't looking for an exact translation. And currently I was just frankenspriting a red armor spirite with the shoulder/head of the evil knight Mack Sprite. Originally I was going to remove the shoulder pieces but they cover part of the helmet and I am not yet good enough to recreate the parts of the helmet that the high shoulders were covering up.

I'll post the original dark knight and the other that I was using to create my above. Thank you for the suggestions!

Caitlin

\(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, I've started up my world map, since I lost the other one and wasn't exactly too happy with it... anyway. I thought I'd get some feedback on the icons that I am using. Two methods of possible use. 1. One icon is the first arrived, while the other one is the totally complete icon or one icon is for an area not, yet, found and the other one is located. I am leaning towards one, but I am more concerned in making them the best that they can.

World_Map_I.png

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So this was the progress of Frankenspriting.

upload_2017-3-20_21-54-28.png upload_2017-3-20_21-56-19.png
=

Currently I am working around with the colors to make them more like the 2k3 Samurai... but if those high shoulder guards don't work I'll have to go back to the drawing board. I left them because it seemed like a hassle to remove them as I would have to fill back in part of the helmet... and I am not a sprite by any means. :-/

upload_2017-3-20_22-2-34.png

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've actually finished it now. Here's the updated sprites.

Sprite 01.png

Robert-Character Creator

Waiting for Replies
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've created a new set for boys and girls, to go with the adults. It looks odd, and I think it needs work, but it's a start.

Sprite 02.png

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just can't get this right! I'm satisfied with the male sprite for now, and have already started to work on actual characters (fixing some minor details with the shading).

But the female sprite... With a 16 pixel width, I just can't convey the idea of breasts! Tried shading them, but the arms get on the way in a way I still haven't figured out how to make it look good. Maybe putting clothes (female clothes) the sprite doesn't look so flat-chested...
Fem_Front.gif

atasuke10

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Trying to make my own battlers with the holder format.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Pine Towers Go ahead and let the bust overlap the arms. Sometimes when you work small you have to exaggerate things. You can also give her a smaller waist. Her hips start too low, she should broaden out under the waist, not below the pelvis.

Last edited:

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Sharm , always a charm. Thanks for the input, will work on it.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making a custom tileset but my quality is all over the place, I guess I'm growing unevenly as a spriter :p
Ingame:

Tiles:

Characters:

Last edited:

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The majority of the inconsistency I'm seeing is due to the use of black and if something has an outline. Adding a black outline to only the edges of the wall tiles and removing the interior black lines from the stone walls will help. Also put in a little anti aliasing on the yellow of the lava.

Nirwanda

Procrastimancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, I will, thanks! :)

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Kamza wasn't working out at this time so I changed gears to start working on Prince Durane (Main Character). Some recoloring, edits, and frankenspirting. I am not sure that the armor isn't to much...

upload_2017-3-25_14-51-52.png

300%
upload_2017-3-25_14-53-30.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I’m looking at the MZ full body images and I think Priscilla is taller than Reid...
Ami
--- Music Selection ---

M.Archer: It's Music Station,You can Change the Music as you like.
F.Healer: i want to hear the Romantic Music.
M.Fighter: Then,i want the Hard-Rock one!
(the Troll Song has played)
M.Archer: Hey,i hear this Music.
F.Healer: It's popular from Internet Music,i wonder who change it?
Hero: I change it.
Entire Party: YOU????
Had a soda for the first time in two months at my nephew's birthday party...it's amazing how once you are no longer addicted to soda, they actively taste like poison when you try to drink them. Couldn't even finish it.
"I have this story idea where human live in virtual world, so realistic that they forgot the actual reality."
"You mean like The Matrix?"
"What? No! The Matrix is a story bout a guy consuming drug and doin unrealistic shet!"
O_O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtletechie