Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Guiguimu The girl's pose is very stiff. Loosen it up a bit like you did for the guy's pose. Your contrasts and color ramps are a bit all over the place, try to choose them in a similar way, have a pattern to the changes in hue and saturation and such so that they look like they belong together.

@KaBlooZio Design and pixel work is good. I quite like it. The color choice is not working, probably because of the mustard colored background you're working on. If you change it to something neutral like a warm medium grey it's a lot easier to get the colors you're expecting. I think with this style a nice high contrast bit of shine for the hair would be fantastic and make the lack of shading look more like a design choice than something unfinished.

Guiguimu

Walking Disaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you @Sharm! Ok will work on the colours then...
About her shoulders...

Like this? Because if it is... Well, in the second outfit, the dress she wears has balloon-like sleeves. So that's why it looks stiffy... How could I do the sleeves better then? Could you give me an hint?
Sorry to be such a bother and thanks.

Attachments

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
It looks stiff because the legs and arms are touching along it's entire length. It's not just the way the sleeves make the shoulders look higher. Widen the stance a little so that the ankles aren't together and move the wrists away from the hips a bit and the shoulders should look better. One thing you can do to counteract the shoulder thing is exaggerate the tops of the sleeves even more, make the angles of where they meet the top of her shoulder and where they poof up obvious.

callmedan

Friendly Stranger
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
Hi! I'm editing sprite of a character in my game. But I'm not sure about her hair when she tied it up. Do you think the pony tail is too short? Please let me know if you see anything needs fixing :kaoswt2:
alicia.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Since the hair is curly down and straight up, yes, it's too short. That's not nearly as big of a deal as the hair color change and the huge difference in fringe.

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other

I really hate sides... Ironic I like doing side poses and animations tho...

Animation isn't my cup of tea but so far so good, the only thing done here is the outline as the pants won't be colored in until the animation is smooth. Got 4 more frames to fill in some gaps.

Last edited:

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Rukiri , I'm always impressed with what you can with so little colors and such a small canvas. Looks very good to me.

To everyone, how to deal with a (self-)restricted color pallete? I'm using DawnBringer's 32 color (see the thumbnail) and I'm having a really rough time now that I started with the tilesets. When using only 3~4 gray colors for both the stone floor and the stone walls, everything looks too much the same and this is messing up everything (so my stone floor room with stone walls that have a stone well is just a gray blob). Specially when your warrior uses a metal breastplate that alsos uses gray. Everything is blending and I'm seriously annoyed by this.

db32_v1_pal64x32.png

My characters uses (for now) a soft outline, but since I'm still making the props, I'm considering making them with a hard outline. I've hit a roadbump in the artistic development of the game and would really like some directions. Thank you.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, there's a few things that will help, but seeing exactly what you've got would be useful. One thing that helps is to use different sections of the gray to make your ramp, you can make quite a few different grays that way. Another is to vary the grey with some of the other colors. Color is very dependent on things like context and what's around it, so you can use those colors in more ways than you think. Lastly, changing up the texture size and detail level can make things look quite a bit different from each other. If everything has a pattern of approximately the same size and detail level it doesn't matter if each one is a different pattern and color, they start blending together. A higher contrast outline on the figure may be a good thing anyway, usually you want your characters to pop visually from everything else.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the quick reply, @Sharm , good to know the community have such a good mod around giving (good) advices on how to improve their games (and artistic skills).

Here's a screenshot of what made me angry:
blending blend blender.png ORIGINAL SPRITES DONUT STEEL LOL
The well is the same B tile object. The first stone floor is for lit/new rooms. The middle one would be the dungeon one (even if the stone wall still don't have the cracks on it) and the crude, dirt on on the third position was meant to be a cave. The walls have a outline (observable from the bottom part of the wall), but the warrior with his soft outline blends with the ground. The bearded man hair blends with the cave floor and his yellow robes... yeah...

I know I'm the one making something wrong. There's no way such a famous palette with whole 32 colors are the problem: My sprite-fu is the one that needs improving, but I don't know where to go from now.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I see the problem. This isn't something that an expanded palette would really do anything to help. What you've got is a style clash. Think about the games you know of that have sprites like this, with a faint or non-existent outline and key features that are only single pixels. All of the ones I've seen also had tiles that were mostly empty swathes of color with the details only on the edges where the sprite isn't going to be. If you're going to keep the tiles you need to embrace the bold outline look. You could also keep the sprites and try for minimalist tiles, but I should warn you that doing minimalist correctly is actually harder than a tileset with lots of details because it's success is completely dependent on your knowledge and application of artistic fundamentals.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What you've got is a style clash.
That's a funny thing to say, since I don't have a style at all. :eswt: But yeah, This became apparent after what you said about other games and the fact that I just sprited everything using only one guide (the DB 32 pallete), not putting them on mock-ups to see how each piece interacted with eachother.

If you're going to keep the tiles you need to embrace the bold outline look.
This is one thing I must try to do with my sprites, to see how they react when using a hard outline.

You could also keep the sprites and try for minimalist tiles, but I should warn you that doing minimalist correctly is actually harder
Yeah, discovered that when trying to make the dreadful grass tile.
Thank you again, @Sharm ! You're always helpful, and I''m always grateful.

Thank you for the advice too, @Rukiri , sometimes something need higher contrast too. Tip noted for future uses!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just because you haven't actively chosen a style doesn't mean you don't have a style. Every kind of art has a style. It can be pretty important to be aware of this for a few reasons. If it's similar to an existing style you can learn from them and not need to re-solve the same problems. Being aware can also help you to use the advantages of the style to it's fullest and avoid it's disadvantages. For example bigger eyes make it easier to make emotional connections. More focus on realistic bodies make it easier to tell deeper stories. Things like that.

LMichelle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm hoping to get some feedback on my stones/rocks. Left ones are mine, right one is RTP. Mine just look so... not rocky, too smooth. My dad asked if it was dragon poop D:
I've been working on this for some hours and can't seem to get it fixed. I tried making it less smooth but it still looks meh. Can someone give me tips? Or maybe even a small tutorial of how I should approach making rocks for MV (I've seen some pixel art vid's but their not detailed enough for MV..)?
upload_2017-4-26_17-37-45.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Your light source is indistinct and you seem to be outlining all of the different parts of the rock instead of using light and shadow to define them. For me the trick to rocks is making everything into flat planes and then detailing with texture and outlines after getting it looking right as flat sections of color. As always, references are a good idea to see how things actually work.

LMichelle

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you very much! I think it's already looking a LOT better! Light and shadow is definitely something I still have trouble with but at least the shape is a lot better! :)
upload_2017-4-26_19-39-7.png

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Much better! Now comes the fun part of details. Don't be afraid to let the dark and light edges be right next to each other, and be careful not to loose the hard look as you put more in. Sometimes it's okay to leave things simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

230 paths... roughly 250 light sources on the screen... One serious lag fiesta... But I finally got it all the screen at once. I guess I could have also just made an event to spawn each one in exactly the location I needed, but that's sooo much less fun. :LZSwink:
A wee radio thing I made months and months and months ago. 2020 has felt like such a long year. Maybe made this before 2020.IDK anymore.

Made this one much more recently.
Stream will be live shortly with a surprise session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunette