PixelHeart

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
@Sharm - Thank you sharm =) . I dont feel ashamed, Im humbled that you and others on here take the time to give us feed back! And its really been an asset in itself. Ed =3 .png

The red arrow was the first time I tried making an MV version of this character, back before I knew what banding was X__X . I know this new one I just made isint perfect either (looking at it now, I think the lighting for the shoulder armors is off, and maybe the top of the hair to :/ sigh...) but thanks to yalls advice, I know im getting better :) ! Thanks again, not giving up.

Thetra

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Deutsch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there, one week later I have done the Second Character! (yeay)
Hope you like the setup I did change the Grafic from Neril by Hand so its slight different to befor.
Happy for Feedback:
Here comes Neril and Shana:

Last edited:

jjbones123

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello everyone! :) Hope you're all doing well.

I myself facing a slight dilemma: I'm planning to upgrade my current project from RPG maker VXAce to RPG maker MV and because of this, I am redrawing my character sprites from 32 x 32 pixels to 48 x 48 pixels. Which is good because it allows me to add more detail and shading to characters.

However, no matter how many times I try, I just can't seem to make a sprite that I personally think looks good. I thought it might help to show fellow sprite artists in this forum my problem. So I salvaged 6 of what I considered to be the "best" (by comparison) attempts at remaking a sprite.

Above are 6 attempts at recreating the original VXAce sprite seen below. The character is a young boy (roughly 10-13 yrs) he's average build and wears a brown jacket on top. He's not supposed to be so "tubby" but I find it a struggle to distinguish the arms from the body and a little extra weight is fine.

A was the first design I created; which is why it's slightly wider than the others. It would serve as a template for the other five designs.

B, C and D are attempts at different arms and shoulders, but all use the same legs and feet. I'm not a huge fan of the legs and feet in these examples; they're a bit too generic if that makes sense? Like I see a lot of character sprites that have these kind of legs. Then again, I suppose they're popular for a reason...

E is my least favorite. While the feet stay true to the original sprite, it doesn't really make sense to see the sides of his feet if he's facing forward and I personally don't like how it looks.

F is one of my favorites (the other being D) I like the feet because they make more sense as he's supposed to be walking downwards, but the orangutan-like arms still bother me.

None of them are great, but which do you think could be made better if given some improvements? And what improvements could I make??

@Thetra I like it, I get a Fire Emblem (the character designs and medieval sword and shield) crossed with Final fantasy (all the belts) vibe from it. The only gripe I have is with the lady in the picture (I take it to be Shana). Under the right boob (one closest to Neril) the body seems to make a > shape underneath the boob, that doesn't seem right to me. Then again, my post is about how I have problems drawing human anatomy, so maybe it's nothing to worry about. xD I like her : 3 mouth though.

Attachments

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You're obsessing! It's okay, I do it too, but you're spending a lot of time and energy on something that doesn't matter that much. The differences are minor enough that they're going to be seen as exactly the same by most people. I happen to like E the best but I had to look at it for a few minutes to even figure out how they were different (I read the text after that ^_^; ). I like E because of the width difference between the legs and feet, it's more visually appealing, and it's the only version where the feet are front facing instead of making him duck footed.

I like the wide stance of the original, it gave him personality. Have you tried doing that with this new sprite?

Thetra

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Deutsch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
SO I think its the same Sharm said. You do work on one and the same thing. Try to do it totaly different, Color Variance of Red or Make the Jacket look a little off. I am very sorry but the only 2 diffrences I can see are the width of the first and the outward looking feet of the last :D
So I lookt at the original Char and think: 1. He has a sloppy stance, your new Sprite is like a stiff one. 2. He has a cool cappy on his head, in you bigger Sprite this is kind of smashed thin :D. 3. His hair looks Iconic to him, slightly hanging in his Face. Your bigger Character has both Eyes free and the Hair is looking to be shorter.
My Suggestion would be: Draw the cap a little more into his Face so it looks a lil bigger. Take the Hair sligtly over the left Eye of him. and Try to let his legs not get so close to each other ( not like II more like /I ... I think)

jalaire

Pixel Artist
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was hoping I could get some feedback on color options. I'm trying to see how far I can push the palette without it being too much.

A little project background just for information's sake:

- The colors need to be vivid but still pleasing to the eye.
- The general colors are based on already established characters so I can't change those.

Basically I have been staring at these colors for too long and I just can't decide which looks best. :stickytongue: Thank you!

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I like the higher contrast of 3. Hair should be shiney.

Thetra

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Deutsch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Number 3 looks best I think, just one Thing, is se waering a Dress on her shoulders? if yes I think there should be a bit of an outline cause it looks like you misscoloured her shoulders...
See the detail level of the hair compared with the shoulders look a bit off.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've changed my mind, I like 2 best. I chose 3 at first because I was on a different screen and the extra contrast counteracts the fuzzy look that the dithering gives it and adds back in some sharp lines that you'd expect from healthy hair. Unfortunately now that I'm thinking about it and giving it a second look, it's simply covering up the problems caused by the dithering and it also makes the dithering stand out. (As you can probably tell, I'm not a big fan of dithering.) I think with less or no dithering 2's colors could look sharp enough, and if you really love the dithering it's better suited for it since the colors blend better.

jalaire

Pixel Artist
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Thetra I completely agree on the shoulders. She's still very much a WIP and I still need to add more contrast to her dress. Thank you!

@Sharm I appreciate the thorough feedback.

My initial reaction was the same between 2 and 3. Going from 1 to 2 seemed like a nice improvement but then 3 seemed too much. However now the more I look at them you are right that the hair just isn't quite shiny enough in 2.

It is funny that you say that you hate dithering because I love it. I love the texture it creates. Although I admittedly probably use it too much. I'm a traditional painter at my core so I think I try to convey those textures into my pixel art, especially these characters because they were originally painted.

However my overall goal is to not make them look painted but to make them look good in pixel form. So I'm going to go back and see if cleaning up the dithering a bit will make me happier with her.

Thanks again to both of you for the feedback!

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Talking about hair...

A few days ago I decided to try and make some sprites, but since then I had one bad hair day after another (literally speaking). It generally takes me hours to figure out how to do the hair right, and currently I'm stuck with one especially tricky sprite.

It's a flamboyant man who has one side of his head shorn, and on the other side he has some kind of flowy mane, but see for yourself:

HairySprite.png

The down looking pose is basically the sample and I'm stuck at the right looking pose (where you see the curles). Please ignore the left looking sprite for now - it needs adjustments after this hairy problem is solved.

So, hours later, I'm blind for my mistakes. I tried and tried, but I can't tell what exactly the problem is. I'd like to make the bottom part in particular more vivid. It looks to me like I overdid it with the highlighting color, but if I don't use it so spacious, the pixels stand out too much (in my eyes). Maybe the contrast is too strong? I can't tell anymore, please help!

Oh, and what I wanted to ask yet: Is the back/spine of the sprite anatomic correct, actually? It seems I got something wrong with the base, which I always have to manually fix again every time I put clothes on them.

I'm sorry to bother you. Maybe I'm just seeing ghosts... I really need to go to bed now.
Anyway, I'd appreciate every advice and hint! Thanks in advance :)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm not seeing a problem. It looks good. The only thing I can possibly think of is to use a little less anti-aliasing along the top edge of the hair. Maybe let the front curl go way forward past the front of the face instead of being pushed back?

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That line on the back is really odd. I can't figure out if it's a really big armpit, the shoulder blade or the trapezius muscle. I don't think you need it. Maybe a line around the shoulder defining the ball joint if you need something there. The feet being in line with each other is also awkward, he's going to trip. Other than that it's looking really good. I like his floofy hair.

Thetra

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Deutsch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Lestroth: try to do a Moving hair, if you let the hair flow forward and backwards while wakling i think it would look nice. At the sprit which looks left, try to let the hair curle go infront of the face so it will be better seen (atm it seems to be a RPGmaker generatet Sprite with the hairlayer behind the head) and if you do the right looking sprite, let the hair move a bit, so one sprit the hair is with the shoulders the second covers the eye the third is again moving to the shoulders.

Just some impressions no need to do so.

@ RocketKnight: The Pose it self looks good just the anathomy is a bit off. I think you should set the shoulders a bit higher so it wouldn t look like he got a Blank on his back :D

Cheers

Lestroth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
@Sharm and @Thetra

Thank you both for your suggestions! I already looked over the anti-aliasing, because that was a quick fix, and it does look a bit better now.

I'd also like to make the hair move with the character, once I get the curly hair part right.

You both suggest I should let the hair cover the face of the character, right? I'll try to play around with that idea. The reason the hair now goes backwards is mainly due to other characters, who also have long hair which covers parts of the face. And because there are so few NPCs, I'd like to make them all look as distinctive as possible.

But... I already played around with the small curl aswell, so that it's now more visible and covering the face a bit. It does look better. So after all, maybe I should try another look with the hair moving forward.

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Luiishu535 The window frames look really good, I love all the variety. I don't like the second bright line to indicate the panes of glass. It ignores lighting and actually makes it look less like glass than a plain black square would. Plain or a diagonal reflective shine would be better. Whatever you use, you should try to be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

October is officially here. I'm hoping to get a call from Spirit Halloween soon. It didn't happen today, but I've got to keep my head high.
So, what is this "Inktober" everyone's speaking about? Because apparently, I have no idea what happens on this site...
O_O One day left until I can pre-order the new NSP album! Yay!
Ah, today's the start of Inktober! I should do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sillycat2